FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Airport

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Airport
    Posted: Aug 22 2011 at 5:28pm

The word on the street is that we have a major problem brewing at the airport. If what I have heard is true why did Councilman Dan Picard allow this to happen?

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2011 at 5:30pm
Vivian,

What is the major problem?

PACMANCool
jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2011 at 5:39pm
This is the problem I have been hinting at for a few days. I hope the MJ picks up on all the emails that were sent to council today. A lot of people are wanting to fight against decisions that the city manager have made that could cost the city hundreds of thousands of dollars and the loss of 6 jobs.  JagsterThumbs%20Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2011 at 5:56pm
If what I’m hearing is true Miss Judy needs to be fired today!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2011 at 6:48pm
I am unsure what this is all about, but about a year ago (if memory serves on the time) I, along with Paul Nagy, was given a tour of the airport.  Mr. Bevis and Mr. Wolf seemed to be doing a fine job.  Both were excited about airport operations and the sky diving businesses that were locating here, and they emphasized the economic benifit to the City those businesses were bringing.

It certainly appeared that the airport was headed for a "BRIGHTER FUTURE", and was on the way to becoming not only self-sustaining but also a moneymaker for our cash-starved city.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2011 at 7:19pm
I did some digging around (like I do) Cool.

Have a read at what Peter Parker has uncovered.

Dear Council Members,

It is with great sadness that I compose this email to you.  Over the past several months I have negotiated with Start Skydiving to purchase my FBO / Fuel Service business at the Middletown Regional Airport.  This was a good deal for me, but more importantly a great deal for the city. 

The skydiving group planned to use the FBO to save money on their purchase of approximately 55,000.00 gallons of fuel that they use for their operation.  They then planned to rent 5000 square feet of space at the airport @ $20,000.00 per year.  They then were going to take over the Gas and Electric payments for that space which is approximately $10,000.00 per year (the city is currently footing the bill for this).  They then planned to take over the lease for the fuel trucks that the city now pays to the tune of $10,000.00 per year.  Total real money to the airport/city is $40,000.00 per year. 

They planned to take the winter to remodel the entire space at their cost.  They planned to make and observation deck with an attached restaurant on the second floor.  They need all of this because the city did not honor the lease they had signed for their current building 2 years ago.  They need the space to handle the load of 1000 to 2000 visitors they bring to the airport from many different states every weekend.  We were on a tight time table because they wanted to be in the facility in time for their Labor Day “Boogie”.  If you remember last year’s boogie they brought in thousands of people to the city, put on a spectacular fireworks show that was free to the public.  Those people filled the local hotels, restaurants, etc. 

After I negotiated the deal with Startskydiving, I called Judy to let her know what was happening.  She said she did not want the deal to go through because John Hart, the owner of Startskydiving, was a crook and she would not deal with crooks.  We tried in vain to work out a solution.  Judy hired Greg Pratt, a local attorney, to study the situation.  After much negotiation the dead line for Start’s timetable came and went.  Sadly, Startskydiving has removed their offer to purchase the FBO leaving the city without any income and leaving me in the lurch.  They have now decided that they will no longer do business with any company in the city that would put money into the coffers of the City of Middletown.  They have arranged to purchase their fuel at Wright Brothers Airport in Springboro. 

This now means a loss of revenue of $250,000.00 per year to my company, thousands of dollars to the city, etc.  Because of this I have informed Judy that I plan to tender my resignation as both airport manager and FBO owner this week.  I cannot afford to do business in a town that treats businesses in such a deplorable way.  I have invested approximately $300,000.00 in this airport, I have worked untold hours promoting, maintaining and being a good steward for the city and the airport.  It is obvious to me that the saying that “Middletown is open for business” is just untrue.  I conduct every aspect of my life in an honorable way.  I try to do the right thing.  When I sign a contract I fulfill my obligations.  Working for a city that does not honor or care about fulfilling their obligation rubs me the wrong way and makes it appear that I agree with this way of thinking.  I do not. 

I would love to come up with a solution.  I am not sure that one can now be reached.  I felt that you as council members should know about the “goings on” around here.I am attaching the last two emails that I received from John Hart.  I believe they are self explanatory.  Please see them below.

Sincerely,

Rich Bevis
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2011 at 7:21pm

Oh theres more.

Rich

I mentioned that I wanted to have this deal done by the middle of the month and that time has passed.  It is too late for us to make the improvements before the boogie so we will wing it out of our hanger.  I think highly of you and Lisa as you are the only honorable people we have worked with here in Middletown.  I have spent the past several days thinking about how we as a tenant have been treated by the City with our lease and have come to the conclussion that it will always be a fight with this City Manager.  There is no honor within this administration and I don't have the energy or time to spend fighting the City over something that they can only benefit from.

As such, I have instructed Diana to rescind our offer to purchase the FBO and assets of B&B Aero.  We will focus on building our business and taking care of our customers.  I have no desire to put another nickel into the city coffers or help with free demos.  I am instructing Gene to purchase all fuel from Dayton Wright Brothers after we consume the last of our fuel, it will be a pain for us operationally, but like everything else, we will make it work. 

This City has no idea the love we brought with us to do good things for this community.  I wish the situation were different Rich.  I am a good man that made a decision I don't regret.  I treat people with dignity, respect and honor and only ask for the same in return.

Your friend always,

John

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2011 at 7:22pm
Well it sounds bad to me....

Rich

I have to give this a great deal of thought and prayer Rich.  Judy has no honor and purchasing the FBO creates a whole new area of headaches for Start Skydiving.  Judy has made it known how she feels about our business being in "Her" town.  Start Skydiving came to Middletown with open arms and embraced the community.  We have written and verbal commitments that both parties made, the verbal from Middletown were that they would move the fencing, put in a parking lot on the south side of the FBO hanger and a sidewalk on the east side.  The fencing was moved and then things stopped.  We agreed to spend $50,000 and buildout the space for Harvey and we have done that.  You agreed to a .50 flow fee and we agreed to purchasing at least 40,000 gallons of Jet A and both have been accomplished.  The city agreed to build the addition to our hanger at a cost not to exceed $300,000 and we agreed to invest $150,000 in the existing facilty.  We have done that and the city has not.  We are also supposed to be receiving a $1000.00 per month reduction in rent for these improvements and it has not occurred.  Judy's kamikaze management of our relationship has cost us over $500,000 in lost revenue and she could care less.  Some of my concerns that must be addressed are:

1. What is the Economic Development Plan for the Middletown Regional Airport?  Does it exist?  How is it being funded?  Who is overseeing this project and ensuring that the established benchmarks are being met?

2. She states that corporate and private aviation are the primary development goals of the airport?  Where do we fit in?  What part of economic development does corporate and private aviation offer other than hanger rent and fuel sales?  How many people visit the City of Middletown and spend dollars with city businesses that fly in, purchase fuel and leave?

3. What part of economic development am I missing when we bring 1500 and 2000 people per week to the airport that drive through the City, dine at restaurants, drink at their bars, purchase gasoline or shop at local establishments.

4. She wants a letter of assurance stating we understand that we are not a primary part of the overall economic development goals for the airports.  Why would we sign a document like this?  Why would we publically acknowledge that we bring little value to the Middletown Regional Airport?  Why would I invest in the FBO if my goals were not to increase aircraft traffic?  What assurance do I have that the city will not encumber the FBO business after I make this huge investment?

5. She violates the terms of our lease costing us over $500,000 in lost sales to date, then we are told the deal will have a better chance of being approved if we renegotiate our existing lease.  Sounds like government extortion! How can we trust the City of Middletown to honor an agreement we execute on the FBO?

6.  The City buys a pile of bricks with the old Manchester Inn that should be leveled and they can't follow through with building our hanger.  How can they justify spending that money on a trash heap over our hanger?

7.  They destroy the roadway in front of our hanger and could care less about making proper repairs.  Why?

We want to build an 18" deep swoop pond so we can host the US Canopy Piloting National Championships "at our cost" and get shot down.  This event would fill hotels for a week.  We lost our bid for the US National Skydiving Championships this spring because we don't have the facilities to support it.  Our agreement is the reason we walked away from a very nice facility in Warren County. 

I have asked myself, do I want these headaches?  My answer is no.  I want assurances from City Council that we will stop being harassed. I want to know that the City Council values what Start Skydiving is doing for Middletown.  I want to deal with professionals that give a damn about creating opportunities for this city.

I have made the decision to build out our hanger this winter, so we won't need the space in the other hanger.  I can't afford to trust the City of Middletown and continue to lose money waiting for someone to be honorable.

I would like answers to my questions before I even consider moving forward with discussions.

Thanks for hearing me out Rich.

John
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2011 at 8:27pm
Ever wonder why everything meaningful around here ends up with confrontation, personal denigration and excessive drama?
We all all hillbillies, plain 'n simple
We don't need no education--just a state id and a mailbox
Fully capable of destroying ourselves
I thought that we elected people to pretty much take care of these things?
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2011 at 10:37pm
If we loose Mr. Bevis this council MUST take action, how much is Picard involved?  GD if they don't want to be liason's then change the make up of a council persons job description.  We hear from two of the council that we have to many boards and they don't  need any help, REALLY.  Maybe instead of only $50,000 to our downtown czar we should bump it up to $100,000 to help find NEW business since we maybe loosing a couple.  And how does the Chamber feel about how this APPEARS?   P.R. is the basic fundamental of keeping the citizens happy, she can't even do that.  Like Mr. Pratt trust him 100%, but when did he start handling this deal?  What does she do other then not make decisions.  I prefer the term "Bryers" thank you.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2011 at 6:27am
If all true, council, what are you waiting for......fire the woman. She is and has been bad for this city since she came here from Pickerington. And for God's sake, don't stick Huelsman in there. He's just as bad.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2011 at 9:26am
I am in shock as I read this. Rich Bevis based on the evidence ... I can't believe this! I'm really mad about this. Judy has disgraced our city. I cannot believe that she would act in such an inappropriate way.

I don't know if I can reserve judgement till I hear her side of the story. As a business man with two businesses located within the city of Middletown, I am sorely disappointed and mad about this.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2011 at 9:37am
John
They sure did walk us down the garden path with this pack of lies.
They stood before us at council meetings and told us that everything at the airport was just duckie and the contracts had been signed…Really?
We should have known better because everything that the City touches turns into a big pile of do-do for the tax payers.

middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2011 at 10:05am
I wish we could hear what kind of actual objective reasoning is for the city not wanting to do this deal with Start Skydiving. They seem to be one of the few bright points in the economic development of this city over the last couple of years.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2011 at 12:13pm
Are SPINELESS ONES dont have to give the good people of Middletucky a reason for anything they do.Especially when it comes from the taxpayers money.Miss Judys head needs to roll.She called some one a crook,Hello Pot meet Kettle.Big%20smile
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2011 at 1:47pm
I also found this as I searched:

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:36:32 -0400

To: *All Council Members<AllCouncilMembers@cityofmiddletown.org>

Subject: FW: Airport and Startskydiving.com Problem

Am I missing something here? I thought we directed Judy to finalize this contract months ago and move on. Now we are faced with the potential to lose thousands and be left with no airport manager and no Fastracks and possibly law suits for breech of contract. This is one area I thought we were moving in the right direction and seeing positive results.

Wots View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2011 at 1:54pm
Censored
Wots
Liberalism: Moochers Electing Looters to Steal from Producers.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2011 at 2:46pm
THIS is the reaction from Becker? How meek and docile. Where is the outrage? I would hope the councilmembers are working on an investigation now, and if Gilleland's actions prove to be accurate as reported in these E-Mails, are making preparations to fire her. She has done enough damage to this city and her services should no longer be needed. Hire a real professional, with a proven track record, AFTER talking to, not the city government people, but the CITIZENS about that track record. The people will tell us whether the new candidate is worthy of hiring or not. JMO
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2011 at 5:41pm
Didn't Lenny get a similar screw job on the east end from Judy. Or did they finally fix those issues?
Hear that loud noice??  That's the street sweeper sweeping this under the rug at city hall.

PACMANCool
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2011 at 9:20pm
It is stated Mr. Hart is a "crook" as spoken by Ms. G. Does he have a criminal record, if not, is there lurking defamation of character? Hmmm....Mr. Blevins alleges the loss of $250,000 associated with the loss of sale. City liability? Mr. Becker thinks so. LL will settle for how much? Any reason JG has Greg Pratt in overseeing city legal initiatives/ concerns from airport to Cincinnati State? Strange. No sweep by cleaner, only by confidentiality agreement. Then silence.   
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2011 at 2:46pm
Perhaps Ms. Gilleland hasn't heard about the problems at the airport yet.  Consider this from this week's City Manager's newsletter:

Airport ActivitiesThe “Work Stinks Boogie” will be held at the City of Middletown Airport on Wednesday August 31, 2011 to Monday September 5, 2011.  On Saturday, September 3rd, Start Skydiving will host live entertainment, a Team Fastrax pyrotechnic aerial display, and a fireworks show you will never forget.  Helicopter and Hot Air balloon rides are also available.  This is the premier event of the skydiving year and parachutes will be popping all weekend!  Stop by and see the excitement at our airport!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2011 at 2:58pm
Surely, Judy not speak with a Forked-Tongue!  Confused
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2011 at 3:26pm
OK, when were the E-mails sent incriminating the city manager? And when was the City Manager's Report written? Who's bulls------ who here Gilleland? Adding insult to injury, her report eludes to no problems at all at the airport. What da ....?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2011 at 4:44pm
Bill Becker's Email is dated August 22, 2011 - The City Manager Report was also written on August 22, 2011

The bulge under the carpet at City Hall may be getting bigger and a bigger street sweeper may be needed.

PACMANCool
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2011 at 4:57pm
So where is Rich Bevis now?
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic