Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - AK Steel Blast Furnace Could be New Green Energy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AK Steel Blast Furnace Could be New Green Energy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2012 at 2:24am
Originally posted by lrisner lrisner wrote:

Once again, you go with emotion rather than fact. I said I agreed with you about borrowing from China.

So, now explain your comment here.. You won't as you can not. you are like so many others,having been fired up by Elmer Gantry types and you can only respond with emotion without even thinking thru whatever position you are espousing.

As far as you being a neo con...you sure talk the neo con nonsense just like you were one.

I am just sick to death of all the stupidity in our political system today. If you would clear your head long enough to think, you might see that this kind of BS can lead to some really bad things, given historical precedent. I mean things FAR worse than borrowing too much money. Of course that would require logic on your part and your neo con devotion has probably rendered that part of your brain useless by now.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2012 at 5:44pm
Once again, you go with emotion rather than fact. I said I agreed with you about borrowing from China.

So, now explain your comment here.. You won't as you can not. you are like so many others,having been fired up by Elmer Gantry types and you can only respond with emotion without even thinking thru whatever position you are espousing.

As far as you being a neo con...you sure talk the neo con nonsense just like you were one.

I am just sick to death of all the stupidity in our political system today. If you would clear your head long enough to think, you might see that this kind of BS can lead to some really bad things, given historical precedent. I mean things FAR worse than borrowing too much money. Of course that would require logic on your part and your neo con devotion has probably rendered that part of your brain useless by now.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2012 at 3:37pm

Neo-con? I wont even bother to respond to that.I only call them as I see them sorry that you agree with presidents that borrow money like a drunken sailor that stole donald trumps American express.

lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2012 at 2:52pm
Bo, you are a typical Neo-con knothead.

It was not cost effective for AK, that is why AK never did it. As far as borrowing money from China, I agree with you. Of course it is just as stupid to borrow money from China to give tax cuts to millionaires also, but somehow idiots like Romney don't see that part.

Air Products is involved because they have been contracted to run the Facility. It will also displace the #2 Boiler house at AK for purposes of providing cold Blast air to the Blast furnace.

I am sorry to be so blunt, but i think IDIOTS, on both sides of the political spectrum, are going to be our down fall. My own sister has become so brain washed by Rushbo and others that someone could start a rumor that Obama was signing an Executive order outlawing calling Christmas anything but the Winter Solstice Celebration, and she would believe it. I love her, but she has turned into an idiot just like MANY on this site. I am a conservative, i just have not went over the deep end like most  neo cons have.

Salem Mass had a general insanity invade the Community centuries ago and we  have a similar situation now, occupied by extreme idiots on both sides.
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2012 at 6:32pm
Wasn't Air Products looking at getting involved or was that something else?
squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2012 at 1:07pm
what's interesting to me is that the Cleveland link that JH posted to start this thread (written by a Plain Dealer reporter) has a lot of commentary - none on the Middletown Journal page from an article written by Tom Gnau.

it's also interesting that this thread hasn't touched much on the controversy: should AK-Air Products proposal be regarded as Alternative or Renewable energy?

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/bill-would-update-definition-of-renewable-energy-for-steelmaker-1332753.html

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2012 at 11:04am
So how is it cost effective if we have to borrow money from china to subsidize it (stimulus funds) I must have missed something.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2012 at 8:25am
This is old Technology and has been used in Europe for many years.  The Blast Gas has a low BTW value (about 125btw/cu ft in AK's situation) but is used, with the supplemental Natural Gas, to fire the Boiler house boilers to make steam to generate, via Turbines, the "Blast" part of the blast Furnace. The Blast furnace gas also is burnt in the Stoves at the BF to heat the blast air to 2000 degrees before it enters the furnace. The Blast gas alone will not get the stoves hot enough in the time allowed to reach 2000 degrees so natural gas is added here also.

The process being discussed here is one where the blast air is preheated, off site, with the burning of the  excess Blast gas that is now being burnt off at the the flare stack, where more time is available and then sent to the furnace complex where it is heated again to the 2000 degree level needed for current operation parameters. This will save Natural gas and reduce the Carbon footprint of the Blast furnace.

Now the part you Obamy haters won't like. This has not been done before because it was not economically feasible. It only is now because part of the money comes from the "green" portion of the stimulus so many of you bitched about and said didn't work.

I hope none of you bamy haters run to get your cut of this project. LOL.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2012 at 3:37am
They just now thought of this???
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2012 at 9:40pm
This does sound familiar now.  My apologies.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2012 at 9:40pm
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2012 at 6:14pm
This project was actually initiated around June of 2010.
The blast furnace gas was previously burned in the boilers at AK's #2 Boiler House next to the blast furnace to generate steam. This steam was generated at approximately 400 psi and superheated to about 750 degrees to run the blast furnace turboblowers, auxillaries, and process steam.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2012 at 3:14pm
Interesting news.  Funny how the local news did not report this.
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2012 at 11:53am
AK Steel of Middletown wants to build a $310 million power plant that would use the foul gases from its blast furnace as a fuel rather than a waste gas that it must by law now flare.

Ohio lawmakers are considering a measure that would call blast furnaces a source of green energy and instantly pit steel makers against wind farm developers.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/02/blast_furnace_waste_gas_could.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic