FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown's graduation rates....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown's graduation rates....
    Posted: Jun 12 2011 at 2:42am

"Middletown grad rates lowest in Butler County", reads the headline from a story in a local newspaper.

Further along the story states:

"Even Hamilton, a similar sized “urban” district, has made significant gains while Middletown has remained mostly stagnant. Hamilton has seen its graduation rate rocket from 67 percent in 1998-99 to 92 percent in 2009-2010, according to state data."
Help seems to be on the way, though, in the form of additional funds.  But will the funds be used for remedial instruction or additional academics of any sort???  Sadly, no!!!  Instead the funds will be used for...are you ready for this, VietVet???...more administration:
"Middletown schools will receive $1.4 million over the next four years, and will use it primarily on a new data tracking system which will allow educators to review student data in multiple formats within seconds."
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
AKBobby View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKBobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2011 at 7:30am
So sad for once was a great system. Why can't Middletown improve? I'm like a lot of parents debating whether or not to leave my kid there or not. So many horror stories involving the district. Problem is who can afford private school? Not me.
AK - What is going on with that?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2011 at 9:26am
THIS IS SOME MORE AMMUNITION FOR THE ARGUMENTS MADE AGAINST THIS LOUSY SCHOOL SYSTEM WE HAVE IN THIS TOWN. GONNA ASK FOR ANOTHER LEVY? DON'T THINK SO FOLKS. NOT WITH THIS NEWS.

JOURNAL- 6/12/11

Stories such as Chapman’s have been all too familiar in the halls of MHS during the past decade. Middletown City Schools had the lowest graduation rate — 82 percent — among public schools in Butler County in 2009-10, according to preliminary data from the Ohio Department of Education.

While 82 percent is the highest rate Middletown has attained in the past 10 years, it still pales in comparison to the achievement of other area suburban and rural districts, most of which have graduation rates of 95 percent or better.
Even Hamilton, a similar sized “urban” district, has made significant gains while Middletown has remained mostly stagnant.

Over the past five years, Middletown’s graduation rates have consistently been below 80 percent. Preliminary data from the state shows Middletown’s graduation rate during the 2009-10 school year will top 80 percent for only the second time in the past decade.

Alberico said the district’s graduation numbers have increased, though not at the rate school officials had hoped.

NO ALBERICO, THAT IS NOT WHAT THE PREVIOUS PARAGRAPH STATED....IT SAYS "OVER THE PAST FIVE YEARS, MIDDLETOWN'S GRADUATION RATES HAVE CONSISTENTLY BEEN BELOW 80 PERCENT". WHY WOULD YOU SAY IT HAS INCREASED? THAT IS AN OUT AND OUT LIE.

HERE IS WHAT HAMILTON DID TO IMPROVE....

Malone said it’s impossible to pinpoint a single factor that’s contributed to Hamilton City Schools’ graduation rate climbing 20 percentage points — from 70 percent to more than 90 percent — since 2005. But he said the district has made a concerted effort in recent years to keep better records on and better track of its students.

HERE IS WHAT MIDDLETOWN IS DOING.......TO STAY THE SAME

Alberico said the district does not track the number of dropout rates nor the reasons students give for leaving high school.
“It’s data we need to have,” she admitted, adding that it may be as simple as personally asking students or parents why they are dropping out.

I REALLY DON'T THINK MIDDLETOWN SCHOOLS GIVES A CRAP ABOUT ANY OF THEIR STUDENTS EXCEPT THEIR GIFTED AND TALENTED ONES. THEY SEEM TO WANT TO PUSH THE AVERAGE/PROBLEM STUDENTS ALONG JUST TO GET THEM THROUGH AND OUT OF THE WAY. NO TIME FOR THE ONES THAT ARE NOT GIFTED AND THOSE WE ARE NOT PROUD OF TYPE OF MOTTO.

Middletown schools will receive $1.4 million over the next four years, and will use it primarily on a new data tracking system which will allow educators to review student data in multiple formats within seconds.
The system, Software Answers’ Data Map, is preferred over current methods, where student assessment is stored in capacities ranging from hard copy pages to online storage programs.
Alberico said the new technology purchased with RTTT grant money will help teachers hone in on academic weaknesses that may present themselves through the data.

IT DOESN'T APPEAR THAT THE SUPER, THE ADMIN. NOR THE TEACHERS HAVE "HONED IN" (LAUGHABLE) ON ANYTHING FOR MANY YEARS CAUSING ACADEMIC WATCH AND CONTINUAL IMPROVEMENT TO CONTINUE FOR DECADES. A "NEW SYSTEM" THAT WILL "ALLOW EDUCATORS TO REVIEW STUDENT DATA IN MULTIPLE FORMATS WITHIN SECONDS". AND THIS WILL DO WHAT TO ACTUALLY PRODUCE POSITIVE, MEASURABLE CHANGE? NOTHING BUT ANOTHER TAX-WASTING, COSTLY ADMINISTRATIVE TOOL TAKING THIS SITUATION NOWHERE. HERE'S AN IDEA....TRY VISITING THOSE DISTRICTS THAT ARE SUCCESSFUL, ASK A FEW QUESTIONS ON HOW THEY DO THINGS, TAKE SOME NOTES, APPLY WHAT IS FEASIBLE TO MIDDLETOWN'S SITUATION.....YA MIGHT LEARN SOMETHING IF YOU EMULATE SUCCESS. MERCY!

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2011 at 10:12am

The school system does not know why the students have dropped out?

With a graduation records like this do you really think
Cincy State will locate here?

Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2011 at 11:18am
The\re you have folks, straight from the All Knowing OZ (VET). Lets see 70% free and reduced lunch, 1700 section vouchers, parents that dont give a s%^$! Hamiltons grad rate went up when the city leaders got rid of section 8. Guess what OZ, ours went down because they all came here!!! I'll give you nods, could the schools do better, sure. But its an up hill battle when city leaders do not help. Get rid of section 8 and you will see a change. Students are products just like in busniess ans manufacturing. Your product is only as good as the raw material you have to work with!!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2011 at 7:32pm
Oz huh. Clever. Didn't know you were my self-proclaimed critic. In case you haven't noticed in the forum posts concerning Section 8, I am one of the most vocal city critics of this program. Have even mentioned the negative impact on the schools while bringing in low income, non-caring parents to town. Not only am I opposed to an increase in Section 8, I am opposed to any Section 8 in the city at all. Check my posts from the past if you doubt my statements here. I was there at the combined Wilson (Highview) school City Council/School Board meeting when they sat face to face. I watched as the school board discussed the Section 8 dilemma with council and brought to council's attention what the overabundance of Section 8 was doing to the schools. I also watched as Mulligan and the other children on council ignored the pleas. Council does not care about the school board's dilemma. They just want the fed money to keep rolling in so that they can pay their Section 8 slumlord buddies.

If the issue in performance is the saturation of Section 8, why aren't you down at the city council meetings pounding on the council people behind the desk telling them they are causing havoc in the schools with their ghetto programs? Why aren't the school board members making a public scene about this if it is so detrimental to the school's performance? If it is so catastrophic, why no battle between the two?

Smartman says....
"Get rid of section 8 and you will see a change". Horsecrap Smartman! The school's poor performance started well BEFORE the epidemic outbreak of Section 8. Section 8 just exacerbated the problem. You could eliminate every Section 8 family in town (I wish we could) and you would still see the school stuck on continual improvement/academic watch for years to come. It is inherent in the way Middletown schools do business each year. They will not make the radical changes needed to make a difference. They keep trying the same old failed things over and over and tell us to expect improvements. Been the same old tired story for decades. How long do you want to wait to see actual results? How long do you want to hear their same old excuses and wait for the same old bottom dwelling ranking with the surrounding districts? How long do you want to hear that this once proud school system is the joke of the area? Stop making excuses for all in this school system and start expecting improvement. After all, you (all of us) are paying big time property taxes for performance, aren't we? Do you feel you are getting your money's worth?
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2011 at 9:07pm
Ok oh Great and Powerful OZ. Lets cut the crap. If you really want change, both in schools and the city, then get the balls to come out from behind the curtain with you smoke and mirrors, ( I understand you situation at home) and lets go together to council and MSCD and make a difference. All this crap on here makes me crazy. Everyone has the answer and wants to bitch, but no one does anything. I know Randy and Tony B have been at council. I applaude their effiorts. You seem to be the one that has all the answers and complains the most. If you have the balls I will go with you to both groups. Stop bitching and complaining on a blog and lets do something if you dare!!!!!!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2011 at 2:46am

I am not trying to take sides here, but since I do know VietVet's actual identity I can speak to some facts:

I do know for a fact that in the past he has run for the MCSD school board at least once.  This is a matter of record, available at the Board of Elections.
I do know for a fact that he has spoken at several City Council meetings, as I have been there, in person, when it occurred.
I do know for a fact that he has attended several of the "Conversations with Council" type meetings around town throughout the past several years as I have been there, too, and have heard him express views similar to those which he expresses here.
I do know for a fact that he has attended and been involved with me in several attempts during recent years to organize opposition to certain city policies, develop alternate solutions, and to find viable candidates to run for city offices.  Sadly, these groups have withered due to the overall apathy in our city.
I do know for a fact that he has attempted to participate on various city sub-committees, such as the Road & Street Sub-committee, as I have served as his alternate on same.

Again, I am not trying to take sides. I am just attesting to the fact that Vet and I, along with the Tin Man, the Scarecrow, and the Cowardly Lion, and a couple of others have all eased on down the Yellow Brick Road.  We just couldn't seem to make it all the way to the Emerald City before that Wicked Witch and her monkeys tore up the road.  (It will be re-paved pending a majority vote of Munchkins, but they have to pay for it themselves.)  Wink
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2011 at 6:43am
Mercy Smartman......don't lose it. Alot of pent up anger in your post. You open with "Ok oh Great and Powerful OZ" and follow with "let's cut the crap"??? No one wants to "cut the crap" more than I do when it comes to the bull the school board and council is slinging at the citizens. Some believe it, some don't, most just don't care in this town.

You also state, "if you really want change".......let's go to council and the MCSD and make a difference". Now, as Mike has stated, I have made several attempts to speak in front of council in the past. I have attended and spoken at a few school board meetings in the past. I have attended "conversations with council/Tony Marconi sessions". I have run for school board years ago and lost after the powers to be found out through my interview with the Journal what I intended to do once elected. I have been there, you just didn't know who I was. I would like to be more active now. Working a full time job and coming home to caregive through the evening and nightime hours doesn't allow me to do that anymore. In essence, I have two jobs and, sorry to say, they are slowly wearing me down. This is my only outlet to voice my opinions concerning my hometown. Allow me that much.

You state, "you seem to be the one with all the answers and complain the most". I certainly do my fair share of complaining, no doubt about that. It is a by-product of my frustration with the condition of this town as compared to what it once was. Since the 70's, the people running this town have ruined it. Incompetence has run rampant with the members of the school board and council since that time. No city leaders elected that had the best interest of the city were on board.

"If you have the balls, I will go with you to both groups". Been there, done that on several occasions. You and I would be wasting our time. Neither entity will listen to the average citizen. Many on this forum have supported that fact within these pages. You should know by now that no one, except the chosen few, has any clout with their message when talking to either group. Look what happened with PAC that night in council chambers......the arts people packed the chamber. A few spoke in opposition to PAC and it was a clean sweep to allow PAC to have their way downtown. Council has pals in the arts community and those pals override the wants of the majority of citizens. Look at the opposition to the money that has been wasted downtown over the years. You see what we have gotten for all that money spent......still a deserted, in-active, desolate area of town, isn't it? They don't care about what the average joe wants here. The friends of council and the school board always get their way. Those with different views to each always get ignored. Been that way for decades. Neither is open-minded to different viewpoints.

You also state, "all this crap on here makes me crazy". Then why are you a participant if you are prone to being "made crazy"? It is therapy for me. I like to argue and to read others viewpoints. I like to launch verbal assaults on the city leaders anonymously. Lord knows, they all deserve it. I learn alot about the town from reading posts from people that know. There are some smart people on this forum. Some alot smarter than the people running the city and the schools.

Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2011 at 11:55am
Touche' my arguing blog friend!! I guess that Im just as frustrated as you and knew I could get an argument!!LOL Meant nothing personal just want some things to change. Maybe our city and school leaders will read this and maybe someday do what is right! Have a great day Vet!!Thumbs%20Up
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2011 at 12:25pm
Nice discussing things with you. I learn different perspectives by reading your thoughts as well as others. I certainly don't have all the answers here and I certainly don't know all that is occuring in this town as others here do. I merely spout my viewpoints and wait for responses, pro and con. As I said in the other post, there are alot of smart, well researched, in-the-know people on here. It is a shame we can't kick all the problem children out and have some of the folks who blog here in their place. I believe we would see some positive direction for a change. As has been said many times, it probably won't change in the frustration level for any of us until we start putting logical, well versed, city-at-heart, no special agenda people in place to replace the MMF sponsored puppets that are there now.

Have a good one!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2011 at 4:14pm

And thanks to both of you for broadening my English composition horizons!!!

I’m sure that the readers found it refreshing to read a Presta post alluding to “The Wiz” instead of my usual analogies to “The Music Man”. LOL LOL LOL

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2011 at 4:24pm
By the way, on occassion I have made it all the way to Emerald City using stealth tactics, and I can unequivocally state that no one there has any brains, heart, or courage to spare!!!  LOL LOL LOL
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2011 at 6:48pm

Middletown board of education to meet Tuesday night

•  
    Staff Report 12:59 PM Monday, June 13, 2011

MIDDLETOWN - A special meeting has been scheduled by the Middletown City School District Board of Education.

The meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. in the conference room of the administration building, 1515 Girard Ave. The meeting previously was scheduled for 4 p.m.

This must be to discuss giving the Super, Betsy Carter and Lisa Lowery a raise to cove the increase in health care costs!!!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2011 at 8:12pm
Article doesn't say whether it is open to the public or not. If so, kind of an important thing for the community to know for those who want to attend. Wonder what is so "special" about this session? Do the same rules apply for the school board that apply to council.....ie......if it involves personnel matters, they retire out of view of the public to spend the public's money making decisions on public servants who provide a public service?
silver bells View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver bells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2011 at 10:36pm

Vet and Mike, I have been following your blogging since 2008 with great interest Thank you both for your almost always “right on the money” observations. Thank you for your courage in challenging and seeking the reasons for the city’s and school district’s persistently underachieving systems.

Middletown leaders seem to have a death wish for the city. I can’t understand their actions or thinking in any other way. And lo and behold, it is working. A city council that pursued 56% of Butler County’s section 8 vouchers on the grounds that they were trying to decrease vacancy rates in older homes is, well, to put it kindly, not rational. Do the landlords make millions? Yes. Does the city make money? No. Does the city lose a lot of money? Yes. Does this housing place additional burdens on city services, citizens, property values, and quality of education? Yes. Does it make the city more desirable for ANYONE to want to live or invest here? No. That’s what I mean by “not rational” and “death wish.”

Now to the schools. Dragged down still further by too many unsupportive families coming into the community, the schools have embedded an underachieving culture.

Let me say this loud and clear: Are the students in Middletown any less intelligent than kids in Lakota or Mason or other high achieving schools? NO.

Are the teachers any better or worse, by and large, than those in any other districts? NO. In fact, most of our teachers will ONLY dumb down when they are pressured or intimidated to do so—which they have been, for years. Steve Price was the proverbial straw. His delusional policies absolutely rocked this district. The teachers knew it early on and were appalled. You both knew it and called it, and others did too. And where was the school board during this debacle? That’s right, supporting his ideas and renewing his contract. That’s what I mean by “death wish.” But that is a whole other blog

Do the schools consistently underperform because they don’t have enough money? No. The schools never have enough money, by their account, and this is true pretty much across the country. So it doesn’t matter how many levies are passed, MCSD will always come back for more. Nature of the beast. And you can only change that beast by starving it. See what’s happening across Ohio and the country.

Then what is the difference? How does a school system like Little Miami, now insolvent and facing possible dissolution, still rank “excellent” despite no new money? How does Lakota continue to rank “excellent with distinction” year after year despite its threats that the district’s ranking would tumble without, that’s right, more money?

It’s the families. You both have said it many times.

However, all is not lost. What does the MCSD need?

Have the new layers of administrators added in the 2000s made any difference? No. So it’s not more administrators.

It’s creating a culture of high expectations for academics, behavior, and dress within every school building. We all rise to the expectations made of us. It’s so true that it’s become a cliché, but an accurate one. It’s insisting that students take personal responsibility for their learning and OWN it, not sit passively and be told, “We will not let you fail.” WE will not let you fail? Excuse me? The student cited in the Journal article had the honesty to admit that she was responsible for her failure. And she was.

Believe me, teachers and support staff work very hard to catch kids who are slipping, but so many students are in the passive mode that it’s a tsunami of underperformance. You think the graduation rate is low? Would you like to guess what it would be if the students’ grades actually reflected their performance? Compare their school grades to their scores on the national standardized tests such as the SAT if you want more clarity.

A culture of excellence can happen in the MCSD. It will be difficult and require great commitment from the school board and superintendent. It requires putting supports in place over the transition period when many students’ grades will tumble until they accept that this is the way it’s going to be. And most teachers will have to buy in or the slackers will beat it down.  

But it CAN happen. And for God's sakes, isn't it preferable to the sorry situation we are in today? And that effort really WOULD be for the kids!

And Middie Pride would have real meaning. Do most of our students feel pride today? No. Are they proud to say they attend a school in the district? No. And they will tell you all the reasons why, and they are right on every one.

Many of our parents may not support education or even like it, but every parent WANTS GOOD SCHOOLS. Create those schools and they will come—especially the kind we WANT to come.

chmoore View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2011 at 10:41pm
I believe that the special board meeting concerns interviews for a treasurer.
c.h. moore
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2011 at 5:41am

Silver Bells,

First of all, thank you for your kind words. That was a ringing endorsement!!! Big%20smile

Second, it is good that you have decided to speak up, whether you happen to agree with the long-time posters or not. I think that you will find that honest, thoughtful opinions are welcomed here. Differing views may receive debate--and sometimes heated debate--but the discourse is usually kept civil, and if anyone (especially newer a participant) is undeservedly attacked, you will find that even those of opposing opinions will come to their aid.

But beware!!! We may whip you into such a frenzy that the next time we raid City Hall you may feel compelled to grab a pitchfork and join us!!!  LOL LOL

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2011 at 5:44am
Originally posted by chmoore chmoore wrote:

I believe that the special board meeting concerns interviews for a treasurer.
Gee...one would think that the local newspaper could have mentioned that!!!  That means it will be an executive session, so attending would likely be a waste of time.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2011 at 11:31am
It is an executive session for hiring the Treasurer.

http://www.boarddocs.com/oh/mdcsd/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=8HLPUP640F8C

Agenda Item Details
Meeting Jun 14, 2011 - Special Board Meeting 7:00 PM
Category EXECUTIVE SESSION
Subject Executive Session
Type Discussion

The purpose of this meeting is to convene into Executive Session to consider the employment of personnel, specifically, to interview candidates for the Treasurer position, with no action to follow.

Roll Call: Tyus_____Fiora_____McNeil_____Sauter____Andrew_____
jseymoure View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jseymoure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2012 at 9:31am
Middletown my not be the best in Butler county but their gad rate is not bad at all. Hamilton county doesn't even come close to that number. Instead of acknowledging their mishaps why not help them help themselves to improve where it is most need. It's very easy to ridicule another persons situation, it's much harder to help them fix their situation. Spread some love and light where they shine, talk about what they are doing right and than you can help them strengthen where they are weak. You can't complain if your not going to help, all your doing is making noise about someone else's business.Shocked
J.D.Sey
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic