FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middfest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middfest
    Posted: Oct 05 2011 at 4:32pm
Pitiful.

Discuss.
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2011 at 5:07pm
Stop spending taxpayers money on this event, if it can't support itself end it!
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2011 at 6:15am
This fail should have been stopped 10 years ago! It is just a pet project of an old lady.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2011 at 6:47am
But......but.....like the arts, the intent is to bring culture and diversity to our "city of many incomes"(which is in great contrast to our Section 8 ghetto program) Does this event generate revenue for the city? If so, is it enough to make the endeavor worthwhile? If only break even, why bother?

They hang onto this event just like they hang on to the golf course, which is a money-losing venture each year. Apparently the criteria for something staying or going in this town is based on who wants it around, not if it is viable, worthwhile and makes a little money. Guess someone influential is connected with this and wants to keep it.....so....like the flu, we see it come around each year.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2011 at 1:50pm
A good Appalachian Festival would be a great idea.Appalachian is a Country isn't it ?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2011 at 7:00am

OK OK M29--that was one poorly targeted cheap shot coming from your way.towards Mrs.Ritan.
]

Virginia Ritan has busted her rear for DECADES to make Midfest as important and as EDUCATIONAL as possible.She has done it her way(like it or not), and has brought many years of international good will to what has become of our once fine city. Like everything else here, Midfest has suffered from our demographic migration of the wealthy/cultured out, and the Section 8 + low-income poorly educated/raised in to town.

We were far better off when Midfest occupied the east end 4th floor of our city building.

[/V]

Maybe Midfest should be moved to the east end for a few years.
Maybe inside the Towne Mall and in the parking lot.
Towne Mall management may well give Midfest an office and storage space given their current state of occupancy.
Probably would have a lot more appeal within the area, and would be a lot closer to the only lodging available for our visitors.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2011 at 10:40am
Spiderjohn says.....

"Vet--Mrs.Ritan doesn't have one f'ng thing to do with the golf course or any other ridiculous decision made by our city govt"

Wow.....I never mentioned the lady's name spider nor said she had anything to do with the golf course. I made a comment about the EVENT know as Midfest and the LOCATION know as the Weatherwax golf course. No name dropping......just asking if Midfest made any money, unlike the golf course, alluding to the fact the city screws up everything it touches, usually in a money-losing venture. This is not an onslaught on Ritan. Don't even know the lady.

"How many of you will actually go downtown and BUY something at the Pendleton"

Probably not too many here. Been said a long time ago when we first started discussing the Pendleton that this is a blue collar NASCAR, "Budweiser" town, not a wine and cheese, "refined" crowd. If it is those people that they want to entice, they will have to come from out of town for the most part.

"Like everything else here, Midfest has suffered from our demographic migration of the wealthy/cultured out, and the Section 8 + low-income poorly educated/raised in to town".

"The city wants to sing the praises to James Verdin, yet pile it on and discredit Virginia Ritan"

I would think that by your comment that the city ran all the wealthy/cultured people out and brought the Section 8/low income/poorly educated people in, that not only Verdin and his artzy idea has suffered, Ms. Ritan and her Midfest educational program has suffered, but the community as a whole has suffered by their stupidity. The city leaders, by their ignorance, have essentially wiped out any opportunites we may have had on attracting quality people to this community, be it to live or to visit.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2011 at 11:44am
Thank you Vet--your last paragraph covered my message very well.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2011 at 12:53pm
I haven't read the figures for Midfest, but I am one of many, that hasn't been there in over 15 years. The reason is that like many individuals on a gorgeous weekend, I would prefer watching 10 HD collge football games, than grabbing something to eat downtown and being exposed to a country's culture which has little meaning or import to me personally.

When it began, you did not grab the remote and dial in the Discobery Channel or National Geographic. It had a place and purpose. Money has nothing to do with visitation. Middletown still has an abundance of wealthy residents, we all know that. Section 8 had no impact upon whether people attend or not to attend. Honestly, I think this Section 8 deal gets far too much blame. Yes, it seems to have a negative impact on schools, and performance, yes, a strong middle-class once drove Middletown, and doesn't anymore, but frankly, who really cared about Peru and that venue, or Chile, or most countries.

Further, the weather was awful both Saturday and Sunday. Nice to not have to fire up the furnace, but getting out in 50 degree weather, with rain and wind, to see a few relics just isn't worth it. Seems to me the event should combine some other events for kids, music, or focus around a concept such as pork (Eaton), corn, pumpkin, or maybe apples, but with no offense to the wonderful concept years ago, in today's climate, I can surf on the net in 15 minutes and know as much about Peru than spending rwo days camped outside Donham. Times change, technology provides access to country data, that seeing people really makes little impact. We'd just as soon watch Rick Stevens travel Europe than run down there to have a beer and sausage if the annual focus was Germany.

Don't blame the person, don't blame event organization, blame the internet, blame cable, DirectTV, and weather which was more to the liking to a golfer playing St. Andrews, than smelling a hot chicken spiced dish.

Yep, sj is right, east end move might help, capture some people driving off highway, or staying out at the hotels. Still plenty of money and people to attend---the real question is---why? Just as easy to pull up Peru, others, on the web. Great concept, but mother time has eroded its impact with technology making it a ho hum. But 8 has/had no to limited impact.      
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2011 at 3:13pm
Excellent points , vet and acclaro
Maybe I got up on the wrong side of the bed and veered off-course on this one.
Just didn't like the shot at a nice lady who doesn't get the credit deserved for trying to promote something cultural inthis community, and without a payday involved.
Kelly View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2011 at 4:14pm

A few FYI's:

The Ritans spend 20K+ of their own money toward Middfest each year (she doesn't announce that)

For Kids: 3 days of Youth Park with clowns, magicians, music, games, activities. Super Saturday 9a-12p for local girl scouts, boy scouts, church groups. Round Robins for the 3 hours.

Re: Internet for learning about other's culture: Reading websites versus touching, hearing, smelling, tasting, and seeing samples of other cultures...no contest in my mind.

Granted, numbers have gone down and interest as well...You will get out of Middfest (or any other thing) whatever you want to put into it.

France next year!!  :)

Happy Weekend!

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2011 at 4:29pm
sj, I am sorry, I missed the part of the pile on, as I assume the reference was the Journal or somewhere, that Midfest was not a success. I totally agree, no need to blame someone passionate about the concept of exposing others to culture over many decades. Also totally agree with the praises of Mr. Verdin, and in contradiction of any blame game on Ms. Ritan (whom I do not know).

The cheerleading on PAC, State, all that, is simply the fact there is nothing downtown otherwise. Same at east end. The hospital is a hospital, the Y is a Y, and Fenwick a little better positioned to recruit more football players and students. A once a month showing of art does not drive people nor $$$ traffic, but the goal is all about regionalization.

Unfortunately, it is at the expense of city leaders showing Middletown in a most negative vein; "it worked in Ashland, Kentucky", 'it helped Over the Rhine." Its a rebirth, a "new beginning." It is what it is, a steel dominated twon dying. No art galler, no coffee shop, no community college, and no existing regional campus, is going to alter that fact.

I was out at Hook on Saturday, as I have a relative who flies "high rollers" in a Gulfstream equivalent (twin jet), and there may have been 10 cars total from the parachute club, and maybe 3 campers. The hype doesn't match reality and substance in any area the city speaks.

As for S 8, the houses went empty before the people came with vouchers. But, it is correct that to have 65% of a county's housing stock is too high. But, there is cash to spend in Middletown, you know where it is. PAC brings out the wine and feeds into Stefano's, but for the art lover, their treasurers are purchased elsewhere.  
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2011 at 4:38pm
Merci Kelly. I flew the Concorde to Paris, Air France back, but that did not make me know French culture. Spending a month there did.  But, France better choice than Peru. Very nice and commendable the money invested by Ritans. If only Middletown had a culture to embrace, than the countries it attempts to highlight.

Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2011 at 8:45am
Would need proof of $20,000 to believe it.
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2011 at 7:12pm
How about the volunteer hrs. do they count for anything?  That doesn't mean going to get cat food either.  There are problems it's not one persons fault.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic