FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pioneer Cemetery Ceremony

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2011 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Summerrain1957 Summerrain1957 wrote:

well have you been to a meeting yet to have your say?  Why Not? As long as people only complain behind the scenes and not in an open forum NOTHING will be solved.  Thank you
I have been to plenty of meetings thank you very much.How about yourself? As Vet said,yea they might listen to you but it goes through one ear and out the other.When Queen Judy made the city take Ms Moons plants and mulch out I lost all respect for the spineless people that run this city.Another thing that irked my ass was the city Leaseing out one of the parks out to a ball team and this ball team promised so many things.Well guess what,none of it happen and its been a few years now.But again we hear Queen Judy and the rest of the spinless one's praise them for it.Alot of people are so fed up with this town there taking losses and moving the hell out.Smile
ViscountValmont View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViscountValmont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2011 at 12:06am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Viscount Valmont

It is the families of those buried at the
Middletown Cemetery that have called and complained about the condition year after year and the nothing was ever corrected.

Viscount, it is not up to the family members to solve the problems of the cemetery it is the City since the law clearly states that it is their responsibility and what needs to be done at the cemetery. At the last meeting I attended I stated that tombstones had been removed from the graves and needed to be replaced.  You didn’t seem to think this was a serious problem that needed any action. It is against the law to deface or move a tombstone from a grave…period….and to add to this problem….these tombstones have been off the graves for at least 15 years. I have requested every year for 6 years that this problem be solved. Soooo please tell me what a reasonable amount of time should be for the city to place these stones back on the gravesites.

So once again I will tell you that the
Middletown Cemetery is not in compliance with ORC 4767.06

It would be only your interpretation of all that I have said and done to come to those conclusions. I was merely thanking a concerned descendant. I did not charge them with solutions. I meant that it is ultimately their WISHES about what SHOULD be done that will be the voice of how the cemetery is treated now that we have a board to represent them. As after all, unless there is enough people willing to come out to fight SOLELY for the historical aspect of the cemetery, it is family members that will be among the most important of citizens involved. And note, they are part of why the board was created. So while it took quite a long time, the complaints of family members have started to, at last, be heard. And again, you have misinterpreted my words at the meeting. I told you directly that I thought it was a serious problem, but that things must be done in a proper order. There is no reason to go about doing things now, only to have them be re-done at a later date, causing two sets of bills to pile up in the process. You as well as I know, there is only so much money. And I am not the one approving it. I am the one trying to attain it. We as a board, are right now at this very time, coming to our top decision at hand: who the Tombstone job will be done by. The vault is number two, only because the money involved- grants, etc... must be waited on in order to complete. But to lump me in with the process that has put this cemetery where it is today is a mistake. I am doing my best to make sure it actually gets brought back to code, not torn down and flattened, and furthermore, to gain higher status in a larger registry as a historical site. I value law, history, and family in this matter. But there is only so much as one board member I can get done on my own. I must work with four other members, and seek to get compliance from them. There is no railroading action I can use to push anything through. I apologize at your dissatisfaction, whether with me, or the board in its entirety. But I care about the cemetery, and the laws governing it.

middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2011 at 8:32am
Here's an idea: Put a putting green in the cemetary. The city will give you a million dollars over the next five years to keep the place up!

But DON'T put in a pool, because then the City will want to turn the whole thing into some more greenspace.
Summerrain1957 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summerrain1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2011 at 8:27pm
thank you ViscountValmont.  I agree with everything you say except the VAULT is and should be top priority right now.  In my opinion the board is doing what they can with what they have right now and everyone needs to see what they are dealing with.  I think the media needs to do a story on this with interviews and photos at the cemetery to make everyone aware of what is going on down on First Avenue,  How about it MUSA or anyone on here from the Journal??   Thank you again.
ViscountValmont View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViscountValmont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2011 at 3:02pm
Technically, Summerrain, the vault is top priority. But we have specifically allocated funds available to us right now that allow us to tackle the tombstones right off the bat. Whereas, the vault is a much larger venture, requiring more people with varied expertise, and very specific materials and processes to maintain its historical status. Thusly, it is a much larger economical behemoth. We must wait on grants to come through, and one of the most difficult parts of that process is "matching" funds with other funds. So, let's say a 10k grant requires matching; at the very least, it is a 1-to-1 ratio, and requires we have another 10k in order to qualify and unlock the first grant. If it is a 2-to-1 ratio, which some are, then of course we would need another 20k grant to actualize the initial 10k grant. Then there is the catch 22 of security, which was what sparked this forum thread: the partially inaccurate article on the electric gating for the cemetery. Most, if not all grants for this project, require security. We have had many obstacles to overcome, but none so troublesome as the security question. At present, we are looking into reliable volunteer citizens to take up the cause of locking and unlocking the current gate in order to create a window of opportunity for these grants. Our end game, of course, is to have a sophisticated system that would satisfy all security needs of the cemetery. We have a prioritized list of things to get done, ranked by importance (to citizens as well as historical value), time requirements, proper chronology, and finally, practicality. So, as you can see, it is a complicated set of goals and needs that beset us. I thank you for your sincere appreciation. And I am in total agreement with you on press coverage. We have had a few articles, and have done our best to get this issue out there for the people to see. However, the Journal is changing its focus, preferring more sensational "investigative journalism," and apparently not wanting stories on its local government or community projects. If you, or anyone else you know, would like to see more articles on the cemetery, please contact the Middletown Journal and inform them. If they are more aware of citizens' desire to be kept abreast of the topic, I'm sure they will gladly comply. We need more concerned people such as yourself attached to this project. Again, thank you. 
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2011 at 3:45pm
What you need is to get on to the spinless ones (Council) that used money from the cemetery fund to pay off other debts. Until the spineless ones are out of office I forsee this town in gravel roads and pollution.Smile
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2011 at 7:18pm
 How about replacing the tarp, have you mentioned that in the 2hr. meetings. In any venture you have other issues that are fluid, that need attention now. Never knew how many different shades of blue you can get out of one of those.  This board must get it's act together or it's just another layer of burearucracy.  If your going to fire the boss, figure out how to do it first before you apply for thousands in grants.  I do applaud all of the time given by these folks.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summerrain1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2011 at 9:53pm
I do believe the tarp was brought up at an early meeting and of course the answer was WE HAVE NO MONEY, but we can take the money that is in place for the vault and use that.to purchase new tarps and have them put on the Vault by a contractor.  It is an eyesore for sure.  Maybe someone in the community would like to donate some large tarps or maybe large tarps like the ones the Truck Drivers use. Anyone??  I am sure there are plenty of people out there with answers to alot of questions about the cemetery.  Just hoping something will be done before it falls in.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2011 at 10:00pm
I will donate the Tarps if they will be replaced.Its just a damn shame are spineless ones cant do it.Whoever is in charge can PM me and let me know when and where to drop them of.
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2011 at 12:29am

Let’s see if I understand this correctly:

The city had $500,000 to buy four buildings for Cincinnati State, two of which that school had never said that they wanted and which will probably end up going to the City Manager’s boyfriend to allow him to pretend that he is a museum curator;

And the city has $7,000 (plus) to buy phony old-fashioned gaslights for Mulligan’s and Kohler’s and Duane Gordon’s front yards;

But the city cannot afford to spend $50 on a new tarp to protect the historic vault at the Historic Pioneer Cemetery?

Is that about the size of it?

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2011 at 4:01am
Summerrain
Maybe you should ask Mr. Adkins for CDBG funds to replair the vault.
These were the funds promised to me in 2006 if I had the vault declared historic.
These are the same funds that are going to be used in the Highland District and these were the same funds used last year to purchase more playground equiptment for Old South Park...
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 4:27am
Summerrain stated " Ms Moon was telling the City how to do their job"

Well Summerrain I don't think you should speak about things that you know nothing about or have any FACTS about. But since you want to make this personal I would suggest that you read a little more and find out just what the City should be doing at the cemetery. 
FACT: If the City had not lied to me the vault would already be restored.
FACT: Numerous people from all over the county and local residents supported the restoration of the cemetery during the 6 years that I worked at the cemetery. We know how the City thanked them for their support.
FACT: The Middletown Cemetery was NOT ready for Memorial Day this year.
FACT: The Middletown Cemetery Board did not request that the City do anything at the cemetery to help get
             it ready for Memorial Day this year.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 4:58am
Summerrain
At the last cemetery board meeting that I attended I brought up the fact that the Middletown Cemetery had a problem with the records of who and where people were buried at Middletown Cemetery.
Chairman Mr McNeil, informed me that the board had looked at the records and they were in order.
Really?.......
If all the records are in order then what have I been correcting for the past 7 years?
If all the records are in order then how do you bury 9 people in 4 plots.
FACT: The Middletown Cemetery records are not in order or complete.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 5:49am
Viscount stated "Most, if not all grants for this project, require security. We have had many obstacles to overcome, but none so troublesome as the security question. At present, we are looking into reliable volunteer citizens to take up the cause of locking and unlocking the current gate in order to create a window of opportunity for these grants. Our end game, of course, is to have a sophisticated system that would satisfy all security needs of the cemetery."

Viscount

Nothing complicated about the security of the
Middletown Cemetery.
The Middletown Police Department evaluated this problem in 2005 and the City has refused to complete or take action on their own security evaluation.
1. Lock the gates
2. Repair (not patch) all the fences and replace barb wire.
3. Clear all fence lines.
4. Plant thorny plants in problem areas to help break the habit of using the cemetery as a pass thru

In order to understand the problem you need to understand the cause.
The cemetery plus Cohen Bros blocks in a four block area of the city and this will soon increase when CSX blocks off Grand Ave. You will then have a wall from 14th Ave to Woodlawn and from Woodlawn to Central Ave.
The students from the middle school climb the fences because the don’t want to walk the three blocks around the cemetery to get to the other side to University.

If you do not do all the above items you will not solve the security problems at the cemetery.

MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summerrain1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 2:59pm
OMG Really?

Summerrain stated " Ms Moon was telling the City how to do their job"   Honest to god if you were running this city or any of the departments would you really want someone that is volunteering to come and tell you how to do your job or run your business??  I don't think so.  Let the Cemetery Board do their job and stop complaining about it.

Well Summerrain I don't think you should speak about things that you know nothing about or have any FACTS about. I know exactly what I speak of.  I have been hearing about all the problems the cemetery has and all the problems you have with the city and all the problems the city has with you. So yes I know what I speak of..

But since you want to make this personal I would suggest that you read a little more and find out just what the City should be doing at the cemetery. Not trying to make this personal at all just stating facts as i know them. I know what the city should be doing in the cemetery.  Locking the gates, all the maintenance, replacing the stones, etc, yada yada yada.  The City does not want to do anymore then they have to in the cemetery and I wish people would get that through their heads.  You cannot make the City do anything at this point and I do not mean just you I mean anyone. 

FACT: If the City had not lied to me the vault would already be restored.  I do not know the whole story here just your side of what I have read.

FACT: Numerous people from all over the county and local residents supported the restoration of the cemetery during the 6 years that I worked at the cemetery. We know how the City thanked them for their support.  Cannot disagree with you on that at all.  But there was a reason that the City went in there and destroyed all the hard work that you and others had done and to be so vendictive at you that they would destroy it for everyone.  Bad move on the Citys part for sure.

FACT: The Middletown Cemetery was NOT ready for Memorial Day this year.  Well as I saw it the grass was mowed and it seemed the board took it upon themselves to add the flowers and mulch so that it would have some color.  Of course I heard that you complained about the way the flowers were planted but hmmmm I did not see you down there offering to help.  Just stating a fact , saw you in the back of the cemetery looking to see what was going on, but no offer to help.  As I seen it some not all of the board members got the job done.

FACT: The Middletown Cemetery Board did not request that the City do anything at the cemetery to help get
             it ready for Memorial Day this year.  The Middletown Cemetery Board did ask the city to 1.  Cut  
             down the old Flag pole. 2.  KMB placed two planters in the front section of the cemetery. And
             again I heard that you complained about this.  

So now as you can see I do know more about what is going on here than you think i do.  I know people and I hear things too.

Again I say.... Let the Cemetery Board do their job and quit telling them how to do it.  I am sorry but you are not the only one that wants to see this cemetery back to a better state.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summerrain1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 3:04pm
FYI for LMAO 

The Tarps have been Removed from the Vault as of this morning. 
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Summerrain1957 Summerrain1957 wrote:

FYI for LMAO 

The Tarps have been Removed from the Vault as of this morning. 
Yes I know that and I was told that they can "HANDLE IT.".Try to be nice to the assholes down there and get talked to like a damn dog.Angry
They all can kiss where the sun dont shine.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 4:20pm

Summerrain stated " Ms Moon was telling the City how to do their job"   Honest to god if you were running this city or any of the departments would you really want someone that is volunteering to come and tell you how to do your job or run your business??  I don't think so.  Let the Cemetery Board do their job and stop complaining about it.

Well Summerrain I think you need to investigate this matter further.
I did not at any time make any unreasonable requests of any City employees. I did send photos to the public works department concerning downed trees, fences and groundhog holes and any other hazards that I found in the cemetery.
You might want to ask the City why the employees lied about the damage that was done at the cemetery by Ike. It was clearly not the job of a volunteer to meet and correspond with FEMA over a 30 day period to correct the problems at the cemetery.

I guess you will need to learn to hard way...so good luck

MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summerrain1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 4:57pm

LMAO  sorry to hear that for sure and thank you for stepping up.

MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summerrain1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 5:14pm
No i am good on what I know and I do not need to investigate any further. 

As for meeting with FEMA??  if it was clearly not the job of a volunteer then you should have not been the one to contact FEMA about the problem.  Granted the city probably would have not done anything either but you should have left that up to the City and FEMA.  JMO! 

I do not want to belittle your efforts in the cemetery at all because I think you did a wonderful job there and so does my whole family and i want you to understand that. I have family buried there too, and I have called and written letters and it does no good because like I said the City will not do anything with that Cemetery any longer and I am sure they would love to pawn it off on someone that can take care of it.

Anyway I am not going to argue the situation as it was before the new board was created, we all need to get behind the board and let them do their job and if they cannot do it them come November the fight will be over i think.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 6:17pm
I havent really got into politics until I moved back here to Middlton<LOL so have this question. If the City(are spineless ones) borrow money from a fund,lets say the cemetary fund,aren't they not responsable to pay that money back with interest? If it happens that the Cemetary needs money for a repair and there is no money in that fund,shouldnt the city be liable to pick up that tab?
Im going to get more involved in this little project after I called the city to Donate truck tarps to replace the ones that WAS up there.Was even going to get a contractor to put them up if needed to be.Well guess what,I was told "THEY HAVE IT HANDLED" and after the short conversation I had with the BUTTHEAD on the other end I bet my blood pressure went up.The city needs to give Butthead some lessons on how to talk on a phone.Smile
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 6:39pm

As for meeting with FEMA??  if it was clearly not the job of a volunteer then you should have not been the one to contact FEMA about the problem.  Granted the city probably would have not done anything either but you should have left that up to the City and FEMA.  JMO! 

Summerrain
Just for your information...I didn't call FEMA the City did.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summerrain1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 9:45pm
whatever,  like I said I will not rehash what happened beforewith you and the City it is old news and it got you or the cemetery no where. 

middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2011 at 9:22am
Originally posted by middletownscouter middletownscouter wrote:

A suggestion. Since it appears that most government bodies (not just our city mind you, but all over our great nation) really like to come up with inventive ways of repackaging items, perhaps this idea might work:

With the lack of lighting and multiple fall hazards inside the cemetery, leaving the gates open in the evening poses a potential public safety hazard along with potential liability towards the City. With this in mind, that leaving the gates open at night is a public safety problem, then the duty of securing the facility by closing and locking the gates in the evening could easily be shifted to the MPD patrol unit for that area. It would not be an overtime situation since there are MPD patrol units for that geographic area pretty much 24/7. Additionally, doing this should cause a reduction in other crimes (like vandalism) that occur in the property, which is always a goal of the MPD.

Since unlocking and opening the gates in the morning is not a public safety issue, it can be done during straight time by a municipal employee as part of their everyday job duties along with opening gates at other municipal properties like Smith Park, etc.

I guess in all the bickering my suggestion got completely overlooked?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2011 at 6:29pm

MiddletownScouter

That is a great plan with sooo much common sense…..however…..I have been told the MPD will not open or close the gates because of union rules and the union for the Public Works said it is not part of their job description.
    Since the City knows this is a high risk, high crime area you would think they should be the ones to check the cemetery before the gates are locked.

Please remember that in 2005 when the MPD made the security recommendation for the cemetery to the City they stated that all the fences needed to be fully repaired, all the fence lines needed to be cleared and thorny bushes needed to be planted in the problem areas and lock the gates.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic