FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Treasurer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Treasurer
    Posted: Apr 18 2011 at 6:56am
Today's Journal..

Search on for next Middletown schools treasurer

MIDDLETOWN — The Middletown City Schools Board of Education is gearing up its search for a new treasurer in one of the most financially stressful times in recent memory.

“(The OSBA) can use all their contacts and their skills in bringing candidates in, helping with the screening process and making arrangements with them in terms of any further interviews,” Andrew said. “No one on the board is an expert on recruiting experts to anywhere, let alone a school district.”

We hear about supers and treasurers moving from district to district an awful lot, don't we? Sometimes you hear where some of these people spend their whole careers in transit, making the rounds with each district, yet, never leaving the area. Alot of recycled education people being rehired locally.
jsmith2011 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2011 at 8:03pm
I heard she was asked to resign by the board.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2011 at 12:22pm
January 09, 2009, Lisa Fahncke interviews for job along with :

Todd Puster is the treasurer of Streetsboro City Schools in northeast Ohio.

Jeff Schroeder is the director of accounting and finance for Toledo City Schools.

John Wilkinson is the treasurer for Three Rivers Local Schools outside Cincinnati.

Lisa Fahncke is the treasurer for Riverside Local Schools which is an hour north of Dayton.

Mark Zimov is the treasurer of Madison Local Schools.

All from area school districts, are they part of the recycled school group VietVet?

Eric Stotzing was here predecessor. Trying to think who was before Eric. Sure seems like no one wants the job.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2011 at 3:14pm
No, they are not John. I was referring to people that seem to make the rounds locally like the superintendent that went from Valley View to Franklin to Madison or something like that. Seems we have some career movers/transfer people who are playing musical chairs within the school districts at times. Most of the people on your list are out of area people seeking this local position. Perhaps they played the old "recycled/move around every year" game in their respective areas prior to applying here. Don't know as we normally don't get out of area information as to who has moved around alot as much as we receive the movers in our own little world.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2011 at 3:45pm
Ed Pokora was before Eric
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2011 at 10:03pm
Ed Pokora was with the district for a very long time and was a fine treasurer.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 7:01pm
I was supporting your very good point.

Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

No, they are not John. I was referring to people that seem to make the rounds locally like the superintendent that went from Valley View to Franklin to Madison or something like that. Seems we have some career movers/transfer people who are playing musical chairs within the school districts at times. Most of the people on your list are out of area people seeking this local position. Perhaps they played the old "recycled/move around every year" game in their respective areas prior to applying here. Don't know as we normally don't get out of area information as to who has moved around alot as much as we receive the movers in our own little world.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 7:02pm
How could I have forgotten. I'm getting old because I have great respect for Mr. Pokora.

Originally posted by Smartman Smartman wrote:

Ed Pokora was before Eric
John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 7:03pm
I agree

Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

Ed Pokora was with the district for a very long time and was a fine treasurer.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Happens in the private sector as well...so I really don't know what your point is.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 6:22am
swohio75- Disagree with you that it happens in the private sector. CEO's and lesser management positions come and go in the private sector.....true. However, when a CEO (or lesser management position) leaves a company around here, they normally don't relocate to an area company like the supers in schools do. They normally locate out of state/town. Don't see execs going from local company to local company too often, do you? That was my point......the habitual local shuffling of school supers and treasurers. I think Superintendent York(?) has occupied many local super positions, hasn't he? Probably (as in speculating) announced his retirement and promptly took another super job, double dipping.
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 2:21pm
I was reading over on the Monroe site that their Treasurer took the job.

Kelley Thorpe

Can anyone verify this?
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 3:45pm
John, That would be correct.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 3:48pm

School treasurer leaves Monroe for Middletown

By Andy Sedlak, Staff Writer 2:18 PM Thursday, July 7, 2011

MIDDLETOWN — The new treasurer of Middletown City Schools will come from a neighboring district.

School officials announced on Thursday that Kelly R. Thorpe — treasurer for Monroe Local Schools — will become the district’s financial leader starting Aug. 1.

Thorpe, a Miami University graduate, has more than 15 years of experience in finance and education. She has served as the treasurer for Monroe schools for the past four years.

Thorpe will see her salary jump from approximately $67,000 a year at Monroe to $85,000 per year in Middletown. She’ll go from overseeing a staff of three to a staff of eight.

Middletown’s operating budget is almost five times larger than Monroe’s.

“It will be a challenge to go from (Monroe’s) $18 million operating budget to Middletown’s $70 million operating budget,” Thorpe, 41, said. “I’m excited. It’s a wonderful opportunity for me professionally.”

Brett Guido, a member of the Monroe school board, said in a special board meeting last week, the district made the decision to have Daniel Hare, of the Butler County Educational Service Center, conduct the search for Monroe’s next treasure. However nothing has been decided as to who might fill in until a new treasurer is hired.

In June, the Middletown Board of Education approved a resolution that served as a uniform salary reduction for all district employees. Employees will be paying an extra 5 percent on their health insurance premiums and, in each of the next two years, they will take a 1 percent salary cut.

The concessions made by other employees will be reflected in Thorpe’s new three-year contract, said Marcia Andrew, president of the Middletown school board.

Andrew said Thorpe’s input over the next three years will be vital as changes at the state level continue to unfold.

“To be honest, we’re looking to her to help us navigate those waters,” Andrew said.

Thorpe and her husband, Brad, have two sons: Andy, 17, will be a senior at Monroe next year and Matt, 15, will be a junior.

Contact this reporter at (513) 705-2871 or asedlak@coxohio.com

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 3:59pm
Gotta love it.Ill bet we aren't good enough for her two kids to go to school here but see how fast she took an 18,000 $ raise.Do ya think she will have to sterilize her self every day before she goes into her house ?
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 8:11pm
Bocephus- thats terrible but I'm LOL!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2011 at 10:06am
Simply goes to show how the Ohio school systems are all the same, and have the mandate associated with curriculum, and statutory rules to abide. The movemnet back and forth is insulting. It shows that consolidation within the state could save billions of dollars in redundancy. Think of a school district as a district office for IBM. They sell the same products, but each county has it own buses to maintain, its incredible redundnant overhead. Think of the IBM branch in Middletown having a EVP, 20 to offivers, a treasurer (CFO), about 9 physchologists, in other words, everything youd expect at the corporate site in Armong New York.

There my friends, is your Ohio public school system. Riddled with redundancy, inefficency, waste, and billions could be taken out in a matter of a few years by central consolidation So, its no different in function, for a treasurer in a small town like Monroe, to hop right down to Middletown, in a larger district, the functions are the same, the distance just 5 miles. That's why the midwest is so enamered with overhead, from the state workers, the county workers, the state universities 9among the top 5 in the nation), and the school system. Inefficiency rules. This movement illuminates such in a startling manner.    

Time the state whittle away another few $ bb in the school dustricts and consolidate central functions. We do not need every county in Ohio having their own corporate office for the same product, the same function.

I'm moving south, Texas, as the cost of gas, the deteriation of the rust belt, and the shell once called with pride Middletown, will see no return to glory. Add up the top 5% ranking of the public school system (university), and this state has more problems than any solutions it can bring to the table.

Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2011 at 3:36pm
You guys don't know what you are getting yourselves into. As much as Ms. Thorpe is a nice person, she is a victim of the peter principle.

I once overheard her say that Monroe has plenty of time to fix the 2014 insolvency issue. Look at her projections for Monroe Schools and you might want someone with a greater since of urgency. No plan is in place to fix Monroe's school budget.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2011 at 8:28pm
Hey acclaro.... BYE!!!!! LMAO!!!!! LOL
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2011 at 10:31am
Hey Smartman, anyone who criticizes your school system you like to pull their feathers don't you, but AJ Smith, others, you tar and feather them. What benefits you is all you care about. But...it will be a pleasure to get the hell out of this city and i am so thankful to be able to do so. Let you rah rah the school system as they gave your daughter that 4.0 GPA wasn't it you said a year ago? Assuredly, your influence had nothing to do with my decision, it just took six years to find a buyer for my house. Save your jokes for the next CI ranking Smartman. You might think that's equally funny....I don't, it cost me money.
sassygirl View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2011 at 10:47am
Isn't the new treasurer , Ms. Thorpe, the one who had to borrow money to make payroll in Monroe? Why would the board hire someone who would let her district get into a situation like that?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2011 at 6:39am
Originally posted by Jonathan Haller Jonathan Haller wrote:

You guys don't know what you are getting yourselves into. As much as Ms. Thorpe is a nice person, she is a victim of the peter principle.

I once overheard her say that Monroe has plenty of time to fix the 2014 insolvency issue. Look at her projections for Monroe Schools and you might want someone with a greater since of urgency. No plan is in place to fix Monroe's school budget.

Sep 29 Journal article....

Fiscal caution designation puts school district in financial hole

MONROE — The Monroe Local School District has been placed under fiscal caution by the Ohio Department of Education.

The ODE, which told the district of the designation this week, said it typically takes four years to recover from the fiscal caution status.

Ulm said the issue was an “oversight” by former Treasuer Kelley Thorpe, who has since taken a job with Middletown City Schools.

UH OH.......IN HINDSIGHT, DID MIDDLETOWN MAKE THE CORRECT CHOICE IN THEIR TREASURER SELECTION? LOOKS LIKE SHE CREATED AN "OVERSIGHT" (I LIKE THAT PHRASE) THAT HAS THE MONROE SCHOOLS IN A FINANCIAL "PICKLE".

DID MS. THORPE KNOW THIS AND CHOSE TO "MOVE ON"? ONE COULD ASK.
AKBobby View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKBobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2011 at 8:01am
Oh wow....what a mess
AK - What is going on with that?
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2011 at 4:15pm
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2011 at 4:36pm

Mr. Beagle:

You leave me speechless (a condition in which I seldom find myself Big%20smile).
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic