FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Student Athlete Eligibility

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Student Athlete Eligibility
    Posted: Jan 15 2012 at 9:00am
Today's Journal....

Districts work to keep student-athletes eligible
Grade-point average requirements vary among schools

Just as high school basketball season entered its second half, many school districts also began their second semester. This marks the close of a grading period and the release of grades that could determine a student-athlete’s eligibility for the rest of the season. A Middletown Journal analysis of the minimum academic requirements across Butler County’s public school districts found a wide range of standards.

The highest minimum GPA is at Talawanda with a 2.0. Hamilton requires a 1.75 and Middletown has a 1.55 minimum.

“I struggled at times especially my sophomore year,” said Middletown senior Zach Edwards, who is a three-sport athlete for the Middies. “I never thought I had the time (to study), but then I realized I did through our study tables.
“It’s a hard transition from junior high to high school because the amount of work is greater,” he continued

Middletown students who drop below 2.5 are sent to a study table for two weeks to improve that grade.
“We are proactive in helping kids keep their grades up,” Middletown Athletic Director Gary Lebo said. “We are fortunate to have the study table available.
Middletown school board President Marcia Andrew said she doesn’t want to see students performing at the 1.55 level or below.
“We obviously want all students to perform better than that, but it is a balancing act because eligibility is what is keeping some students in school,” Andrew said. “It is a failure if they drop out and the study table is a good way to balance that out.

Thank you Ms. Andrew and all in the Middletown educational community for the effort. I realize how tough it can be when you are given a low income/Section 8 source (thanks city leaders!) and have to deal with all of the stereotypical problems created by that source including a lack of parental involvement, discipline issues and, typically, a lack of caring from the student themselves on whether they receive an education or not. All monumental problems for you folks. Middletown has many issues that most districts do not. It would be interesting to see how Lakota, Ross, Springboro, Mason and other high performing districts would fair when having to deal with an overabundance of low income. Like to see them take their fair share of these issues. Council and the people in the city building are not the friends of the school district.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic