FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

City Cuts- Levy Saturation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: City Cuts- Levy Saturation
    Posted: Jun 27 2011 at 11:40am
Ok Voice. I overlooked that part of the article. My mistake. The wrong has been admitted. Your ego has been satisfied as you have a dose of my humility and admittance of an error on my part. Glad to help you out.

You state..

"Instead you resort to sarcasm and hyperbole as defense mechanisms, which only further erodes a person's views of your critical thinking. I'm no psychologist but I've seen that before, usually in teenagers".

Right again. You are two for two. I do use sarcasm in my posts. Don't know how that relates to being a defense mechanism. For admitting to not being a psychologist, you seem to possess the necessary skills of analysis oh guru of human behavior. Behavior comparable to a teenager hey? Implication of immaturity perhaps? Thank you for the analysis. I will let you know where you can send your bill.
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2011 at 4:54pm
Vet, you could simply admit that you overlooked that part of the article, and that you agree with what the Mayor is saying, but that would require some humility and acceptance of error on your part.  And perhaps you're not comfortable enough in your reasoning to allow that you might agree with someone whose views you typically oppose.  Instead you resort to sarcasm and hyperbole as defense mechanisms, which only further erodes a person's views of your critical thinking.  I'm no psychologist but I've seen that before, usually in teenagers.

And yes, perhaps we differ in our definitions of "rant," but clearly you couldn't wait long enough to read the entire article to try to pick apart every single item in the news article with some comment, however ill-thought out or not.  I'd call that a rant.
"Ask not what your country can do for you..." JFK
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2011 at 6:33am
Hey, put blonde hair on that picture and I would imagine that is what the city building people have to see every day when summoned to "THE OFFICE" for some type of "open mouth, insert foot" infraction. I can just see Kohler or Landen sitting opposite this and cringing in terror while the whips and chains are brought out and they are led to "the rack".
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2011 at 11:47pm
Well, I looked up "rant" in an on-line dictionary, and it had THIS picture:
rant
(I swear it's the truth...I am NOT making this up!!!)

Anyway, my point is that it reminds me much more of a certain high-ranking city official than it does of Vet!!!  LOL  LOL  LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2011 at 9:44pm
"So there you have it--the Mayor is proposing cuts also for the non-union employees, who haven't had it nearly as good as the unions. Consider reading the entire article before starting on your rant--your views would carry more weight that way".

So, my subdued comments in caps constitutes ranting? Guess your definition of ranting and mine are totally different in context.

I stand corrected by the all-knowing critic, Voice of Reason. Never to rant again, so as to allow my views to carry more weight. Excellent observation. I will ponder your advice.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2011 at 9:38pm
Doesn't matter--in 5 years they won't have the $$ to pay anyone
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2011 at 8:22pm
Nope--$70K would barely pay for one of the public safety positions being cut when salary, OT, and benefits are factored in.  And I think it is unfortunate that the lowest tenured worker (rather than the most unneeded worker, or worst worker) gets the axe first, but such is the code of the unions. 

VietVet, did you intentionally or unintentionally omit the following from your post:

If the unions will agree to concessions, Mulligan said he’d like the city to also have non-union employees take the same salary reduction.

However, he noted that those employees have received fewer pay increases in the last 10 years.

“I understand pay cuts are never very popular,” he said. “I think it would potentially save a lot of these positions being eliminated.”

So there you have it--the Mayor is proposing cuts also for the non-union employees, who haven't had it nearly as good as the unions.  Consider reading the entire article before starting on your rant--your views would carry more weight that way. 

The unions must take the biggest reductions since they've had the biggest raises, it's as simple as that. 
"Ask not what your country can do for you..." JFK
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2011 at 8:46am
Or not waste $70k demolishing Sunset Pool when it could be left in mothballs another year?

$70k saved would easily pay for at least one, possibly two, of the lowest pay grade public safety positions being cut (because it always seems to be the low man on the totem pole getting the hachet in things like these).
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2011 at 6:21am
Today's Journal...

Council urges pay reductions
City says the cuts are necessary in order to avoid losing 31 jobs

MIDDLETOWN — Union employees are being asked by City Council to agree to a pay cuts down to 2008 levels in order to avoid losing 31 jobs.

At the City Council meeting Tuesday night, Mayor Larry Mulligan presented a motion to members asking city staff to begin negotiations with the city’s eight unions for salary concessions. The city cannot force the unions to agree to pay cuts, but Mulligan said he hopes the negotiations can help the city “find a balance” and save some of the positions slated to be cut as soon as Aug. 15.

IF THE CITY CANNOT ASKED THE UNION PEOPLE TO VOLUNTARILY CUT THEIR PAY, THEY CAN ALWAYS ASK THE NON-UNION PEOPLE. HOW ABOUT COUNCIL ASKING THE CITY MANAGER, ALL THOSE DIRECTORS AND MANAGERS....ALL NON-UNION TO TAKE THE PAY CUT? WHAT ABOUT IT COUNCIL?

Of the nine police officers slated to be eliminated, four would be lost in August through attrition. The animal control officer position would be cut and four other patrol positions — if not funded through a grant — would be cut next year, according to the budget proposal.

Another 10 jobs would be eliminated from the fire department, eight of which would be through layoffs. Up to three of those jobs would be cut this year, according to the budget proposal

CUT A CITY BUILDING ADMIN AND SAVE A POLICE OR FIREFIGHTER POSITION. WHAT IS MORE IMPORTANT, PUBLIC SAFETY OR A PAPER-SHUFFLER?

Perhaps even more than the positions being cut, residents have expressed concern about the possibility of cutting Saturday bus service for the Middletown transit system. There is no service on Sunday. The cut would save the city $20,000

FILE THIS IN THE "GRASPING FOR STRAWS" FILE ALONG WITH THIS.....

City Manager Judy Gilleland also has asked council members to consider a street light assessment. The city would tack on a $3.50 monthly fee for each household,

I WON'T TELL YOU WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH THAT SUGGESTION JUDITH. REALLY "BOTTOM OF THE BARREL" THINKING. BE NICE, IF THIS IS DONE, TO SEE EACH BILL SENT BACK TO THE CITY $3.50 SHORT OF THE AMOUNT. LET'S "PROP 13" 'EM. JUST SHUT THE DAM LIGHTS OFF IF YOU HAVE TO STOOP TO THESE METHODS GILLELAND.

Property tax levies eyed for ballot

In other Council business, voters could be facing two new property tax levies meant to raise funds for Middletown Area Seniors Inc. and the Middletown Health Department.

Both have asked City Council to place 0.5-mill property tax levies on the Nov. 8 ballot.

If passed, each levy could generate up to $422,138 annually. The senior center would use the funds for capital expenses and programming. The health department would use its funds to continue health outreach programs, community clinics and vaccinations and to enforce state health regulations.

Separately, each levy would cost $15 a year for the owner of a $100,000 house, according to the finance department.

Council will vote on whether to put the health levy on the ballot at its July 5 meeting. The first reading of a resolution to place a senior services levy also will be presented at that meeting.

GETTING A LITTLE "LEVY HAPPY" AREN'T WE CITY LEADERS?

As a result of the two new property tax levies being placed on ballots this fall, City Council instructed Gilleland not to pursue renewing the public safety income tax levy this year.

DOESN'T MATTER, WOULDN'T HAVE PASSED ANYWAY, NOT WITH THE POOR ECONOMY, UNEMPLOYMENT HIGH, TAXES IN THIS CITY ALREADY HIGHER THAN MOST CITIES AROUND THE AREA, VOTERS IN AN "ANTI-TAX" MODE, THE WASTE OF MONEY ALREADY COLLECTED AND WITH THE SENIORS AND MENTAL HEALTH ALL WANTING IN OUR WALLETS? NOT A GOOD TIME TO BE INUNDATING US WITH LEVIES

Members agreed it must be pursued to avoid further public safety cuts, but said the city should consider placing the measure before voters next year.

HOPEFULLY, IT WON'T PASS THEN EITHER. THE LAST SAFETY LEVY WAS SOLD WITH THE MESSAGE THAT THE POLICE AND FIREFIGHTER LEVEL WOULD BE MAINTAINED. HAS IT BEEN? IF NOT, WHY WOULD WE WANT TO BE LIED TO AGAIN?

BY THE WAY, IF BUDGET CUTS ARE THE TOPIC, WHY DOESN'T COUNCIL GIVE 10% OF THEIR EARNINGS LIKE THE SCHOOL BOARD VOLUNTEERED TO DO? HAVEN'T HEARD THAT SUGGESTED FROM COUNCIL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic