Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Armco Park

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Doug65 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Armco Park
    Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 11:09am
I'm doing some research on Armco Park and wondering if anybody knows the exact location of
Bunny Hollow Picnic Grove? Is this down were the Tennis Courts are in Miami U.?

Thanks for any input,

Doug
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 11:39am
I thought before it was named Armco Park it was called Bunny Hollow?
Doug65 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 11:56am
From what I can find out it was a section in Armco Park. I believe it was the main picnic area
people went to. It was actually Cooch's Woods before Armco bought it.

Doug
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Doug65 Doug65 wrote:

I'm doing some research on Armco Park and wondering if anybody knows the exact location of
Bunny Hollow Picnic Grove? Is this down were the Tennis Courts are in Miami U.?

Thanks for any input,

Doug

Correct Doug65. Years ago, I visited the site close to the tennis courts and saw the old concrete bases used for the rides that were there at one time. Don't know if they are still there or not. There is a photo of the entrance to Bunny Hollow (same as Armco Park), dated 1922, on the Middletown Library Lens. comprised of old photos from George Crout's collection. Punch in Bunny Hollow Armco Park and select the Lens site. The stone pillars for the entrance to Armco Park are still located by the bank, karate club, power station (old Lawson's store) on old Manchester Rd. (in case you weren't aware of that) I remember when Armco gave the park land to Miami U. and played in the Midd. marching band for the dedication by the white building at the entrance. (Verity Lodge I think) Went to Miami- Midd in 1966/67-first year it was open. Just some memories thrown in.
Doug65 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 12:36pm
I have located the the pilars also and followed the road into the park and kind of figured that maybe
Bunny Hollow.
I moved here about a year ago. I was wondering if they have a historic society for Middletown?
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 1:04pm
They do. There is one downtown though i believe now it is only open by appointment. Also there is the Canal Museum which is open every Sunday afternoon, and usually Mr. Sherron is working there each week. At 95, he has quite a bit of information about the history of Middletown.

You could also check out the Ohio room at the Middletown Public Library.
Redleg View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2014 at 4:14pm
Doug...as I remember the place, Bunny Hollow was up the hill opposite (north)of the present-day tennis courts. Somehow, through the years, folks have been calling the park Bunny Hollow when, in fact, it and Melody Meadows were picnic grounds within the park. David Fall, who is on Facebook, is an expert on the park as his family lived there.
jims1 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jims1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2014 at 10:05pm
Hi Doug, I do not know how much this will help you, but in our backyard, we have what was the guard or gate house to Bunny Hollow. We are told the Falls moved the building to this home when they moved here when Dave Fall was a teenager. We were curious about the original location as well, never have pinpointed it. Please feel free to visit us.
Redleg View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2014 at 10:03pm
Are you referring to a small white shed type structure that was just inside the gate and to the left?   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic