FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hotels in Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HereIam View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HereIam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hotels in Middletown
    Posted: Jun 23 2008 at 10:07am
I'd like to know why we have so many hotels in Middletown.  What is the attraction here?  Why do we let them keep building when the ones that are here are struggling?  I've seen the hotels on the East side of I-75 change names at least a dozen time over the past few years - Each time to a cheaper less attractive hotel franchise.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2008 at 10:10am
The Hotels are near I-75 for travelers basically, not the residents of Middletown.  This is common for exits off of an Interstate.  Bascially that is why all of the restaurants congregate there also.
HereIam View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HereIam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2008 at 10:12am
So if travelers stop and use our hotels.  Why isn't the City looking at ways of getting an attraction to the area that will make these travelers stay an extra night? Creating more taxable income for the area.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2008 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by HereIam HereIam wrote:

So if travelers stop and use our hotels.  Why isn't the City looking at ways of getting an attraction to the area that will make these travelers stay an extra night? Creating more taxable income for the area.

IMHO, it is because certain people at city hall consider that "tacky".  It conflicts with the "artsy-fartsy", sophisticated image that they wish to project.  They seem to think commerce is an "illegitimate child" to be hidden away, not advertised or visible from the interstate.
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2008 at 4:24pm
That makes too much sense. 

Middletown should be commended for having such events as the Balloon and Middfest. We need more events, more restaurants and more retail.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2008 at 4:39pm
Have a look at all of the changes in the building code in the last few years!

All signs must be small.  Everything commercial must be hidden from view.  Certain city officials are making it as difficult as possible for a stranger to exit I-75 and find any new businesses to be built in this city!  They have legislated it so that you will be able to drive by a business two or three times before you realize it is there.  They do NOT want commercial to look like commercial!  If a new one is ever built, you will NOT be able to find a McD's merely by "looking for the Golden Arches".  The arches must be the size of croquet wickets, and hidden behind trees and shrubs!

Regardless of what they say, Middletown is NOT business friendly!
mhowardx View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhowardx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2008 at 5:32pm
Why would middletown not want business?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2008 at 6:42pm
Lets put it this way I deal with two states, the IRS and Middletown Tax. Dept. when it comes to taxes.   I would rather be having a Root Canal with the IRS on one phone, the State of Ohio on the other and the State of Florida on the other than deal with Middletown's Tax Dept.
.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2008 at 12:06pm
Sign Nazies For The Loss.

HereIam View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HereIam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2008 at 5:06pm
Bed Tax is the best kept secret in this City.  They take in almost $200,000 a year and give out $90,000 - at the last posting.  What do they do with the rest?  They got rid of the full-time Convention & Visitors Bureau so they can't say they are funding that.  They should use it to build a new convention center right on the express way that can utilize all the hotels and restuarants.  It would also bring in better quality retail.
.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2008 at 8:52am
" They should use it to build a new convention center "

They being the same people we don't trust to come up with a sign policy?

They being the same people we don't trust to fix the pot holes?

They being the same people we don't trust to keep us from becoming the section 8 capitol of Butler County?

Hummm... let me think about this.

: )
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2008 at 10:15am
.308 lets get it straight.

1)  They already came up with a bad sign ordinance.
2)  They already don't take care of the roads.
3)  They have already made us the Section 8 capital of Butler county.

And none of the above appears to be changing anytime soon.
.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2008 at 11:59am

Yeah, I know.

But I was on a role.
HereIam View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HereIam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2008 at 5:53pm
I sometimes wonder what kind of pressure will make "them" realize that they need to step up to the plate before Middletown goes down the drain.  I happen to like Middletown and want to see it succeed and can tell the frustration is high.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2008 at 6:39pm
Is the Manchester up to par for dignitaries? I would like to think so, but some of the rooms are in bad repair and have been since I got married and had my reception there, 21 years ago. Probably due to a lack of business. I sure hope they don't close down.

I don't see much effort for the Manchester to attract any diners, conferences or trade shows. Maybe I'm just not seeing it.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
HereIam View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HereIam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2008 at 10:38am
In the past the Manchester did a great deal of advertising, now it looks like they are relying on the downsized Middletown Convention & Visitors Bureau and Butler County Convention & Visitors Bureau and it doesn't seem to be working.  They need to get the word out more.
.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2008 at 6:03pm
The Manchester will need a lot more advertising after that visit by Sarah Palin and one of her staff writing they stayed in a "Not so plush hotel"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic