FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Early primary voting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early primary voting
    Posted: Feb 29 2012 at 6:46am
Friday is the last day for early voting in this year's primaries!!! The Butler County Board of Elections will be open until 6:30 pm tonight and Friday, and until 4:30 tomorrow (Thursday).  

If you have any doubt, I suggest that you vote for JEFF WYRICK for Butler County Clerk of Courts!!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 29 2012 at 11:23am
No college degree? Ms. Swain appears to be a bit "under-qualified."

http://www.maryswain.com/

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 29 2012 at 11:42am
Perhaps a college degree is over-rated and not necessary in some circumstances. Perhaps insisting on a college degree for certain positions is not needed, rather some common sense and logic when considering the requirements of the job. Perhaps employer requirements/ political qualifications/society in general places too much emphasis on this aspect with respect to a person's qualifications/abilities. Nowadays, there are a fair share of college degreed people running the shows in all arenas....some successful, but many, with absolutely no common sense nor people skills, who are basic screwups, despite their degree.(s) JMO
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 29 2012 at 12:24pm
Pt: Ms. Swain is a career clerk, beginning at the bottom which is pretty typical of the County politicians. She talks of restructuring, insynch with the Ohio Supreme Ct and attorneys (a JD is a doctorate), and other professionals. her opponent has a Criminal Justice degree and IT background. It was that comaprison I referred.

j  
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 29 2012 at 3:58pm
Does one need a Criminal Justice degree and some IT background to be Clerk of Courts? Just asking. If we examine what the Clerk does on a day to day basis, would it be necessary for them to have these degrees to function? Would it actually help do the job measurably better than the non-degreed candidate? Again, just asking. Perhaps one doesn't necessarily need to be an "expert" in the IT field but could be smart enough to determine someone else is and enlist their capabilities? Dunno. My main point is that I don't necessarily think that one has to have a degree or two to function in a political or office-holder capacity. Some folks put a premium on college sheepskins. I put a premium moreso on common sense and logic. You don't necessarily learn everything there is to learn in the classroom to function.
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 29 2012 at 4:44pm
I think if you want to be a highly paid office-holder who manages a multi-million dollar budget and has a staff reporting to her, that you need some credentials. Doesn't mean her degree necessarily helps her do many of the job tasks, but it does help.
People say "why do I need that piece of paper?". In the professional world, it tells bosses that you can set a goal and acheive it, perservere and work to attain something, it also says you have SOME level of ambition and are not a total slacker. It should also make you a little more well-rounded in that you have to take numerous courses in many different subjects so you at least have a little exposure to other topics and can relate to comments and opinions about history, finance, government, etc. It shouldn't be the sole factor in hiring but it is a big one.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 29 2012 at 7:03pm
We could go back and forth on this subject and never come to a conclusion. I think it is an interesting subject as I have dealt with college degreed people in research in the corporate world for over 43 years. Will continue to do so until I reach 51 years....then I'm done and out.

You bring up an interesting point of discussion here Stanky. You state.....

"In the professional world, it tells bosses that you can set a goal and acheive it, perservere and work to attain something, it also says you have SOME level of ambition and are not a total slacker. It should also make you a little more well-rounded in that you have to take numerous courses in many different subjects so you at least have a little exposure to other topics and can relate to comments and opinions about history, finance, government, etc. It shouldn't be the sole factor in hiring but it is a big one".

Most,who have been working any length of time,have been setting goals, achieving them (you do this every year for performance appraisals to determine your raise) and had to have had ambition to have achieved them. As we all know, in major corporations, you can't "slack" for long and survive. It's not like the old story(true or not)about GM workers sleeping for half their shift on the production line in the old union environment. However,.......I didn't learn the work ethic out of a college textbook. I learned it from my grandfather, a hard working, honest, tell-it-like-it-is, son-of-a-gun who worked 46 years of shift work out at Armco Steel. Went to work ever day, rotating shifts. Maxed out bonus each pay period for production quotas and provided us with a good life. He quit school in the 8th grade, when you could do such a thing, went to the mill, learned a trade on the 4-Hi temper mill and succeeded.

Some people learn out of a college textbook and function on the job just fine. Some people learn very little out of a book and gain knowledge by being shown how to do the job, get good at it and become experts in the technology. I would think that learning on the job applies to more people than sitting in a classroom reading theory without a live demonstration to accompany that theory. I have worked around a few college graduates that have amazed me in their inability to show any indication of having any common sense. Frankly, I've been surprised they could find the gas cap to fill the old car. Some were Chemical Engineers at Procter.

College courses are one source of being well-rounded. Heck, MUSA provides a bit of the well-rounded thing, doesn't it? I've learned alot from the information and opinions of the smart folks who frequent these pages. The Journal, when it was a real newspaper, did the same. When I took common curriculum courses at Miami, I never understood why I had to take calculus, social studies and history as an English major. They gave me the "well-rounded" story at the time too. Never bought it. Just thought it was to make students take more classes and a money-maker for the university.

Interesting topic of debate.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 29 2012 at 11:43pm

Gentlemen:

This is a subject that is dear to my heart, and one that I would enjoy expounding upon at length.  However, I must mention that both my wife and I took advantage of early voting today just before the polls closed at the Butler County Board of Elections office on Princeton Road just off By-pass 4.  The polls there are open for early voting again tomorrow (Thursday) until 4:30 and Friday until 6:30.  After that you must wait until Election Day next Tuesday, March 6, at your regular precinct polling place.

Both my wife and I voted for JEFF WYRICK for Republican candidate for Clerk of Courts, and suggest you all do likewise!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2012 at 7:05pm
I was in the Princeton Rd area (specifically Menards) this morning and stopped at the BC Board of Elections to vote early. This was very quick & easy. Incidentally, Mr. Wyrick also got my vote.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic