FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Airport

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2011 at 5:30pm
Mr. Bevis E-mailed me back with Quick response.  I was told he was returning phone calls.  Need to mow the yard, sweep the carpet, make dinner, help with homework, kiss the wife and then I'd be open to having a beer and talking about this absolute lack of job performance.  I'm hoping some council people are being contacted since most of us have that Ace Reporter Peter Packer(a.k.a. Brown Noser)  giving the heads up before the Journal.  59 posts about a pool, which is a important topic but how did Mr. Bevis and the city get to this point.  Mr. Bevis "Called Out " the city manager over the Public air waves.  This is beyond OLD NEWS!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2011 at 5:34pm
Sorry 71 Posts
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2011 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by ground swat ground swat wrote:

Mr. Bevis E-mailed me back with Quick response.  I was told he was returning phone calls.  Need to mow the yard, sweep the carpet, make dinner, help with homework, kiss the wife and then I'd be open to having a beer and talking about this absolute lack of job performance.  I'm hoping some council people are being contacted since most of us have that Ace Reporter Peter Packer(a.k.a. Brown Noser)  giving the heads up before the Journal.  59 posts about a pool, which is a important topic but how did Mr. Bevis and the city get to this point.  Mr. Bevis "Called Out " the city manager over the Public air waves.  This is beyond OLD NEWS!
Hmm...patriotic citizens meeting at the local tavern to discuss their grievances about government tyrants, just as in the days of our founders.  I like it!!!  Count me in!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2011 at 6:55pm

People of Middletown:

Perhaps this is the last straw.

Certainly, there are two sides to every story.  Certainly, the emails which are the subject of this thread tell only one side.  However, I have had great reservations about several of the decisions that the present City Manager has made during her tenure here in our fair city.

Perhaps it is time for City Council to examine the facts of this issue, and then to explore their alternatives in the Human Resources area.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2011 at 8:03pm
Hey a couple of facts, first Mr. Hart was convicted of tax fraud for failing to pay over employee withholding taxes in the amount of about $750,000. Sentenced to several months in federal prison. Not sure how long or when he served.

Mr. Bevis, as I understand, negotiated the sale of the FBO with Mr. Hart before informing the City. Mr. Bevis knows of Hart's criminal history and the fact that Hart withheld that information from the City. Mr. Bevis also knew the City had not resolved several issues with Mr. Hart over his lease with the City.

It seems Mr. Bevis was trying to cash in by selling his business, which is basically a contract with the City to run the airport.

Looks like Bevis got in over his head with the wheeler dealer Mr. Hart.
jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2011 at 8:34pm
Middletown29... Have you talked to Mr. Bevis? If not, why don't you? A lot more here than meets the eye.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2011 at 8:42pm
Middletown29:

Perhaps you missed Ms. Gilleland's newsletter:
"This is the premier event of the skydiving year and parachutes will be popping all weekend! Stop by and see the excitement at our airport!"
Don't you find it strange that she so highly touts an event being produced by a convicted felon with whom she refuses to sign a contract???  So, does she want him here or not???  Can't she make up her mind???  Is he a crook or an asset???  Which is it???
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2011 at 8:49pm
Following is the text of an email that I sent to all members of City Council:

Subject:  Senior City staff performance

Lady and Gentlemen of Council:

Certainly, you are all aware of the emails that have been posted on MiddletownUSA.com regarding the airport and the City's dealings with the FBO and the skydiving company.

While I realize that there are two sides to every story, and these emails tell only one side, I have had great reservations about several of the decisions made and actions taken by the City Manager during her tenure with our fair city. I feel certain that it is debatable whether or not many of these decisions and actions have been in the best interests of the greatest number of our residents and our city as a whole.

I am not alone in holding these opinions. Identical and similar opinions are held by many, including some of our most prominent (though less vocal) residents. Many will not speak out for fear of retribution due to the vindictive nature of some members of senior City staff.

I am sending this email simply to let City Council know that they would have the support of a number of citizens if Council should decide to make changes in the management of senior City staff, including, but not limited to, the City Manager.

I have no fear of retribution, and would be pleased to speak out if Council feels vocalization by the citizenry would be of aid in any actions. I am certain that I could muster several other citizens to do likewise. (However, I am scheduled to be away from town on some dates in September due to prior commitments.)

No reply to this email is necessary. I would prefer to see a reply by action of the City Council.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2011 at 9:25pm
My belief is three sides to a story, Oct 18th is when he should be released.  Not knowing Mr. Bevis that well my question is the same to him, what caused this for him to come out of the wood work and drop a bomb of a e-mail in the cities lap?  Council "camp out " in Jan. they know of Harts issues but we are moving forward with Fast Tracks.  Does Mr. Bevis have a track record for being a grand stander or a "crook"  Is Mr. Becker that out of touch that he would send a e-mail over the air waves wondering why we are at this point in the game.  Who's in charge?????  I have much bigger issues like ever one else on this site but this SMELLS and the odor could be coming from both ends of this mess for all I know.  Lots of layers to an onion, just like lots of people in the last 48hrs. doing damage control.  If it's that bad I guess I'll see in ad in the paper for an airport manager.  Just like this never ending story of the city on the track to recovery Mr. Hart has a story also, don't know him never met him but Warren county I know wasn't real happy to loose his business.  Got a funny feeling certain folks won't let him forget his past and that just might put an end to this story, wouldn't blame him.
Molly View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2011 at 9:28pm
Mr. Presta:

I have not been on here for awhile but I agree with your version of the "city of two faces". I am a regular jumper at the airport and have known John Hart for 4 years. Mr. Hart did skip tax payments to save his employees. He turned HIMSELF in, made the payment in full and will be released in a month, serving half of his term. He has invested several hundred thousand dollars of his money in his operation at the airport, which in reality, is an improvement in city property. Middletown29 sounds as if he/she is influenced by the 2nd floor of the city building and should take Jags advise and talk to Mr. Bevis, himself. You think that will happen?

Miss Molly
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2011 at 10:14pm
Molly,
Thanks for your input!!!

Middletown29:
Here's a couple of facts for you:
  1. If the City Manager had any reservations about signing a deal with the entity, she should've investigated LONG BEFORE it ever got this far.  She should've run a D&B, perhaps.  Are you saying that she let things get this far along when either: A) she knew NOTHING about the guy, or B) she thought he was a "crook" and still let things go this far???
  2. Where is Councilman Picard on this deal???  All I've ever heard about councilpeople needing to be on boards and commissions is that it is necessary so that council will "know what is going on".  Picard is on the Airport Commission.  Are you saying that the Airport Commission had NO IDEA about any of this, or are you saying that Picard hid this from Council and the Manager??? 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2011 at 10:19pm
IF the City does not want to do business with this guy, then how did things ever get so far along???

It begs the question:
Who knew what, and WHEN???
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2011 at 2:45am

Don't know if anyone noticed but we had a little storm go thru this mornin............jezzz!  Another layer of the onion which after talking to several airport folks they can only remember Mr. Picard at one comm. meeting.  I believe they meet more than once a year.  Everyone is tight with their time and certainly can't be expected to make ever meeting, but only once since being in office?  Isn't this the airport that has a plane up in the air every 15mins. on wkends dropping people who PAY Start Jumping. Maybe know one notices because their downtown shopping buying art and spending money at all the eateries that are open every day of the week.  Already have heard how shocked certain people are by Mr. Bevis's letter and if theres another angle to this, I hope so it's called making money and trying to survive in this town.  Of course this Admin. always hits it's numbers and never changes their mind or forcasts how their going to bring change to the section 8 issues.  Mr. Becker makes it pretty clear in what he thought was happening and I would say the rest of council was on board.  I'm sure Mr. Robinson can find Fast Tracks a new home if needed but something tells me a outside source may come down from the heavens and cover our $100,000 plus employees butt, again. 

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2011 at 5:45am

I long have held the position that this business of council members on all of these city boards and commissions is nonsense.  Granted, there are a couple of cases where council members are mandated either by our City Charter or by the Ohio Revised Code to be members, but darn few.  For the most part, in my view it is nothing more than resume building and ego boosting. 

Worse than that, it is an obvious conflict of interest.  If one examines the City’s codified Ordinances, the bulk of these boards and commissions have a single purpose:  To advise City Council on the matters pertaining to that board or commission.  For a Council member, even a non-voting  Council member, to sit on a board or commission that reports to Council is not only the very definition of a conflict of interest, it is a slap in the face to the members of the board or commission and the rest of the community, suggesting that the board or commission cannot properly function without a member of Council on hand.  Again, that is my view.

Every time I have raised these points, there have only been two counterpoints offered:

A) Having a Council member on board is the only way Council can know what is going on.

This is hogwash since every meeting of these boards and commissions is a PUBLIC meeting and ANY interested member of Council is free to attend and see for themselves what is going on...they don't have to be a specially appointed "member" of that particular board or commission.  Additionally, if the board or commission does not “advise” Council, as is their purpose, Council certainly has the authority to replace the members who refuse to “advise” them with members who will do so.  Also, all such boards and commissions are required to keep minutes and submit same to Council.   If they don’t, they should be replaced.  If Council doesn't bother to read those minutes to know "what is going on", then shame on Council.

B)  All the other cities do it, too.

This “all the other kids get to do it, so I should get to do it, too” logic is so juvenile, that it does not even deserve a response.  In my view, it is more of an arguement to replace the person making it (whatever their position), than it is an arguement for having Council members on boards and commissions.

Let me assure the citizens of Middletown of four things:

1)     If I am elected to City Council this November, I will accept NO appointment to ANY board or commission that is not explicitly authorized by the City Charter, the Codified City Ordinances, or the Ohio Revised Code.  (I will not even accept one then, unless no one else will accept it.)

2)     At the first business meeting at which I am a member, I will move that legislation be prepared to put the force of law behind the spirit of my point 1) above.  The motion may die for lack of a second, or it may fail for lack of three more “aye” votes, but I will propose it if elected.  And I'll vote FOR it, too, unless someone makes such an unimaginably powerful arguement against it that I am forced to eat crow!!!  I can't fathom that happening, but as always, if I am proven wrong, I won't stay on the "wrong" side just to be bullheaded.

3)     At that same first meeting, I will move that legislation be prepared mandating that the time and place for ALL meetings of all boards and commissions be part of the published “community calendar” on the City’s web site, so that any Council member, and more importantly, any CITIZEN, who desires to attend will know where and when each and every meeting will be held.

4)     4) At that same first meeting, I will move that legislation be prepared mandating that all meetings of City Council, except executive sessions, be held in City Council Chambers and televised by the local access TV channel (as long as that channel exists) unless a meeting at a special location (such as a City park for a special occasion) is authorized by a vote of three quarters of the members of Council.  (NOT just the "members in attendance"!)

If elected, I hope that someone will remind me of these promises AT THAT FIRST MEETING, since I am old and I sometimes forget things.  With such a reminder, I SHALL NOT FAIL YOU on these promises!!!   You have my word here.  It is on record.

Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2011 at 10:59am
Meanwhile not a peep from the Journal. Too busy talking about non-stories like Verdin expressing some interest in the Manchester.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2011 at 11:46am
Off topic about the Airport, but while on the subject of Verdin and the Manchester.......hey, his interest, HIS money. I would encourage him purchasing it and trying to make something out of an outdated, mega-rehab cost building, rather than seeing it torn down like everything else seems to be. Do your thing with YOUR money Verdin. Best of luck.

Problem is, the PAC wasn't HIS money and he, to date, has had moderate to little success in making PAC fly. If he and the city proceed with interest in the Manchester, gotta keep a close eye on the city sneaking city taxpayer money his way for some of the cost for his ideas. Might be starting a trend here and it doesn't look like it's that healthy for the city so far.

The PAC money and the money used for the 4 building purchase for Cincy State was the wrong use of taxpayer money. Really don't want to follow that with the Manchester, do we?
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2011 at 12:24pm

Upon hearing the city would entertain offers from outside developers; Verdin said his immediate thought was to contribute to a growing trend of tying together boutique hotels with apartment complexes and condominiums.  

Developers have been exploring the concept as it ensures flexibility in its offerings, he said, citing a building in Dallas, Texas, that is being built in a similar fashion.

Here is the link to the Dallas Hotel...http://www.magnoliahoteldallas.com/dallas.aspx

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2011 at 12:42pm
Dallas Texas is......

not Middletown, Ohio. This would never work. Condo downtown---why, what's there besides trouble? If anything, small section carved out for dorms for Cin State, but that's 5 years out from having anything remotely in the works of substance, and its a Proof of Concept at this stage. The city offered the cloak of non profit and lack of taxes associated with lease. Now State has balked on Manchester, no one in right mind is going to buy a building @ $100,000 that is taxed at $1 Mm +. This is just the city trying to throw something out there that might stick. Nothing will on Manchester. COCD simply cost prohibitive.

Mike (Presta), no need to commit on anything. Simply run that your ears are tuned to citizens, campaign, get organized, and you'll be on council. All others focus on the few who they think run Middletown, believe me---great void in someone who can think, can articulate, that won't be an embarrassment, that tunes in, not out, the citizen.

Think after reading about Mr. Hart. Mr. Bevis's comments somewhat self serving. His deal went south, but the comments about "crook" seemed to have merit if there is a felony record.

Continue on, Oz has legs, airport story does not. A one day news story.  
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2011 at 5:14pm
Mr. P I would agree on council not being involved on boards but until it's changed how about a little effort or just tell the group I'm not showing up. A one day news story maybe but for most it's what is between the lines, the same out of touch, arrogant,  protect my own self interest by hiring others so i can pass the buck when a problem shows up, can't make a decision city manager.  Slept well until the damn lighting and pretty much know the airport problem has been solved.  What isn't solved is a none interested population of 48,000 and knowing this same scenario will happen again due to the lack of holding our leader accountable.   
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2011 at 6:09pm
gs, the council in its current state, WILL NEVER, NEVER hold anyone in city leadership accountable. So the  airport deal taken care of, pats on back, and Mr. Bevis not resigning? Wow, the power of public emails! Derailment in Middletown came when AK settled down, but execs left, and then the housing meltdown. The east end is not the wonder all speculated, prayed for, and spoken with wild hyperbole. So the new diversion is downtown. And it is what it is---a masquerade, a diversion, as east went sourer, holding its own, but not the savior it was to be, nor Renaissance, and then the shift to downtown, just to keep the Indians thinking "progress" is being made. Keep State on hook for a year for 200 students, MUH enrolls >3,000, and throw in Verdin and PAC to keep the Manchester expense of $175Kk at bay (plus expenses). When Mr. H returns, he just protects Judy G., and is given a contract to be the "body guard." The Moormans are being appeased downtown, the smoke rises and then settles, hoping some life will appear in the city that is dying.    
TANGO View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2011 at 9:13pm
Does anybody know where Mr. hart is now ? LCI?  WCI? I would move slowly with this deal even thought it looks good now 
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 9:10am
He's be in a federal correctional facility would be my guess since it was a federal charge.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 6:59pm
Like everything else in this town it's the behind the curtain deals that make me ILL.  Who's on first?
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 9:44pm
Mr Bevis is wanting to sell his FBO business with the City because he is having financial difficulty
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 11:37pm

PAC taking all his business?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic