FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Council election update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Council election update
    Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 10:19pm

Here is the latest election update:

For mayor:

Lawrence P. Mulligan, Jr. and Anonymous have pulled petitions, but neither has filed their petitions.

For the two at large council seats:

Eddie Todd Moore, Daniel J. Picard, Anita Scott Jones, Anonymous, Jacob W. Shiflett, and Joshua Steve Toms have pulled petitions.  To date, only Mr. Moore, Mr. Picard and Ms. Scott Jones have filed their petitions.

For the unexpired Ward One seat:

Anonymous and Ann Mort have pulled petitions, but neither has filed their petitions.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 8:42am
Todd Moore is running for at-large:
http://www.VoteToddMoore.com/Home.html
https://www.facebook.com/VoteToddMoore

He must be Anonymous.
FmrMidE View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FmrMidE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 11:00am
Well not NOW he isn't!!!!LOL
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 5:10pm
Eddie Todd Moore is, indeed, running for an at large seat and was, in fact the very first Middletonian to file his petitions.
Somehow I erred when I originally copied and pasted the info above from the Board of Elections website.  I now have edited that post.
I assure Mr. Moore that the error was unintentional and sincerely apologize for my error.
Also, please note that I was the first to announce Mr. Moore's candidacy in another thread. Click here: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3988 then scroll down to my 15 Jul 2011 at 5:35pm post.
Once again, my apologies to Mr. Moore.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 12:46am

For mayor:

Lawrence P. Mulligan, Jr., has filed his petitions.

Anonymous has pulled petitions, but has not filed.

For the two at large council seats:

Eddie Todd Moore, Daniel J. Picard, and Anita Scott Jones have filed their petitions.

Anonymous, Jacob W. Shiflett, and Joshua Steve Toms, and Anonymous No. 2 have pulled petitions, but to date have not filed.

Ann Mort has filed her petitions.

Mike Presta currently has 81 signatures on the petitions pulled by Anonymous, and plans to file by 4:00 pm on 8/10/2011.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 6:33am
Does anyone know on which side of the fence these people stand? We know Mort, Mulligan and Picard are MMF sponsored gofers. How about Shiflett, Moore and Toms so far? Are any of these people MMF sponsored? Anyone know these people? Good for the city or more problems? Guess we'll find out soon enough in the forums.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 8:27pm

For mayor:

Paul Nagy is currently gathering signatures on the petitions pulled by Anonymous, and is encouraged by the number of signatures he gathered earlier this evening during his first effort.

Mike Presta filed his petitions with the Board of Elections today, shortly before 4:00 pm.

etmoore View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2011 at 12:40am
Everyone,

I want to announce my candidacy and encourage folks to visit votetoddmoore.com. Being new to the forum, I know many have questions about me and my ideas for Council. I look forward to sharing my ideas with you.   

Take care,

Todd Moore

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2011 at 12:58am
Originally posted by etmoore etmoore wrote:

Everyone,

I want to announce my candidacy and encourage folks to visit votetoddmoore.com. Being new to the forum, I know many have questions about me and my ideas for Council. I look forward to sharing my ideas with you.   

Take care,

Todd Moore

Welcome to the dark side Mr. Moore and thank you for coming here to post,I look forward to hearing your thoughts about the issues that are facing us in this once great City.
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2011 at 8:33am
I would also like to announce that I am getting petitions signed to run for an "at large" council seat. I decided to run after Mike Presta and Paul Nagy announced that they were running. Only if the three of us along with Josh L. can be the majority can we truely start to  turn the city around.Having honesty & integrity in our city building would be a breath of fresh air. Spending money wisely and as intended would help start the recovery of our once fine city. Putting citizens and our city first, instead of thinking of more ways to steal money from the citizens would also improve our image. I will be glad to answer questions about my views about turning our city from the fastest dying to a city that we can once again be proud of. You will hear in the near future that I am too negative, but even an alcoholic has to admit that he has a problem before he can start to help himself!
Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2011 at 10:04am
Nick....need more signatures? Will you set up a location like Mr. Nagy did to sign? How about the same place as Mr. Nagy if it's ok with John and randy sue, that is.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2011 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Nick_Kidd Nick_Kidd wrote:

I would also like to announce that I am getting petitions signed to run for an "at large" council seat. I decided to run after Mike Presta and Paul Nagy announced that they were running. Only if the three of us along with Josh L. can be the majority can we truely start to  turn the city around.Having honesty & integrity in our city building would be a breath of fresh air. Spending money wisely and as intended would help start the recovery of our once fine city. Putting citizens and our city first, instead of thinking of more ways to steal money from the citizens would also improve our image. I will be glad to answer questions about my views about turning our city from the fastest dying to a city that we can once again be proud of. You will hear in the near future that I am too negative, but even an alcoholic has to admit that he has a problem before he can start to help himself!
Thanks to all three of you for stepping up.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 1:51pm
Got this pic from Randy Lewis earlier this morning.

It's Mike Presta doing something that makes him smile.. Not sure what it is but it must be relevant to this thread or I would not have posted it here. : )

Best of luck Mr. Presta!

“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 3:43pm

Mr. Wendt,

That picture was taken when I turned in my petitions this past Wednesday, August 10, at the Butler County Board of Elections.

Thank you for posting it!!!

JoshToms View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoshToms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2011 at 8:03pm
Hello all, I am Josh Toms. I am at present a member of the Middletown Cemetery Board in the capacity of Vice-Chair. If there are any questions by any and all interested, please feel free to pose them to me as I am open to any such relevant to Municipal issues at hand. I am, of course, pro-small business and would like to see new policies necessary to draw those with small business back to Middletown instead of everywhere else. Our town cannot survive on entirely retail based branches of corporate entities and fast food chains. Therefore, we need good, honest people making products and providing services locally. We need a "shot in the arm," so to speak, with industry as well, as small business alone will not revive a city once abundant with commerce and trade. Attempting to bring satellite campuses of varying colleges has already been a prospect seemingly squandered in the past and I would like to do what is necessary to see it through, as well as bring other opportunities for education and jobs. I have a family of my own, and I would like to see our schools improved as I do not want to see our children receive an under-par education. I have no affiliation to MMF or any similar organization, and am merely a man trying to bring new blood with a fresh perspective and rationality to the table. A table that has seemingly lost its way. I have tired of seeing the city swallow up land they do not need and have no use for. I have tired of grudge matches between citizens and the city. And like most citizens, I want to see REAL change to turn this city around and back in the right direction to provide a good and prosperous home with job security and safety for our families. I believe in this city and remember it full of promise and with many prospects on the horizon. Now, understandably, some have begun to leave our home because they are forced to, seeking opportunities where they can be found. I would like to give them a reason to come back, a reason for new people to make their home here, for those who are still here to stay, and with enough business for our populous to thrive. We have every possible advantage working in our favor if we could only make use of them and follow through to fruition.

Please feel free to let me know any ideas you have for the improvement of the city at JoshuaSToms@yahoo.com. I would like to hear what our citizenry thinks, and have every intention of listening and implementing good, creative and effective ideas.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2011 at 8:56pm
Mr.Toms how about asking are "Spineless Ones" what happen to the money that was set aside to the cemetery?Changes will happen as soon as the "SPINELESS ONES" are out of office.They,including Ms Judy has done nothing for this city except run it into the ground further.Mayor Mullethead got his damn  wish on the the lights even though some of his neighbors said they couldnt afford it.Guess when they loose there house's the city will buy them up.Ought to be ashamed of yourself.Ms Scott JONES has said before,:She has nothing to be ashamed of."Well Ms Scott Jones think hard and long you will come up with a few things you should be.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2011 at 9:23pm
Mr. Toms;

What land would Middletown be swallowing up that it does not need?

folks at MiddletownUSA, let's not run a newcomer off so quickly with our postings...Please.

PACMAN
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2011 at 8:49am
Mr. Toms..
I agree with what you have said so far. You asked for questions....here goes....

1. Realizing Middletown needs DECENT jobs in the worse way, what types of jobs would you propose and how would you work with the Econ. Dev. Dept. to attract those jobs?

2. Do you agree that an overhaul is needed at city hall with the disposition of the city manager and some of the directors in various departments within the city building? If so, realizing you would have to "get your feet wet" after occupying a council seat, how much time, if any, would you give Gilleland/certain Directors to change there ways or lose their jobs via termination? Would you be willing to proceed with termination?

3. How would you attack this "business unfriendly" environment that Kohler and friends have created, driving existing and potential business away from this town?

4. Do you agree with all of this building demolition that has left numerous empty lots around town? If not, how would you propose to stop Gilleland and company from demolishing everything in sight? How do you feel about how Sunset Pool has been handled by the city?

5. What is you stance on the purchase of the buildings for the Cincy State project that has not materialized as planned? How do you feel about the PAC idea and do you think it will ever deliver as promised by the city and what;s his name who put it together?

6. Would you be willing to be an outspoken critic against the Butler County Commissioners, the state reps/senators for their apparent lack of acknowledgement for Middletown in this county? None of these clowns know Middletown exists anymore and have apparently written Middletown off as to any importance.

7. Do you feel Middletown has an overabundance of Section 8? If so, what would you do to work on eliminating the voucher numbers and reducing to 700 or so, rather than over 1662 that we currently have? Would you be willing to fight the people in town who apparently have made this town as welfare state? Would you be willing to help the schools in reducing the numbers and their burden of trying to educate the stereotypical student/problems that go along with the lower income/welfare scenario?

8. Would you make an attempt to set up a working relationship with our neighboring communities that has been lost with past and the current city leaders? It is important to cooperate with our neighbors, isn't it?

9. Would you take a stand against the Mulligans, the Beckers, the Picards, and the other MMF influenced drones if elected? Would you represent the people and not the small controlling power brokers who are calling the shots now as to the direction of this town? IE-can you be influenced using MMF pressure to comply?

10. Since you are on the Cemetery Board, how do you feel about the way the mausoleum issue has been handled by the city?

That's a start. Will await your responses. Thank you for your time in considering these issues.
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2011 at 9:49am

If possible I would encourage folks to go to a Cemetery Board meeting and see Mr. Toms in action.  There is know underlining message in this request he has stepped up to the plate.  A "Test Drive" has always helped me when making a decision. A two hour meeting once a month is a little different then being in council chambers.

JoshToms View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoshToms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2011 at 3:31pm
LMAO, concerning the Cemetery, there has been much talk about the past funding regarding its "mismanagement." You should attend a Cemetery Commission meeting to witness for yourself what challenges we face. After so much of attempting to point fingers by so many people, the city flatly refuses to concern themselves with this matter. There has been a long chain of domino effect that lead to certain monies not being used on the cemetery. Believe me when I say, we HAVE inquired. However, it is difficult to focus on actually getting things done, now, in whatever way we can. Currently, there is some money set aside which is in the process of being used for professional restoration of tombstones. The rest is being done by external funding as we progress. I will not go into further discussion on this particular topic here, though. But I welcome you, again, to come and listen and take part of the meetings.

VietVet, I will start by saying that I am admittedly new to legislature, but am a very quick study...  However, I will attempt my best without council's "inside track" on the issues.

1) It would seem to me that we need to begin with fundamentals. My father was in the construction business for a long time, and one can usually judge a local economy by looking at its physical growth in construction. The housing market is lagging all over the country, but that does not mean that commercial construction has to come to a halt. Clearly, this must be tied in to new businesses needing buildings to operate from. We need to think outside the box on WHAT business we bring into the city. We have been focusing on general business, and that's great. We need your standard businesses that any city requires. I think that encouraging creative thinking in business ideas with possible tax incentives could be an answer. By creative thinking, I mean niche marketing. I've come across many people over the years with very great ideas for businesses that no one was willing to take a chance on out of overly conservative fiscal thinking. By no means am I talking about banks lending to whoever for whatever, as that is how we got where we are to begin with. But reaching out to younger entrepreneurs instead of the same old established money makers around town is in our best interest. There is a brand new generation with a lot to offer.

2) I am in many ways very unsatisfied with the way administration has handled certain matters. And yes, I do agree that this city is in dire need of an overhaul. Without a change in operations, we will continue down this path and eventually this city will have been completely sucked dry with the shell gnawed on. If there is not a serious improvement in the way things are done in the administration, I'm all for the removal of any employee who demonstrates sub-par work and whose primary interest isn't the city itself and it's citizens.

3) I think this question ties into the first in many ways. Part of the issue, however, is actually personability. There are some members of Council that are very cold and inaffable. A warm demeanor and WILLINGNESS to listen to a citizen simply to improve communicable relations is in order. People need to know that they are not constantly at odds with the people on Council. I would very much like to demonstrate that trait in myself and encourage it in others. It should not be an "us versus them" scenario when citizens come to propose business ideas. There is much else to be done though. And I am willing to roll with punches and adapt and maintain fluidity to overcome this difficult challenge.

4) No, I wholeheartedly do NOT agree with all of this demolition. It is unnecessary to say the least, and there is often history behind many of the buildings being torn down. And though I'm sure there are many justifications for doing so (there always are), does it not cost money to pay for these demolitions? Money we supposedly do not have? This is also what I was speaking of in terms of the city swallowing up lands it does not need. Why is Sunset pool now in the city's hands? I'm sure another demolition is in order. But for what? To... build houses? People cannot sell the houses they have. I doubt we need another zero lot line sub-division.

5) I am very upset, very angered that we have not done EVERYTHING in our power to bring in Cincinnati State to Middletown. This could be the opportunity of a lifetime, and I would like to personally aggressively pursue negotiations with Cincinnati State until the job is done and we have a new branch campus in our city. As for PAC, I apologize. I am not familiar with that acronym. Further explanation would be greatly appreciated, and then I would be more than happy to provide a response for you.

6) Yes. I agree we have been largely ignored by our State Representatives and County Commissioners. As I have never sat in a Council seat before, I do not know the cause of this problem however. I cannot say whether it is because our Council members are disagreeable, because they have chosen to ignore them, because of personal grudges, or if the reason lies with the County Commissioners and State Representatives. Although I will say, once I am convinced of the reason, I will seek to regain their attention. If it is Council's fault, then I will work to re-open communication lines between us. If the blame rests with the other governing bodies, then I will be an outspoken critic of this until our city once again gains due respect and attention.

7) This is a difficult question. While I do think that section 8 is a valuable service to those in need, I am quite obviously not for its abuse. These are harsh times for all of us, and I would not want to unjustly take a needed service from those down on their luck. But if there were a review of these familes, and there were some found as "milking the system," then I would support their removal from the service. Obviously it comes down to pros and cons. Is removing a set number of people from the welfare service worth it fiscally? In terms of the social impact to the families? By this, I mean that particularly, say, as you have, I set a number before hand as a goal of reduction. Then it would seem that I will be looking for flaws a reasons to dismiss people rather than looking at facts. However, there is a large sum of money spent on welfare each year, and possibly some new guidelines and restrictions are in order to maintain ones status. Possibly a review after a certain amount of time and a quantifying of personal progress. This too requires money though, as we will undoubtedly have to pay workers for this and must weigh how it comes out before enacting anything. But there is much to be considered, and I am only thinking out loud in discussion with you. For our schools, there has been RAMPANT mismanagement in the school systems for quite some time, and I am fully dedicated to overhauling the cancerous state in which our school system resides. It is a mess, and it needs cleaned up. Now.

8) Diplomacy is the art of the civilized. I cannot think of something more important than good relations with our neighbors. This is the source of trade and commerce we need. We are not an island, and cooperation with those who surround us is imperative. Further than just whose lands touch ours, it is of the utmost important we gain relations with any and all we can. New jobs and goods rely upon it. I will work vigorously to open communication with our neighbors, I assure you.

9) I have always considered myself a man for the people. This is why I am running now. I cannot stand by while our city is pillaged by plunderers. I will NOT be bought, influenced, bullied or intimidated into following an agenda that is anything less than what our citizens want. The time of this oligarchy is at an end. Those who seek to keep themselves and their interested parties in positions of power can and will be toppled. They seek to prevent you, the citizen, from making your own decisions, from choosing your own leaders. This is a republic the last time I checked, and elected democratically I might add. It is no ones place to restrict that most sacred of rights we have as Americans. I am infuriated at the audacity of some of these people. There is no excusing their actions.

10) The Cemetery Commission is something that I am willing to discuss, but only in brief. As I am on the board, and any and all I have to say on matters can be heard at any meeting, I just don't want to spend a ton of time on the subject. That being said, the way the mausoleum has been neglected is regrettable. Decades of ignoring the entire cemetery has certainly taken its toll. In the past few years though, there has still been little improvement despite some of our citizens best efforts. It has been difficult negotiating with the city on how to actually get things done. There are factors that are distracting, to say the least, when it comes to this subject. However, I have truly dedicated myself to making sure that the cemetery vault and tombstones ARE preserved and restored to their rightful state. We are also seeking higher historical status for the cemetery as well, which will have a large impact on many of its needs. There are citizens that have a "grandfathered-in" right to being buried there. I fully intend to make good on their right to do so and in a manner befitting the reverence and respect due to those passed on.

I appreciate your questions VietVet. They were comprehensive and I enjoyed engaging them with you. I hope I have been informative and that my answers have lived up to expectation.

Ground Swat, I encourage ALL who would like to see me in action to attend the Cemetery Commission meetings. Up until just our last meeting, we were having two meetings a month, but have now cut them back too just one. Every third Wednesday of the month. Hope to see you all there.
JoshToms View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoshToms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2011 at 7:50pm
Please excuse the one or two typos in the response. My apologies.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 6:35am
Mr. Toms. Thank you for your responses. To clarify my questions,I offer the following comments for your understanding....

Question #5 concerning PAC. This stands for the Pendleton Arts Center located downtown in the old Armco/John Ross building. The city helped the gentleman get started with the idea of setting up an arts center to stimulate the downtown/draw jobs to downtown and to draw artzy type folks from here and out of town. The financial help came to the tune of several hundred thousand dollars of taxpayer money. The idea was for this gentleman (help me out on the name guys...I forgot ) to rent out spaces in the building for artist to make and sell their wares. To date, a coffee/sandwich shop has located there and a few artists have been announced, but no real earth-shattering success. The deal here is that the guy can leave town anytime he wishes and leave the city holding the bag for the money given to him. There is no obligation on his part. (Sound familiar...Cincy State come to mind with the four buildings purchased without a contract for occupancy nor purchase?)

Question #7 concerning the Section 8 program in Middletown. The issue isn't helping people down on their luck. The issue is the excessive number of Section 8 vouchers in relation to the population of this town. This town is suppose to have ~ 700 vouchers issued. Instead, the city leaders have accepted over 1662 vouchers and HUD is loving them for it. They are literally making Middletown a ghetto/welfare/low income embarrassment of a town and they are doing it to help their friends who are Section 8 slumlords, putting HUD fed money in their pocket. (While there is no proof of this, perhaps the city leaders are getting a kickback from these slumlords for doing them the favor). BOttom line....Middletown has over twice the number of HUD vouchers issued as any other city in Butler County. No other city in the county, including Hamilton, has the excessive Section 8 people that Middletown has.

IMO, your other responses are on target for the change we need. Now,IMO, you need to keep those thoughts, we need to get you elected and you need to team up with Mr. Laubach and Ms. Scott-Jones to overcome the MMF influence on this council. We also need to get Mr. Nagy and Mr. Presta elected to start the process of turning this around for the people and gut the dam MMF candidates like Mulligan, Picard, Mort and the "Allen types" (all puppets for the MMF'ers)

You want to know what is really going on in this town. Read this site, not the frikkin' Journal. They are bought and paid for by the MMF and will not publish the truth if it is damaging to the little group of powerbrokers calling the shots now. They don't know what investigative journalism is. Don't have a clue. The Journal is no longer a viable entity in this town since it was taken over by the Dayton Daily News years ago and is no longer run by the locals.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 7:25am
Jim Verdin
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 7:50am
7. Do you feel Middletown has an overabundance of Section 8? If so, what would you do to work on eliminating the voucher numbers and reducing to 700 or so, rather than over 1662 that we currently have? Would you be willing to fight the people in town who apparently have made this town as welfare state?

Section 8 Update

Two years ago the City Council decided to hire the Inspection Group for the inspection of the Section 8 housing units. This became a nightmare and all failure and blame for the problems that followed was placed on CONSOC. It was because of these problems and a lower bid to manage the program that City Council approved Nelson & Assoc.

In January the City agreed to pay Nelson & Assoc an extra sum of money for 60 days to ramp up their business so they would be ready to “hit the ground running”  in mid March when they would take over the Section 8 program from CONSOC.

The City purchased the new paperless operational program for the Section 8 program and they still don’t have the bugs out of this system. We are now being told that it should be ready in September.

I believe when all the numbers are tallied next March we will find that Nelson & Assoc and the Inspection Group were not a bargain at all.

Now for the conversation about the reduction of Section 8 in our community
Over the past 10 years the City Council approved each and every increase of Section 8 vouchers in our town.
The City of
Middletown can not force any Section 8 tenant out of the City limits and or remove them from the program without just cause.
The City of
Middletown can not force other areas around us to except the Section 8 tenants that we no longer want in our community. If they wanted more Section 8 in their towns their city councils would have voted for an increase.
After two years of huffing and puffing I believe that next March you will find that the City of
Middletown will still have 1662 Section 8 Vouchers.  

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2011 at 10:44am
10/4 on the Jim Verdin 409!

Mr. Nick Kidd. You are running for office aren't you? Would you care to tell us how you feel about the questions that Mike P. and Mr. Toms have responded to or wait for the forums? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback provided. Helps in making a voting decision. Please join in if you care to Mr. Nagy. Would be interesting hearing from you too sir and thank you all for providing an alternative to the same old tired MMF faces. We already know what they can (in this case....can't do for the city)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic