FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smoking Ban

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smoking Ban
    Posted: Jun 25 2008 at 8:04am
Driving home yesterday, listening to 700 WLW.Tracy Jones had a State Senator from Ashtabula on, who is sponsoring a bill that will ban smoking in YOUR home if there are children present. The bill states that you may smoke in your home if there are no kids in the house. Currently, California has a law that bans smoking in YOUR car and is considering the home too. Now, I thought that we were in an era where there is suppose to be less government intrusion under the current administration. Seems to me that the opposite is occuring and we are more scrutinized today than ever before. IMO, when the city, state or federal government agrees to make my car or house payment, they can tell me what to do in either. To me, this is similar to the seatbelt law. First,big brother "encouraged" you to use your seat belts in YOUR car. Then, they "warned" you to use them. Now, they'll fine you if you don't wear them. What's next, a public hanging? No more government-big brother intrusion in people's lives in situations that affect the well-being of that person only. Seat belt and smoking decisions still need to be made by individuals, especially if the individual has worked for and owns the environment in which the activity occurs. The last straw for me is if they eliminate my freedom in my own home.The seat belt law took it over the top for me as to government intrusion.
.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2008 at 10:06am

The problem is each year the idiot who promises the most "government intrusion" gets the most votes. But you see they don't call it that. They call it assistance, regulation, necessary oversight, and some have even gained office on the promise of being "A kindler gentler leader".

When we elect those who promise to do the most for us we should not be surprised when they do the most to us.

arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2008 at 3:44pm

I noticed a new blog post today from the President of the local Eagles.

Like many others have been saying would happen all along he spells out how this law HAS hurt their ability to generate income which in turn hampers their ability to contribute to local charities.

You can find that blog post on www.billschiering.com and it is entitled “The Ohio Smoking Ban Needs To Be Revised

The Resident View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Resident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2008 at 11:18am

The summary description of the Smoking Ban Legislation that was on the ballot and the voters approved contained “Private Clubs would be exempt”.  The fine print in the entire legislation, the part that did not make it on the summary description on the ballot, reads “private clubs would be exempt if they have non-paid employees”.

So in the immortal words of The Captain “What we have here is a failure to communicate”

In essence, a part of the voting public that voted for the ban thought that their private clubs would be exempt from this law.  The 3 Senators, Cates, Seitz and Schuler are willing to right this wrong.  They are not trying to take fundamental rights away from non-smokers, they are not trying to repeal the smoking ban ordinance, they are simply trying to restore the rights of smokers and private business owners who were mislead at the polls by the way this legislation was presented by the summary description on the ballot. They deserve a big hand of applause for standing up for the rights of all of their constituents, especially on such a controversial issue such as smoking.

I am the President of Middletown Eagles Aerie# 528.  We have complied with the smoking ban.  We built a smoking area outside of our club, we forced our smoking members outside to smoke all winter.  We lost many members to other private clubs that did not comply with the law.  We did not see ANY upturn of business from the non-smoking members who were supposed to flock to a smoke free environment.  All we have seen from the smoking ban, is a loss of revenue, loss of members and our employees have seen their hours cut because of the lack of business. 

There comes a time when the good intentions of our Legislators need to be reviewed and corrected.  That is why the laws that govern the State of Ohio are called “The Ohio Revised Code”.  This law needs revision and it needs it now. 

It does not matter what the issue is, If we as citizens allow the Legislators to summarize a pending law one way on the ballot, and the true meaning of the law is contradictory to the summary presented to the voting masses, we are truly and deeply in trouble.

.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2008 at 12:32pm
Good luck Resident. I agree we got the shaft on this law.
Bwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2008 at 11:06am
Do you support the smoking ban?

Yes 75.10% 30231
No 24.90% 10023
That is a poll that is up on the Middletown Journal right now.
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2008 at 3:34pm
I agree with Resident. Sometime rules are so rigid they don't make sense for every situation. Yet the ignorant want to pound the public into submission, just to prove they are in charge.

From Resident: It does not matter what the issue is, If we as citizens allow the Legislators to summarize a pending law one way on the ballot, and the true meaning of the law is contradictory to the summary presented to the voting masses, we are truly and deeply in trouble.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic