FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

City Drops Ball on $200,000,000 Wausau Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: City Drops Ball on $200,000,000 Wausau Project
    Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 2:42pm
City lost out on $200 million Wausau Paper project and 200 jobs.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 3:17pm
where did you see this info? I dont read the Journal ao if it was there I missed it. But can you tell us more about this Midldletown29??
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 3:34pm
That's horrible news.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 6:09pm
I read where Wausau is expanding operations in Harrodsburg,Ky and adding 76 workers. That is a 220 million dollar expansion.

Is that what your talking about M29 ? I did not see anything about Middeltown in the article.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 6:18pm
M29, you're assuming our ED Dept even knew about a Wausau expansion.  LOL
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 9:01pm
The source is Wausau. Middletown was first choice however, Gilleland dropped the ball. As a result project is going to Harrodsburg, KY.
$200 plus million
200 plus jobs
Gilleland was spending so much of her time on PAC and Cincinnati State she lost a big fish.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 10:50pm
Again M29 even at Harrodsburg only 76 workers are needed per Wausau,where do you keep getting 200 ?

And again no mention of Middeltown,what is your source ?

Upon further reading M29 are you saying that Bay West should have been expanded and that section should have been in Middeltown ?
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 11:05pm
My source is Bay West/Wausau
The figures are accurate
May be that Harrodburg will be done in 2 phases
Gilleland has details but is trying to keep it all quiet
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2011 at 8:36am
READ ABOUT WAUSAU ANNOUNCEMENT

NOTE ANNOUNCEMENT WAS ONE WEEK AGO
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2011 at 1:19pm
M29, surely you must be mistaken.  We are frequently told how "business friendly" city leadership is!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2011 at 2:38pm
According to Wausau, Middletown was Wausau Paper's first choice. The lack of strong response from the City Manager and the aggressive response from Harrodsburg caused Wausau to change direction.

SAD
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2011 at 6:31pm
M29, having a daughter that attended Centre College in Danville, I know that area extremely well. I did not read in the Lexington Herald Leader or anything on Wausau's site, Middletown was the first choice for expansion. It appears the Governor of Kentucky was heavily involved in the project, and gave enormous tax credits and it is an EXPANSON of their existing plant. While I realize you reference Middletown Bay West/ Waussau, what source are you making reliance Middletown lost this? I see nothing to suggest that. Are you indicating through innuendo or people inside Bay West, the gossip was Middletown lost it? I would have a serious problem if Middletown took their eye off the ball on this one, but to me it appears the plans all along were to expand the Harrodsburg site. May I ask, where is your source? Harrodsburg has a great bed and breakfast, the Beaumont Inn, I'd much rather in Harrodsburg/ Danville from Centre abd 30 minutes from Lexington than Middletown---a no brainer.j
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2011 at 10:44am
Request information from City about the project. It would have to be a matter of public record if requested.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2011 at 12:21pm
CORRECTION:
Jobs were projected to be 150 not 200
Investment was estimated to be $220 million
To be constructed next to existing facility
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2011 at 2:45pm

If true, this is no surprise to me. Kohler and company have proven time and again that they have no interest in “dirty fingernail” jobs and their associated industries, especially if they are anywhere near his precious downtown.

Such a project would also be in direct conflict with the stated goals of the Master Plan to convert Middletown into a “quaint village (about 20,000)” of all white collar professionals.

It would also likely mean an end to Cap’n. Sammie’s dream of building a phony historic canal boat exhibit using the canal bed on the Wausau property between Central and Columbia.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2011 at 4:24pm
Actilually the proposed Cincinnati State project was a stumbling block. I understand the City told Wausau they had to keep their project at least a half block from Main Street. Gilleland and Kochler did not want the Wausau project to create noise that would interfear with CS.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2011 at 3:45am
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

Actilually the proposed Cincinnati State project was a stumbling block. I understand the City told Wausau they had to keep their project at least a half block from Main Street. Gilleland and Kochler did not want the Wausau project to create noise that would interfear with CS.
So, our business friendly city hall told an existing business that wanted to expand on their existing plant site that they couldn’t use it for the very purpose for which it is zoned, and for which it has been used for a hundred (+-) years??? Is THAT what you are saying???

And what is this “Cincinnati State project” of which you speak??? Did I miss something last week while I was gone??? Was an announcement made??? Were papers signed??? Have class schedules been announced???

Or, are we still operating on a wish and a prayer???

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2011 at 3:50am
And when Wausau padlocks the gate and moves the rest of their operation out of Middletown, I guess our leaders at city hall will be shocked and surprised, and just will not be able to understand why they would want to leave such a business friendly city.  Confused
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2011 at 6:54am
If this is all true, Gilleland and Kohler should be fired.....now. Council, are you going to question the city manager on this or are you going to sit on your hands with a zipped lip on this? DO YOUR JOB! ASK THE QUESTIONS. INSIST ON AN ANSWER. TERMINATE IF APPROPRIATE BASED ON THE ANSWER. YOU HAVE THE POWER TO DO SO. YOU CAN NOT ALLOW THIS TO CONTINUE.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2011 at 12:36pm
According to Wausau, a small strip of their land along Main St would need a zoning change. Gilleland and Kohler did not support the needed change. Wausau didn't want the trouble of fighting staff over zoning.

Harrodsburg stepped up and stole the project from under our nose.

Loss:
        $220,000,000 investment
        150 jobs
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2011 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

If this is all true, Gilleland and Kohler should be fired.....now. Council, are you going to question the city manager on this or are you going to sit on your hands with a zipped lip on this? DO YOUR JOB! ASK THE QUESTIONS. INSIST ON AN ANSWER. TERMINATE IF APPROPRIATE BASED ON THE ANSWER. YOU HAVE THE POWER TO DO SO. YOU CAN NOT ALLOW THIS TO CONTINUE.
If true, We know that Judy will jump all over this in the "City Manager Report" and explain it away. Maybe even call Marty to the podium to help out`   Wink
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2011 at 6:23pm
409, the only thing I would like to read in the City Manager's Report is that she will be leaving and soon.
taxed2death View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taxed2death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2011 at 8:09am

If the staff in the city building really did let this slip away I would really hope that the council would hold there feet to the fire and get a good explination as to why it slipped away.  I don't see why they wouldn't be able to keep both possible projects happy Cincy State and the Wausau. But then again why would the city want to keep a business intown happyShocked

I hope it gets better soon!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2011 at 1:08pm
No report in the MJ?
No information from Gilleland?
No questions from our Council?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic