FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

School Chief's Pay Defended

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
sickofthebull View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sickofthebull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2011 at 11:08pm
Ok, I just had to reply to this thread and I have a feeling Fiora isn't going to like it. MCS in no way, in my opinion, focuses only on the gifted. In fact, the opposite is true. Now that the cuts have been made, the Board is hamstringing teachers even more with loaded up classrooms with full inclusion at that. What that means folks is the all the students who are special ed, as well as the ones VERY far behind (because they won't allow us to retain) are in the classrooms with little support (our inclusion teachers are spread pretty thin but hey you saved a buck right?) Under Price, the behavior issues Mr. Fiora doesn't address EVER were ALLOWED to go on in Elementary School. Students hitting, kicking, cussing, name it, at teachers as young as Kindergarten was completely allowed and ALWAYS blamed on the teachers. This hasn't changed much. We DO NOT hold students AND their parents for poor choices in behavior accountable. There are parents in this district RIGHT now who have actually said the words "I am having the same problem at home, you deal with it, I'm done". Until that type of mentality is ACKNOWLEDGED and dealt with, you won't see SQUAT in changes. There is so much more I could say here but the fact is, I'm sick of it all (thus the name). I am not saying it is only the parents fault but your teachers, city of Middletown, are busting their asses and improvement will NEVER happen on just our backs. We need support (not money) from EVERYONE.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2011 at 1:55am
If the parents dont care then why should the kids? All my kids went through Middletown schools as did I all of them would tell you names of teachers that inspired them and a few that didnt.They knew the expectations and what happens if they didnt meet them,it seems to have worked and to hear a parent say "I am having the same problem at home" I would probably loose it and get fired.And let the school call me and tell me that my kids hit,cussed,kicked or disrespected a teacher (right or wrong) and it would be on like donkey kong.Its the parents fault our schools are a fail and maybe a few teachers.I doubt that any amount of money would solve our school problems.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2011 at 9:43am
Vet, if I may, I think from reading Ms. Andrew and Mr. Fiora's response, you are..."singig to the choir", "singng off the same page" Next.  
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2011 at 4:27pm
Well I guess if you have the "cash" don't worry about the MCS.  I'm glad that a few board members come on and try to address questions but IMO it's really down to one topic and thats holding students and parents accountable for preformance. This must come from the top. If in fact the state has the system in a strangle hold and the school can't remove the trouble makers because of loosing funding then please fill us in, otherwise 3 strikes and your out.  And don't think the private schools don't drop the ball on behavior issues.  One voucher child begins the bullying crap and instead of removing him the entire school has to go thru "Bullying" classes. This happened at J23 2 years ago, along with the principle not willing to admit the abuse of cell phones being used during school hours.  I will say that this city is in a mess and needs a new city manager and a clear direction but to blame simple manners and work ethic on the city is laughable.  You can be poor and have manners, You can be poor and want to achieve a better life, You can be poor and understand that teachers are there to help and are willing to stay after school to help get you ready for the real world.  Good god we all have one chance in life to make it count and if the parents don't promote that in the house hold you can pour all the money and stats into the schools you want but it won't make a difference. Let the teachers help the childern who want to learn.  MCS's need to lay the law down and set an example of zero tolerance for bad behavior.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2011 at 5:14pm
Well said ground swat.
silver bells View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver bells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2011 at 5:59pm

Vet, acclaro, spiderjohn, Smart man, et al:

I have to say again how much I admire your concern, courage, and common sense approach to what goes on in Middletown and its schools. I have learned a great deal from your blogging over the past four years or so. It is reassuring that decent, smart people in Middletown really care about its future. Thank you for that. We need your forthright voices.

Maybe I can offer something helpful to you.

Rich Hoffman is a West Chester businessman, writer and “warrior,” amongst other things.  Below is the link to his blog site. Be sure to travel back through previous months’ blogs to as far as August 2010 to read his thoughts on all things education, although he writes social commentary across the spectrum.

If he doesn’t ring a bell ;) just delete.

But if you think his ideas have value, pass his blog on to others. And, strap yourselves to the mast J

htti://overmanwarrior.wordpress.com/about/

sassygirl View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2011 at 11:02am
The Journal said that current supt. gets $750 per month for a car allowance. Why didn't the board just buy him a car, the payments could have been less. Who needs $750 per month to drive around Middletown anyway?????? The city isn't that big.  He gets reimbursed if he goes out of town. Is this just a cover by the board to give the last man standing more money without it showing up in his salary?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic