FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Final council candidates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Final council candidates
    Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 9:18pm

According to the Butler County Board of Elections website, this appears to be the final, certified slate of candidates for the Middletown City Council in the November 8th election:

MIDDLETOWN CITY MAYOR             

Lawrence P. Mulligan, Jr.       218 S. Main St.

Paul Nagy                                  1325 Orchard St.

MIDDLETOWN CITY COUNCIL AT LARGE - (2 to be elected)

Eddie Todd Moore     2469 Wilbraham Rd.

Daniel J. Picard           2804 Sherman Ave.

Anita Scott Jones       4806 Central Ave.

Nick R. Kidd                3400 Tytus Ave.

Joseph H. Mulligan    501 Ross St.

MIDDLETOWN CITY COUNCIL- Ward 1 - Unexpired term ending 12/31/13                      

Mike Presta    4312 Pennswood Dr.

Ann Mort        4935 Riverview Ave.

Notes: 

1.      The order of offices and candidates is exactly as copied from the Board of Elections spreadsheet. 

2.      All information shown is PUBLIC INFORMATION on file at the Board of Elections office and available from their website.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2011 at 6:32am
Any forums planned so that we can hear from some of these people before November 8th? Would like to hear what Eddie Todd Moore and Joseph H. Mulligan have to say as they are newcomers to the political scene. Are these people MMF sponsored or are they independent operators?
Murdock View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2011 at 8:59pm
Another weak field....pathetic!! 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2011 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Murdock Murdock wrote:

Another weak field....pathetic!! 
The field was open to all Middletown residents (except for the unexpired Ward One seat, which was open only to residents of the First Ward).  You should've joined in to "strengthen" the field.  I can't speak for all, but I would have been glad to have you in the race.  Big%20smile
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2011 at 7:28am
Classic response from those who say they care.
DuaneGordon View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DuaneGordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2011 at 12:11pm
VietVet, as incoming president of the Kiwanis Club of Middletown next month, I'm starting work to organize a candidates' forum, likely that our Club would host in partnership with one or two other local organizations and that would air live on TV Middletown if it all comes together as we're thinking. We're just in the early planning stages right now, but hopefully in the next couple of weeks we'll have the details nailed down and be able to start inviting all of this year's candidates to participate.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2011 at 12:34pm
Thank you Mr. Gordon for the info. and for your efforts in organizing a forum for the benefit of all voters. I hope that other organizations will take a turn at sponsorship from your lead. Always interesting to me to hear from any potential candidates and what they have planned for our town if elected.

It has been my experience that most all of the forums are set up with pre-screened/pre-determined questions that the candidates field. Questions were either used or thrown out using a select group of opinionated people, eliminating some of the tougher questions from being asked. Someday, I would like to see a pilot forum set up where the moderator would field questions from the audience, unannounced, unscreened and point blank in nature. Would allow us to see how the candidates react to on-the-spot situations that may or may not be their interest nor may they be knowledgeable on the topic and how they react in pressure-to-respond situations.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DuaneGordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2011 at 2:23pm
What I envision is a public solicitation (here, in the paper, on TV Middletown)  for people to send in questions in advance that would be asked on their behalf for those who cannot attend in addition to allowing the audience members to submit their questions upon arrival at the forum and then be called up to the microphone to personally ask their questions of the candidates. We don't have the mechanics of it worked out exactly yet -- since we're still in the early planning stages, and TV Middletown and any other partner organizations would have to agree to the rules we determine. In addition, enough candidates would need to agree to the rules to participate and make the forum worthwhile. But I do want to provide as much of an opportunity for real people to get their questions asked as we can.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2011 at 3:54pm
Mr Gordon,

Why would the people who attend these events in person have to submit their questions ahead of time rather than just their name and the fact they would like to ask a question?

The only reason I can think for this is to elimnate duplicate questions.

I would just instruct people to have a backup question in case their original question gets asked ahead of them.

PACMANCool
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DuaneGordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2011 at 6:09pm
The moderator is there to keep the discussion focused and as clear as possible, and doing so requires a degree of subjective judgement  -- which is why it is always best to have an objective, non-partisan, non-political organization such as Kiwanis Club in charge. As an example of the use of this judgement, if a person wants to ask a confusing, seven-part question, then it would be irresponsible of the moderator to allow that person up to ask the question, take up a lot of time, and confuse everyone there. Along those same lines, some people just want to get up and make a speech rather than ask a question, which is not the purpose of the forum, so if there's not a question included, you wouldn't call that person up. Also, having a person commit in writing to asking a specific question helps keep that specific person focused on his or her subject at hand instead of rambling on and on, which wastes air time. It also weeds out inappropriate individuals -- remember, this will be on live television, so if, for example, someone used profanity in their written question, such an individual would not be invited to ask their question in person on the air.

Duplication is another prime example. If a person e-mails question A, but someone in the audience intends to ask almost the same question, it makes more sense to allow the person who is there in person to get up and do it in recognition of that individual's time to come to the event in person and eliminate it from the submitted questions that the moderator has. And because of the live television factor, it's best to strike it from the list before going on air to help prevent the moderator from possibly stumbling over that duplicate question and having to make adjustments on the fly. Or if five people want to ask the same question, plan to call up the one who wrote it out in the most articulate and clear manner to ask it.

You also would hope to group questions together that are related so that you get several questions in one area (maybe economic development or budgeting or public safety) and then move to several questions that focus on a different area rather than just jumping around randomly depending on who stands up first to come to the lecturn.

The easiest way to address all of those issues is to have the questions submitted prior to going on air so they may be sorted and placed in an order that makes the most sense to move things along as smoothly as possible.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DuaneGordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2011 at 6:20pm
Here's what the League of Women Voters (which organized the presidential debates of the 1970s and 1980s) says about taking audience questions in a candidate debate or forum in its recommendations: "Usually, there needs to be some control over the questions. Audience questions may be unclear, hostile and bullying, or attempt to draw attention to the questioner. Although asking audience members to submit questions in advance may sacrifice some spontaneity, it allows the sponsor to screen for repetition, clarity and appropriateness and to make sure each candidate gets approximately the same number of questions."
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2011 at 8:14pm
Key word to focus on " Moderator"  He or she who TAKES control and MOVES on when a question has been answered.  STICKING to time limits and saying to bad Times up!  Sumbit questions first?  Can you do that before a council meeting other than that night before citizen comments.  Seeing the answers before the TEST. Not feeling the true meaning of OWNERSHIP to your beliefs.
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2011 at 11:48am
How many petition signatures and what kind of Financial Backing do you have to have to run for City Council?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2011 at 1:42am
Originally posted by da120757 da120757 wrote:

How many petition signatures and what kind of Financial Backing do you have to have to run for City Council?
Ms. Da 120757,
One needs the valid signatures of fifty registered voters who reside in the City of Middletown (or in a particular Ward, in the case of a Ward seat).  It is recommended that one gather about 75 signatures, as the Board of Elections will check each one and it is not unusual for some to be disallowed.  (Perhaps the person has moved and has not re-registered, or whatever.)

What kind of "financial backing" is required is debatable.  Some say that a candidate must spend several thousand dollars to wage a successful campaign.  Some spend over ten thousand.  I plan to spend less than one thousand .. way less than one thousand.  Of course, I may not be successful.  That remains to be seen.

Unfortunately, it is too late for you to enter the race this year.  The deadline has passed for filing your petitions.  Your next opportunity will be for the election in November of 2013.  Give it a try!!!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2011 at 3:24am
 NOTE:  No animals were harmed in the production of this art!!!  (The girls' dog, Ringo, likes Mike, too!)
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2011 at 1:21pm
haha yea was not planning on entering the race was just asking the questions.  Good Luck in the race Mike You never know!!!!

Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2011 at 5:50pm

I can see the way that the questioning for this candidate forum is shaping up.

Mr. Gordon:  The first question is for Ms. Mort. Ms. Mort, do you think that we have too many Section 8 voucher holders residing in Middletown?

Ms. Mort:  Yes.

Mr. Gordon:  Mr. Mulligan, how many Section 8 voucher holders currently reside in Middletown?

Mr. Mulligan: One thousand, six hundred and sixty-two.

Mr. Gordon: Okay, Presta.  Name them!

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2011 at 7:00pm
As an important measure of fairness, it is crucial to have a strong group choosing from the submitted ?s to be asked.

Since I have no financial commitment or endorsement to any candidate, I would like to be considered for that position. I am a lifelong resident and business owner who has lived and operated in every corner of this city.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2011 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by Richard Saunders Richard Saunders wrote:

Mr. Gordon:  The first question is for Ms. Mort. Ms. Mort, do you think that we have too many Section 8 voucher holders residing in Middletown?

Ms. Mort:  Yes.

Mr. Gordon:  Mr. Mulligan, how many Section 8 voucher holders currently reside in Middletown?

Mr. Mulligan: One thousand, six hundred and sixty-two.

Mr. Gordon: Okay, Presta.  Name them!

Actually, I know the correct answer to that question, should it be asked:
Mr. Gordon, I'm afraid that there are some privacy concerns that prevent me from giving you the NAMES of the Section 8 residents, but the addresses and owner's name of each Section 8 rental is a matter of public record and available upon request from City Hall.  I last requested that information a couple of years ago, so I'm afraid that the information that I have may be out of date. 

Big%20smile
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2011 at 6:20am

Mr. Gordon: The first question is for Ms. Mort. Ms. Mort, do you think that we have too many Section 8 voucher holders residing in Middletown?

Ms. Mort: Yes.

I'm not so sure Ms. Mort would answer "yes" to that question as "too many voucher holders in Middletown could possibly paint the town in a negative light and we all know she just delivers "THE GOOD NEWS". Plus, she would never answer that question with a yes as that would give a black eye to the slum lord friends of the city leaders. They would never direct her to say that. Nothing negative from Ms. Mort. She is a member of the rose-colored glasses group.

Mr. Gordon: Mr. Mulligan, how many Section 8 voucher holders currently reside in Middletown?

Mr. Mulligan: One thousand, six hundred and sixty-two

Ms. Mort would disagree with Lawrence and attempt to alter those numbers using her "estimated event counting methods" she is so well-known for.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic