FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adkins vs. landlords

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 12:49pm
I "WONT" register my houses.I dont care what they pass.My renters our good renters and I have never been draged in the "KANGAROO" court they hold down at the city building.I dont tell them how to run there Section 8 housing so why should I allow them to stick there nose into my houses?Wink
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Bocephus Bocephus wrote:

Nothing like seeing a house on your street that some slumlord paid pennies of its worth for witha huge banner that says "SECTION 8 RENTAL" on it. I think these people should be held more responsible for their tenants,all they care about is if someone can pay them the rent so they can buy up more and more foreclosed houses to rent.

I know how you feel, but they're generally not getting these properties for one penny less than they're worth.  In a lot of cases these properties are offered to owner occupants first, and when no one bites they're offered to investors and a bidding war usually ensues.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by TudorBrown TudorBrown wrote:

Nothing like seeing a house on your street that some slumlord paid pennies of its worth for witha huge banner that says "SECTION 8 RENTAL" on it. I think these people should be held more responsible for their tenants,all they care about is if someone can pay them the rent so they can buy up more and more foreclosed houses to rent.

I know how you feel, but they're generally not getting these properties for one penny less than they're worth.  In a lot of cases these properties are offered to owner occupants first, and when no one bites they're offered to investors and a bidding war usually ensues.

How would some of these "landlords" like it if scum bags started moving in all around them with loud music and drunks outside all summer long and watching people go in and out of the house next door to you all day and part of the night ? Then come tell us how what you think of it? Oh no you wont see it because they live in nicer areas where they dont have any section 8.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 7:32pm

How would some of these "landlords" like it if scum bags started moving in all around them with loud music and drunks outside all summer long and watching people go in and out of the house next door to you all day and part of the night ? Then come tell us how what you think of it? Oh no you wont see it because they live in nicer areas where they dont have any section 8.

Shouldn't you be placing blame on the section 8 program, and government than?

The landlords would be fools not to take advantage of section 8 money as long as it is available.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 7:40pm

Shouldn't you be placing blame on the section 8 program, and government than?

The landlords would be fools not to take advantage of section 8 money as long as it is available.

So if I win the lottery or become suddenly rich I will just buy a few houses that are being forclosed on in a few neighborhoods that are more expensive and rent them out for cheap to extra large families that other wise couldn't afford it ? I think that would be fair LOLLOLLOL and yes I would make sure that I bought a few by our great city leaders too.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 8:03pm

Already have a couple that lives like 3 doors down from my renters.Of course they are both on Section 8.Renters mentioned to me MPD ought to put a sub station close by cos there at one or the other everyday.Smile
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 9:15am
I agree. Why are the landlords so upset? If they do what they are supposed to do, the expense to them is only $25 per property. A reputable landlord shouldn't have an issue with this.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 10:30am
Rather ironic the city doesn't wish to comply with HUD and NSP guidelines and diverst fed money to areas not entitled, but over-regulates the landlords. It isn't 25.00/ property, its 25.00 per unit, including the tendants, so they can also try to collect tax revenue.

Middletown just wants the cash, nothing else. Adkins already building an empire, he needs to be put in check, and his reign pulled back. Adding more staff for his span of control doesn't provide a reason for this greatly over-reaching effort disguised to control Section 8 and housing. What happened to all the effort he made a few years ago to give other cities and the residents credit to take their voucher elsewhere? Neither the tenant nor the cities wanted them----period.

Quit blaming those in need. It isn't Section 8 people who are deplorable, its the city that has used them for the 10% processing fee the city earms $ Mm on annually, and that is why Section 8 is going noweher. This other over-zealous regulatory attempt is nothing but an attempt to grow the cash cow to a richer cash cow. It has nothing to do with eliminating it. Sorry sj, disagree with Adkins motives, and know this city too well to ever believe there is a strategic thrust behind this. There isn't other than making more $$$ for the Mm $$$ from the processing fee city takes.

And you wonder why there aren't buyers for homes in Middletown? Its called city council, city leadership, feed the beast, and taxes, taxes, taxes. 
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 9:35pm
greygoose,

It never seems unreasonable when it's someone else's money!!! If they get away with this, next they'll want the property owners to pay to pave their street; oh, wait; they already have done that!
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 9:59pm
acclaro,

Although I am not necessarily in agreement with your conclusions, your post was very informative. However, can you further explain your claim that the city doesn't wish to comply with HUD and NSP guidlines? As a landlord, I have seen a concerted effort in recent months to better comply with HUD regulations. The MPHA inspections are more stringent than they have ever been. In addition, I have a personal friend that is involved with Middletown's NSP efforts and I am told that the city is following the guidelines "strictly by the book". Can you provide some detail to support your HUD/NSP related statement?

In conclusion, I agree that the historical decisions of our city government has left much to be desired. However, is it fair to hold current administrators accountable for the mistakes of their predecessors? If anything, the prior mistakes make their jobs more difficult. In my opinion, they deserve the benefit of a doubt until their decisions and/or policies are "proven" wrong.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 10:21pm
Speaking of NSP, where has Nelson Self gone? 
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 10:31pm
TonyB,

Based on the videos that I have watched, the articles that I have read, and the many questions that I have asked on this subject, the primary "driver" behind the registration concept is to gain the legal tools needed to hold "out of town" property owners (including banks) accountable for their vacant and rental properties. Without the registration process, the city doesn't have the legal leverage it needs to serve notice on these irresponsible property owners. The city is losing a huge amount in potential tax revenues and doesn't, at this time, have the legal means to do anything about it. I have heard the argument that we landlords are already required to register our properties with the county, but if you check into it, you will discover that only 1 in about every 7 rental properties is actually registered. Constitutionally, you can't single out only "out of town" property owners to comply with the regulations, thus the requirement falls on all of us. As a "local" landlord, I recognize that this new regulation will cost me money, but I feel that it is a small price to pay if it allows the city to take control of the blighted properties that are so prevalent in our community. If Mr. Adkins' strategy is correct (and I think that it is), both the city and its responsible landlords win!
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 11:31pm
greygoose,

That is an interesting premise and I really have only one question about it;  are there no laws currently on the books that hold irresponsible landlords accountable? Your statement seems to imply that there are not. If only one in seven currently register with the county, how do you expect that the city will do better? Does the county have any recourse to compel landlords to register? Is the city going to seize property from those who don't comply? Once again, where is the balance between government regulation and private property ownership? Responsible citizenship is in everyone's best interest; how are you going to compel individuals to be responsible?
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 11:31am
TonyB,

There are laws in place. The problem is that the city can't utilize them because that can't "serve" out of town landlords (code violations) or banks (foreclosed, vacant, properties). The proposed registration is the "tool" that they need to force these land owners (including banks) to be responsible and maintain their properties.

If the landowner refuses to register, the proposed ordinance will allow the city to impose penalties for non-compliance. If the penalties are ignored and become deliquent, the city can lien the property. After a period of time and due diligence has been followed, the city will have the ability to seize the property.

The "idea" of government seizing someone elses property doesn't sound right on the surface, but, in my opinion, it protects those of us that are complying with housing codes, and are paying our taxes. It's offensive to me to know that large, out of town banks can and are skirting the local ordinances and are getting away with it. It is also offensive to think that an out of state landlord can ignore the rules that we have to play by. As you stated, "responsible citizenship is in everyone's best interest". This is the city's way of compeling individuals (and banks) to be responsible.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 4:03pm

So if I win the lottery or become suddenly rich I will just buy a few houses that are being forclosed on in a few neighborhoods that are more expensive and rent them out for cheap to extra large families that other wise couldn't afford it ? I think that would be fair LOLLOLLOL and yes I would make sure that I bought a few by our great city leaders too.

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic