FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Elections panel imposes fines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elections panel imposes fines
    Posted: Aug 19 2011 at 12:00am

From the MJ:

Elections panel imposes fines on councilman

Smith may have to pay thousands for late finance reports

By Andy Sedlak and Jessica Heffner, Staff Writers 10:41 PM Thursday, August 18, 2011

MIDDLETOWN — A city councilman may have to pay more than $24,000 in fines after a state agency ruled he has failed to file necessary financial reports.

The Ohio Elections Commission on Thursday imposed fines against Councilman A.J. Smith for not properly filing his campaign finance reports from his 2009 campaign with the Butler County Board of Elections. The reports have been late since Dec. 22, 2009, and the fine is $25 per day that will continue to accrue until his documentation is submitted, according to the commission. It adds up to $24,250 in fines as of today.

Smith, who did not attend the hearing, said of the fine that “it’s all good.”

“It’s really nothing more than a misunderstanding,” Smith, 22, said. “I am not in a panic.”

An affidavit can be submitted by Smith to the commission within the next 45 days responding to the ruling. Smith can also bring his files into compliance — an option he could have exercised since the complaint was filed, according to the elections commission.

If the paperwork or affidavit is not filed and the fine is not paid within 45 days, the case will be forwarded to the Ohio Attorney General’s Office for collection, said Chris Hughes, of the Ohio Elections Commission.

Smith said he plans to file the affidavit, and said the complaints about his finance reports are “a matter of opinion.

“I understand my position,” Smith said. “People are going to make of this what they want to.”

Smith’s treasurer, Charles Turner, submitted a written response regarding the issue, said Philip Richter, executive director of the Ohio Elections Commission.

“Essentially (Turner) said he was asked to do the work but never really had any control of the information, documentation or anything like that,” Richter said. “He tried to say, essentially, he wasn’t responsible for any of it.”

bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2011 at 7:02am

AJ just got to tell ya, thanks for giving me a good laugh this early in the morningLOL (“it’s all good.”) LOL(Turner) said he was asked to do the work but never really had any controlLOL“it’s all good.”LOL  “I am not in a panic.”LOL and next time you hear a bangin its just Mike DeWine sending those state boys to knock on your door you might NOT wanna flash your gun on this one LOL “it’s all good.”LOL i know for sure im NOT gonna panic LOL  “it’s all good.”LOL funny stuff AJ LOL YOU THE MAN LOL

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2011 at 7:36am
And the hits just keep on a comin' from our 2nd Ward rep. Just goes to show you the difference in people and their approach to a problem. Mr. Smith thinks "it's all good".....no problem.....just a misunderstanding. I, on the other hand, would be worried sick about how I was going to come up with $24,000 in fines (and growing everyday) and whether I was going to jail eventually when I couldn't come up with that kind of money. Then, to have your treasurer say none of it was his fault and trying to opt out, is not exactly reassuring as to support.

Mercy!

Must be nice to think nothing is going to happen with the state breathing down your neck.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2011 at 9:33am
Smith, who did not attend the hearing, said of the fine that “it’s all good.”

Good for whom? The board of elections will never see a dime of that fine. Yet there are real people spending real time (time is money) on this at the taxpayers expense.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2011 at 3:13pm
Doesn't everybody see....nothing is ever AJ's fault. It is all just a misunderstanding!!!!!!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2011 at 4:24pm
Let me summarize this in 4 words...

AJ A Joke...

Resign

PACMANCool
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2011 at 6:17pm
Cant Council vote to remove the Misunderstood A.J.? How long does this dead city have to put up with his inconsiderate ways? Again A.J.,Dont go away mad just go the hell away.Smile
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2011 at 11:18am
Did AJ use campaign funds for personal expenses and isn't filing reports to cover up his illegal use of these funds?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic