FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Becker resign?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will Becker resign?
    Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 3:21am
He should, before the end of this month, if this story from cincinnati.com is accurate:

DEERFIELD TWP. - Just days after the sudden resignation of township Administrator David Duckworth, the township is poised to get a new administrator - who is also its old one.

Warren County Emergency Services Director Bill Becker has informed his bosses that he will be leaving to become Deerfield's administrator at the end of the month, Dave Gully, Warren County administrator, confirmed Wednesday.

Becker was Deerfield's interim administrator before Duckworth was hired.

Becker's long history of public service includes positions as a police officer, police chief, city manager and city councilman, all in Middletown.

Here's the link to the story:  http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20110713/NEWS0108/107140331/
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 4:36am
Mike,
      Why would Bill Becker necessarily resign as councilman because he is taking a similiar position in another township?  He has held various positions while being on council and he has seen no need to resign?
      pn
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 5:03am
$20 says No but he will not run again, Picard is the real story if what is being spread around town is true. I'll leave it at that, but if true so much for the ward system that again IMO doesn't do a whole lot for the citizens of this town.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 5:20am

Paul,

It is simple, really.

“Township administrator” in a township is the corresponding position to “city manager” in a city operating under the council/manager plan of government.

This means that, for example, in the case of companies looking to locate in southwestern Ohio, Mr. Becker would have a fiduciary duty to Deerfield Township to do his best to lure the company there, while at the same time he would have a fiduciary duty to the City of Middletown to lure the company to our corporate limits.

Similarly, he could not fairly seek limited road construction dollars for either entity from the State of Ohio, nor could he be privy to any confidential discussions with real estate developers or any other companies that may be considering projects in southwestern Ohio, so how could he properly do either job???

Same story if a township employee applied to the City of Middletown for employment, or vice versa.

He would be in a constant “CONFLICT OF INTEREST.”

He would constantly be in danger of violating his oath of office in both places.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 5:25am
Originally posted by ground swat ground swat wrote:

$20 says No but he will not run again, Picard is the real story if what is being spread around town is true. I'll leave it at that, but if true so much for the ward system that again IMO doesn't do a whole lot for the citizens of this town.
Ground,
 I can't believe that Picard even has the nerve to try the move, if we are on the same page.  If he does, the guy has no shame!!!
What A City View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote What A City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 7:02am
Mr. Presta and ground swat.....don't hold us in suspense about this Picard thing too long now. Some of us are on the outside looking in on the unpublished news. Frankly, I like hearing the dirt on the city leaders, hoping I'll read about them going to jail in the future. Big%20smile
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 7:39am
On the surface, the rumored Picard move makes little sense. He can always run at-large when his ward term expires. He made a comittment to his ward constituents, which he would abandon. Doesn't say much for his initial pledge of service.

Honestly, with two seats open, I doubt that he would be elected. He has done nothing of significance so far, and even less for businesses/citizens in his ward. Maybe the possibility of retaining his ward seat if his at-large bid fails is his attraction to this situation, however if he loses, a serious message of "no confidence" has been made.

Anita Scott Jones is the only keeper of those up for re-election. We must support whatever direction she chooses. Ground Swat would be perfect for the short 2-year run replacing Mr.Allen, though I don't know why anyone would want a position on this Council, other than to put the hammer down on the developing Admin line-up of hustlers.

jmo
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 7:41am
Originally posted by What A City What A City wrote:

Mr. Presta and ground swat.....don't hold us in suspense about this Picard thing too long now. Some of us are on the outside looking in on the unpublished news. Frankly, I like hearing the dirt on the city leaders, hoping I'll read about them going to jail in the future. Big%20smile
Sorry, but this is such a low-down, dirty, rotten scheme that until/unless he actually tries to go through with it, I don't even want to spread it.  It must have come from MMF, though.  I doubt that he could have thought of such an under-handed trick on his own.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 8:16am
Mike & Others,
       You all are very kind not to state what we all believe is true. So let me do it. I'm told Mr. Picard has pulled a Petition to run for an at- large seat. If this is so, what would be the motivation? Its my opinion that MMf and the Middletown Mafia are determined to put Larry Mulligan back in office and to have Mr. Picard run at large, thereby, leaving the 4th ward seat open for council to appoint someone to finish out the term. They would then appoint someone who would do their bidding and that would give them the majority they need to continue to control everything as usual. Have no doubt. they will pay the price and make the effort to get it their way.
        If Bill Becker resigns they would  run someone else to their liking and still have a majority.
        The only way to avoid their continued control is for citizens to get off their apathy and refuse to vote in any incumbents. If we voted in an all new council that would get a new administration we could change the city in a short time. Anything would be better at this point. That would take some organization and effort and I'm not sure citizens will do it.
          Paul Nagy
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 8:56am

Well, the cat is out of the bag.

However, it is worse than that, Paul.

Even if Mr. Becker does the right thing and resigns, he will do so at too late a point for a replacement to be elected this fall. Therefore, the MMF cabal (Mulligan, Picard, and Allen) will be assured of no worse than a 3-3 tie in appointing a replacement. If it is a tie, and no replacement is appointed within 30 days, then Mr. Landen, Esq. will rule that the Mayor must appoint the replacement, giving MMF a four person majority on council.

If Picard wins one of the two at-large seats, then they will likewise appoint Picard’s replacement.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 9:07am
Thank you for the background information on Picard's activities. I wasn't aware that a sitting councilperson could vacate their current seat to run for another seat without first completing their current term in office. Can't remember seeing a person vacate a seat on council (or school board) and give it up entirely and leave, not stay on in another capacity. Is this allowed by law? Can one run and be elected to an assigned position on a board or council and then play musical chairs occupying another position within that council? Isn't that misrepresentation to be elected by the constituency that elected you and then jump to another position possibly representing a totally different sector of people? And what gives with all this internal appointing of positions? This may not be illegal but sure seems a tad bit shady on the scruples. Doesn't surprise me though as it may involve the MMF'ers who, by their actions, seem to possess no scruples or class at all. Imagine that, Lawrence Mulligan, a "company stooge" for the MMFers. Wonder how it feels to play the puppet to a group of classless people? Wonder how it feels to sell out? Sad thing to do for a man who has "been around the block" a few times. No pride? Ya know, ya get to a certain age where you don't have to kiss anyone's behind. Apparently, some older people haven't gotten that message. JMO
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 9:19am
Mike you are gravely underestimating the corruption in Middletown and the microcosm of Vatican politics. Becker has no intention of resigning. He took a job as EMS Director and is bolting just for a higher paycheck...rather ethically bankrupt move. He is the Vatican glue with LM, DP, others. You are quite wrong to think BB's compass would guide him to resign, actually comical. They work for city hall, they will put the majority together to control the bidding for the city friends.

Your voice will be gone and JL is a lame duck. The union amazes me. A failed city leader being put back in same position. A body will suffice if member of OPERS and the Republic party.

A slap

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 9:19am
Vet,
That was a good one!!! LOL LOL LOL   Since when did legality matter to any of these people??? 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 9:24am
Acclaro,
While I don't disagree with your comments in sentiment, the EMS Director position does not have the constant "conflict of interest" incompatibility issues with being a councilperson for another municipality that Township Administrator does.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 11:08am
Mike you will not find COI in the lexicon of BB nor LL copy of      Blacks Law Dictionary. Goodness they taped attorney client jail conversations!

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 2:37pm

fellow freedom fighters--this mission may be diificult and bloody, though it is also clear and simple.

Anita Scott Jones must be re-elected to whatever position she chooses to run.
Mr.Allen's seat must be filled by someone sympathetic to the overall public and be of stellar character and intent(Ground Swat for example). There isn't much interest within the ward, and this is only a 2-year term.
Mr.Picard must be defeated if he chooses to run at-large.

I like Mr.Picard, however he can be beaten. He hasn't accomplished anything of note, was absent throughout the Supthin St.disaster, and has offered little to businesses within his ward. Plus--he may seek to abandon his supporters who put him in office, and the position for which he took oath of office. If he chooses this path, we must ? his intent and pay very close attention to his campaign supporters(and $$$ of course!).

Hopefully Mayor Mulligan will be challenged. He may trumpet his accomplishments, though the door will be opened to ? his decisions and ability to serve evenly as a uniter of Council, rather than pushing his personal agenda. Watch his cash situation also, though he may be flush from his last run. Keep in front of everyone his "My way or the highway" speech.

We must unite behind specific qualified best-interest candidates, and enlist public service and city employees to bring about proper change.

It can be done with little to no $$--to prove another important point.
Simply takes organization, information, relentless persistency and personal commitment in what you believe to be the proper course for our city.

Trust me--no one is overly satisfied with our current elected situation.
All incumbants and those affiliated are ripe and ready to be plucked from their positions.
Accomplishing this should not be difficult.

jmo
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 3:31pm
Good point

Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

<SPAN lang=EN>

Paul,

It is simple, really.

“Township administrator” in a township is the corresponding position to “city manager” in a city operating under the council/manager plan of government.

This means that, for example, in the case of companies looking to locate in southwestern Ohio, Mr. Becker would have a fiduciary duty to Deerfield Township to do his best to lure the company there, while at the same time he would have a fiduciary duty to the City of Middletown to lure the company to our corporate limits.

Similarly, he could not fairly seek limited road construction dollars for either entity from the State of Ohio, nor could he be privy to any confidential discussions with real estate developers or any other companies that may be considering projects in southwestern Ohio, so how could he properly do either job???

Same story if a township employee applied to the City of Middletown for employment, or vice versa.

He would be in a constant “CONFLICT OF INTEREST.”

He would constantly be in danger of violating his oath of office in both places.
</SPAN>
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 8:24pm
Mr. P you bring up a valid concern with Mr. Becker and as I spoke to a friend today about this, I looked at it like a two week notice from a employee, thanks but you can leave now.  But my emotions are getting in the way as I remember the B-LLSH-T our ex-city manager went thru with the three horsemen and a wacked out female councilwomen yelling at another women in a red dress at a city park. And yes I realize he has a questionable past with the police force but his commitment towards this city is without question, until today. Do you blame him?  We all want someone to stand up and say "I'm as mad as HELL and I can't take it anymore"  and I believe if given the chance Mr. Becker would do so. The Public sector is know rose garden but Bill has devoted his life to that system and IMO knows it's faults.  Another investment out the door is how I look at it and when he was going thru the sh-t as manager not many citizens including me came out to support him and let him have a chance to prove himself.  Having the largest employer of the town you manage move it's offices out of town while a councilman stirs the pot with the union and stops a council meeting to order our law director to write up a proclamation in support of the strike, sorry Mr. Becker you must not have gotten the memo.  We are fighting for the I-75 business. He will be fighting for the I-71 business. I wish he would stay and fight for us.
jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 8:35pm
Well said swat. Besides, could Middletown attract the same quality business that Deerfield can? I know the planning and economic development folks at Deerfield..Top notch!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by jag123 jag123 wrote:

Well said swat. Besides, could Middletown attract the same quality business that Deerfield can? I know the planning and economic development folks at Deerfield..Top notch!
Probably not.  After all, many (but certainly not all) types of quality businesses desire visibilty from the Interstate, and Middletown's City Hall simply will not allow that.  They prefer to "hide" all signs of business, industry and commerce from the eyes of potential customers.  It takes a away from the "quaint, sleepy village" image that Mulligan and company want to project.
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 9:57pm
Spiderjohn,

Are you really are such an ardent supporter of Anita Scott Jones?  Or am I perhaps missing your deadpan humor?  She frequently seems lost on the issues presented before council, and it's evident to me she often hasn't done much work prior to the meetings.  For example, did anyone else notice that, with regard to a discussion on street lights at the last meeting, she had no idea what a "conduit"  is or referred to in that context?  Scott Jones then used the term "con-du-ant" several times even after an explanation by the city engineer as to what he had been referring to by "conduit." 

How can you believe that she really knows what's best for Middletown if she has a hard time following relatively commonplace terminology in the course of a council discussion?  I'm not an electrical engineer by training, but I would posit that many other non-EE's would also be able to readily grasp the meaning of a term like "conduit," particularly in the context of a discussion on electrical lighting installation.  This is only the most recent example of how she seems out of her depth and ill-prepared for the matters before her.  And yet you blindly state that she "must be re-elected to whatever position she chooses to run."  Unbelievable.  I guess we will get whatever government leadership we deserve in the next election, but I would ask that you think about just sitting this election out, for the sake of all of us.
"Ask not what your country can do for you..." JFK
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 10:02pm
In regards to Picard, thanks for that 4th ward support.? IMO if this guy can get elected again, this town deserves the respect it's been getting for the last 10 years for another 10 years.  We will be the ones to blame, but this is the system thats out there.  Tony vs Dan tickets on sale Aug 1st.   Good God! 
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 11:25pm
well vor--I value honesty, integrity, fairness and compassion.
Tech support can be purchased cheaply.

This election and the precluding public discourse should be very interesting.
A lot of hard ?s will be asked.
Failed policies don't make for much of a resume.

r u happy with the current community situation?
If not--whom might you hold responsible?
ANY change would be an improvement.

Our problems were being created over decades--those in their first term, while not blameless in the lack of solution, are not the core issue here. Those up for election now must face the ?s towards their direction and past decisions. We will deal with other names/faces in 2 years. Their time will come also.

jmo
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2011 at 5:51am
SJ- thanks for those kind words but I have way to much rage. And for someone who can't even figure out how to use spell ck or start a thread on this site I doubt I'm suited for the job. To many chef's in the kitchen for me right now. At this point I almost wish for a dictator, which I do NOT want to ever see happen or hope for it. Whats sad IMO is if we had a STRONG city manager that could make decisions and follow the "MasterPlan"  and not use council as a part of her staff. I'm not saying council shouldn't ask questions but now we have a council "women" I better not get that wrong, who wants to cater to each home owner for sewage hookup or lamp install. The first is a state mandate, so at "the end of the day" she makes staff look like 3rd graders. Know wonder a few of the others don't say much during council. This was not intended to pile on about Jones but to make a point that this city manager is weak and a has our city staff wondering whats going to change the next hour. Full moon is awesome time to go row with the rest of the slaves.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2011 at 7:50am
Fair enough and understandable, swat.
Still--we need quality horses in the race to have any chance at a win.

As for Councilman Becker---while he will have a clear conflict, I would rather see him retain his seat as opposed to having our Mayor pick his replacement. I see Mr.B as understanding our direction over his long run, and possibly being more receptive to our thinking. Wouldn't it be sweet to watch Mr.Allen and him go out with a late swing our way? Surely they are fed up with the secrecy and nonsense(not to mention the results of their effort and commitment)..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic