FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A.J. Smith

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2011 at 4:10pm
acclaro - like the lady on the AARP commercial: Sign Me Up!!!! Toga, toga, TOGA, TOGA!!!!!!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2011 at 6:54pm
The meeting and the promise of Cincinnati State and its impact upon bars, restaurants, and gas pumps will be profound once they decide in about 5 years, what building they will move into. Main Street will be overwhelmed with many frats/ sororities. I betthey even establish a football program to use the field down by the old McKinley school. It all makes sense for the rainy day fund to slide from 25% to 15% to make certain this invaluable well tuned investment pays off.

If I am not mistkaen, I recall another time when the 'Otter" defense was effectively used, to divert attention. That was the ploy by Larry Mulligan and Dan Picard. Even the former Gov of Illinois used it almost to perfection. Yes, the meeting last night was right out of the playbook, its the 'Otter' defense. We've seen this movie before but who gets tired of it. Get ready for more of Otter as we approach 2012, and the city is all hands on deck for keeping the .25% tax in place. AJ Smith was blindsided by.....the 'Otter' defense!

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2011 at 8:33pm
Do you thaink that AJ has been put on "double secret probation"?
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2011 at 11:14pm
spider, I don't know. I think it's a secret!!!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2011 at 11:19pm
Without question spider, without question. By Ms. G, Larry, Dan, and Mike. The problem is they don't have any authority to make him leave school, so they try to humiliate him each council session. Shhh....don't tell council, but we have put THEM on double secret probabtion as well. Good lord, what does Cincinnati State think of Middletown. Probably think its great, Greg Pratt flying around town with them in his nice white Lexus two seater, telling them they'll have free golfing at Weatherwax. But poor AJ, he's costing the city SOOOOOO Much $$$$$, all that security needed to guard LM around the clock, cruisers on standby awaiting his second draft beer. Shameful isn't it. 
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 1:30am
No-to answer your ? s.j They've wasted enough time already on this subject.
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 9:26pm
Acclaro, why do you hope things in Middletown fail?  You really want to defend the likes of AJ?  You're wondering what Cincinnati State thinks of Middletown; I'm just hoping none of them have met you.
"Ask not what your country can do for you..." JFK
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 9:47pm
VOR- you need to comprehend your thoughts. I am personal friend sof several university Presidents, including President Todd at UK (retiring) and Dave Roselle, President at Delaware. I ran IBM's global donation (Foundation) program for higher education for 20 years. You express concerns that a coroner that is now President at Cincinnati State should fear meeting me? What a joke. I think I'll call him and ask he and his VP of Strategic Planning what's the deal in Middletown that makes it so attractive.

I hope they haven't bought into the misrepresentations of the wonders of Middletown, but I have an insider I know what's driving this 'mission' VOR. As for AJ Smith, I have not defended him. I guess you are another city troll. On the contrary, I said his actions are unconscionable and shameful. I also said the actions of Dan Picard and the hypocrisy of Larry Mulligan have been as shameful.

Now what do you do for Middletown VOR, other than recite the beginning phrase of Kennedy's mantra?   
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 9:56pm
SidebarVOR. I did not pick up your other point. You are a clone of the Larry Mulligan leadership. Get the hell out of Middletown if you don't like it right? I'd love to. This city is ritten to the core with its leadership and floudering. People like you defending it and its direction, or lack thereof.

Really a studpid comment to make. I want Cincinnati State or anything to fail? What a moronic statement. No, Id rather everything the city touches to be golden, so my uality of life and my investment in property would be as high as any city in Ohio, than being flushed down the drain. There is nothing this city has done in the 23 years + I have been back, that remotely has resembled success. When your hospital, 100 year largest employeer's executive office, and countless companies leave town, its for a reason. The reason is called FAILURE VOR, CHRONIC FAILURE. By God, I'd have given anything to have seen some success. How do you explain the city diverting funds for 20 years from streets to salaries? What affect does that have on the city and SUCCESS? Forget it, you wouldn't understand. You've been brainwashed.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 10:45pm
acclaro - that might be the only way to find out what's going on with the Cincy State deal. It would be nice to get a time frame as to when this might happen.

VOR - there really is no need for personal attacks here. Frankly, it wasn't even a very good one. You could have at least pointed to acclaro's horrible spelling and said that you hoped no one at Cincy State had read anything he'd written!!! Just trying to help...

Joe Citizen View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 1:00am
I'm so happy to hear someone else pick up on the fund formerly known as the "rainy day fund" percent changes. I thought I was making things up in my head talking about it one day. That number changes like the stock market. If I recall it was 25% at one time we could not fall below or the state would come in and invade the finance department and put the directors head on a stake Sparticus style, and burn his awards in effogy. I'm sure that number will change again if the infrastructure measure gets legs. Take a page out of history FDR and the WPA. People workin and bridges and roads gettin fixed.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 7:25am

With many calling for a return to a dedicated funding of infrastructure, the question becomes HOW?  Where in that city building do you cut?  I know striking better contracts with police/fire would help but we know the wimpering dogs on the 4th floor can't do that as they might pee down their leg in a battle.  So where else does the $$ come from?  I'm guessing there isn't TOO much bloat as far as city staff, unlike the old days when you had a city manager, then assitant city manager and probably 2-3 secretaries, few of whom were doing much of anything.  Is the answer selling assets, like the golf course?  Fine...but who will buy it ?  Is the answer privatizing departments?  Not a peep about that , even from our resident Adam Smith or John Locke on council.

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 8:03am
Bill - you have an excellent point on the how. Whether passed by council thru legislation or by referendum,  it still would need to be implemented and 1/5 of the income tax revenues going to this will affect other services. I don't see selling assets and I'm opposed to privatization of government services because companies should not be profiting from taxpayer funds. If there is any bloat in city staff it will be used to keep police and fire (I hope).
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 9:35am
TonyB, you commmentary on spelling may have been in jest, but if not, as this is aboyt my 10th response (and I never kae it a pt to reference inaccuracies in other spelling as its quite apparnt when one doesn't use a spelcheck and is typing away at 90 wpm, the hands most times, are faster than the keyboard). My focus is more on the message and opinion, not the keyboard, or using a spell check which I actually have excellent skills, so I do apologize for my rapid fire strokes. If that offends or you think the pselling is a distraction, well my friend, sorry, but I will not waste time proff-reading, do tyoe nearly 95 wpm, and I never make a pt to infer errors made by speed done by others, including sj and others. I also use a small Blackberry, so that's the deal.

As for the infrastructure funds, I hope you and Bill are also joking about that position. You both can't be serious? Its is more important to not have your funds dedicated to road repair than having someone getting a salary---you have to be kidding? You two must not hear much about Middletown from others and what it has done to further decline property values. You could easily take at least another 30% of out dowtown Middletown staff and not miss a beat. But to say openly you'd rather have a salary paid than asphalt on a road, that was intended in 1986 to be a short fix, perhaps 3-4 years in contrast to 25 years, that's unconscionable and a detriment to those that have not seen asphalt repairs on their street in 25 years or greater. It brings property values down drastically and reflects a devoid of pride by the city that harms Middletown far more than you apparently realize.

Well,you two have you choice, one assumes you both are petitioning the city and neighbors to pay for your own street repairs right? In the future, I will pull back my typing speed to 45 wpm TonyB. As my father was an English teacger, I was taight at age 5 to never use a preposition at the end of a sentence and I assuredly can spell (LOL).   
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 9:40am
TonyB- out of curiousity, what do you perceive the function of a city government to be if you don't agree with selling assets? A city is supposed to be in the hosuing business, run 36 hole golf courses, and aurports? I don't think so, A city protects, provides basic services, and does so at the most economical rate possibile. How these assets fall into that arena I disagree, So by your thinking, its more important to maintain te greens at Weatherwax and its asphalt, thanour streets? I see why we have many problems in Middletown.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 10:08am
acclaro, I would be happy to lop off heads if their was "fat" in the city building.  I'm guessing at this point that any significant cutting would involve essentially getting rid of whole departments -- HR?  IT? the Health Dept?  the Water Dept?  So the answer then becomes either looking at privatization or merging services with Butler County.  And I think we should look at that.  But any cutting that is not significant, e.g. laying off a few secretaries, may result in enough road improvement funding to repave a street the size of Walton Court and that ain't gonna cut it.  So what's the answer?  Everyone talks about reinstituting this road fund as if there is a pot of $ out there but consdiering the low tax revenues compared to 1986 it would be like setting up a household emergency day fund by saving $1 a week.  whoopee
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 10:13am
The City could easily get out of the golf business through a number of options. Gilleland is afraid to take on the tough issues.

She punts on the big difficult decisions.
Jlaubach View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlaubach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 10:27am
TonyB,

I would like to touch on your point concerning profits. Profits serve a vital role in the market place. Profits create incentives for entrepreneurs to efficiently and effectively use scare resources(Land, Labor, Capital or Tax $). In addition, they also serve as signal to other producers that there are needs and desires for a certain product or service.
In addition, competitive and unbiased bidding of certain services would give the taxpayers the most for their money. This is something that should be clamored for by taxpayers. Why? Because they get the most from the dollars they spend. However, when contrasting this with the situation that allows only one group to profit without fear of competition(monopoly), I would most certainly agree with your concern in regards to profits.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 10:32am
Bill, TonyB......on the subject of where to cut in city government....

I would be willing to bet that one could examine the entire hierarchy of the city building, reviewing each department and each position within that department, and find some duplication of effort, find some situations where there is glorified "paper-pushers" up and down the line and people retained where the position could be eliminated and the job incorporated into someone else's job who remained on the payroll.

An example:

When I was a participant on Billy Becker's street repair committee several years ago, Ginger Smith (now retired by force) was the Director of Public Works. We received a handout of the hierarchy of the Public Works Department. I saw first hand, the positions within this department. It had eight people.

A Director (G. Smith)

An Assistant Manager

A Supervisor

A Team Leader

That's your management people

Three operators

One admin.

The workers

Now, you tell me why any department needs four management positions to monitor the activities of three workers plus an admin.?

Waste- big time!

There's an example of money- savings- cut three of the four management positions saving on salaries and benefit/retirement costs and have the remaining manager a working manager at that.

When I questioned Smith about this structure and suggested eliminating several management positions for cost savings, Gilleland, who was sitting two people away, had this "incredulous" look on her face, Smith, the Director got all defensive, Marconi,sitting across the room from me had this grinning "cat that ate the canary look" on his face, Becker had this look of anger that I would even mention such a thing, and I was in my glory , that I had pissed most of them off. How dare I suggest that they downsize their little kingdom at the mention of a mere unimportant citizen. Dam I loved irritating them!

I would imagine this same scenario could be played out in most every department in the city building. Bet any of us could go in and find many instances of waste and places to cut people from the city payroll. Hell, you could fire half of the Directors for incompetence right now including the Law Director and the Planning Director. Should have fired the Econ. Dev. Director but he beat us to the punch by quitting.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 10:36am
acclaro - of course it was in jest!!! Personal attacks are just not necessary here so I thought I'd  offer an absurd example!!! If you check my posts, they are full of spelling erors, gramatical, punctuation; and besides. lmao!!! I have a hard enough time just typing: I have no room to criticize anyone.

I don't like the idea of disposing of public property. I also don't think that the government should have much of it either. The golf course is a recreation asset like parks and since it is a revenue producer (or should be), it can provide revenues that can maintain other park and recreational assets that don't produce revenue. I agree completely that the city shouldn't be in the real estate business and that there should be some kind of mechanism to return real estate to private ownership. The airport I see like the golf course; a revenue producer that can be used to provide other services. These things diversify the revenue stream so that taxes aren't the only means to provide government services. I've mentioned before that it doesn't make much sense to have great parks and crummy roads. That's what priorities are about but when you have assets, they have to be used to get the best return on investment. Elected officials owe that to the public.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 10:50am
Mr. Laubach thank you for your post .

I wholeheartedly agree that profit is the point of private enterprise. Without it, our economic system does not function. This works very well in the private sector.
The public sector is different. The idea is not profit, but service. It is a different dynamic because everyone is a shareholder. The services provided are unique in the sense that they are controlled by elected officials. Yes, you can always bid out services but you lose control once the contract is signed. I agree that return on investment is the goal in public services but a private company will not do a job that they cannot make a profit from. If a private company can do it for less, why can't the public sector. The very fact that you're not figuring a profit into the equation should provide cost savings. IMO, this is where governments are looking for a quick fix instead of solving the real problem and that is providing services with public money in the most efficient and effective manner possible. It is the public officials duty to do that, not pass the responsibility to the private sector.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 11:00am
Tony, the golf course has been losing $ for several years now and I see no reason to think it will change.  Sell it and the city will make a little $ as well as being free from the burden of future losses.

I think your point about "why can't the public sector do it for less" is pollyannish.  There is no chance that the entrenched lifers that are city management are capable of running a tight ship -- and this is true for just about every government level in the country.  There is no culture, no stomach, no desire, no will, and no training for government senior or middle management to all of a sudden get MBA training or take some Six Sigma or ISO training and start cutting all the fat at city hall, requiring more work for less pay, and in general whipping One Donham Plaza into an efficient machine that would be the envy of Fortune 500 companies. Ain't gonna happen.

So the only answer is consolidation of services or privatization.  The latter could be accomplished with proper investigation of the vendors, discussions with other cities who have done it, heck even paying a consultant a reasonable one-time fee to facilitate it.  You either have very favorable out clauses in the contract or you start out with a short contract, maybe a year, to cover yourself and go from there.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 11:31am
TonyB....

"Yes, you can always bid out services but you lose control once the contract is signed"

Not ncecessarily. Actually the city just demonstrated that you can get rid of a poor performer (CONSOC with the Section 8 program) and replace it with another private company who may do a better job and possibly for less money.

"The public sector is different. The idea is not profit, but service"

Just because the public service is in the business of providing a service rather than making a profit, doesn't mean that they shouldn't require operating at the best value for the dollar. IMO, whether private or public, especially in these tough economic times, the city should be constantly shopping for the best deal for the money. The city is also suppose to be in the business of providing the taxpayer the best return for the dollar on all services provided or contracted out but sometimes they fail miserably in this category.

Oh, by the way TonyB, Bill is correct about the golf course. The city has been plowing $200,000 in it each year to keep it operational for years. Don't think it turns a profit at all. Must keep it open for their buds, certainly not because it is an excellent value for the money.

Bill is also correct in saying that the people occupying the city building don't care to operate in an economical way. I believe they are certainly capable of tightening the belt, Gilleland has said she is tightening the belt, but when you read in the help wanted ads that they are hiring an admin. assist. in the Public Works Department, it appears the city manager is about to see her nose grow a little longer. What they say and what they do are two different things most of the time. They have not been schooled in the art of bs very well.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 11:38am
Vet - my contention is that elected officials should be the ones managing the services provided, not shopping them out. The very fact that the city had to take the time to find someone else when if they were in charge it could have been handled more efficiently; indeed, it should never have happened in the first place!!! GOVERNMENT IS NOT BUSINESS!!! The best deal for the money; return on investment, is exactly why government should provide those services. That is the mandate of government and if they fail, you VOTE THEM OUT!!! 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 12:05pm
TonyB-

"Vet - my contention is that elected officials should be the ones managing the services provided, not shopping them out".

Not if the shopped out services can be done cheaper, more efficiently and a better deal for the taxpayer. Everyday here at work, working at Wright-Patt around government people as a DOD contractor, I see the horrific waste from within the government ranks. I would imagine, if they gave me a clipboard, gave me the authority and let me go around to monitor the day to day activities of all these government jobs, I could clear out half this base of inefficiency, duplicate paper-shuffling jobs, too many passing papers for signatures from desk to desk, etc. Typical government environment. Happens at the city level here in Middletown too.

"The very fact that the city had to take the time to find someone else when if they were in charge it could have been handled more efficiently"

Tony, Tony, Tony......think about the quality of the city leaders abilities in this town. From a commonsense standpoint, these same people who hired CONSOC in the first place, and replaced them later, are the same people who are screwing up this city. Did you actually think they wouldn't screw this decision up also? They rarely make the correct decision on anything. Commonsense is not on their agenda....ever.

"The best deal for the money; return on investment, is exactly why government should provide those services"

NO!!!!!!! The best deal for the money/return on investment is exactly why the government should STAY OUT OF providing those services. They are constantly screwing up a sure thing on anything they do!!!! The government is the WORST JUDGE OF VALUE because they live in a world where accountability of value does not exist. Hence the term GOVERNMENT WASTE.

"That is the mandate of government and if they fail, you VOTE THEM OUT!!!"

And replace them with ..........who? Another candidate that is just as bad or worse? That's the problem Tony, when we all go to the polls to replace the clowns we originally voted for, we find that in most cases, we have no real choices. Example: City council......We want to replace the clowns (aka The Four Horsemen of the Apocalyse)...Becker, Mulligan, Picard, Allen.....problem is, when we go to the polls, we see their names as incumbants running again and we also see .......no other name on the ballot to vote for change. The same old faces win by default as they have no competition or, the MMF'ers mount such a blitz at the polls for their candidate, the challenger doesn't have a prayer's chance in hell of overcoming the onslaught. Competent people with a commonsense agenda, with adequate funding, with enough people going to the polls to overcome the MMF candidate is the only way we will weed these MMF candidates out.    

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic