FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frank Schiavone's Fight Against Rezoning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frank Schiavone's Fight Against Rezoning
    Posted: May 08 2008 at 1:47pm

Frank Prays in Monroe.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 1:48pm

Frank speaks to Council in this 48 minute video.
Murdock View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 3:18pm
Stop!!! This is a joke!  From the man who thinks he is God, and is by far the most evil and dishonest person I have ever had the displeasure of knowing, and to see him pray for his own selfish interest is more than I can imagine.  We reap what we sow.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 5:04pm

Today's latest update:

Frank Schiavone filed a motion for the permanent injunction. He is asking the court to stop one of his neighbors from selling land it a company seeking to build a $340 million coke-making plant.

The motion also seeks a temporary injunction pending a hearing to put a sale on hold.

Schiavone also claims his property has depreciated from $575,000 to $200,000 since news of the possible construction...

Source: Middletown Journal, Ed Richter

Photo: Frank Schiavone
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 1:54pm
As a general rule of thumb its hard to have sympathy for a lawyer, however losing $375,000 in ones property value would suck.
The Resident View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Resident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 3:38pm

If Frank Schiavone Stupid?

I doubt it, but if you are to believe the property values that he is throwing around, you must assume he is stupid. 

Frank Schiavone says his house's market value has dropped from $575,000 to $200,000.  Nancy Nix says the assessed value of all 3 parcels on Hamilton Middletown is $289,230.

If  Trial Litigator Frank Schiavones market value was less than  Tax Assessor  Nancy Nixs figure, he would be all over her like White on Rice, like Stink on S#@& or like, well, like he is on Suncoke, or he is just plain stupid

Murdock View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 4:03pm
I think he is just plain stupid & a liar
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 8:28am

I say Schiavone is pretty smart.  File a lawsuit, make a spectacle of the value of your home and land dropping.  Anyone want to bet he walks away with a deal that buys his property for at least the going market value, if not more.Smile

The tax auditors office also says the Old Hospital land alone is worth $1.3 Million dollars the last time I checked and the City/County is what giving it away for $200k, go figure.Ouch

Murdock View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 8:38am
You are probably right, he will walk away with someone buying his property for a great price.  Does anyone want to bet that he leaves his "fight" in the background and walks away from the people he is worried about, ha!
Hornet48 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hornet48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 8:40am
Pacman, you're absolutely right!!!  There's no doubt that's what he's going to do.....and they in typical Frank Schiavone style, he'll have screwed those people who believed in him during this fight...leaving them behind while he moves to another area!!!!!!!!
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 9:20am
I have to agree with Packman. Frank is out for Frank, and no one else.

Did you see the white golve segment of his presentation to council? He actually went up to playground equipment with white gloves. Exhibit A, dirty white glove from where I ran my hand down the slide.

I don't know about you, but to me that is laughable.
We are thinking about doing a 'white' glove video featuring Frank. The idea is that we go to certain parts of the town, with white gloves, then report back here with our 'white glove dirty evidence.'

John Beagle

Middletown USA

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 11:23am

Hey John you got to lay the "White Glove" stuff on the planning commission that was a rather stupid comment of Perry Thatcher.

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 2:36pm
John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 2:39pm
Oh yea, council started this by bringing up the white gloves. Frank, being an astute attorney really plays out the white glove idea.

But I don't see the relevance. SunCoke is claiming that their plant will be cleaner. Isn't Mr. Schiavone just proving their case?
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 4:59pm
John maybe you are buying the you can eat off the floor BS from Sunoco, aka Sun Coke but I guarantee you that you can't.  John you own some Sunoco stock or something?

And Hornet where soes it say Schiavone has to take care of the rest of the people that live around the proposed site.  Are any of those other people complaintants on the suit?  have any of those other people put up any bucks for schiavone o represent them if he is in fact the Attorney of record.

I don't see where Schiavone has any legal duty or moral obligation to take care of theother folks.  Their beef is with AK, Sunk Coke and the City of Middletown so far.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2008 at 10:51am
With SunCoke back to square 1, will Frank win this time? Will SunCoke relocate in Middletown, or somewhere else?

I am concerned about the potential negative consequences of this.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Tazman View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2008 at 11:27am
all he is doing is wasting people's time and money--as well as causing the emotional stress to those he and garden manor are rally in this fight.

the business community has not changed its mind on this and either has council...just a waste of our money.

thanks frank
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2008 at 2:38pm
No, he won't win this time but it will drag this out til Sept. then Garden Manor and Schiavone file more lawsuits, or someone else will.  If you Drag it out til after the first of the year, then it will be over.
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2008 at 3:12pm
I have to agree with Packman on this.

Too much resistance could fail the deal.

Bye Bye AK too.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2008 at 6:23pm
AK may have more to fear from High Oil prices than from this project.  If they start developing lighter cars, to increase gas mileage, by using carbon fibers or fiberglass or some other light weight material like the Old Fiero.  This would not bode well for AK.

So Jonathan you are saying no Coke Plant and AK is going to fold?
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2008 at 12:30pm
Pacman:

Well it certainly adds to long term supply problems here. We are seeing the way of the world is subcontracting to lower costs and increase volume units sold. With costs increasing as they are in the US, I'm surprised we make any steel or steel products here.

To answer your question, yes, if SunCoke leaves, so does AK eventually.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2008 at 1:14pm
Eventually....yes I agree eventually AK will leave, either by buy out and closure or simply by steel no longer being the product of choice.  I don't think a 20 yr. deal with Suncoke solidifies AK's position here.  A 20 year contract with SunCoke can be sold off to someone else.  If AK goes under what is SunCoke going to do?  If Ak is sold off and closed by the new owner some deal will be make with SunCoke possibly and we will still have no AK.

Look at DHL and Wilmington 6-8000 jobs out the window and DHL didn't bat an eye at the 40 year deal it had with the county and the state.  The state has $300 Million in bonds that it guaranteed for the DHL Airport in Wilmington and DHL invested another $295 Million.

Middletown needs to move away from relying on the steel industry for its bread and butter.  If it doesn't when AK goes, so goes Middletown, SunCoke or no SunCoke.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2008 at 7:57pm
Frank Schiavone is my long-time friend(as are all Schiavone family members), a savvy attorney, and in no way stupid.

I talked with him about the situation at a chance encounter last week.

I don't blame anyone closely affected(and we will all be affected) for pleading their case. I don't know anyone who would want a choke plant adjacent to their home or business.

Actually, there is no way the approved footprint fits on the property outlay with the legislated setbacks. A variance must be approved ny city planning commission to grant a very dicey waiver.

What are supposed to be 600 ft.setbacks must be waived to allow buildings and railroad tracks to within 100 ft. of the residential property lines. Should this waiver be granted after legislating such setbacks?
Of course not!
Will it be granted?
Probably unanimously!
Another clear cut reason why this should have never been approved through emergency legislation.

Armco/AK has been the saviour and leader of this community for as long as anyone alive can remember. We probably owe that entity a free shot here in all fairness. Still--the company which is currently very generous is moving away piece by piece, as part of a process that began with corporate moving to NJ long ago.

Frank Schiavone's first priority is to protect his family's interests, and hopefully a few neighbors will benefit from the ride.

Our Council had little choice.
When the big kahuna holds a gun to your head and says "dance", you dance.

Now let's get down to blasting the ridiculous street tax levy!
Murdock View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2008 at 9:24am
My sympthaties to you for believing all of that!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic