FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A New Approach

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A New Approach
    Posted: Sep 02 2011 at 7:09am
From the Journal..

Principal seeks to create a supportive, positive climate
Carmela Cotter urging teachers to take ownership of school

MIDDLETOWN — Middletown High School’s new principal, staff and students are all working together to create a stronger sense of family at the school on Breiel Boulevard

“It’s four years of not just academic development, but also of social and emotional development, and a chance to grow up in a really supportive and positive family-like environment

Her goal for the school is “to make this the most positive climate that we possibly can. Make it possible for the teachers to do their best possible work and the students to feel relaxed and comfortable, and to be able to excel

IF THIS WAS NEEDED, I'M WONDERING WHAT KIND OF SHAPE THE HIGH SCHOOL WAS IN WHEN NEWELL WAS RUNNING THE SHOW???? WAS THERE AN ENVIRONMENT OF "FAMILY" UNDER NEWELL'S DIRECTION?

One example of positive behavior supports is demonstrating respect for one another, Cotter said.

“One of the things that we’re doing right now that the entire building is practicing is directing kids, say for instance, to get to class on time in a very constructive manner instead of hollering and yelling. What we are saying to them is, ‘You need to get to class on time because we have important work to do everyday,’ ” she said.

UMMM.....DON'T KNOW THAT THAT WILL WORK ON HARD-LINERS MS. COTTER. HARD-LINERS USUALLY DON'T PAY TOO MUCH ATTENTION TO THE KINDER/GENTLER WAY OF APPROACH, DO THEY? IT MAY BE "IMPORTANT WORK" TO YOU, BUT DOUBT THE REAL PROBLEM KIDS CARE THAT MUCH ABOUT THE WORK AND WILL DISMISS THE MESSAGE YOU ARE TRYING TO SEND.

She will do an outstanding job of working with both internal and external groups to build on our strengths and address our challenges. I’m excited and very fortunate to have her on the team.”

LET'S HOPE SO MR. RASMUSSEN. TIME WILL TELL. RESULTS WILL TELL IF SHE WILL BE EFFECTIVE. AT THIS POINT, WE CAN DO NOTHING BUT WAIT AND SEE IN A YEAR OR TWO. IF THE DISCIPLINE PROBLEMS CONTINUE. IF THE GRADES AND PERCENT PASSING REMAINS LOW, IF THE SCHOOLS DON'T MOVE TO EFFECTIVE, IF THE INDICATORS REMAIN STUCK ON 10 OF 26 FOR TWO OR MORE YEARS FROM NOW, PROBABLY NEED TO GO BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD AGAIN ON A NEW APPROACH.
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2011 at 7:20am
I see a few kids walking around the neighborhood that are from the high school during the day  but thurs. there were at least 20 walking and standing around for a good bit of the morning. If this happens today I'll be calling to round them back up.
squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2011 at 8:06am
on the face of it, simply trying to create a positive atmosphere at Midd High School would seem trite but I think it goes to the heart of the issue - compulsory education creates a situation where a lot of the people in school don't want to be there.

In many respects, I don't blame them.

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2011 at 9:32am
This sounds like more coddling.  This approach is part of the discipline problem there for years --- more excuses, more "time outs", more fudged discpline numbers from the Superintendent, zero expulsions...all while more students fleeing the district for other districts?Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic