FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sunset Pool Demo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sunset Pool Demo
    Posted: Aug 09 2011 at 12:03pm
Demo has begun on Sunset Pool  Ouch

LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2011 at 12:08pm
Like to put all but one of are spineless ones in that big hole and bury them.I guess that means we get to walk in Doggy Doo Doo now? Cry
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2011 at 2:16pm
Sad day we can't afford a swimming pool in this sh*t hole of a city but we can afford to pay 500,000 for old buildings that no one wants?
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2011 at 2:43pm
Yes it is a sad day.They found a way to put the screws to us on there damn street lights.Dont care what anyone says,we the taxpayers will be paying for them.Our Spineless ones arent nothing but LIARS!!!!!! Love to be there when each one of you come through the gates of heaven.Oh wait,God dont like Liars and theifs.Smile
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2011 at 3:14pm
This is just sad....and some BS!!!
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2011 at 4:36pm
When did council approve this?
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2011 at 4:41pm
It's a sad commentary on the fiscal state of Middletown. We can't afford to keep our pools open.

In this town we are tearing things down rather than building things up. Sad, very sad.

Originally posted by 409 409 wrote:

Demo has begun on Sunset Pool  Ouch

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2011 at 6:49pm
had lot of fun there back in the day, im 56, and still remember being a tot and afraid to jump in the kiddy pool. LOL then getting into my teens and chasing all the hot chicks LOL my mother is 81 and she was going there when she was a child.. everything in middletown has tuned to sh*t , so i guess the plan is to turn this park into sh*t, dog sh*t that is...Disapprove
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2011 at 10:42pm
Vote for Mike PrestaAngryAngryAngry
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 6:48am
They should leave that nice concessions building standing IMO. Doesn't look like it is in bad shape by the picture. Haven't been over there in a year or so. Could be converted into a place similar to The Holiday House at MUM or the party house off of University (can't remember the name of it now) across from old Fenwick HS. Got a kitchen and parking, right?

I agree with all. Sad to see Middletown disappearing one building at a time. Almost drowned in 1952 when I was a little kid in the kiddie pool bumper mentioned. It was separate from the big pool and you had to go down a few steps to get to it. Use to be 2 or 3 large slides on the nearest end of the pool as you look at 409's picture. (in the early edition of Sunset Pool) and a rickety old wooden bathhouse as you entered the pool from the parking lot. At the top of 409's picture, would have been the diving boards.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 8:10am
Vet.....They are leaving the bath house/concession building in place.

Went swimming in the old pool regularly. Circa 1960, before the 1979 rebuild.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 8:36am
It's also entirely telling of the hypocrisy of those controlling the city that we have to demolish a pool yet can give the golf course a MILLION dollars over the last five years with not one cent ever being repaid.

I guess all of us poor folks should just take up golf, no?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 10:36am

Vet.....They are leaving the bath house/concession building in place.

Went swimming in the old pool regularly. Circa 1960, before the 1979 rebuild.

\

Hey! Nice picture. Just as I remember it as a kid. There was a small pool to the left of the pool at the bottom of your picture 409. That's the one where I almost drowned.

This picture shows only one large slide to the right of the yellow unbrella/lifeguard stand. I thought there were multiple slides in a row at one time. They all had water running down them for easier sliding.

Good decision on leaving the concession stand IMO.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 11:08am
Has anyone discussed what the annual cost is to just leave it mothballed for a few more years?  What's the harm?  There's probably no money to do anything with this land anyway.  Well, other than fill it in and have it be a doggie crap field.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 11:19am
Vet....I can't take credit for the 1960 photo. I borrowed it from the Library Lens site and should have noted it.
If you look closely at the left side of the photo, the other slide is partially visable.
This is how I remember it, with 2 slides. Also remember the two 10' and two 3' diving boards on the east edge.
As Edith sang to Archie "Those were the Days".

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 11:31am

Vet....I can't take credit for the 1960 photo. I borrowed it from the Library Lens site and should have noted it.
If you look closely at the left side of the photo, the other slide is partially visable.

This is how I remember it, with 2 slides. Also remember the two 10' and two 3' diving boards on the east edge.

As Edith sang to Archie "Those were the Days".

I do see the other slide now 409. Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like a newer bath house to the left of the photo also. I remember a wooden one where you rinsed off entering and exiting the pool. Anyone remember that or is the mind going at 62? Yep, some of us older people keep going back in time to ease the pain of what is currently happening in the city. Guess it's too painful to watch as your good memories keep going to the dump in trucks. The younger ones here will feel the same way when their time comes and their memories start to die with "progress". It'll come for them down the road.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Bill Bill wrote:

Has anyone discussed what the annual cost is to just leave it mothballed for a few more years?  What's the harm?  There's probably no money to do anything with this land anyway.  Well, other than fill it in and have it be a doggie crap field.

I would say the mothball cost would be minimal. The largest mechanical problem involves leakage at the floor seams and a few spots in the floor where the concrete is thin and has disintegrated. This is all repairable.
They were going to find $70,000 to demo this thing. This $70,000 would easily have repaired the problem and kept the pool open another year. But then again, golf is more important than a child learning to swim!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 12:01pm

Originally posted by Bill Bill wrote:

I would say the mothball cost would be minimal. The largest mechanical problem involves leakage at the floor seams and a few spots in the floor where the concrete is thin and has disintegrated. This is all repairable.
They were going to find $70,000 to demo this thing. This $70,000 would easily have repaired the problem and kept the pool open another year. But then again, golf is more important than a child learning to swim!

Ya know, I still don't understand. If the price to keep the pool open was projected to be $50,000 per season, and there are ~ 50,000 left in the city, why couldn't they have charged one lousy, measely dollar per person in each household, on their water bill, to fund the pool. You are charged for garbage pickup. Will be charged for street lights perhaps. Is two, three or four bucks per person, ONE TIME SHOT per swim season, too much to ask? Is this community really that poor as to not being able to afford this on a one time shot per year? OR, offer the people of Middletown a yearly membership. The folks who can't afford high-roller Brown's Run, Forest Hills, or Wildwood Country Club memberships could benefit from this, right? What will the poorer families do now for swimming? ..........OR......has the advent of home above and in-ground pools actually killed off the public pool interest and nothing suggested could save this thing?

In years to come, perhaps this community and it's leaders would have wished they had mothballed it after they filled it in. Sometime, down the road, perhaps in better times, given ideas are not necessarily new, just regenerated, someone is going to suggest a public pool for the community. And the cycle begins again.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 12:03pm
99% of the mothball costs is in the upkeep of the concession stand building, which is NOT being demo'ed. So why waste our money on demolishing a pool that wasn't being maintained in the first place? These kind of questionable choices are what make me seriously consider voting for things like levies and tax increases.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 3:02pm
ooooh wow cool beans on the pool pic Thumbs%20Up purdy sure i was there that dayLOL mom took us there like every day because dad worked at the mill and needed his sleep when working 2nd and 3rds, could go there and make all the noise we wanted LOL 
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 3:47pm
Look at the bright side guys, we still have the splash pads!

bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 9:54pm
thats looking like a  "ZONK" !!!! PRIZE on lets make a deal....Wacko
tessc57 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tessc57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2011 at 8:44am
I have to agree. Great times at Sunset Pool, I was on the swimming team with Coach Dillon when I was a child. We would walk to the pool and spend the entire day there. How sad to see this happening. Cry
Tess
tessc57 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tessc57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2011 at 8:46am
THERE IS THE POOL I REMEBER! Good times!Tongue
Tess
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2011 at 11:49am
A very sad day for our community.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic