FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NIce deal where can I sign up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NIce deal where can I sign up?
    Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 7:16am

Chief deputy retires, rehired by county sheriff

By Michael D. Pitman, Staff Writer 9:47 PM Monday, April 11, 2011

HAMILTON — Butler County Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Anthony Dwyer is taking a 15 percent cut to keep his job, which now pays $90,000 a year.

Dwyer, 48, retired on March 31 and was rehired on April 4. The practice, also known as double dipping, involves a government employee retiring to draw a pension and retaining a government job.

“It’s not uncommon for people to reach retirement age and take other jobs,” Dwyer said referring to others in the county who retired and were hired in a different jurisdiction. “That was an option that was open to me and I was looking at that option, quite frankly.”

Dwyer said Sheriff Richard K. Jones wanted to keep the long-time chief deputy who started his career working in the county jail at 21.

In addition to the cut in pay — which went from $105,941.48 to $90,050.48 — Dwyer said he wanted to stay in his current job, second-in-command in the sheriff’s office hierarchy. Though he is “retired.” he said he wasn’t ready to quit working.

As part of the agreement, the standard 18.1 percent match into the state retirement program is reduced to 14 percent and now paid into an annuity, a post-retirement savings account.

Dwyer also gives up his accrued sick hours. In his retirement package, the chief deputy was paid 320 hours of sick time; he had accrued 2,732 hours.

“He’s got his time in and was looking to draw his retirement and put his time in elsewhere,” Jones said. “I need him right where he is. He’s a very valuable employee to me.”

Jones said he’s reduced in half the number of majors and captains in his administration in recent years.

Dwyer said he believes many people don’t fully understand the retire-rehire process.

“Sometimes they don’t understand that if I left ... there’s still going to be someone going to be taking my spot,” he said.

Sgt. Jeff Gebhart, president of the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 101 which represents the sheriff deputies, said it’s what the system allows.

“He has a lot of experience that’s important to the operations to the sheriff’s office,” he said.

Contact this reporter at (513)

820-2175

or

mpitman

@coxohio.com.

Follow at twitter.com/mdpitman.

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 7:40am
I am sick and tired of the justification "it's what the system allows"!!! WRONG IS WRONG!!! What part of wrong let's a system be put in place in the first place that takes advantage of the taxpayer like this that elected officials don't understand. Damn straight I don't understand a retirement system that let's you keep the same job!!! What part of the word "retirement" don't you understand, Mr. Dwyer. I appreciate your years of service but how can you possibly justify getting a raise in pay (pension + new salary) and the fact that there will be a new hire to "take your spot". What part of "financial crisis" is lost on you? If you can still do the job, don't retire. If you no longer can do the job, retire and we'll find someone else. this may be a "Win - Win" for ths sherriff's department but its a losing proposition for taxpayers. If you can't see that, try to see the situation thru the eyes of citizens you serve. Taxpayer pays more for the same service is the bottom line!!!
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 8:21am
the SB5 bill will not stop CORRUPT management  from paying OUTRAGEOUS Salaries..
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 9:02am
bumper - Does SB5 stop this kind of civil service double-dipping? I don't think so. The bill doesn't do anything to reform the civil service system; if it does, I haven't seen evidence of it.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 9:25am
I don't know if SB5 addresses that but it might address the retirement age.  Ohio could make this more difficult to do by increasing the retirement age by 5 years.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 9:51am
no it does not.. it does not stop the problem of where it all started in management, this bill will do more harm than good,Confused imo
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 11:21am
All of us have been reading about the public's recent outrage and directing that outrage toward the public sector jobs. This doesn't make it any easier to support public sector people.

This article further engrains the anger I have right now with the public "inner circle" system which fosters public servant double-dippers. Dwyer is but a long list of double-dipper, keep it in the family, protect their own type of culture in this dam county and across the nation. It is time to stop this crap now. I have supported Jones on past issues and admire his tenacity in the sheriffs deparment, particularly with ICE and ridding the county of illegals. However, I can't agree with him on the subject of retire/rehire. This is a load of bull Jones.

Let Dwyer and the others retire, collect their pension and let a new up-and-coming person take his place and put in their time toward retirement. Happens alot with school superintendents too. Disgusting that no resistance and outrage has occurred from the general public concerning this subject. JMO
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 1:01pm
Well so much for creating jobs or a job. By Dwyer being rehired that knocks someone out of a job.

Way to go Sheriff Jones (aka Arpaio jr.)
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 10:11pm
Vet - if Mr. Dwyer were actually resigning and leaving the Dept, what would be the hiring procedure to fill the vacancy? If he retired, should there not have been a search for a replacement as required by law? Just wondering...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic