FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Journal Bias?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Journal Bias?
    Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 7:04am
Today's Journal...

Mayor, spots on council to have competition

By Andy Sedlak, Staff Writer
10:00 PM Thursday, August 25, 2011
MIDDLETOWN — Voters will have several choices when they vote for the city’s next mayor and three council seats.

Mayor Larry Mulligan will be challenged by Paul Nagy, while five candidates will campaign for two at-large seats. Two others — Mike Presta and Ann Mort — will seek to represent Middletown’s First Ward. Thomas Allen, the seat’s appointee following the death of Councilman Jim Armbruster, announced Aug. 16 he would not seek re-election.

Aside from Mulligan, councilman Daniel Picard and councilwoman Anita Scott Jones are seeking re-election. They’ll face Eddie Todd Moore, Nick Kidd and Joseph Mulligan for at-large seats.

The deadline for candidates to file their petitions was 4 p.m. Thursday at the Butler County Board of Elections.

Mort, who served on the Middletown school board in the mid-1980s, said she’s aware of the time commitment that accompanies the post. She said the issues facing Middletown — dwindling funds and a lack of jobs — are the same most cities are facing.

“Henry Ford had a statement: ‘Don’t find fault, find a remedy,” she said. “I think if more of us worked toward finding a remedy we could get things done a little faster.”

Picard, the Fourth Ward’s representative for the past year and a half, said he is seeking an at-large seat to ensure his presence for the next four years. In the 2013 election, there will only be two seats up for re-election. This is because the city’s charter had been changed to reduce council from seven to five seats, and to do away with voting by ward.

“I feel good about my impact and I want to make sure I’m around another four years,” he said.

Jessica Whitt, a 24-year-old Middletown resident, said job creation will be the most critical issue candidates will face while campaigning.

“If there are no jobs, there is no Middletown,” she said.

THIS ARTICLE BY ANDY SEDLAK BRIEFLY MENTIONS MR. NAGY, MR. PRESTA AND A FEW OTHERS, BUT SEDLAK MAKES SURE WE GET A LITTLE LARGER DOSE OF MORT AND PICARD. IS IT ME OR IS IT OBVIOUS THAT THIS DAM NEWSPAPER IS THE WHIPPING POST FOR A SELECT FEW IN THIS BURG WHO ARE APPARENTLY TELLING THE PAPER WHAT TO PRINT? IS THIS NEWSPAPER THAT INTIMIDATED BY THESE MMF PUPPETS LIKE MULLIGAN AND MORT? WHY THE BLURB FROM MORT AND PICARD AND, LIKE ALWAYS, NOTHING OFFERED FROM THE FOLKS WHO ARE "OUTSIDE THE LOOP". WHERE'S THE EQUAL TIME JOURNAL?
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 8:50am
The most likely case is that the expert investigative journalists at that award winning newspaper could not figure out how to contact Mr. Nagy or Mr. Presta.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 9:35am
The Urinal simply knows who is the most willing moyhpieces with commentary and opine. Ann Mort has not met a microphone she did like, you be the judge on Mr. Picard. Ms. Mort's commentary was actually hurtful to a thinking mind in the sense she said Middletown is going exactly the same as every city in the country? Oh really? West Chester is suffering the same impact, Indian Hills, Oakwood, etc. If only we all would pull together, and just adopt the 300 people who run Middletown's attitude, we'd all get along fine, and the remedy would be found. The same woman who said washing the streets and woodwork in town would cure the ills from Forbes rating Middletown was one of the fastest dying cities...how did that campaign go? As they say in Texas, "all hat, no cattle."
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 11:22am
Perhaps Mr. Sedlak will be compelled to cover the other candidates in an upcoming article. I sure hope he does.

When I saw the title I was thinking about this bias:
Kasich appoints mostly males

I don't remember any coverage of Strickland's white man government. And since when is it a bad thing to hire white men? I'm so sick of being singled out as if there is something wrong about being a white male.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 12:19pm
Spot on Mr. Beagle. I am certain you know the Managing Editor or Publisher at the Atlanta Constitution is black, a flaming liberal, whom has national notority for her bias, one sided inaccuracies which portray constantly, the GOP, whites, and men, in a negative fashion, which are never supported by a grain of evidence nor fact. Her goal and editorial theme is to make the Atlanta Constitution and the Cox publications akin to the Huffington Post and New York Times, with lower standards and journalistic ethics. As for the Journal, they simply grab the first mouth that comes to mind.  
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 3:09pm
Yea and when we complain they throw in a George Will editorial to appease us.

That's ok, this site has its own set of counter biases. lol
John Beagle

Middletown USA

ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 6:33pm
Don't change a thing Mr. Beagle.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 11:24pm
Looking at the Middletown Urnal tonight and was wondering,Dont they have spell Check?LOLLOL

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2011 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Richard Saunders Richard Saunders wrote:

The most likely case is that the expert investigative journalists at that award winning newspaper could not figure out how to contact Mr. Nagy or Mr. Presta.
I can only speak for myself:

I am not hard to find, although my number is NOT listed in the Kettering phone book if that is the only place they looked. LOL LOL LOL 

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2011 at 1:33am

Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

...The same woman who said washing the streets and woodwork in town would cure the ills from Forbes rating Middletown was one of the fastest dying cities...how did that campaign go? ...
Acclaro,

Let’s be fair to my opponent. According to the Middletown Journal, this is what she said:

"At the end of 2009, we want to be able to invite the Forbes folks to town to have a look and see what determined people can do," Mort said. December 19, 2008, Middletown Journal

The types of projects planned, according to the article:

“Families or businesses might begin with property upgrades such as landscaping or painting, Mort said.”

“Other projects could include adopting a neighborhood block and cleaning it up for an entire year.”

I have never heard whether or not Forbes returned at the “end of 2009” for “another look”, or if they did, what they had to say, but I am not on the “A” list to receive such information from City Hall.  Perhaps someone else can tell us???

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2011 at 9:55am
How about starting with city owned property first so the rest of us can see the model she would have us look like.  Seen city hall lately.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2011 at 10:37am
More anti Kasich Journal Bias in today's paper.

Title Reads, "Kasich sells 1 prison, not 5"

The journal and their liberal editors want to make it look like Kasich failed to sell 4. Fact is Kasich negotiated a better deal AND earned the state nearly $73 Million in cash.

Title should read, "Kasich Sells Prison for $73 Million"
That's a better, more factual and less misleading title in my book.

END - FRIDAY RANT
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic