FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sure Would Have Been Nice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sure Would Have Been Nice
    Posted: Apr 20 2011 at 7:16am
Today's Journal......

Middletown will lose $2M through state budget cuts

The city may be facing big cuts after learning state budget changes could cost Middletown $2 million in funding.

City Manager Judy Gilleland said the city was already poised to lose $221,000 this year due to cuts to the local government fund as outlined in Gov. John Kasich’s state budget. Now a 54-percent reduction in reimbursements for the tangible personal property tax — a business tax — could reduce Middletown’s state funding as much as $874,000 this year and $1.1 million in 2012, Gilleland said.

“It’s important that we make our state elected officials aware of how this budget will affect Middletown,” she said.

Before the state funding cuts, Middletown was set to deficit spend $762,000 this year to cover its increasing costs with shrinking revenues, according to the city budget.

Relying on fed money handouts to run fed programs and not making the effort to attract decent jobs and companies into town for revenue in the last 30 years.

How's that lookin' for ya now city leaders? No one behind that council desk nor sitting in that city manager seat looking out for the future for 30 frikkin' years.

Vice Mayor Bill Becker suggested the city should be looking at more cooperative efforts with other cities that will also be feeling the pinch.

“Those communities that survive will be the ones that work together to get through this,” he said.

How's that gonna help Becker? Do you think other communities are going to share any goodies they have with Middletown? Does Middletown have anything to offer in it's current condition? Do you really think that other towns will be that cooperative in these tough economic times? Some surrounding communities still remember the land grabs years ago. Think Franklin and others out east will help Middletown? Doubtful with the past relationships Middletown has had with them. It may have come back to bite you Becker.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2011 at 7:56am
Vet, notice how now that Rome has been burning for some time one of the hapless centurions who should have been doing something about these issues for years cries out once again "beware citizens!  Some tough choices must be made!" all while he is not only unwilling to take the lead and offer up any tough choices himself but he was one of those partially responsible for the fire!

Is there someone on council who will step kowtowing to everyone else and actually LEAD?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2011 at 9:00am
I thought that everything went well and was expidited with only 4 Councilmembers and vice mayor Becker running the show. I was surprised at how he brought citizens' concerns genuinely into the mix without our Mayor's "We aren't set up to answer ?s" and "Pack your bags and leave" approach. Really opened my eyes to the type of person we need in the centerpiece role(with an election up-coming!). No 7 people trying to get in their say--no personal attacks or one-upmanship. Correct that we don't need 7 Councilmembers, though the elimination of wards helped to destroy any remaining neighborhood feel or thinking(along with the school system's consolidation plans).
other opinions?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2011 at 10:25am
Vet, Mr. Becker's referemce as it is routinely made, but rarely, if not ever, actied upon, wnen he says "neighborhood or regional cooperation" is a meaning to a word used often on this forum, ;everaging eonomioes of scale and scope. In other words, by combing the volume of Hamiltion, just using an example, with the volume of Middletown, can water costs be reduced. et al? The problem with Mr. Becker is he uses these examples, but his interest and meaning is only in the area of functional employees, Full Time Equivalent (FTE) employees. Because that's where the budget is consumed right, about 75%? So, as I have said before, using his comparision, how could the city partner with another or many others, to reduce salalry overhead and FTE's?

That dilemma is the city doesn't want to cut headcount, they never have. For years, they have these phanton jobs, and then don't fill them, and act as if that is a job cut. Mr. Becker just goes round and round because when he means consolidation and cooperation gaining ecnomies of scale and scope, he doesn't realize what he is advocating. Can we reduce 30% of the police by using the sheriff's office, 40% of the fire department by using volunteers?

His remarks hence have no meat, no teeth, as the city just will not make cuts period.

So the reality, when these statements are made by council, Ms. G, others, it is really getting you teed up, for a 2.0% tax increase. See, Hamilton has a 2.0%, and the city knows you either work in Middletown, Hamilton, or mostly Dayton or Cincinnati which is 2.0%or >. So, these "budget concerns" are code to let you know, "here comes the levy", not 1.75%, but 2%.

As for Mr. Becker, he's been talking about regionalism and cooperation, or economies of scale/ scope for years, and nothing has ever come out of it. Could purchasing gain a better price by combining their needs with Butler Cty cities? Perhaps. But, would there be cut backs in employees which would be meaningful? No, not by this council, it will not happen.

And when all this continuous discussion on woe is Middletown is stated, you know who gets hit the hardest? The tax payer, who sees their property just keep plummeting because of the knowledge by others Middletown cannot run a city efficiently, is wasteful, won't maintian its infratsructure, tries to make a dime anyway it can, from traffic lights, to hustling you and your neighbor to have the city advance you the money to fix your street, while you pay them back for a job and duty they owe you.

So, my online friend, that is what you heard. Tax levy coming, and Mr. Becker still doesn't comprehend the concept of operating economies of scale and scope. At the end of the day, your next buyer of your property hears: "my, this city of Middletown is really messed up, always raising taxes, no sense of direction, the bottom still years away from falling on real estate."        
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2011 at 1:41pm
With possibly $2MM out of city coffers, even the weak-kneed panderers on council need to admit it's time to cut.  That is unless they want to bring down the unassailable 20%, 10%, make that 5% reserve fund.  

Whether it's public safety, canal, or Lefferson Rd. people, I'm tired of the dawdling, tired of the endless opportunity for public comments, tired of council tap dancing and double-talking to citizens.  I don't care what the policy is -- roll it out for public comment and then make a decison!  Take some incontinence medication and stand by your decision. 

And what does this mean for the $2mm shortfall?  Someone (Becker obviously won't DO anything about cutting or regionalizing) needs to start discussions on cutting and how to reassign the lost police, fire, whoever.  Obviousy that somone ain't gonna be AJ, so let him speak and then say, fine, let's vote.   Hint, hint, Mr. Lambaugh.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2011 at 2:01pm
Bill, I recall the so called 'rainy day fund' at 25%, provided the city about 3 months of funding before they would be forced to have the state intervene, which also has no money, at a shortfall of about $ 8 Bb. As it now is 15%, lets assume that 3 month runrate before hitting the $$$ wall, is now 1.5 months. As they continue to dip, it becomes a month, 2 weeks, etc. Why not consolidate secretarial and administrative staff and knock out that $46,000 secretary job being advertised for Public Works, that would be a start. But maybe that's a phantom job....you know, the one's they always put in place and don't fill it, to say there is a Highly unlikely, but as I state often. logic does not dictate reasoning in the city called Middletown.

Only Mr. Laubach will bring the cuts to FTE's (personnel) to the council's attention, if he isn't drowned out by the echo chamber of AJ Smith saying, "no, no", don't touch the sacred cow called benefits. Even then. it will be 6-1, all but one JL, voting for at least a 2.0% levy, if not 2.25%. And the cycle continues.    
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2011 at 2:23pm
In Middletown Journal today:

This was an article on Ohio's TOP REAL ESTATE agent in West Chester on what drives buyers:

"West Chester Twp. — By moving seven times, Sandra Peters has learned what’s important to her in finding a new home.

Local tax rates, development plans, infrastructure and roadwork projects, to name a few."

Hmmm. Middletown always attempting to raise taxes, at 2.0% among highest in area with Hamilton, another rapidly growing metropolis. Infrastructure---well, our roads and sewers are in collapse and nothing dedicated by ordinace in 25 years. Road projects? Well, Middletown will fix yours, if you repay them, they won't do it from taxes they collect.

Of the three cited by Ohio's Top Real Estate agent, Middletown fails in all three categories. Bright Past, Brighter Future? We think not.

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2011 at 2:47pm

"Brighter Future.....25 years out...we hope" ™

ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2011 at 9:26pm

Brighter future 2013, 5 instead of 7, at large! I'm sure several of the posters will throw their hats into the mix to help solve the problems that plague this city government. 48,000 people, saving the neighborhoods with the ward system, are you kidding me. Lets move on to the real problems! Problems that affect all of us and can be corrected without being on a certain part of a map.  

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 10:10am
Well swatt--many here throw their hat in towards helping this community  in a lot of different ways.
Interestingly I see the elimination of the ward system as leading towards MORE division in the community because now certain areas and their issueswill probably not be as well-recognized when citizens must address their concerns to Councilmembers not familiar with the entire city. We have Councilmembers and Admin who have never been in many areas of town, particularly those areas not currently in favor with the dark side and their enablers.

Councilmembers DO NOT only represent their ward. Their responsibility is to the entire population and geography. Still--having someone on board who is familar with certain pockets of the area, and not as familiar or accessible to area residents may lead to less communication and resolution of issues.

Obviously there are qualified citizens in all areas of the community. As we have seen, many elected in the heavier-voting districts were hardly qualified or effective office-holders. On the positive side, ward elimilnation makes it so much more important for qualified residents and citizens to keep up on entire realm of city issues, to register to vote and use that privilege to choose a diverse geographically and ideologically group of local representatives.

I honestly see tremendous benefit in a proud neighborhood concept with neighborhood businesses and schools. This is what is really working in cities throughout the area and nation. We are not a large community and getting smaller every day. We have no real retail format anywhere other than 2 stores at the remnants of Towne Mall + Kohls and Target. Add in Meijer(for how long?) and a less than ideal Wal Mart, and every entity mentioned caters to the same economic spectrum. We are completely low-end fast food now. We are lowering housing standards in the Reaissance area to compete with the older housing market in the old core areas.There are few benefits to draw new families into the mix. No jobs--no shopping--shaky schools--bad rep on crime and poverty. But we spend a fortune and time fixing up parks, which are plentiful and seriously under-utilized. An expensive bike path currently underwater and with a huge sinkhole(who will pay for and perform that cleanup?). Bicentennial Commons un-used--Governors Square--rarely used--city bandstand/stage--rarely used and now expensive to use. The Neyer Group should be studied as to progress with their east end development activities, since every area around us is getting serious attention.
Joe Citizen View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 10:39pm
Ground swat I would love to get involved in some aspect of bringing the value of this city up. I can tell you from experience that unless you have a bank roll or a name to drop good intentions will not get you far. No one will tell you "no," but you can guarantee your place in the line up will be known. Spider John makes a good statement. There are admin here now that have never been out of their office(except for lunch)to have any real info on this city. If it doesn't come across their desk it didn't happen. If it becomes a problem first overreact, and then throw money at it till it goes away. Cuts won't affect those that have the clout around here. They will affect the citizens and the employees.
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2011 at 5:03pm

"Throwing your hat in" for running for council is what was meant. I'm quite aware of the countless hours many of you have given to this city and school system. Should have known better than to have brought up the almighty ward system. IMHO a proud neighbohood starts with the the people living on the street. I have know problem calling my ward rep.and they have always called me back, that includes city staff and yes the ones I speak to know how pissed off I am about certain projects this Admin. has wasted money on or have dropped the ball on. I'm also very pissed off about the waste of money on bike paths, parks which half of them should be sold off or let them go native, the tax rate in this town sucks along with all the under the table money that isn't reported. I don't need a lecture about retail stores either, grew up working in one and drive up and down Central everday. Since I'm getting older and may have forgotten and have followed this "Mess" for 14 years please enlighten me on what the ward system has done for this city other than put a 21 year old in office who doesn't have a clue about private business or knows who he's suppose to be working for. I can't speak for all 400 employees on if they have left their offices lately or not but I know a little about the system and who does what and I am concerned about waste and lack of leadership and followup. Lots of problems starting with Feds, State and Mtown. I was just stating that in 2013 we have less opinions on council, will this fix everything No but it's a start.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic