FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It was always about the revenue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It was always about the revenue
    Posted: Jun 11 2008 at 8:52am

At least Hamilton is upfront about it.  Middletown sees revenue going down, not so much about Public Safety anymore is it.Wink

Hamilton eyes adding red-light cameras; Middletown says revenue down from program

By Ed Richter

Staff Writer

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

MIDDLETOWN While Hamilton is looking at installing red-light cameras as a revenue-generator, Middletown is considering whether it wants to continue the program.

Middletown City Manager Judy Gilleland said late Tuesday, June 10, there are some initial internal discussions of the city's options.

Gilleland declined to comment further on the future of the city's eight red-light cameras that went into operation in March 2005.

Police Chief Greg Schwarber said he recently completed a report for Gilleland to review on the issue.

According to city officials in the past have said the goal of the red light cameras are not to make money, but to reduce accidents and injuries.

However, city officials also have noticed "a significant decrease" in revenues to the city in 2007 compared to 2006.

Vehicles and license plates are caught on camera if they run the red light and before a civil citation is mailed, the photos are reviewed by a Middletown police officer who determines if a violation occurs.

While motorists do not receive violation points on theirdriving record, there is a civil fine of $100 that is assessed of which the city receives a portion. Failure to pay incurs additional $25 penalties.

In 2006, the city's share of the revenues amounted to $142,250, according to Finance Director Russ Carolus. He said the revenues dropped to $107,518 in 2007.

Carolus also said the vendor that originally installed the cameras, Peek Traffic Corp. of Florida was bought out by Traffipax Inc. of Maryland in May 2007.

He said there have been some issues between the new vendor and the city.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2008 at 9:16am
They also have unresolved conflicts with the new company.

So the ball is in Middletown's court and it looks like the current red light cameara company is on the way out.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2008 at 11:00am
Oh, but I can remember when they were trying to sell this idea to the public that revenue was questioned by the people but denied by the city. The city said it was about reducing accidents and for our safety. Now, as you point out, we find out the truth. Imagine that! Is there a topic(any topic- choose one) that can be discussed, that this city doesn't have a lie waiting in the wings to deliver to the citizens? And they have the audacity to ask us to trust them! Let's see, we'll put the traffic camera program under failed enterprises such as the City Centre Mall, Lake Middletown, Downtown Revitalization and the Towne Mall fiasco, not to mention failed economic development initiatives.
Ernie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2008 at 11:03am
Red light means STOP, green light meand GO, yellow light means GO FASTER so the camera will not get your picture. I pass through theee intersection all the time. Even pulled into a parking lot an watched the lights-vehicles-camera in action. Wow. Now that they have beed in use for a while I believe it is working to reduce accidents however, to see some of the things that occured because of the camera...wow. Maybe some of the money generated can be put to a good use.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2008 at 3:36pm
I don't know Ernie I live and work near 3 of these intersections and have seen some real smash'em up accidents since the cameras went in.  Would be interested to know if the number of accidents went up or down and if the severity of the accidents increased.
HereIam View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HereIam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2008 at 3:45pm
Seems to me that if the revenue is going down, the cameras may be doing their job.  Fewer tickets means fewer people running the lights.  If it isn't about the revenue, it is actually good that it is going down.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2008 at 1:11pm

From Baby Boomer Headquarters .com  - The Three Great Lies:

"Of course I'll respect you in the morning."
"The check is in the mail."
"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you."

If they listed the fourth great lie that would be:

"It's not about the revenue."

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic