FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sunset Pool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sunset Pool
    Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 12:29pm
From the Journal.....

Fundraising efforts sink for Sunset Pool, which faces demolition
City has funds set aside to convert area into green space

Didn't hear too much in the way of effort, marketing and advertising to promote fundraising for this from the city nor private groups. Still think that they could have increased the monthly water bill a buck or two to provide enough money to run the pool for a season at a time. Seriously, would anyone have missed that dollar or two per month? Spend that on a cup of coffee each morning at Mickey D's, don't we?

"green space"....as it applies to Middletown is an ecological term used to describe the barren, non-used, once active land that is left after the city leaders have made the decision to tear everything and anything in sight down, sucking the very life out of this once properous community. Just look at the "open spaces" being created downtown to see the result of their game plan. Alot of "green space" down there. Heck, alot of "nothing" down there. A more apt description instead of "green space" would be to use the term "barren wasteland" in step with their planning department agenda of making this the "Australian outback" of SW Ohio.

The city leaders always remind us that tearing down things creates green space and potential re-development sites. It is true, that we see alot of activity centered around the first part of this statement.....tearing down things. But we have yet to see all this destruction yield any re-development. The Roosevelt school site will sit for many years as an empty lot as will most of the empty lots in the downtown area. Nothing's coming in here.....not with the town being run the way it is. Pathetic IMO.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 1:07pm

Amen Vet.They sure did find the money to spruce up the community center and add a splash pad at Douglas.Things that make yea go hmmmmmmmmmm.Smile

Summerrain1957 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summerrain1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 4:27pm

"Gilleland said there is money in the parks acquisition fund from development impact fees that could be used to fill in the pool and convert the area into green space. About $82,000 was set aside in the budget for the demolition, but estimates put the cost at about $70,000."

WHAT??????

She said there is money to be used to fill in the pool, but they cannot find the money to take care of the Middletown Cemetery and Fill in the Sunken graves.  Hmmm  maybe she will level the cemetery too and make it a greenspace.   What a joke!!  There is nothing in this ghost town for kids to do anymore.   This just burns me up. 
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 8:38pm

Did I miss something here ? I don't recall seeing anything about soliciting donations for the pool operation but then again I could have missed it.

Joe Citizen View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 10:48pm
VV my only arguement would be people live in the outback. I would suggest more like the 30's dust bowl. They left for more opportunity after they ruined the land. (My attempt at humor)
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 10:38am
Bocephus - I agree.I had not seen anything about any fundraising efforts for the pool. $70k would be a good start toward keeping the pool open instead of destroying it. Is that the only development plan the city can come up with. We can waste federal dollars on the NSP program yet can't find or raise the money to keep a public pool open. Where is the leadership of this city? Is other development in this town so important that they can't find the time to keep and maintain the assets the city already has?
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 10:43am
I know the attendance was down but the complex was relatively nice and not too old (compared to many public pools).  It could have been an asset if kept alive for awhile longer.  And how much would it cost to simply "mothball" it?  It couldn't be that pricy to keep it as is.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2011 at 11:28am
Would be a great fit in an expanded park project adding the new green space of the former Roosevelt school
property. Add an entrance on Central down the former walkway--bandstand/stage where the old school parking lot behind used to be. The football field/track area for fetes and weekend festivals. All feeding to the re-vitalized pool area featuring night swims etc. Still have the existing park for current purposes.

A super multi-use complex in a location approximate and friendly to/for everyone. Also brings community balance to an area quietly becoming vacant.

jmo
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2011 at 2:30pm
Spidey....might also be able to flood part of the football field/track area for ice skating in the winter. I remember when we used to skate on Smith Pond and also on the tennis court at Sunset Park years ago.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2011 at 2:30am
I can hear the yipping of the happy puppies already!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2011 at 5:06am
$82k has been set aside to demolish the pool, yet the city can't find the funds (about $20k if I remember correctly) to operate the pool? Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

We can buy houses, rehab them and sell them for an average $50k loss.

We can operate the golf course at a loss.

We can bail out the Perry Thatcher estate by buying up real estate and forgiving loans taken out on the the (now closed) hotel.

We can give away real estate and money to bring in new business downtown.

Yet in a city where over 2/3 of the youth can be considered to live in or near poverty level conditions, we can't operate a public pool. And the (tiresome, oh so tiresome) reason is "lack of use." Which was based on attendance during THE COLDEST SUMMER IN RECENT HISTORY.

I am in general a supporter of our city and our council but in this situation I cannot that their preferred course of action is done in the best interest of the residents.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2011 at 9:44am
good point, Mike
A dog park could be added, possibly in the area approx.to where the school tennic courts used to be(since we already have tennis at Sunset). Would the noise/smell bother the neighbors, the pool(assuming it stays) or the rest of the Roosevelt complex?

Hopefully any pool demo would be put on hold at this time. No money--remember?
Could we call the addirtion Roosevelt Park?

Could CDBG or NSP funds be used in this manner?
Downtown funds?(simply modify the boundaries?)

The green area is already there--the pool and park are already there--the location is as centrist as we can get. That area is in serious need of traffic flow and an economic boost. The loss of the Middletown Hospital, Roosevelt school and all professional business/traffic to the former downtown area has seriously impacted this prime area. Houses and business properties are quietly empty all along Central Ave now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic