FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JA Smith...again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JA Smith...again
    Posted: Oct 19 2011 at 12:19am

From the MJ.....

Council member owes city tax money

A.J. Smith says not filing income taxes was a mistake he will rectify.

By Andy Sedlak, Staff Writer Updated 11:08 PM Tuesday, October 18, 2011

MIDDLETOWN — City Councilman A.J. Smith must go to court to answer an allegation accusing him of not paying his income taxes for the last two years.

He was notified Tuesday of his summons to Middletown Municipal Court, which was filed Monday. No court date was set.

The affidavit, according to Clerk of Courts Steven Longworth, alleges Smith “unlawfully did fail, neglect or refuse to make any return or declaration required by this chapter for the years 2009 and 2010.” 

Aside from working for the city, Smith is a 22-year-old self-employed political consultant. As a council member he earns $5,000 per year. The city’s income tax rate of 1.75 percent, or $87.50, has already been collected by the city stemming from that job.

“We have the same process for everybody, including council people,” city finance Director Russ Carolus said. “If people fail to file their income taxes, eventually we get to the point where we are forced to take them to court in an effort to get them to file.”

To rectify the situation, Smith would have to file his paperwork with the income tax division and obtain a certificate to present to the court signifying his compliance.

Smith said that when filing his federal and state taxes with H&R Block, he was under the impression it would cover local income taxes as well.

“Apparently that’s not the case,” he said. “I just need to rectify it.”

Smith said he does not believe he was misguided by H&R Block.

Through 2009, Smith said his parents assisted him in filing his income taxes. In 2010, Smith said he attempted to file taxes himself for the first time.

Carolus said Smith was sent “several” notifications alerting him of a looming deadline. But Smith, who has lived at four different locations in the last year, said those alerts may have “gotten lost in the shuffle.” He said he first saw a notification about three weeks ago.

According to Carolus, the city has prepared paperwork on 384 accounts for failure to file income taxes with the city through September of this year.

Smith was elected to represent the city’s Second Ward in 2009 and has since made headlines for actions away from City Hall.

Police were dispatched to a residence at 907 Sixth Ave. owned by Smith after a Duke Energy employee claimed Smith confronted him with a handgun when he was shutting off electric service. No charges were filed.

In January, police were called to Applebee’s on Towne Boulevard after a server confronted Smith about allegedly not paying for a $2.50 bottle of Heineken. No charges were filed. Smith termed the incident a misunderstanding. Former economic development director Mike Robinette, who was with Smith, paid for the beer.

In July 2010, police were called on a report of a disturbance at a home in the 2000 block of Aaron Drive involving Smith, his sister and two other women. Police said Smith insisted all four be summoned to Municipal Court, where disorderly conduct charges against all four were dismissed.

The Ohio Elections Commission in August fined Smith for improperly filing campaign finance reports with the Butler County Board of Elections from his 2009 campaign.

Smith said he does not have a growing concern for his image.

“No, not at all,” he said. “Like I said, it was a mistake on my part. I was under the impression when I filed my federal and state taxes, my local taxes would be filed. I think a lot of people believe that.

“I’ve been on city council now 22 months. I’ve done my very best,” he noted. “My obligation to my constituents is to pass legislation and support our executive branch of government and any economic or community driver that we use. I’ve done just that.”

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2011 at 12:33am
Whoops.....Topic should have read  AJ Smith...again  
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2011 at 6:03am
You are living in denial AJ. Time to step out of the limelight. It is not for you.
Voleye View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voleye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2011 at 7:08am
H&R Block is not that dumb.  Step up and take responsibility for something.   Its either Duke Electrics fault or its H&R Block's fault or its a misunderstanding with Applebees.  Man up.  Take responsibility.   This is not the type of person anyone wants running and making decisions that affect us all!
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2011 at 8:35am
Council needs to take a Vote to get this low life off council.He thinks he is above the law and can do what he please's. He is just occupying a chair that someone that gives a damn about this town can be sitting in.
After hearing his questions last night over the tap in fee I said to myself,Can someone really be that dumb?A.J.Again do us all a favor Just go away!!!!!!Smile
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2011 at 9:15am
Council unfortunately cannot vote someone off council. Mr. Smith could voluntarily resign, a move which I believe he has been quoted in Journal articles as stating he would not be doing. Obviously if he were to die that would remove him from council, but he is a young man and hopefully in good health. But from a voted out standpoint, either it happens when his term expires and he has not been elected, or the citizens of his ward organize a recall campaign (the details on how that works have been posted in other topics on this board).

Unless one of those things happen, all we will see is other council members possibly calling for him to step down as Mr. Mulligan has done in the past, which unfortunately is probably more about political grandstanding than anything else.

Mr. Smith's actions away from council chambers are not projecting the best image of the city, that is for sure. And I'm not being an apologist for him, but at least he isn't getting arrested in a Cow costume, nor is he Laura Williams...yet.
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2011 at 10:07am
Smith cares about no one except himself. The best thing to do is ignore him and eventually he will go away.
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2011 at 11:33am
He is a fool. I don't know which is sadder -- that he apparently needs the $5000 income very badly or that he has no shame despite all of his mistakes.
jsmith2011 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2011 at 3:13pm
I don't understand how he gets away with all of this. No matter what he does there is never any punishment.

He didn't pay in Applebee's, no charges were filed. He was stealing electricity from Duke, nothing was done. He gets into a brawl, charges dismissed. Didn't pay his taxes, I'll go out on a limb here and say it will be taken care of and nothing more will be said.

Hell no he's not resigning from city council, it's keeping him out of jail.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2011 at 4:53pm
No fan of AJS, said so several times. But, lets pull the possee back and pull the rope back off the tree before the handing, and put it in a wagon.

Middletown makes $$$ off the "no receipt" ordinance. Even former council member Neni said it was just a plain "dumb" tactic that ran away businesses and people, I agree. No mention he owed taxes, assume city takes that out of his $5,000 right? Wow, looks like he might owe $20.00 for FTF.

AJS is on council for his Obama efforts, that's all. He'd be gone tomorrow but he gig is setting up Obama best he can in southwestern Ohio, and Ohio. Council means nothing to the lad. Okay boys, put that horse away and the rope, there will be no hanging today.

Marshall Dillon (if you need me, I'm at Applebee's with Kitty)
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2011 at 5:44am
Sorry acclaro, but Smith shot himself, several times over.
Voleye View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voleye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2011 at 7:06am
lol.   It doesn't matter if he owed any taxes or not.  He is a resident of MIddletown (I think) and if you file taxes on the federal and state level you are required for the city also?  I think thats the way it works.   If you hire a tax consultant they are going to know if you have to file a local tax or not.

My issue is evertime something comes up like this,  Its never his fault.   Its always someone fault other than his.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2011 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Voleye Voleye wrote:

lol.   It doesn't matter if he owed any taxes or not.  He is a resident of MIddletown (I think) and if you file taxes on the federal and state level you are required for the city also?  I think thats the way it works.   If you hire a tax consultant they are going to know if you have to file a local tax or not.

My issue is evertime something comes up like this,  Its never his fault.   Its always someone fault other than his.

Every man woman or child 16 or older in this city has to file city tax regardless.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic