FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gilleland Blames Kasich

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gilleland Blames Kasich
    Posted: May 07 2011 at 8:41am
According to one member of Council, Gilleland is blaming Gov Kasich for the loss of the Wausau ($220 million & 150 job) project.

Gilleland claims it is Kasich and not the City that dropped the ball. During transition from Strickland to Kasich, Gilleland cliams Ohio forgot the project and Kentucky swooped in and stole it from under our noses.

Seems to me Gilleland should have made sure the new Gov didn't forget the project! What do we pay her for antway?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 10:06am
I've yet to figure out how she ever got this job,she must have known someone.She is probably upset that her welfare check has been stopped.
Yeah right now ole Kasich is getting the blame for a lot of things.Something I found interesting about Kasich budget was the fact there is no mention at all of the state lottery funds.He wants money cut from the schools but says nothing about the money from the lottery going to the schools.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 3:16pm
That's right Judith, nothing negative that has happened in this town in the last several years has been your fault. You are the victim here. Just once, I would like to see a city official stand up and say "It was my responsibility and I am the guilty party for why it didn't happen". Gilleland was brought to Middletown by the acting city manager Husted (not sure of the name here-anyone?) from Pickerington, east of Columbus. Saw some info. from her days in Pickerington. Guess she had her issues there also. She is not city manager material. She is here because she was a friend of the former interim city manager. The council listened to this moron and took his advise and hired her based on his recommendation. Fools.

She needs to be fired.....now. She should not be running this city, nor any city from what I can see. JMO
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 4:12pm

Judy and Council please buy us up a few more unused buildings and mothball them we still have time before we go bankrupt.Please resign and take 90% of the council with you.

tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 11:16pm

Hey lighten up on Judy, this is the same poor woman who can't count. Afew weeks ago she quoted that there were two thousand people who attended the soft art opening which now it's has become eight hundred to one thousand.and this is what we are paying big bucks to head this town. I think this helps solves most of the puzzle.ClapClap

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 1:44pm
My main ? regarding the initial crowds for the first two PAC First Fridays--
Did anyone actually BUY anything?
Could we get REAL sales #s???
How many NEW jobs have been created?
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 7:33pm
^While these are good questions, it is important to remember that the reward will not be seen immediately. In other cities that have these monthly art hop events, visitors stoll through a business district, ducking into multiple shops and/or restaurants. Maybe not everyone can buy a $500 painting (or even a $100 painting), but they enjoy walking around and grab dinner or buy something smaller at one of the nearby shops. I've attended gallery hops in two different cities and did just that both times. I probably spent $20-40 each time. 

I have not attended the Middletown Fridays yet, but can guess that this kind of spin-off is not yet occuring because there are not many adjacent shops to stoll to just yet.

I think the real test for Pendleton is not about what happens in the center, its about what happens outside in the storefronts. There is not going to be a turnaround overnight, but this type of revitalization strategy has worked before.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 10:34pm
It wasn't 1,000 people who showed up and the soft and hard opening night, it was a few hundred, and that's the kick-off. zYou'll see the same city leaders each month, and a gradual decline in the future. sj's involvement in the MUM activities and the Boroadway Bash will have an expoential more positive and sustainable impact than anything associated with PAC. I was wondering exactly the same---how much money exchanged hands. A few hundred people will not drive revitalization. As indicated, the MUM entertainment series and Broadway Bash have far greater impact than the $500,000 expended and a handful of people showing up. But, Schiavoni's will be booked on Friday evenings when PAC is in operation, and with the same folks that eat there weekly. 
Joe Citizen View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 10:36pm
To add to SupportMidd. I have been to a couple of cities that have "revitalized," a specific area. Takes years for them to actually see something to brag about. Instead of buying bldgs. maybe we should give some incentives to put some eateries, etc next to the PAC. Maybe would keep people down there more little by little. At least wear in some of those fresh looking parking lots.
Also, cannot blame Ms. G. completely. Look at what she got dumped in her lap. Olson annexed land we could not service, Becker ran in circles, Huesman got 75K just to show up part-time. That on top of what new messes our elite have created for us. Least she has not run off screaming into the night...yet
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 11:02pm
JC, putting lipstick on the pig still makes for an ugly pig. There is nothing about PAC or Cincinnati State, which may end up a small bone to fill one building, to make downtown a destination. Yep, the few who really dig the grand ol city will show up monthly, have a few martini's and drinks before the shrimp scampi at Sciavoni's, but neither are significant enough darws to make a dent on the ugly pig.

Olson wasn't at fault on annexation---Middletown hasn't taken care of infrastructure in 20 some years, let alone the area it annexed. Ms. G isn't going anywhere. $150 Kk makes her life pretty warm and fuzzy in the crazy world of Middletown. A small fish can feel like a massive whale in small town USA. Don't think she's pullinh her hair out, and won't, unless Cinci State doesn't throw the city some bone, which they will, maybe filling partially one building.

Neither PAC nor Cin State with all the pretty lipstick in Ohio, can make the pig appear pretty. Putting lipstick on the pig still makes for an awfully ugly pig.
Joe Citizen View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 12:53am
I agree ACC. I have no visions of gradure that Cincy State or PAC will turn downtown into a jem of Butler County, or go anywhere in solving decades of lame duck gov't. I would like to see something more stopping tumbleweeds though. I doubt years will fix that. Maybe decades?
I do remember a similar "turning the corner," message from the Olson camp when we annexed all the land. A similar "strapped for cash," message followed. Like the lipstick pig analogy though.
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 8:17am
Was at the event, didn't "toss" any back, not a fan of boxed wine. Crowded at first then the chips and dip started to disappear and it thinned out fast by 8. Walked several times thru the stores and saw a few sales going on. The upstairs does have potential for large gatherings, which the Preforming Arts students showed off their talents there. Mayor, city mang.and one council member showed up. Trick tried to talk up the big event, this is the wrong guy to be running the chamber. The real winner Friday night was Stefano's, and yes I did "toss" a couple back there. Had to be one of his biggest nights ever. At the Square packed also. Spoke to Mr. Verdin still has know clue what kind of monthly sales might happen or what he needs to stay open, if he knows he would not discuss with me.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 8:40am
gs, thank you for correcting my error, I meant Stefano's too much yard work and couldn't recall Starfanos where we used to go every Friday. Yes, they will be the winners.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 10:23am
Ms Judy has to blame somone other then her or the spineless council and good ole Lesley.LOL
taxed2death View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taxed2death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 8:43pm

As Middletown29 stated.  Ms Judy’s job is to make sure this (potential jobs/economic growth) doesn't get lost or swept away by another city or state. Will she be held accountable for not doing her job?? I would really hope that someone, or dare I say it, all of city council demand an explanation as to why she didn't make sure it was kept in the forefront for this city which is the least they deserve so they can explain to the citizens of this city as to why another business/job opportunities did not stay in this city!!

I hope it gets better soon!
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2011 at 8:49pm
acclaro
Read the above
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2011 at 9:17pm
M29- get that, thanks. Point- Odds > 75%, Wausau Middletown shutdown in 3-5 years, moving all ops to Harrodsburg? Or, its stays. Gov K would beat a door down to get any jobs in Ohio, but has blown the SR5 issue, although tighter than the Dem skewed Q poll reflects (all Dem sample). Don't understand why AG Dewine allowed the "grannie" ad to be changed, and then say "VOTE NO." Confusion on too many what is YES and what is NO. Thanks for archive.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2011 at 9:42pm
Kasich really boogered up the SB5 thing.  He could've had more than half a loaf in concessions but screwed it all up.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2011 at 10:58pm

This Kasich thing could be true, or our City officials could have been too busy with Cinci State…

OR, could it be that the high muckety-mucks at Donham Plaza didn’t want a dirty ol’ paper mill intruding on their fantasy for their artsy, high-class downtown???

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
taxed2death View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taxed2death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2011 at 11:34pm
Mike_Presta   I think you are onto something.. I do belive both are to blame Gilleland wants C State so bad
and the rest of the muckety-mucks as you put it think that a paper mill will just make this a blue collor city again.Ouch  I really wish they (council) would hold people( City Manager & Economic Developer) for not
really Doing anything in there postion!
I hope it gets better soon!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic