FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Resetting The Bar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Resetting The Bar
    Posted: Mar 03 2012 at 5:19pm
Today's Journal....

Ohio may use new report card system

COLUMBUS — Ohio will revamp how it grades K-12 school performance and set new goals for cutting the achievement gap among student groups if federal authorities exempt the state from requirements in the No Child Left Behind Act.

State Superintendent Stan Heffner called the No Child Left Behind Act out of date and unrealistic. On Wednesday, Heffner outlined the changes the Ohio Department of Education is proposing in exchange for relief from the burdens imposed by the 2001 landmark federal education law
Ninety-percent of Ohio schools are expected to fall short of a key target set by NCLB: 100 percent of students in every demographic group score proficient on math and reading tests by the 2013-14 school year, Heffner said. That would mean those schools would be rated as failures.

HOW LONG HAS NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND BEEN IN PLACE? THE FIRST OR SECOND BUSH TERM? HAVE THE SCHOOLS HAD ENOUGH TIME TO ACHIEVE THE GOALS SET IN THIS PROGRAM?

Ninety-percent of Ohio schools are expected to fall short of a key target set by NCLB: 100 percent of students in every demographic group score proficient on math and reading tests by the 2013-14 school year, Heffner said. That would mean those schools would be rated as failures.

SO, THE SCHOOLS AREN'T GOING TO MAKE THE TARGET SO THEY ARE PROPOSING CHANGING THE GAME.

Ohio wants to cast that target aside and replace it with new goals, which Heffner insists are more rigorous. Under the proposed new system, the goal would be to cut the achievement gap in reading and math in half by 2017 and require higher performance from all students, he said. The state will adopt new college- and career-ready standards, develop new statewide tests to measure student growth and set achievable annual goals, according to the state’s waiver application.

HOW IS THIS MORE RIGOROUS? AND WHAT HAPPENS IF THEY DON'T MEET THE GOALS BY 2017? MOVE THE TARGET AGAIN? DO WE LET EDUCATORS DESIGN THEIR OWN CRITERIA FOR EVALUATIONS? IF WE DID, WOULD THEY TEND TO BE MORE KIND TO THEMSELVES IN THE PROCESS? TO HAVE THE RULE SETTERS BE THE JUDGES OF FAILURE OR SUCCESS KINDA DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF EVALUATIONS, DOESN'T IT? ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF ARTIST BEING ALLOWED TO JUDGE THEIR OWN ARTWORK.

Roughly 40 percent of Ohio students who go to public colleges need remedial courses in math and English, which is costly and creates delays.

WHAT DOES THIS TELL US ABOUT THE METHODS USED TO PREPARE KIDS FOR COLLEGE ENTRANCE? PERHAPS A CHANGE, YEARS AGO, WAS IN ORDER AT THE HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL, BUT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS NEVER CONSIDERED.

State officials want to scrap the old system of rating school districts as Excellent, Effective, Continuous Improvement, Academic Watch and Academic Emergency. Instead, districts would earn letter grades just like Ohio’s school kids.

THIS REMINDS ME OF THE SILLY LITTLE COLOR CODES THE HOMELAND SECURITY DEPT. CAME UP WITH. REALLY SEEMS JUVENILE AND ACCOMPLISHES LITTLE. WHY BOTHER. ARE THE LABELS OF ACADEMIC EMERGENCY TOO HARSH? NOT GENTLE ENOUGH PERHAPS?

The report card grades would be based on how students score on state achievement tests, how well the district is at helping students learn a year’s worth of material, how well the district did on 26 performance measures, and how well the district does in helping students achieve regardless of their socio-economic, racial or disability status.

WOULD THIS REALLY CHANGE ANYTHING FOR THE MIDDLETOWN SCHOOLS AS TO MORE SUCCESS? IF SO, HOW? I WOULD THINK MIDDLETOWN WOULD STILL STAY AT THE BOTTOM AFTER THE CHANGE.

sickofthebull View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sickofthebull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 2:28pm
NCLB requires ALL students...100%...be proficient...that includes the Special Education students who typically are 2 or more grades below their grade level. This means that even though these children cannot read at their grade level they must read their grade level test AND pass it. Ever read something above your understanding and be expected to know it and pass a test on it? Doubtful. I see everyday students in my class frustrated because I have to test them on what they cannot do and they do not pass. It is my job to see that every child in my classroom improves AT LEAST a year but there are some children who SIMPLY CANNOT. No amount of pissing and moaning is going to change that. Please educate yourselves on this issue before speaking about it. Thanks. Oh, and before the usual attacks begin, reread the beginning of this post that says SPECIAL EDUCATION students, not to mention those on a 504.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 3:04pm
sickofthebull....."That includes the Special Education students who typically are 2 or more grades below their grade level. This means that even though these children cannot read at their grade level they must read their grade level test AND pass it".

BY YOUR STATEMENT, THE SPECIAL ED KIDS MUST READ AND PASS AT THEIR GRADE LEVEL. WHICH ONE? THEIR GRADE LEVEL OR TWO LEVELS ABOVE? IF AT THEIR GRADE LEVEL, IS THAT A PROBLEM?

"Ever read something above your understanding and be expected to know it and pass a test on it? Doubtful"

YEP....1966.....Calculus......MUM......CATHERINE MULLIGAN THE INSTRUCTOR.....WENT TO EVERY CLASS, TOOK NOTES IN CLASS......CAME TEST TIME.....DIDN'T KNOW WHERE TO START.......COMPLETELY LOST. TOO ABSTRACT FOR ME TO UNDERSTAND.

"I see everyday students in my class frustrated because I have to test them on what they cannot do and they do not pass"

OK, YOU HAVE IDENTIFIED THE STUDENTS WITH LEARNING ISSUES. DO YOU HAVE A PROGRAM THAT HAS THEM ATTEND AFTER SCHOOL TO RETEACH THE LESSONS? IS THERE A PROGRAM ON SATURDAYS FOR KIDS TO COME TO SCHOOL AND BE RE-TAUGHT IF THEY ARE NOT LEARNING ON THE FIRST GO-AROUND? IF NOT, WHY NOT?

"It is my job to see that every child in my classroom improves AT LEAST a year but there are some children who SIMPLY CANNOT"

OK, AGAIN, DOES YOUR SCHOOL SYSTEM HAVE A PROGRAM THAT WILL ADDRESS THE ONES WHO "SIMPLY CAN'T LEARN"? ARE THEY SENT SOMEWHERE ELSE WHERE SOMEONE WILL WORK WITH THEM SO THEY CAN LEARN? DID YOU VOLUNTEER TO STAY AFTER SCHOOL AND INVITE THEM TO CLASS TO RETEACH OR IS THAT NOT ALLOWED?

"No amount of pissing and moaning is going to change that"

JUST REACTING TO THE INFORMATION IN THE ARTICLE. NOT "PISSING AND MOANING".

"Please educate yourselves on this issue before speaking about it. Thanks"

JUST OFFERING SOME OPINIONS ON WHAT I READ. YOU HAVE DONE THE SAME. WE ARE BOTH ENTITLED TO DO THAT. IT IS CALLED FREEDOM OF SPEECH TEACHER.

"Oh, and before the usual attacks begin"

QUITE DEFENSIVE AREN'T WE? JUST A CITIZEN WHO IS HELPING PAY FOR THE EDUCATION SYSTEM IN TOWN WHICH GIVES ONE EVERY RIGHT IN THE WORLD TO OFFER CRITICISM. AS POORLY AS THIS DISTRICT HAS BEEN DOING, IT'S BOUND TO RECEIVE IT'S FAIR SHARE OF CRITICISM, DON'T YOU THINK?
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sickofthebull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 3:28pm
First, I believe ALL children can learn (even if it is only a little), my post never stated different. I have students who are 2 or more grades BELOW their grade/age level sitting in my classroom who are still expected to take the age/grade level state test and pass. That is a problem. If they don't pass with their at-level classmates, NCLB says I am a failure. These students are on an IEP which means they get multiple accommodations. We have after-school tutoring in place as well as time set aside during their day for work at their levels. This is in Middletown by the way. Everything possible is done within the school system to help these children and sometimes, there are glimmers of improvement, often there is not. As for the free speech remark, as an EDUCATED woman I tend to hold my opinions to myself until I have my facts straight and have the entire picture. I try to anyway (not perfect at this as of yet). Expecting attacks does not make me defensive but realistic about what happens on this forum whenever ANYONE comes on and doesn't agree with you. I fail to understand a man who, in post after post, complains about the number of section 8 housing in this city, yet doesn't quite get the connection to achievement (or lack thereof) in the schools with these children. You come close ever so often, but the minute you get a chance to dig in you do. You act like it is a possibility for a district to go to Excellent in just one year, which tells me you have no idea how the system really works. I have said it before and I will say it again, if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. You, VietVet, are not helping and I truly believe you don't really want to.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sickofthebull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 3:43pm
While sitting here thinking about your last post, I realized I failed to respond to the calculus issue you had. You stated you "didn't know where to start". Imagine that for an 8, 9 or 10 (or older) year old who can't read and comprehend simple sight words. Have you ever even looked at the tests these students take? I am not saying they are extremely difficult, but for a struggling child I can only imagine what it must be like inside their heads trying to make head or tails of them. We set them up for failure every single year and it just plain...I will just say it...SUCKS...
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 4:10pm
sickofthebull....

"As for the free speech remark, as an EDUCATED woman I tend to hold my opinions to myself until I have my facts straight and have the entire picture".

AN "EDUCATED WOMAN" HUH? CONGRATULATIONS, MOST OF US ARE TO SOME DEGREE OR OTHER. THIS STATEMENT INDICATES SOME EGOTISM IN YOUR ATTITUDE. RELAX, THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE WHO ARE EDUCATED LADY. YOUR POINT IS?

"Expecting attacks does not make me defensive but realistic about what happens on this forum whenever ANYONE comes on and doesn't agree with you".

NEVER ASKED ANYONE TO AGREE WITH ME. THAT'S THEIR CHOICE. JUST OFFERING MY OPINIONS ON DIFFERENT SUBJECTS THAT AFFECT MY HOMETOWN, THAT'S ALL. THE SCHOOL DISTRICT, PAST VERSUS PRESENT, HAPPENS TO BE ONE OF THOSE SUBJECTS.

"I fail to understand a man who, in post after post, complains about the number of section 8 housing in this city, yet doesn't quite get the connection to achievement (or lack thereof) in the schools with these children"

IN MY POSTS, CONCERNING SECTION 8, YOU WILL ALSO FIND THAT I HAVE BLAMED THE CITY LEADERS FOR THE SECTION 8 SATURATION AND THE EFFECT IT HAS HAD ON THE SCHOOL DISTRICT. I HAVE MADE POSTS ELUDING TO THE FACT THAT SECTION 8 HAS BEEN A TRAVESTY FOR THE CITY IN MANY WAYS INCLUDING THE SCHOOLS INABILITY TO COMBAT WHAT SECTION 8 ENCOMPASSES. I HAVE BEEN A DEFENDER OF THE SCHOOLS WITH SECTION 8 BUT I HAVE ALSO BEEN A CRITIC OF THE SCHOOLS BECAUSE THE DISTRICT HAS BEEN TOO SLOW TO REACT TO VARIOUS CHANGES THROWN AT THEM. ALSO CRITICAL OF THE DECADES IT HAS TAKEN TO SUCCEED IN IMPROVING THE INDICATOR NUMBERS (SHOULDN'T TAKE A DECADE TO GET TO 10 OUT OF 23 (or 26)) AND PROFICIENCY SCORES. THE SCORES WERE LOW BEFORE THE SECTION 8 SCOURGE AND THEY REMAIN LOW AFTER SECTION 8. I'M LOOKING FOR MEASURABLE IMPROVEMENT, NOT BABY STEPS IN OVER DECADES.

"You act like it is a possibility for a district to go to Excellent in just one year, which tells me you have no idea how the system really works".

EXCELLENT IN ONE YEAR? HELL, I'D BE HAPPY WITH SATISFACTORY IN THE NEXT TEN YEARS. THE MIDD. SCHOOLS HAVE BEEN LOCKED IN CONTINUAL IMP. FOR YEARS WITH YEARS IN ACADEMIC WATCH. THE SCHOOL RATING SYSTEM HAS BEEN AROUND FOR WHAT, MORE THAN A DECADE? MOST ALL OTHER DISTRICTS HAVE DONE BETTER THAN THAT. EVEN HAMILTON, SIMILAR TO MIDDLETOWN IN POVERTY AND SECTION 8, IS DOING BETTER. WHY?

"I have said it before and I will say it again, if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. You, VietVet, are not helping and I truly believe you don't really want to".

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO HELP? KEEP IN MIND I HAVE A LIMITED SCHEDULE. I GO TO WORK AT 5AM AND COME HOME AT 4:30PM. JUMP OUT OF THE CAR, WHICH MY SON TAKES TO WORK IN HAMILTON UNTIL 2AM, IMMEDIATELY START CAREGIVING MY WIFE WITH A STROKE UNTIL SLEEP TIME AT 9:30PM. THEN JUMP BACK IN AT 5AM AND DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN. I AM AVAILABLE AFTER 4:30PM ON TUES, WEDS AND ALL DAY SUNDAY WHEN MY SON CAN WATCH HER. THAT'S MY AVAILABLE TIME. COULD I HELP YOU THEN?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by sickofthebull sickofthebull wrote:

While sitting here thinking about your last post, I realized I failed to respond to the calculus issue you had. You stated you "didn't know where to start". Imagine that for an 8, 9 or 10 (or older) year old who can't read and comprehend simple sight words. Have you ever even looked at the tests these students take? I am not saying they are extremely difficult, but for a struggling child I can only imagine what it must be like inside their heads trying to make head or tails of them. We set them up for failure every single year and it just plain...I will just say it...SUCKS...

Now that you have identified the problems, is there any support from the teachers to confront the administration and all head to Columbus with your plight? Have you tried getting other districts to join you as it would appear you all have the same problem? Or, has that already been tried and they won't listen to you? Do you need more people in the community to come to the schools to help teach reading? If so, was the suggestions well-received by the school admin and board?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 6:01pm
hey sickofit---
While out cleaning up my property today, I found a copy of the MAA American Mathematics Competition's 63rd annual American Mathematics Contest 12 A from 2/7/12

I was pretty good at math in my youth, however this test is mostly beyond me.
If I post my answers, could you(or someone else) give me my score?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2012 at 6:45am
Looks as if the teachers will receive a new method of evaluation...

Today's Journal....

Initiative will change teacher evaluations
Middletown part of the prototype for new evaluation system

With increased public interest in school accountability, area school districts are trying to come up with ways to adjust their teacher evaluation plans to keep up with changing state laws.

But there’s a growing sentiment among state and federal legislators, school administrators and the general public that a simple up or down rating isn’t sufficient, especially with a growing sentiment that teachers, like workers in the private sector, should have some if not all of their pay based on how good a job they’re doing.

IMAGINE THAT. AN EVALUATION BASED ON CONTRIBUTIONS AND MERIT. BEEN THAT WAY IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR FOR DECADES.

When a Middletown teacher is up for an evaluation, an administrator will have at least three formal observations of 20 to 40 minutes in length to go along with 3-to-5-minute unscheduled walkthroughs.

Teachers also are observed in how they interact with parents and students, with the entire process — which is capped off with a final evaluation — revolving around “goal setting,” Rasmussen said.

THAT'S GREAT RASMUSSEN. BUT WHO EVALUATES THE ADMINISTRATOR WHO DOES THE EVALUATIONS OF THE TEACHERS AND HOW ARE THE ADMINISTRATORS QUALIFIED TO DO THE EVALUATIONS IN THE FIRST PLACE? WHAT HAPPENS IF THE ADMINISTRATOR DISLIKES THE TEACHER? IMO, PERHAPS WE NEED AN EX-CEO FROM THE PRIVATE SECTOR RUNNING THE SCHOOLS, NOT ONE WHO HAS BEEN TRAINED IN THE EDUCATIONAL FIELD. TOO MUCH BIAS IN HAVING SCHOOL SUPERINTENDENTS RUNNING THE SHOW. HAVING A PERSON FROM THE PRIVATE SECTOR WOULD ELIMINATE THE "ARTISTS FROM JUDGING THEIR OWN PAINTINGS" AND MAY ADD A DIFFERENT APPROACH TO HOW THE SCHOOLS ARE SET UP, ALLOWING FOR THE EDUCATIONAL DIRECTION/EMPHASIS/COMMUNITY TO BE TIED MORE CLOSELY WITH THE WORKING WORLD. RIGHT NOW, THERE APPEARS TO BE A GAP BETWEEN HOW THE SCHOOLS ARE RUN AND THE END PRODUCT NEEDED FROM THEM BY THE WORKING WORLD. JMO
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2012 at 10:26am

Over the past years I have read thousands of articles about No Child Let Behind but we never seem to have a discussion about the other end of this spectrum. What has been happening to the 1% of the student population with a high IQ? What percentage of the educational budget is being spent on these students? What happens to these students if their parents can’t afford to remove them from dumb-down public schools to send them to private schools?
    We need to give each child a laptop and do more on-line learning so each student can learn at their own pace. This would also allow us to have a 12 month school year.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2012 at 10:32am
seems likr the middietown school system is moving in the right direction finally.
our new super observed the situation, and along with staff has designed a plan to move us forward at a much faster pace that we have experiencwd prior.

The elementary level schools that I have visited seemed very-well organized, and the young students seem to accept/follow the staff in an impressive manner. To me--the tough issue seems to be re-gainng discipline, order ans standards in the middle schools and mhs.

Have not been in the middle schools, but have family there--the stories are not good.  I do get in to mhs occasionally over the last few years. Facility seems in great shape.  Been in there in the morning--lunchtime--and after classes.
The students' attitude, social skills, dress and behavior are for the most part appalling. The "good kids" that are presentable , mannerly and disciplined suffer because of the image made by students wo make a terrible impression on visitors.

Dress code needs to be seriously improved.
Hallroom behavior needs to be strictly monitored.
cellphones, texting and mp3s need to be off and restricted during classroom time.

I would have serious thoughts as to whether I would send children to the upper grades within the system.
I believe that great educational opportunity is there for those who work towards that part of the hs experience, however I don't like the overalldemeanor of what is currently acceptable/tolerated behavior.

jmo
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2012 at 12:03pm
....and the Super wonders why students start fleeing after elementary.  Yes, we know there is some good programming at MHS and opportunities that may not be available at some schools.  But what good is it if you have to swim upstream against a wave of low-class miscreants and outlaws in order to get to these classes?
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2012 at 3:58pm
Spider, have you been to the high school this year? there is a new principal and new procedures in place. Much calmer environment.  Also, curious whether you have been in any other public high schools during school hours? What you find appalling may just be "kids these days."  When I am at MHS, I see kids wearing sloppy clothes that I would not let my own kids wear to school, but I do not see unruly or dangerous behavior in the halls.

Bill, my 3 kids attend MHS. They are "good kids" who don't get into trouble and wear clothes that even Spider would find acceptable. They don't feel like they have to "swim upstream against a wave of low-class miscreants and outlaws in order to get to these classes."  They actually like the diversity amongst their friends. They may be poor and some of their parents failed to teach them manners, but its a little harsh to label the majority of them as miscreants and outlaws, or as "low-class," whatever you mean by that. 

Marcia Andrew
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2012 at 4:44pm
For what its worth, I think this new school board and admin are doing a good job working with what they are dealt yearly. From both the moms and dads to the state.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic