FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Position Created In City Government

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Position Created In City Government
    Posted: Jul 01 2008 at 7:10am
Journal- July 1-Front page- A new position of " Economic Development Program Manager" is going to be created to the tune of $54,000/year including benefits.Does the city budget allow for this position? Where did the money come from? If you can find money for this, why can't you find money for the streets? I thought we were hurting for money??? Wonder what this position will do that Bill Murphy can't do? Will this position require an administrative assistant also? I thought that Gilleland was going to take a look at city government and streamline it. This, to me, usually means reducing the deadwood and redundant jobs that can be split up and absorbed by other workers.Why, if the city says they have no extra monies, are they creating new positions? Murphy's activities, other than traveling to Las Vegas, working on the new coke plant and obtaining a few low paying jobs for the city, doesn't appear to be that overwhelming, that he has to have additional help. Is he really that busy to warrant another position like this? I guess this means that we can expect an "assistant program manager" and a "team leader" of program management in the near future.Nothing like developing top heavy city positions, is there Ms. Gilleland? The economic development department is looking more like the public works department everyday with it's 3 managers to 5 workers ratio. Another city blunder to add to the many.
HereIam View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HereIam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2008 at 11:31am
Didn't the City have an Economic Development Director (Larry Wood) whose position was eliminated?  Is just a reinstatement of the positioin.  If so why did they do away with it in the first place?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2008 at 7:40am
Correction- Journal article- new position of Econ. Devel. Program Manager will pay $83,000 with benefits, not the $54,000 that was reported in the Journal on July 1. Ms. Gilleland says that the position is "required to help in economic development". OK, then what's Bill Murphy doing as Director of Econ Devel.??? Is he so busy that he needs help? NONSENSE!!!!Not with the part time activity that he's shown us. No, Ms. Gilleland- LESS hierarchy, not more! DOWNSIZE these high paying positions, don't create more of them! MERCY!!! What is the matter with these people?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2008 at 7:43am
Yes , Larry Wood was involved with economic development at one time. But ole Larry didn't do such a good job, you see, so he went the way of the dinosaur and became extinct.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2008 at 9:06am
Thats $54,000.00 plus $27,000.00 in benefits from what I saw last night.
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2008 at 1:39pm
If the new position brought in 100K per year in additiional tax revenue, would that work economically? I believe so. Because not only would the city benefit, but so would local businesses such as restaurants and downtown merchants.

Every new business brought to town, increases the economy. So even if we didn't have the budget, I would be infavor. Additional tax revenue from new business is much better than a tax increase. The city has to get money somehow. I would try some salesmanship.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2008 at 3:08pm
That's fine Jonathan, but when was the last time the economic development department in this city brought in enough businessess to generate 100K/ year in additional revenue? What companies came into town that employed enough people to enable the city to collect that amount of tax revenue? I can only recall a few instances when it was announced that there would be a few jobs created at an existing company or two. Quaker Chemical comes to mind with the addition of 30 more jobs at $12 to $15 per hour for salary. I believe. That's about it. Is that enough revenue generation to make a difference? Don't know. Just asking.In the meantime, the new job is going to cost the city $83,000/year. If the city gains $100,000/year in revenue, the city nets $17,000/year. If so, I wouldn't call that awe inspiring. Are we sure that Murphy is that busy on a day to day basis? What has he produced so far for the city in job opportunities and how much revenue have those jobs created for the city? After we find out the answer, we'll know if this new position is needed. Just because Gilleland says its needed, doesn't make it so. The public should be shown why its needed before they act on it. This doesn't look good when city hall claims they have no money to operate, then, creates another high paying layer of management to shuffle papers.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2008 at 5:15pm

I believe the newly proposed position is meant to deal mostly with existing job retention.

Of course that could change, or I could be wrong.

Thanks to Ms.Scott Jones for not being bullied last night.
Schiavone--took a reasonable stand for the public and held his ground. Made good points about other viable options
Ford--as usual took no stand at all other than to blindly support the dark side. must go
Becker--was obviously disappointed, but made good comments and accepted the proper conclusion with dignity. A good man who must show more courtesy to differing points of view.
Mulligan--has a hard time taking a firm stance. Can't control citizen comments, and can barely lead a meeting outside of Roberts rules and parliamentary procedure. Has a world of potential, though not encouraging so far.
Marconi--changes positions daily, as is his perogative. refuses to accept any option except increased taxation. Will listen to anyone respectfully.
Scott Jones--the gem of this Council. We need to find more like her QUICKLY. Refuses to be intimidated or sit silent to bad/misleading information/direction
Armbruster--took a stand and held it against pressure. Didn't speak particularly well last night, but understands the citizen/business points of view.

City admin re-structuring is good. Power shifting and changes in control will be very good. Still need to downsize. Ms.G is a huge + to the city, imo. Needs public support to conquer the dark siders. We must step up to show that support through the net, the underground, the newspaper(what is left of it) and various meeting and hearings.

It comes down to every one of us standing up to support positive change and constructive citizen inclusion.

We need substantial jobs influx and retention of existing businesses.
Granting tax abatements to companies already making hundreds of millions annually, is hard to swallow when lifetime local contributors with struggling businesses are being pushed to give even more(at a time when they have nothing extra to give). A tough situation for every perspective. I dunno.
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2008 at 5:16pm
Well Pacnational and Paychex are a start. Who knows what medical companies will be attracted to the hospital campus. Job 1 is to market the area. Can't do that without people beating the street, ringing the phones and making connections.

I am a free market capitalist, taxes are against my religion. So we better get to work. And you to, every good word posted here will be pinged to the blogosphere. So help get the good word out on the internet too.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2008 at 6:07pm
"I am a free market capitalist, taxes are against my religion." 
Jonathan you are most definitely in the wrong state for taxes.  They should rename Ohio to OtaxO.LOL

Just to show you where Ohio was and where they have gone as far as taxes are concerned:

John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2008 at 3:57pm
Otaxo - now that's funny.

Guess Jonathan is in the wrong state.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2008 at 2:04pm
City needs to concentrate on their long-term obligations such as infrastructure and Public Works/Public Safety. Everything else must be put on a temporary hold. City must also  streamline(downsize) Administration while increasing responsibilities for existing(or eventual remaining) manpower. They must forget about everything else until a stronger tax base is established through job creation(large and small).

Salaries and bennies have been increased 10% over the next three years. That mission has been accomplished, and the additional Public Safety tax levy $$$ freed up funds to pay for the others(but for only five years). Time to concentrate on effective  and $$ efficient performance. No Council elections for 18 months, so the existing crew must continue to jell and stay focused on basics.

Cities/schools are being forced to downsize nationwide. We are hardly an exception. The midwest industrial base is being hit particularly hard. Economic development is a circulatory priority. Tough to draw to our depressed community, but the job must be accomplished.  Admin re-organization is due. Others must be given the opportunity to make decisions differently and steward the programs/funding.

Alternatives to taxation must be found. There honestly isn't enough discretionary income in this community left to tax. The subcommittees should be turned in this direction, with a much larger % of meaningful citizen involvement. Less municipal attendance other than to listen and implement. It is the citizens who will eventually make the decisions, and govt./admin who shall be charged with carrying out the will of the public.

The cycle of growing, generational expected bureaucratic assistance/dependence must be reversed towards a trend of proud self-sufficiency and independance. The few "providers" left in our community no longer have the successful businesses and fat wallets of the past to provide for the many needy organizations and population. Plus, they are also out-numbered at this time. You obviously can't have the now greater % of needy counting on the increasingly smaller % of willing and possible benefactors. The old list of corporate benevolents has disappeared.

Tax abatements(if given wisely) must be in conjunction with companion interaction with existing businesses(large and small) to work towards business/job growth in EVERY sector of our city. The east end "management approach seems to be floundering. Town Mall is fading very fast. The medical profession satellite businesses to the Atrium have been VERY slow to materialize. Are we really happy with the progress so far?

Do we have the only major I-75 exit where you can't even get off to find a gas station in any direction? Unbelievable!

Am I wrong?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic