FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MMF gets $75,000 from City

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MMF gets $75,000 from City
    Posted: Dec 05 2011 at 9:48pm
Council will give MMF $75,000 for property acquisition. What's up?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2011 at 7:43am
Has anyone come forward from MMF in front of Council to request these funds(and why?)?
Or is this an insider deal?
Seems difficult with so many of Coun cil and Admin on the board of MMF
Anyone seen a recent roster?

What "fund" will finance them?

Look for this Council to sock it to us as their going away present!
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2011 at 7:55am
Isn't that a firefighter or a police officer position???
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2011 at 8:55am
MMF is the legal, non-profit, economic development corporation that is supposed to encourage and promote Middletown to business and industry. According to what I've read about non-profit EDCs, they are legally entitled to receive money to achieve their stated goals. It would make sense for the city to promote such a group since their are city officials on the board of the corporation.
My only argument with MMF is that you never see minutes from their meetings entered into the public record like you do with other boards. Why is that?
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2011 at 8:34pm
Not sure but I think they (MMF) are required to advertise meetings, have open meetings and keep official minutes.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2011 at 10:05pm
Since AK and the Hospital has a person on this board has their company put forth a donation?If so is it the 10k the the M fer's say that they have? I just find it odd  that when asked where this money is going to they basically our using it for what our Economic Devl. person is paid to do.If he cant do the job then its time to find someone else.I Also find it distasteful that our mayor and another council member are sitting on the M fer's board.(Sorry when I write M fer's I chuckle LOL) Here our spineless ones once again give our money away and cant be told how and when it is going to be spent. Im getting ready to take a loss on my house I own here in this dead town wonder if the spineless will pay me for my loss?
As in your comeant Midd.29 the minutes was brought up by Ms Scott Jones tonight and I guess the council didnt have the minutes of there meetings till now.Well shall I say they will be getting a copy of them but they wont have to vote on them like they do with others.Im scratching my head and my butt cos here we have a group of citizens that show up at a council meeting and say,Hey we need 75k just in case we need it.Dont make sense to me.
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2011 at 10:25pm
Maybe it is the money that it cost MMF to see that these crooks got into office..Wink
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2011 at 11:19pm

MMF doesn’t want public to know what goes on in their meetings, but since the taxpayers are plunking down $75,000, doesn’t that at least buy them the right to know what goes on???

Isn’t this really just the “buy the Sorg opera house for the city before some else might buy it and put in a business we don‘t like or paint it a color the historic commission doesn‘t like” fund???  Then the City of Middletown will own another building that we will have to spend a couple hundred thousand dollars to demolish in a few years

Or, perhaps the City Manager has a hunch that Cinci State would like to offer courses in ticket-taking and movie ushering, and is betting that this building is just the ticket to be used as the classroom for such courses???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 2:23am

Gentlemen
    I watched the Council Meeting however I really want to watch it again and take a few notes before I comment on what I thought I heard last night.

Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 6:01am

I can just hear Sam telling Ms. G (and Ms. M telling Mr. Mugs) that “It’s only $59,000” and “We just have to get this before someone else buys it” and “It is the only place truly worthy to be the home of the City of Middletown Municipal Museum of History.”

http://www.sibcy.com/viewlisting.asp?mls=1292777&b=CIN&p=COMM&s=COMM&m=1&sender=QuickSearch

Of course, the city dare not buy it just after having laid off several police officers and firefighters, so they simply gave MMF the money to do it. (Sam to Ms. G: “Just do it. The Middletown rednecks are so dumb they will never figure it out. Think how many other times we have fooled them.”)

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 7:01am
found it comical(really not funny) that three mmfers showed up to answer ?s, but Ms.Hamet, Ms.G, Mr.Landen and the Mayor pretty much had to answer every ? and provide explanations.

Surprised that no one asked what this group has accomplished since 2005.

So--we are going broke--can't afford street repairs, police/fire, community center etc., but we can fork up $75,000 to this mystery group "just in case" they might need it for "something"?
jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 7:22am
This was to buy the Sorg. Perhaps it will be another Art "showplace" for Sam to put his works.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

Not sure but I think they (MMF) are required to advertise meetings, have open meetings and keep official minutes.

Maybe MMF always declares an Executive Session
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 10:00am
Originally posted by tomahawk35 tomahawk35 wrote:

Maybe it is the money that it cost MMF to see that these crooks got into office..Wink

I find it odd that the Mulligans raised over $10k each to run their campaigns, but I don't recall seeing many signs for them. I saw 1 for Joe out on 122 in West Middletown and I got a flyer for him even though I am in the 3rd ward.
What was all this money used for?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 10:32am

Sorg Opera House?

And who will do the repairs for how much--paid for by whom?
More art in an area 3 blocks away from our current art mecca?
To be open when and for?

I was looking at a piece of property within that strip.
Was scared off because there is nothing of substance on that two-block strip on S Main, and saw the area as honestly in need of being leveled since nothing positive has happened there in 20 years.

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 11:17am
sj,

Your ?s are valid if this money is actually planned for the purchase of the Sorg Opera House. I haven't seen any plans that state this money is for that purpose. I do dispute the statement that nothing positive has happened there in 20 years. Of course, the definition of "nothing positive" would come into question because I have no idea what you would consider "positive". Obviously, any show that has occurred during the past 20 years in the Opera House would fall into the "nothing positive" category. Any of the businesses previously there would fall into your category of "nothing positive" as well.

The most recent previous owners have undone in 5 years what took 25 yrs to accomplish at the Sorg. Now the building sits empty and neglected so your "solution" is just tear it down. While I have no desire to see the city buy more real estate, I can't understand the sentiment for bulldozing more of this town's history. I agree that tax payer money shouldn't be used but if the choice is city ownership of the property or the bulldozer, then buying the building is the only practical solution. If the city would start looking to sell buildings to investors, I'd look even more favorably upon their efforts. I just cannot understand the thought process behind the demolition mindset.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 2:06pm
What is there not to understand about the "demolition mindset"?  I'd rather the city get rid of a crappy piece of property that sits for years virtually unused.  There has been no free market solution for that building, so what is the point of "looking to sell to investors"??  The investors could have bought it 6 months ago, 6 years ago, even 16 years ago.

I'm not sure TonyB what solution you think is out there when the free market has proven that there ie no market for hunks of junk properties.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 2:44pm
These threads are many times a moving target, this one no exception. Perhaps someone can explain as I don't listen to blivtv or watch council meetings, what the $75 Kk was for Sorg that was tied to MMF? Next, I agree with Bill. Middletown is tearing down old buildings, trying to make as much greenfield or borwnfield as possible. It cleans up the trash, wasteland, and does open up the area. But, to TonyB's point Bill, if the Sorg has proven it has no redeeming market value for years, and neither has the Manchester, why was the Manchester bought? But, the buildings will either be torn down or refurbished. Economically I cannot see how they could be restored without massive outlays which would justify their investment.

I would be interested in anyone knows, the salient link to MMF and Sorg, how, why, a front, a cloak, a gift, as I have no idea.   
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 2:49pm
The real and only question should be is if any Tom,Dick or Harry that starts a secrect club as I consider the M efer's to be could they go to the SPINELESS ONES and ask for 75k? Myself I think someone needs to contact the AG and see if they can start a investigation on the crooked deals this dead ass city has done.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

These threads are many times a moving target, this one no exception. Perhaps someone can explain as I don't listen to blivtv or watch council meetings, what the $75 Kk was for Sorg that was tied to MMF? Next, I agree with Bill. Middletown is tearing down old buildings, trying to make as much greenfield or borwnfield as possible. It cleans up the trash, wasteland, and does open up the area. But, to TonyB's point Bill, if the Sorg has proven it has no redeeming market value for years, and neither has the Manchester, why was the Manchester bought? But, the buildings will either be torn down or refurbished. Economically I cannot see how they could be restored without massive outlays which would justify their investment.

I would be interested in anyone knows, the salient link to MMF and Sorg, how, why, a front, a cloak, a gift, as I have no idea.   
They didnt give a specific reason  only to put in there acct.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 3:08pm
Bill,

The hunks of useless properties seem to generate interest; however, if that interest is not in line with the city's Master Plan, then the properties don't get sold. I seem to remember Senior Citizen's wanted Swallen's. How did that one turn out? In regards to the Sorg Opera House, the previous owners had interest in the building to such an extent that they had exclusive rights to bid on the building. The fact that they trashed the building notwithstanding. There is market value to be had in these buildings, the question is what purpose, who is doing the rehab and who is paying for it?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 3:18pm

Acclaro
City
stated last night that the CIC "Middletown Moving Foreward" was established in 2005 while Bill Becker was City Manager. It seems that in 2005 the City instructed that MMF go out and get private investors for the downtown area and last night they returned and stated that they had collected $10,000 in private funds and they were asking for $75,000 from the City just in case they needed money in a hurry for three project that they would be looking at over the next year.

1. Sorg Opera House
2. Brownfield area next to Hook Field
3. Jobs and Family Services building downtown

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 3:32pm
Spiderjohn
    This has been the direction that the City has wanted to go for the last 10 years.
They are going to buy the Sorg Opera House no matter what. They will use every available grant that can be written and every dime in the downtown fund to accomplish this goal. Not to worry come January they will have all the votes they need to build THEIR DOWNTOWN VISION.
    The City Council has already decided the only way we are going to get money for our street repairs are to add the cost to the Water Bills…It was a sad thing to watch as they threw Josh under the bus last night.
    Last night Ms Judy stated that the “Downtown Funds” could be used outside the downtown core……Really? Well Ms Judy that is not what you and your staff have told me over the past 7 years about these funds.
    And just think…..at the last council meeting we were going broke…

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 4:31pm
Vivian,

For movers and shakers, MMF doesn't seem to be very effective at persuading investors. Been around since 2005 and only raised $10,000? Hell, you could put a homeless person on the street corner with a sign and they'd make more than $10,000 in 6 years!!! Besides, what was said yesterday has no validity today!!! Promise? What promise?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 5:02pm

TonyB

I don’t believe that a date was given for when MMF had started collecting investments for Downtown Area or what they have been doing for the past 6 years other than advising the City.
    It seems that MMF was formed about the same time that the City joined Main Street USA. I guess they are a 501-3C so they can apply for Federal Grants.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic