FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can Middletown Be Brought Back From The Brink

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can Middletown Be Brought Back From The Brink
    Posted: Aug 13 2011 at 10:10pm
As many of you know it is no longer quite as easy as it use to be for me to do research and posts on MiddletownUSA forums, due to being blind, but I am improving and getting the hang of it.

Over the last 8 months it doesn't appear that much has changed in Middletown to attrack new residents, new businesses, etc.

It has become quite obvious that Middletown will not change unless the citizens as a whole come forward to make the needed changes. The City Council and Admin spend the bulk of their time in meetings dealing with internal matters and issues that only effect a small group of citizens in Middletown each time. For example; City Council spent weeks talking about lighting on Main Street to benefit a few. City Council/Admin spends weeks each year talking about Union Contracts. City Council/Admin spends meeting after meeting talking about a levy for the Health Commision & the Senior Center. City Council then spends many hours during their meetings listening to charitable organizations and feel good projects which bring little to Middletown to address the Major Issues.

Each year we hear the State Of The City Address with much that is needed to be done for Middletown and we as citizens are continually neglected and disappointed. City Council does little out of the box thinking to deal with the issues that are causing Middletowns continual decline. They appear to only be able to deal with the repetitive issues each year that only keep Middletowns Head above water. I do not see any serious thinking being put forward to improve infrastructure, tear down 3000+ homes/buildings, stem the flow of businesses leaving Middletown, improving Middletown so that businesses want to come to Middletown, etc. Instead the City sues local businessman for signage issues and ends up hiring lawyers to fight the constitutionality of their sign ordinance.

The only way for Middletown to move forward is for the citizens to step up to the plate and realize that it will cost money to improve the major issues in Middletown. Such as infrastructure, tearing down abandoned homes, rectifying the section 8 situation, etc, there is no free lunch folks. We all must realize that it will cost to repair these issues and the remainder of the problems in Middletown.
The issues will not be fixed by continually writing on MiddletownUSA and complaining about them. A significant number of citizens must step forward and put forth ideas that will move Middletown into the 21st Century. The three issues that I would like to see tackled are: Infrastructure, ie roadways, Demolition of the 3000 + abandoned homes and the Section 8 issues. Some of you may have other issues and ideas that should be brought forward minus the insults and name calling. I will put forth my thoughts on the above three issues in the near future.

I would like to think that everyone realizes that unless we band together and work as one Middletown will never improve. We can no longer sit by and allow the city to continually work on lonly the issues which benefit a small number of people each time. The City does not appear to be capable of dealing with Middletown as a whole. I hope to hear some input from the rest of you and many others.

If you'd like to contact me you can do so at blindbobc@gmail.com

PACMAN
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2011 at 9:11am
Pac... we may start to see the beginning with the good people on this forum who are willing to make the effort to run for office, representing the people and not the dam MMF contingent. Mr. Nagy, Mr. Presta, Mr. Kidd and Mr. Toms are to be commended for stepping up this time to challenge the ones who are not good for this city. Hopefully, Mort, Mulligan and the others who are misguided/ incorrectly focused, and just plain screwing up this city with their lousy leadership can be ousted when their time comes. Hopefully, the voters who have had enough, will show up and cast enough votes to overcome the voters who would support the current regime. Twofold plan to make a real change in this city IMO. Need to restock the council with representation for the people and follow that up with the termination of the city building leaders. It won't be enough just to have the people's reps on council. Gotta clean out the deadwood in the city building too. Gilleland and crew will work against the non-MMF council members if they are still here, negating any progress we may see with city building cooperation. JMO
PattiGal View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PattiGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 3:25pm
On a personal note....PACMAN, you are an inspiration to all!!! What a come-back from a life-changing disability! Just love to read your posts- not only because of the content, but also because of the effort that goes into them! Keep us in awe....
"Because nice matters..."
etmoore View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 6:03pm
Viet Vet,  have you chosen your candidates?  Don't forget about me--Todd Moore.  Keep an open mind guys.  Just wanted to remind you that I'm running too.  As a candidate, I come with a Masters Degree in Public Policy, published Akron Law Review, and 6 years of Community Development experience in Dayton and Cincinnati. In addition, I spent two years working in the Middletown City Schools, so I'm aware of the challenges faced in our schools.  In my current position as Director of Education and Outreach, I work to build partnerships and find innovative policy ideas to solve problems in housing and community development.  Our city needs new leadership with experience not just opinions. 
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 6:12pm
Well said Patti-Pac is without a doubt the middle ground we need in the system.  Deal a little bit with the challenges of heart issues but Pac has shown us all "The Glass is half full"!!!!!!! 
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by PattiGal PattiGal wrote:

On a personal note....PACMAN, you are an inspiration to all!!! What a come-back from a life-changing disability! Just love to read your posts- not only because of the content, but also because of the effort that goes into them! Keep us in awe....
Patti,
I certainly second your sentiments!!! I had an opportunity to visit with Pacman just last evening and his spirit is amazingly upbeat, as is his wife's!!!
They face huge challenges, yet remain upbeat.
Thumbs%20Up Thumbs%20Up Thumbs%20Up
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 6:29pm
Mr. Moore:
Is your "current position as Director of Education and Outreach" with the Middletown City School District or with some other entity???

Readers:
Please note that I ask this question only as a voter.  He is running for an "at-large" seat on City Council (two to be elected), and he is not my opponent for the Ward One unexpired term.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
etmoore View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 6:55pm
Mr. Presta,

My current position as Director of Education and Outreach is with a nonprofit in Cincinnati--not the Middletown City Schools.  For more information about my background and experience please visit votetoddmoore.com. As you indicated, I will be running for an At-Large seat.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2011 at 6:19am
Originally posted by etmoore etmoore wrote:

Viet Vet,  have you chosen your candidates?  Don't forget about me--Todd Moore.  Keep an open mind guys.  Just wanted to remind you that I'm running too.  As a candidate, I come with a Masters Degree in Public Policy, published Akron Law Review, and 6 years of Community Development experience in Dayton and Cincinnati. In addition, I spent two years working in the Middletown City Schools, so I'm aware of the challenges faced in our schools.  In my current position as Director of Education and Outreach, I work to build partnerships and find innovative policy ideas to solve problems in housing and community development.  Our city needs new leadership with experience not just opinions. 

No, Mr. Moore, I have not chosen my candidates as yet. The other candidate (Mr. Toms) posted that he would like to receive some feedback and indicated he wanted to field some questions from this site, so I accomodated him. Would you like to have the same questions addressed to you and tell us your thoughts or would you rather wait until there is a town forum before the election? I will make my decision after everyone has spoken which is the only logical thing one can do, if all candidates are to have a fair chance.

If you would like to field your responses to the questions asked, please feel free to do so sir. The topics include decent job creation, overabundance of Section 8- hurting the schools, would you be influenced by the MMF'ers and inner circle in town. Do you agree that the city manager and others need to go after the new council is behind that desk, cooperation with our neighbors, letting Hamilton commissioners, state reps and senators that we are here and won't be ignored any longer, business friendly instead of business unfriendly approach, etc.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2011 at 7:38am

VietVet:

I thought you’d never ask!  Big%20smile

1. Realizing Middletown needs DECENT jobs in the worse way, what types of jobs would you propose and how would you work with the Econ. Dev. Dept. to attract those jobs?

Yes, Middletown does need decent jobs, and decent jobs of all sorts.  Although it appears that our ED department has been ardently pursuing high tech, medical, educational, and similar professional opportunities, I think that they have been less diligent in their pursuit of manufacturing and similar blue collar-type employers in a quantity sufficient to meet our city’s needs.  We cannot forget that Middletown is home to thousands of skilled, and semi-skilled tradespeople, persons blessed with mechanical training of all sorts, and younger people with the aptitude for such trades. To simply bemoan the fact that the steel, paper, and construction industries may have declined here recently and write these good folks off as “obsolete” would, in my humble opinion, be a big mistake.  Such people are an asset, and not a liability, if only our ED department would be allowed, and encouraged, to bring industries here that utilize them.  Our city cannot be financially, or socially, healthy if we simply either write off or ignore this large segment of our citizenry.  The Advanced Design Solutions project (on Reinartz Blvd.) is a small step in the right direction, but we need more, and bigger, steps.

2. Do you agree that an overhaul is needed at city hall with the disposition of the city manager and some of the directors in various departments within the city building? If so, realizing you would have to "get your feet wet" after occupying a council seat, how much time, if any, would you give Gilleland/certain Directors to change there ways or lose their jobs via termination? Would you be willing to proceed with termination?

Well, I certainly agree that some new direction is needed, and it does seem likely that some changes are in order.  However, I think first we must ascertain whether the apparently weaknesses are the result of senior staff misleading council or council misdirecting senior staff.  I am not one to ask to see the heads roll of people who were just following instructions.  I absolutely think we need to move in some new directions, either with senior staff, or with their replacements.  Of course, you must realize that one council member cannot do it alone.  I can assure you that, if elected, I will be asking some very direct questions, and I will be asking them publicly.  I will also do my very best to protect any employees who wish to come forward but have been reluctant to do so for fear of losing their jobs.

3. How would you attack this "business unfriendly" environment that Kohler and friends have created, driving existing and potential business away from this town?

Please realize that all I will be able to do is to “propose”.  One of the very first things I would be doing would be to make a series of motions.  Some of you may recall a 10 Point Plan that I outlined a few years ago, part of which dealt with this very subject.  These motions may die in want of a second, or they may fail.  Hopefully, there will be enough new, open minds on council to hear me out.  I will work at once, and tirelessly, to end our current mislabeled brand of “business friendliness” and replace it with a true business friendly atmosphere that will allow our city to thrive economically once again.   

You specifically mention Mr. Kohler.  My stance will be that we move ahead, in a business friendly manner, towards all prospective businesses.  Whether we do this with Mr. Kohler or without him will, to a point, be up to him.  At least that is MY view!

4. Do you agree with all of this building demolition that has left numerous empty lots around town? If not, how would you propose to stop Gilleland and company from demolishing everything in sight? How do you feel about how Sunset Pool has been handled by the city?

That is a broad question, and not easily answered briefly.  Some of the demo probably needed to be done, and more likely needs to be done as well.  I do think that some of the demolition should have been the responsibility of others, and the City seems to have made some very poor deals.  One council member standing alone cannot stop the current, or any, city manager.  But then that makes the decisions to demolish actually rest with the majority of council, doesn’t it???  If four, or more, members of council disagree with the City Manager’s decision on demolition (or on anything else) there are ways of putting an end to it.

5. What is you stance on the purchase of the buildings for the Cincy State project that has not materialized as planned? How do you feel about the PAC idea and do you think it will ever deliver as promised by the city and what;s his name who put it together?

In my view, the purchases of the buildings for Cinci State were rash, and ill-conceived.  But I don’t think that is just an opinion, I think that history has now proven that to be true.  Off the top of my head, I cannot imagine a solid argument otherwise. (That is not to say that I am not 100% of the “hope” that Cinci State will happen here, without forcing our city into bankruptcy.  However, “hoping” will not make it so, and the whole affair has been shrouded in a secrecy that boggles the mind of open government advocates.)  With PAC, the taxpayers paid for one thing (and we shouldn’t have), and we seem to have gotten something different. All of the second floor “studios” that were supposed to be such an economic engine have somehow been transformed into a banquet hall, but we are left with no recourse, thanks to the agreement that we drew up to protect them.

6. Would you be willing to be an outspoken critic against the Butler County Commissioners, the state reps/senators for their apparent lack of acknowledgement for Middletown in this county? None of these clowns know Middletown exists anymore and have apparently written Middletown off as to any importance.

The County Commissioners?  I would criticize any decisions they make or any actions they take that are unfair to Middletown.  I would not criticize them just because they seem to ignore us.  Perhaps a better question might be “Would I be willing to attend County Commission Meetings to make it more difficult for them to ignore us?”  Certainly!

As far as former Sen. Cates, I have noticed him in attendance at our council meetings several times.  Again, rather than criticize, I would ask for his help, whenever appropriate. (He was recently appointed senior vice chancellor for the division of Innovation and Enterprise Development with the Ohio Board of Regents) or for that of current Sen. Coley,or Reps. Derickson or Conditt.

7. Do you feel Middletown has an overabundance of Section 8? If so, what would you do to work on eliminating the voucher numbers and reducing to 700 or so, rather than over 1662 that we currently have? Would you be willing to fight the people in town who apparently have made this town as welfare state? Would you be willing to help the schools in reducing the numbers and their burden of trying to educate the stereotypical student/problems that go along with the lower income/welfare scenario?

Short answer? Yes, we have far more than our share of Section 8.  I thought the current council directed the administration to begin reducing the number of vouchers.  It is a mess, it must be remedied, and I fear that this is another case where things have been hidden from the public.  Honestly, I am unsure what can be done, but something must be done, and if we don’t have the right people to do it, perhaps some changes need to be made.  Honestly, I doubt that a single voice on council will be able to do anything.  I don’t like that answer, but that is the way I see it with what info is available to me right now.

8. Would you make an attempt to set up a working relationship with our neighboring communities that has been lost with past and the current city leaders? It is important to cooperate with our neighbors, isn't it?

To answer the last part first, YES, it is important to cooperate with our neighbors.  I believe that the entire area can move farther, faster, if we cooperate.  How to repair the damaged relationships?  I am a man, not a magician.  I don’t know.  All that I can do is try.

9. Would you take a stand against the Mulligans, the Beckers, the Picards, and the other MMF influenced drones if elected? Would you represent the people and not the small controlling power brokers who are calling the shots now as to the direction of this town? IE-can you be influenced using MMF pressure to comply?

The easiest questions of all!!!  Take a stand against the gang?  I have, and I will again—whether elected or not.  I can stand up to any pressure from anyone because they simply have no leverage to use against me.  They can’t go to my employer—I have none.  They can’t go to my clients—I have none.  I have absolutely no business interests of any kind in the area—not even stock in any local company (unless it is hidden deep within some mutual fund.)  I owe no one, save the mortgage on our primary residence—not even a 2nd mortgage.  I am beholden to no one (except my wife) and I intend to stay that way.  My only responsibility will be to the citizenry! 

John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2011 at 9:41am
Pacman in the words of Bill Cunningham...

You're a great American!
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Business Banker View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Business Banker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2011 at 4:27pm
Mike,

I am the new branch manager of US Bank in Middletown (Roosevelt & Breiel). This Advance Design Solutions project is very exciting. Do they have an estimated time of opening and who is the contact?

Thanks!
Christina Lewallen
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2011 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Business Banker Business Banker wrote:

Mike,

I am the new branch manager of US Bank in Middletown (Roosevelt & Breiel). This Advance Design Solutions project is very exciting. Do they have an estimated time of opening and who is the contact?

Thanks!

Hello Ms. Banker, welcome to our community! 

To the best of my knowledge (which I admit is limited), the project is supposed to be complete in the spring of 2012.  However, I have heard some talk that there were some unexpected environmental remediation issues that were encountered that may have delayed things slightly.

I do not know who the contact person is, but you should be able to obtain that information easily from the City’s Economic Development department.  I suggest that you call (or otherwise contact) Denise Hamet at (513) 425-7847.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic