FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pioneer Cemetery Ceremony

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pioneer Cemetery Ceremony
    Posted: Apr 28 2011 at 6:28am
Today's Journal....

Veterans event planned at historic cemetery

MIDDLETOWN — A local board hopes an event meant to remember veterans also will remind people of the repairs needed at a historic cemetery.

The Middletown Cemetery Board is sponsoring a special Memorial Day event May 28 to commemorate the 238 veterans buried at the Middletown Cemetery on First Avenue.

The board plans to pass out information about the cemetery, including a list of the veterans buried there. They are hoping to raise awareness about the state of the cemetery and solicit donations, said board Chairman Michael McNeil.

A VERY NICE IDEA AND A GOOD WAY TO BRING THE LONG FORGOTTEN ABOUT CEMETERY BACK IN VIEW.

But wait......

Cemetery board members will be volunteering time and supplies to spruce up the cemetery May 21. Armbruster Florist Inc. will donate flowers to be planted in the beds near the entrance, said board member Josh Toms

LET'S SEE, THIS WAS DONE A WHILE BACK BY MS. MOON AND HER VOLUNTEERS AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE, I BELIEVE, AND, AS I RECALL, WAS ALL TORN OUT BY GILLELAND AND COMPANY (AND THE PLANTS TAKEN WHERE?) BECAUSE IT WAS TOO MUCH OF A MAINTENANCE ISSUE DUE TO A LACK OF CITY WORKER MANPOWER......NOW, IT'S OK TO DO? WHY IS IT DIFFERENT NOW?

WONDER WHY ALL THE SUDDEN ACTIVITY AT THE CEMETERY NOW? A NEW BOARD CONCEIVED, NEW FLOWERS BY ARMBRUSTER FLORIST, BOARD VOLUNTEERS, GRANTS FOR THE VAULT REPAIR......COULD IT BE THE RESULT OF WHAT HAPPENED IN COLUMBUS AS A RESULT OF THE COMPLAINTS FROM A FEW CITIZENS PERHAPS? COULD IT BE A PASSIFICATION MOVE BY THE CITY TO APPEASE THE DETRACTORS?
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2011 at 8:06am
Vet,
    Do you suppose the Ohio Revised Code explains some of what is going on?

759.42 Municipal corporation or township may transfer cemetery property to cemetery association.

The legislative authority of a municipal corporation and the board of township trustees may transfer to an incorporated cemetery association the lands, lots, and improvements of a cemetery owned and controlled by the municipal corporation or township for cemetery purposes. The association shall assume all legal debts on the cemeteries so transferred.

Effective Date: 10-01-1953

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2011 at 8:55am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Today's Journal....

WONDER WHY ALL THE SUDDEN ACTIVITY AT THE CEMETERY NOW? A NEW BOARD CONCEIVED, NEW FLOWERS BY ARMBRUSTER FLORIST, BOARD VOLUNTEERS, GRANTS FOR THE VAULT REPAIR......COULD IT BE THE RESULT OF WHAT HAPPENED IN COLUMBUS AS A RESULT OF THE COMPLAINTS FROM A FEW CITIZENS PERHAPS? COULD IT BE A PASSIFICATION MOVE BY THE CITY TO APPEASE THE DETRACTORS?

Dunno.  The person that filed the complaint was a no-show at the hearing....
Murdock View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2011 at 8:35pm
Armbruster Florist always donated flowers to the cemetery from what I understand. Clap
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2011 at 8:09pm

" Communication Breakdown" as my hero Robert Plant sang is quite fitting. Three sides to the story, I would suggest we move on and try to support these folks and make a difference. I think I can speak for Ms. Moon that this is what she wants. Armbrusters only want the best for this city and more than not they have given for decades to volun. groups to make this town a better place to live.

Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2011 at 4:46am
How long until Gilleland sends her kamikaze mowers on a bonzai run through these new flower beds?
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2011 at 8:21am
   I guess this section of the Ohio Revised Code went by everyone. If the city has transfered ownership to the new cemetery commision then the city is no longer the owner and the commission is responsible for all obligations.
      Paul Nagy
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2011 at 9:08am
^And why would the commission want that to happen? They would lose city funds and gain the liability.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2011 at 11:25am

We all know who should be taking care of this cemetery and IMO to create a board with no budget is insane but council allowed this to happen. Since I don't see this board going away anytime soon or a huge gathering of taxpayers showing up at the next council meeting to protest this move all I can do is try and support those folks who are involved. Now to focus on the IMO bigger problem you don't have to look very far, a city manager who can't make a decision or utilize a city staff to handle this, which by the way I feel the down line city folks can do.

Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2011 at 12:52pm
Supportmiddletown,
      I'm not certain but I thought they got some funding from the city and Middletown Community Foundation when it was set up. It wasn't enough to take care of it all. Also, didn't they make an effort to raise funds from the community but were not successful? This is a hard time to raise money.
     The Veterans program may be designed to do just that. In order to understand a little of why they do things the way they do you have to look at who is involved.
     paul nagy
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 11:29am
It is a very nice gesture on the part of the Community Foundation and Mr. Gordon to assign $9300 toward the repair of the tombstones.

From the Journal....

Community foundation awards nearly $100K in grants

•City of Middletown: $9,308 to repair tombstones in Pioneer Cemetery.

It would appear that we now have more activity and interest occuring as compared to the past. The new committee seems to be moving toward improvement for the cemetery. Nice to see.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2011 at 3:01am

I would like to thank Armbrusters for donating flowers again this year for the cemetery entry.

I would also like to thank the Middletown Community Foundation for the tombstone grant. Without their support over the past 7 years the Middletown Cemetery would still be a weed field.

My grant money for the restoration of the vault can be used by the new cemetery board.

Again a group of volunteers have stepped foreward....however....what will the City do to help these volunteers. Why is it that the City has money for flowers and mulch for the parks but not for the cemetery? Why are the flowers from the cemetery now in other parks in the City? If they couldn't take care of the flowers at the cemetery how can they take care of them at other locations??
Yep I've still got lots of questions......
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 3:26am

"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child.
For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors
by the records of history."    

Cicero
 Roman Statesman, Author, Philosopher

Over the years I have been asked numerous times why I’m so passionate about history and the restoration of the old Middletown Cemetery. The above quote always comes to mind.

As conscientious members of society it is our responsibility to care for these burial sites of our respected dead. Benjamin Franklin said, “Show me your burial grounds and I’ll show you a measure of the civility of a community.” Accepting this responsibility we help to preserve a resource that will benefit not only us but future generations.

Historic cemeteries are important cultural, architectural and archaeological resources. They provide us with information on our community’s history. Often a cemetery is the only remnant left from early settlements and as such is a vital link with the past. They are an invaluable educational tool whether we seek to research genealogy, educate our youth or delve into local history. They provide quiet places to commemorate the deceased, whether it be of a most personal nature, or on a local, regional, or even national scale. Originally located in agricultural areas that are now becoming more urbanized, early cemeteries can provide a place for quiet reflection and solitude and much needed open space. Buildings, fencing and other ancillary features are artifacts that demonstrate historic stylistic trends and construction methods.

These important places may provide us with some of the earliest written local history. Headstones reveal names and dates for locally significant persons. They offer glimpses into local illness and epidemics and tell of a community’s sacrifices in our nation’s wars. The same headstones provide us with samples of local folk art and, particularly after the Civil War, reflect a substantial amount of popular cultural standardization of monument forms and motifs. They were transmitted through such sources as design books and catalogs.

The
Middletown Cemetery is the "Time Capsule" of our community and it is our responsibility to protect, preserve, and restore it for future generations.

I’m pleased to announce that the Middletown Cemetery Board will vote on the vendor to restore the tombstones in Sections 3 and 4 at the cemetery on Wednesday evening. These are the oldest section just as you go through the gates on the right and left sides.

I will assure you that John Walters is the most qualified man for this project. Visit his web page at
http://www.graveyardgroomer.com.

Over the summer I hope you will visit the cemetery and watch John work his magic on the old tombstones. I will post the dates later.

Again I would like to thank the Middletown Community Foundation for their continued support of this project.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 7:11am
If anyone attends the meeting I would encourage you to ask what is happening in regards to locking the gate at the end of the day. This topic has been bounced around like a ping pong ball. And yes I have spoken to Public Works about this subject. Not that it will stop the die hard punks who get off on destructive behavior but it would seem to me that if your spending nine grand of donated money a plan might be in place to protect the work the best you can. Over-time is the cities reasoning for not wanting to open and close the gate. I would think the city manager could lay the law down(LOL) for one of the many depts. to handle this. Nice piece Ms. Moon. 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 7:34am
Thank you ground swat
The Middletown Community Foundation made locking the gates a condition of giving this grant for the restoration of the tombstones at the Middletown Cemetery.
Every time a tombstone is knocked down the cost is $100-200 to reset and or repair and I'm sorry to tell you but hundreds of tombstones are down and broken at the cemetery. Many are buried and will be uncovered and reset as we restore a section at a time.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2011 at 2:51pm
Looks like your efforts toward the Pioneer Cemetery are starting to pay off Vivian. Perhaps the complaint in Columbus, about the lack of care for the cemetery did some good also.

Journal story on June 11, 2011......

Thumbs up to members of local Boy Scout Troop 572 who spent several hours on May 28 — just before Memorial Day — working at the Middletown Cemetery, with cemetery board member Deb Morrison, to place markers and American flags on the graves of the 255 known veterans buried there. According to staff writer Rick McCrabb, members of the combined Honor Guard were also on hand to raise the flag and fire a 21-gun salute in honor of the veterans. A couple of the Scouts also plan to repair or replace missing gravestone markers as Eagle Scout projects. “It was a way to give back to the community, to continue a connection to the community,” troop committee chairman Mike Osborne told McCrabb.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2011 at 9:01am
Cemetery may get automated gate to stop vandals

Today's Journal...

MIDDLETOWN — An automated gate may be installed to stop vandalism at the Middletown Pioneer Cemetery.

The cemetery already has a gate that can be padlocked. But the city — which is responsible for the cemetery’s upkeep — does not have a caretaker on staff to lock and unlock that gate, Picard said.

Hiring a caretaker would cost the city approximately $21,000, Picard said, a salary the city cannot afford. BUT THEY CAN AFFORD REHIRING PEOPLE IN DIFFERENT POSITIONS. AFFORD EXTRAVAGANT SALARIES FOR THEIR PUBLIC WORKERS....

WHY CONSIDER THE COST OF AN AUTOMATIC GATE? THERE IS COST INVOLVED WITH THAT.

HOW ABOUT, AT THE BEGINNING AND END OF THE DAY, HANDING A CITY WORKER THE KEY, AND, AS THEY PASS BY THE CEMETERY ON THEIR WAY TO/FROM WORK, STOP AND UNLOCK/LOCK THE FRIKKIN' GATE? IT AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE. INCORPORATE IT INTO SOMEONES JOB DUTIES FOR THE COST OF WHAT YOU ARE CURRENTLY PAYING THEM OR IS THE CITY INTIMIDATED ABOUT THE UNION COMPLAINING ABOUT IT? GIVE IT TO SOME DIRECTOR TO DO. THE CITY HAS PLENTY OF THEM. WHY WOULD YOU HAVE TO HIRE FOR THIS?
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2011 at 10:13am

These clowns in the City building need to pack up and leave,what idiotsAngryAngry

I agree 100% with your logic on this Vet.How hard would it be to have a patrolmen etc.. to lock the gates.
It just boggles my mind how these city officials have handled this whole cemetary issue,how disrespectful to all the folks buried there.How could any possible new comers to this city want to live and or move their businesses here? I mean wouldn't you think that how we treat this cemetary show the true character of this city?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2011 at 3:59pm
Gentlemen
I was at the last cemetery board meeting when they were discussing this new automated gate. Until the city is willing to repair the fences and cut down the trees that are in the fence line on the east side of the cemetery the kids will continue to vandalize the cemetery. It’s just that plain and simply.
Seven years later and the city still can’t fix a fence or lock a gate at the cemetery…mercy.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2011 at 7:45pm
If the city has money to fence the area around the old Roosevelt school site as 409's pictures indicate, why don't they send the fence crew from Roosevelt over to the cemetery for some fence fixin'? It kinda negates the gate security idea if there are enough holes in the perimeter fence to allow access, doesn't it?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 12:35am
Vet
You can bet we haven't heard the end of the story of the fenced area at Roosevelt School and it ain't got nothing to do with trash ...
Wonder what the price tag and from which fund this improvement was paid for???
I'm put in a request Monday morning
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 1:38am

Attention Kmart shoppers,we need a few good Men and or Women to please run for Council that have some common sense and can provide some leadership.

middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2011 at 9:24am
Was that the City that put the fence around the Roosevelt school property or was it the MCSD? I thought that Middletown City Scools still owned that property?
ViscountValmont View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViscountValmont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2011 at 7:00pm
if i may, the reason the board does not have city employees doing the locking/unlocking of the gates is because of labor unions. the price is expected to be overtime, and since the board has no budget to speak of, there is little use in discussing that as a prospect. almost every problem involved is a giant catch 22. please refrain from calling the board moronic without knowing your facts, or at least showing up for a meeting.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2011 at 7:14pm
If the locking/unlocking of the gate has not been discussed/negotiated with the union as one of their job functions, it isn't an issue is it? If this statement is true, and the union involvement isn't a factor, why not ask a non-union employee of the city to lock/unlock the gates to and from work and leave the union totally out of it. Everything doesn't have to be run through the union does it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic