FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To the Victors...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To the Victors...
    Posted: Nov 08 2011 at 10:45pm

I’ve tried to find a telephone number for Ms. Mort to call her and offer my congratulations.  I was not able to do so.

To her and tonight’s other winners, I congratulate them.  May they govern wisely and lead Middletown to better days.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2011 at 11:22pm

To the 772 people who voted for me:

I sincerely thank you for your vote.  I am honored by your expression of support.  I apologize for letting you down with what proved to be an inadequate campaign.

I will make no excuses, and accept all responsibility for failing to sway a majority of the voting public.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 2:29am
Mr. Presta, I can't tell you how sad I am that you are not our Ward 1 councilman. I feel you would have brought much needed change to Middletown. It is 2 AM, I have searched the MJ and googled for election results and to my dismay the only result I found was this sad news post from you. Thank you for your efforts and information. I'm guessing Mr. Nagy will not be our mayor either. I don't understand why the people of Middletown aren't more concerned about this town. Why aren't they outraged about the way their tax dollars are used and why they don't ask for more accountability from the powers that be. IMO you were too honest about what you hoped to change. You were not part of the elite group and would have forced them to be more open about their causes. So, it's business as usual and alas, this end of Middletown will remain a ghetto I have the greatest amount of respect for you, love your strength and wit and I still like Mike. Stop by and see us.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 3:38am

Wannaknow,

You can find all of the election results here: http://results.butlercountyelections.org/ (click on “View Live Results”; it will scroll through all Butler County results alphabetically, with council-type races first, followed by school board races, and "issues" at the end) or here: http://local.cincinnati.com/Elections/Default/Search?County=Butler

Thank you for the kind words, and for your support.  I actually did stop by and remove the yard sign, but didn’t want to disturb you at that late hour.  I appreciate all of your efforts.  With more supporters like you, perhaps I could have carried the day.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 3:56am

As a side note, as of 3:00 a.m. this morning (Wednesday 11/9/11), all of my yard signs have been removed and collected, except for four.  Two appear to have been removed by the property owners.  The remaining two are on the other side of town, and I plan to retrieve them tomorrow.

If any of the other candidates need assistance removing their signs, I would be pleased to arrange same for a reasonable fee.  Big%20smile

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 6:56am
Thanks Mike for running. Hard to beat the established hierarchy set up by the MMF scum. Not in Ward 1 or would have given you my vote. Too bad for the citizens with these results. Too bad the "angry citizens" didn't bother getting up off the couch to register and vote....just bitch. Disenchanted voter numbers could have overcome the MMF puppet candidates, but, as usual, no one showed in enough numbers to change a thing. Now, we will have another Tom Allen on council, only one with a pompous mouth, to carry on the MMF message of exclusion and destruction. It is getting worse for "we the people". I'm predicting this woman will do little to nothing while sitting on council other than what she is told like the rest of them do. We shall see. The theme of destruction continues. JMO
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 7:16am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

... I'm predicting this woman will do little to nothing while sitting on council other than what she is told like the rest of them do. We shall see. ...

Well, Vet, She did state quite clearly a couple of times that, if elected, she would “play nice” so no one can say that they weren’t warned.  The people were offered a clear choice and they seem to have made a clear decision.

I am aware of only one small irregularity, not nearly enough to make a difference, so the die is cast.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 7:53am
Tom Wolfe's classic, "You Can't Go Home Again." Great book. You can in Middletown, they just don't remember you, even if you write a check. Let them fall on their sword, not your own.  
wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 8:44am
Mike, may I please have one of your signs. I'm sentimental. I had such visions of all the wondrous things that were going to happen when you and Paul got in office. Now, its just one more of them. People say we need change but won't take the opportunity or do anything to bring changes. Obviously bitching doesn.t work or there would be lots of changes at Donham Plaza.
Abby said you were here. I am sorry I missed you. I like Mike!!!!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 8:55am

Wannaknow,

Of course you can have one of these extremely rare artifacts!!!  I am charging only $100 each ($150 if personally autographed)!!! LOL LOL LOL  

(Just kidding!!)  I’ll be happy to drop one off…if not this evening, sometime in the next few days.

Jack Black View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 10:02am
Mike,
Thanks so much for fighting the good fight.  We appreciate your care and concern for our city.
ClapClapClapClapClap
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2011 at 7:56am

A few short post-mortem notes on the election (for the few of you who might be interested—others, please ignore.):

I won only one of the First Ward’s nine Butler County precincts.  (For some reason, Warren County cannot seem to tell me the results of the Ward 1 vote in that county, even though they report 100% of the vote has been counted since Wednesday morning.  This is of little consequence, since even in the highly unlikely event that I had swept 100% of the Warren County Ward 1 vote, it would have brought me nowhere close to being into contention.

That one precinct that I won was Midd1Wd1, with over 52% of the votes cast. Generally speaking, this is much of the area of “Lakeside” including nearly all of the area close to the hydraulic canal.  I have friends in this area that helped to deliver the vote.  I feel especially bad for this area, since with my defeat they can kiss good-bye any hope of relief from the canal blight.  Too bad for them.  They deserve better.

I am disappointed that I failed to carry my own precinct, Midd2Wd1, carrying less than 43% of the vote.  I was so well-received when canvassing for petition signatures, perhaps I just took these good neighbors for granted.

In Midd6, the area of Lakeside east of Germantown Road, I carried just over 40%, actually more than I had hoped.  I had a couple of very strong supporters there that nearly helped me win the day, but the area is noted for low turnouts, and many of those who do vote favor the more liberal candidates such as my opponent.

I took my worst drubbing in precincts 3 and 4.  These two precincts encompass most of the area from Breiel east to the Warren County line, and from Manchester Road north to the river.  I guess this was to be expected as this area includes my opponent’s neighborhood (Precinct 3) as well as that of the City Manager.  Yet I felt that I would have pockets of support in this highly conservative area.  I was only able to garner 22% and 26% respectively in these two precincts, and the voter turnout there was high.

Midd5Wd1 was another precinct where I did very poorly (30%).  This area, formerly referred to as “Countryside” was another disappointment as it is a very conservative area where one would think my message would have resonated.  Go figure.

Miscellaneous facts:

Of the 7,249 registered voters in Middletown’s First Ward (Butler County only), and 2,603 (35.91%) cast a ballot in this past election.  Of the 2,603 who cast a ballot, 372 (14.29%) did not vote for EITHER candidate for Ward One unexpired term for City Council.

Excluding the First Ward, there are 21,709 registered voters in Middletown (Butler County only), and 7,303 (33.06%) cast a ballot in this past election.

(I have further analysis on the Ward 1 race.  If anyone is interested, make sure that you have room in your MiddletownUSA message box--there is a 100 message limit-- and I will be happy to send it.  There is nothing to be gained by boring the others.)

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2011 at 8:32am
I'd like to answer you, but I can't.  Your message box is full.
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2011 at 8:41am
Thanks Mr. P- We will see over time if ward 1 made the right choice that will turn this town in a different direction. Mort is a commited citizen who from what I heard and read felt she "had" to do this. As well I believe you felt the same since know one else was stepping up. Why is my question did not more people step up to help get involved? Being Vet day I ask this question because we as a country IMO have changed when it comes to understanding we all have too take part in setting our future. Thanks again for stepping up.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2011 at 8:57am

Middletown campaigns are not ideology driven, they are "cobweb" driven. Either know the cobwebs, own them, or you need not apply. Conwebs would be Library leadership, BOE, unions, Sr Citizen Ctr and Assisted Living Ctrs, Charity Gala, Chamber of Commerce -K Club, City Leaders, Boosters, Cemetary (dead, not vault) etc.

Katie McNeil pulled >6000 votes, could beat Mayor Mulligan, and the school has not been the icon of excellence. PAC with paintings just a front for gala events, so not all have to drive to BRCC.

Want ideology with issues? Go to West Chester or Springboro. Middletown never had it. Never will, just cobwebs that when weaved, pull about 6,000 votes, unless cash has to be paid, and then swings about 5,000 for vs 75000 against everytime. Grassroots never a winner in Middletown, each cobweb traded for other cobweb support when needed. Next cobweb on deck: Sr, Citizen Ctr, will be defeated, then master cobweb city, with 1.75% tax. See repeat of Issue 2 on that.  

Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2011 at 11:14am

Has anyone seen the Middletown election results reported with the Warren County voting results included?  There are at least a couple of thousand registered voters living within the City of Middletown but in Warren, not Butler, County.  It seems unusual that the results have not been reported with these numbers included.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic