Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Right time to invest in US stock market?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tamar View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Right time to invest in US stock market?
    Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 7:38am
Recently, I read an article on mikeastrachan's blogs that “Leading economist in the US market claims that the US stock market has the potential to rise over 50% in the next couple of years. He recommends buying options, or to be fully invested in stocks but buy protection through out of the money put options, for example S&P puts. Is it true?
Source:http://www.mikeastrachan.com/2011/03/31/the-us-stock-market-wants-to-go-up-part-ii/
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 8:04pm
I think there will be a pause in the market due to QE2 funding ending.
I would make a wish list of stocks to buy, and wait for a pull back to invest.

I have an investment website where I discuss some of my buys, sells, puts and calls in stocks and etfs. If you are interested please visit:

http://stockbanter.com/
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 9:30pm
Mr. Beagle, so you are one of the future speculators driving up crude to $7.00/gallon? Shame/ shame. Kidding of course.
Tamar View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2011 at 3:53am
"John Beagle" I visited your website. it is packed with good info. Keep it up will help to many people.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2011 at 11:46am
According to Pat Robertson everyone needs to put their money in oil & gold. He predicts oil to hit >$300 per barrel and gold to hit >$1,600 an once. He is excited and so am I !! He is excited because he will make $millions,I'm excited because if oil gets that high I'll be Amish. Anyone know where I can buy a good horse ?

Futures is looking good,they say put your money in corn,I plan to.Along with a row of corn I'll plant some tomatoes,beans,squash,carrots.While people with money make millions I may starve to death but hey,who am I ?

No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2011 at 5:33pm
Funny guy. lol
John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2011 at 5:33pm
Thanks allot!
John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2011 at 5:34pm
I think Oil has too much downside risk right now.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2011 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

...Anyone know where I can buy a good horse ?
I suggest the Blooded Horse Sales, an auction held a couple of times every year at the fairgrounds in Delaware, Ohio.  The majority of horses sold there are already broken to harness, and there is an equipment sale held each day of the auction prior to the horse sales.
I believe the next one is scheduled for early in May.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Tamar View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2011 at 2:30am
Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

Yes, therefore waiting for some good news from Oil industry.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2011 at 9:31am
Tamar - the only good news the oil industry is looking for is the price continuing to climb and troubles in oil producing areas. By the way, had the Federal government simply cut oil industry subsidies, they would have cut $40b off the budget deficit without doing anything else!!! Anyone want to justify an industry making record profits and getting government subsidies?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2011 at 12:02pm

How could there possibly be a downside to a multi-billion dollar industry with guaranteed profit ?? Like TonyB said,$40 billion in subsidies from our illustrious & charitable government plus what we pay at the pump and the only downside I see is my car only gets 22 mile to the gallon.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2011 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

...Anyone know where I can buy a good horse ?
I suggest the Blooded Horse Sales, an auction held a couple of times every year at the fairgrounds in Delaware, Ohio.  The majority of horses sold there are already broken to harness, and there is an equipment sale held each day of the auction prior to the horse sales.
I believe the next one is scheduled for early in May.

I need a buggy too,I know where I can get an Amish built buggy for about $2500.Of course thats a stripped down model,no tail lights,no carpeting,just AM & FM radio.Anyone know what the city reg's are for keeping a horse in the backyard ? Confused
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2011 at 12:40pm
A number of things can happen to make oil drop like a stone.

1. With fuel costs still on the rise, Sen. Robert Menedez again called upon President Barack Obama to release 50 million gallons of oil from the nation’s strategic petroleum reserves.

2. Thanks to new technology the Bakken Formation in North Dakota could boost America’s Oil reserves by an incredible 10 times

3. Stronger US dollar will reduce the cost of oil, so if and when the fed gets off its duff and tightens the money supply, we might see lower oil prices.

4. One of the biggest factors in high oil prices, according to many experts, is that investors, such as hedge funds and investment bankers, can use loopholes in commodities law to manipulate the market and drive crude oil, heating oil, gasoline and diesel fuel prices to new heights. When new highs are reached, investors sell and shell short to crash the market to start over again. Savy investors make money on the way down by shorting the stock or selling calls or buying puts.

Crude oil prices behave much as any other commodity with wide price swings in times of shortage or oversupply. I'm waiting for another drop to invest.

How could there possibly be a downside to a multi-billion dollar industry with guaranteed profit ?? Like TonyB said,$40 billion in subsidies from our illustrious & charitable government plus what we pay at the pump and the only downside I see is my car only gets 22 mile to the gallon.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2011 at 3:26pm

Mr. Beagle,  I believe you'll be waiting a VERY long time for oil to drop in price. Frist of all, the FED will not be tightening the money supply. Releasing the Strategic Oil Reserve is just plain stupid. A rise in price does not constitute an emergency. When this country is not receiving oil from abroad, then  we might need to release the reserve. Could, maybe and might is just as bad as the speculation on oil currently so there is no relief in supply. The whole "crash the market" ethic (or lack thereof) is the rich preying on the poor. And please, don't give me that "but it's legal" bs, because it is WRONG!!!  You want to invest in something? I'd say food would be the way to go because if the rich have there way, they'll try to corner the market on that, too! At least then you won't starve!!!

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2011 at 12:21pm
Oil lost more than $2 a barrel Monday as another move by China to slow its booming economy and a stronger dollar pushed prices down...

Source: http://www.whsv.com/nationalap/headlines/Price_per_Barrel_of_Oil_Down_as_China_Tried_to_Slow_Economy_120067419.html
John Beagle

Middletown USA

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2011 at 12:26pm
Saudi Arabia also cut production in the last month by 800,000 barrels per day.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2011 at 2:11pm
OPEC Says No Shortage of Oil, Price Has Premium of $15-$20

By Robert Tuttle and Dahlia Kholaif - Apr 18, 2011 6:45 AM ET

Oil officials from Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates, Iran joined Saudi Arabia, the world’s biggest crude exporter, in saying there is no shortage of fuel in the market.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-18/opec-says-no-shortage-of-oil-price-has-premium-of-15-20-2-.html

John Beagle

Middletown USA

arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 10:01am
On a slightly related note:

I heard a interview on NPR a few weeks ago. The guest mentioned that the energy policies of the current administration have directly lead to a cut in the nations overall energy supply of about 10%.

FAIL!
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 10:46am
Originally posted by arwendt arwendt wrote:

On a slightly related note:

I heard a interview on NPR a few weeks ago. The guest mentioned that the energy policies of the current administration have directly lead to a cut in the nations overall energy supply of about 10%.

FAIL!

An anonymous guest suggests something and it's a fact? First of all, the current and previous administrations are directly to blame for this; not to mention the Congress. Presidents from Nixon on have been saying we need a comprehensive energy policy yet nothing has happened. Now that the addiction to oil is becoming increasingly more expensive, will anyone step up and provide leadership on this? I hear a lot of talk and I see a lot of finger pointing but I don't see anyone offering a real solution other than "fracking" for natural gas.  I agree with you about your FAIL assessment but you don't spread the blame nearly far enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic