FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LAND BANKING

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2012 at 3:03pm
GG...Having lived in Middletown for 25 years, I know few if any city leadership cares at all about ROI for its citizens. They care about ROI on investments and FTE's, including escalation of span of control, and the second, and third dip after retirement. If I understand your point, perhaps it is totally acceptable to move funds from grants into the General Fund, as long s the accountability is there within the GF as to how much of the funds came from th fed source. I assume unless the city wants to unravel a qui tam claim, there is an audit trail.

Basing a strategy upon how much money you can gain from matching funds shows weakness in the city's economic development engine. That is Middletown's biggest problem, it relied TOO MUCH on state and federal subsidies, grants, and its recruitment efforts, as it has limited success or commercial development and retention. I see no benefit of an ROI on MOF, other than the city leveraging hand-outs that progressive cities pass. As this council is so stack ranked with the MMF agenda, undoubtedly the Main Street focus will pass.

As you do research, would you be able to provide a number as to how many streets were paved by the residents voting 60% to pass a vote to have the city pay for it? I understand the capital equipment is terribly underutilized and no street by vote, has been paved since the city began the process. I disagree with your assessment this has been a "clean up" council, other than HUD funds and deploying in targeted captive "markets."

acclaro,

I appreciate your thoughts concerning the city’s leadership. It may be naiveté; I just have a hard time grasping the concept that a council person’s primary focus would be on such things. This thought process is probably what gets me into so much trouble in this forum. With time, and continued effort, the picture will start to come into focus one way or the other (I didn’t hear anybody disagree with my assessment of Mr. Kohler).

I 100% agree that basing your economic development strategy on matching funds shows weakness. However, it is no secret that our city is in a weak position. I am a big fan of leverage…….without it, I doubt that we will be alive to see a recovery of any significance. I liked Bill’s analogy of 2 for 1 “ding dongs & yoo-hoos” but, it is no secret that I support the demolition of blighted properties as one of the more important strategies in “turning things around” and if we can leverage that process, I’ll support it.

Again, I understand and agree with your “general” opposition to government handouts as they often come with a price. Middletown became addicted to these subsidies and is paying a high price for it today. If I saw this program as adding to the problems, I would oppose it……. But I don’t.

I do not think that this is a “clean up” council but, at this point in time, I think that the administrative side is doing a better than average job (remember guys, I’m entitled to that opinion).

GG

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got"
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2012 at 3:13pm
Leverage is a good thing.

Poor use of it is a bad thing.

This use is a good thing.

GG
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2012 at 3:37pm
Bill, the city created a diabetic, too much sugar and starch.
One would think the proper ROI focus would be on the value obtained from taxes, payroll and property. Again, you are spot on with your assessment. A progressive, well balanced, community would ignore such subsidies and focus on real value that would be created with rising property values, increased corporate taxes and rising income taxes. That is not the town we live in and it won’t be until some major changes take place. In my personal opinion, this town is going nowhere until it gets a handle on its poverty issue. The roads and sewer systems could be lined with gold and you still would not see economic growth because of the multitude of problems cause by high poverty levels. Until poverty issues are addressed in a significant manner, this town is going nowhere. But evidently in Middletown, its measured on how much can be gained from the free match from state and fed. Well no wonder everyone wants a new school or two...its the matching grant! The city is trained like Pavlow's dog, it begins to salivate with "matching" grant syndrome Lets pave a bike path, we get a 3X uplift in expend with state and fed funding. No wonder they never bothered with the streets for so long. It wasn't tied to the "matching" grant. Lets pave the MIDDLETOWN exit in gold---it only cost $500,000 but we get 2X from our waste, rather, investment. What a model to follow. How about planting corn in those "brownfields". The city can get "matching" funds associated with ethanol production. Again, I disagree…… leverage combined with smart decision making is Middletown’s way out of the mess that they are in. As Ms. Viv says…. “I just don’t get it”, but in this case, “I’m damn sure that I’m right”.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2012 at 4:10pm
GG...one must first make an analysis of what came first the goose or the golden egg, or rather, poverty from lack of jobs, or imported poverty (ergo Section 8). Undeniably, Middletown's poverty is home grown, is an outcome of decline in wealth, deteriation, and subsequent poverty. It is not imported, which a few may espouse attributed through Section 8. That is, have vouchers, and they will come. The poverty was here, not imported. Hence, to purge poverty, one must create an economy that thrives. Middletown is simply not moving in that direction fast enough, nor competitively with surrounding areas.

You speak of leverage. Leverage is a wonderful tangible to utilize. But its use is based upon an asset, and the asset must be one that has value, which in turn, can be leveraged. Strength provides leverage, location provides leverage, a strong community provides leverage. I see Middletown having little leverage that is a unique differentiator. Fed handouts are fed handouts, to help those whom have no leverage, therefore, the matching funds, bonuses, money to help clean up an area, or support poverty ridden communities. I simply disagree that is using leverage, as there is no leverage. The lack of leverage provides funds based upon being an under-performer, the under-achiever, to help get out of the ditch.

If you think providing another institution to help educate the poverty riden with an Associates Degree is a way out for the city, ad its populance, we then have vastly differing views on "smart decisions" which have lasting ramifications.

I find it ironic, but compliments to your tempered approach, your tag line is if one does what they always did, you always get what you got, ergo- the same results. Yet, you compliment the city doing the same thing it has tried repeatedly. I believe it to be said said insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly, and expecting a differing outcome. I vision replication, you see progress. One may take exception with the accuracy associated with what defines "right."  
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2012 at 5:39pm
Ok greygoose, I'm puzzled concerning some of your comments.....

In one post at 3:03 PM today, you state that the "administrative side of the city govenment is doing a better than average job" or something to that effect.

Now, in your post at 3:37PM, you state....

A progressive, well balanced, community would ignore such subsidies and focus on real value that would be created with rising property values, increased corporate taxes and rising income taxes. That is not the town we live in and it won’t be until some major changes take place. In my personal opinion, this town is going nowhere until it gets a handle on its poverty issue. The roads and sewer systems could be lined with gold and you still would not see economic growth because of the multitude of problems cause by high poverty levels. Until poverty issues are addressed in a significant manner, this town is going nowhere

THIS IS AN INDICTMENT ON THE PERFORMANCE OF THE CITY GOVERNMENT AND IT'S DECISIONS AND AN ENDORSEMENT OF THEIR INABILITY TO GUIDE THIS CITY......THE SAME CITY GOVERNMENT YOU SAID WAS DOING A "BETTER THAN AVERAGE JOB". WHICH IS IT?

You also state in one of your posts....

"Again, I understand and agree with your “general” opposition to government handouts as they often come with a price. Middletown became addicted to these subsidies and is paying a high price for it today. If I saw this program as adding to the problems, I would oppose it……. But I don’t"

YOU DON'T THINK THE GOVERNMENT HANDOUT PROGRAM OF SECTION 8 IS ADDING TO THE PROBLEMS OF THIS CITY? SECTION 8 HAS ALREADY RAMPED UP THE POLICE ACTIVITY AS IT HAS ATTRACTED OUTSIDE INFLUENCES WHO COME AND VISIT THEIR HANDOUT BUDDIES IN THE DESIGNATED SECTION 8 AREAS OF TOWN. ANY HANDOUT PROGRAM IS A MAGNET FOR ATTRACTING SOME...SOME PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO LAZY TO WORK AND EARN A LIVING LIKE THE REST OF US MUST DO. IT BREEDS COMPLACENCY, CREATES LIFELONG DEPENDANT "HANDOUT CRIMINALS", INCREASES CRIME AND BRINGS TO TOWN OTHER SOCIAL ILLS THIS TOWN CAN NOT AFFORD TO HAVE IN THE CONDITION IT IS IN. THE LAST THING THIS TOWN NEEDS IS MORE LOW INCOME, DEPENDENT POVERTY-STRICKEN PEOPLE. HAVE TOO MANY NOW FOR A TOWN THIS SIZE. HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE THAT THIS IS ADDING TO THE PROBLEMS? WE NEED MORE WEALTH IN TOWN TO OFFSET THE DAM POVERTY. NOT GOING TO GET IT WITH GHETTO CREATION AS A THEME FROM CITY LEADERS.
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2012 at 6:05pm
acclaro,

We can agree to disagree but I'm very interested in knowing what you think "current" city leaders should be doing to turn things around in "Middletown". My question isn't about how we got to where we are but, rather, what specific steps should current city leaders be taking to make Middletown relevant again. I'm not talking theory based on an ideal community. I'm talking Middletown in it's current condition. I would really appreciate your thoughts.

I thought of my signature phrase while posting earlier today. I don't think that it applies because I don't see the negative "strings attached" to this subsidy. But it did come to mind.

GG
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2012 at 6:56pm
Ok greygoose, I'm puzzled concerning some of your comments.....

In one post at 3:03 PM today, you state that the "administrative side of the city govenment is doing a better than average job" or something to that effect.

Now, in your post at 3:37PM, you state....

A progressive, well balanced, community would ignore such subsidies and focus on real value that would be created with rising property values, increased corporate taxes and rising income taxes. That is not the town we live in and it won’t be until some major changes take place. In my personal opinion, this town is going nowhere until it gets a handle on its poverty issue. The roads and sewer systems could be lined with gold and you still would not see economic growth because of the multitude of problems cause by high poverty levels. Until poverty issues are addressed in a significant manner, this town is going nowhere

THIS IS AN INDICTMENT ON THE PERFORMANCE OF THE CITY GOVERNMENT AND IT'S DECISIONS AND AN ENDORSEMENT OF THEIR INABILITY TO GUIDE THIS CITY......THE SAME CITY GOVERNMENT YOU SAID WAS DOING A "BETTER THAN AVERAGE JOB". WHICH IS IT?

Let me be clearer in my statements. I am in 100% agreement that this city has been poorly managed for a very long time. I’m just not indicting the “current” administrative leaders for the mistakes of the past. At this moment in time, my positive endorsement is limited to the administrative side of our government; specifically the City Manager and the Director of Community Revitalization. In my opinion, their job performance is above the norm and is being performed in difficult circumstances. I stated earlier, that I think Mr. Kohler has been very damaging to the city.

You also state in one of your posts....

"Again, I understand and agree with your “general” opposition to government handouts as they often come with a price. Middletown became addicted to these subsidies and is paying a high price for it today. If I saw this program as adding to the problems, I would oppose it……. But I don’t"

YOU DON'T THINK THE GOVERNMENT HANDOUT PROGRAM OF SECTION 8 IS ADDING TO THE PROBLEMS OF THIS CITY? SECTION 8 HAS ALREADY RAMPED UP THE POLICE ACTIVITY AS IT HAS ATTRACTED OUTSIDE INFLUENCES WHO COME AND VISIT THEIR HANDOUT BUDDIES IN THE DESIGNATED SECTION 8 AREAS OF TOWN. ANY HANDOUT PROGRAM IS A MAGNET FOR ATTRACTING SOME...SOME PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO LAZY TO WORK AND EARN A LIVING LIKE THE REST OF US MUST DO. IT BREEDS COMPLACENCY, CREATES LIFELONG DEPENDANT "HANDOUT CRIMINALS", INCREASES CRIME AND BRINGS TO TOWN OTHER SOCIAL ILLS THIS TOWN CAN NOT AFFORD TO HAVE IN THE CONDITION IT IS IN. THE LAST THING THIS TOWN NEEDS IS MORE LOW INCOME, DEPENDENT POVERTY-STRICKEN PEOPLE. HAVE TOO MANY NOW FOR A TOWN THIS SIZE. HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE THAT THIS IS ADDING TO THE PROBLEMS? WE NEED MORE WEALTH IN TOWN TO OFFSET THE DAM POVERTY. NOT GOING TO GET IT WITH GHETTO CREATION AS A THEME FROM CITY LEADERS.

Again, let me clear things up. I couldn’t agree more with your statements, above. If you re-read my post, you will see that that I think our city’s high poverty is the biggest obstacle that we must overcome in our journey back to relevance and prosperity. What I was supporting was the “Moving Ohio Forward” program, specifically, because it does not come with the negative consequences like the Section 8 voucher growth did. Your statements, above, are why I have formed the opinion of Mr. Kohler that I have.

On a separate note, I want to say that I am very conflicted concerning the senior citizens dilemma. Typically, I am about being responsible for your actions and being accountable if you make poor decisions. However, the poor decision was made by a very small minority and the effects will potentially be felt by a large number of seniors. I don’t believe in a complete bail out but I hope that there is something, in the middle, that can be accomplished.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2012 at 7:09pm
GG---where to begin.

Well, I start with a baseline and I get real numbers, not the hyped ones David Duritch would present at a meeting to "justify" a tax increase. The assessment must be neutral, so I would take advantage of UC's research or Miami's, of what people's perception of Middletown to be. I'd do the same with the city residents. Is their view + or - about Middletown.

By using an outside firm, I would baseline true costs for street repair and infrastructure, and then allocate a % of tax revenue collected, back into street repair that would provide a complete resurfacing in 10 years. I would span that baseline cost analysis all through the enterprise, ergo, city building, and look at every possible reduction to be found, including offlaoding FTE's as rapidly as possible, into contracted or outsourced functional positions.

Next, I would immediatey deploy an exit strategy for the ownership of assets which are non core to the city. That would be Hook Field, hanger, Weatherwax, and whatever is left that Verdin, Moormans, or the city owns. I would aggressivley look at private investors to acquire those assets. As I recall, I believe at least for Weatherwax, the city is on track to offload it once its debt is retired from capitl borrowing in a few years.

I'd do everything to drive my entire cost structure down to the bone. Then, I'd be recruiting like mad throughout Ohio and other states, for commuters to fill houses, I'd realize Middletown is 1.5 hrs from Lexington, Indianapolis, Columbus, and I would have active and aggressive plans to attack those markets with residents on the merits of buying in Middletown. It would begin on the fantastic quality of construction, to the ease of hopping on the interstate.

I'd be partnering with Carol Turner at the Atrium and proactively work to bring in Trinity Partners, Genetech, and launch a true biomed campus with commercial companies, instead of the present overload of non profit educational facilities. I would go to Indiana University, and work with their world renown proteonic research center and biotechnology campus. That's what I would fill at the Atrium.

I'd lower taxes to at least 1.5%, if not lower. I'd replace my development team with hunters, not farmers that have brought nothing to the table in years. I'd be proactively targeting companies to sell the land around the Atrium, and approach FTI Consulting's national healthcare practice in Nashville, to east end.  I'd also be working with UD, a world leader in nanotechnolgy, to bring a world class semi conductor to the Atrium Research Park, and speaking to Mark Hurd at Oracle, about moving their west coast operation here.

I'd realize downtowns die, its part of the natural ecosystem. If the Moody rating is still solid, I'd restructure my debt at long-term rates at nearly 0%. I would not support the waste of $60,000 to squeeze a tax levy in during August, and ruin the goodwill and credibility associated with these actions.

I'd be meeting with Jim Wainscott monthly, if under NDA if necessary, and I would work to snag every strategic partner/ sourcer that supplies them, with a home in Middletown. And I'd beg him not to let those R&D workers left behind paying 1.75%, while WC pays no tax.

That's Day 1, Day 2 tomorrow.                   
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2012 at 8:46pm
Wonderful concepts all, acclaro.  If only we had the hungry, sales-driven approach at a Donham Plaza to make some of these things happen.  Sadly, even if someone wanted to pursue your plan, it would be gummed up in some MMF committee being chaired by Slagle, Scorti or Pratt.  I believe we need an OUTSIDER to come into this town and evaluate what we have, do not have, and take action.  This, despite the protests of TonyB, is where a razor-sharp business mind who understands privatizing would save this city millions. 

You would think that such consultants are out there in light of the Great Recession and the multitude of municipalities that are bankrupt or heading that way.  And there may be.  But, hey, why rock the boat when you have people like Landen and Kohler so close to a cushy retirement and when you live with an artsy downtown preservationist.
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2012 at 8:48pm
acclaro,

Thank you....... I find your thoughts very interesting and look forward to what you have to say tomorrow (along with some questions).

GG
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2012 at 11:33pm

Acclaro:

With all due respect, that’s all crazy talk!

All we need to make Middletown a booming success is a renewed downtown, and that is a fact.  And all that will take is this:

1.       Give all of the property owners downtown a grant of $5,000 per frontage foot (or so) to rebuild all of the storefronts in olde tyme fashion.  (The money for this is available in the General Fund on the third Tuesday of any month, IF you can pick the correct shell after "The Wizard" shuffles them.)

2.       Fill all of the downtown properties along Central Avenue and Main Street with artsy-type stuff, including olde tyme crafts, and antique shoppes.

3.       Do accurate historic interior restorations of all of the old buildings downtown (using tax money of course).  Put special emphasis on the opera house and other performing arts venues.  (Hire Sammie to be in charge of this, at a six figure salary, of course.)

4.       Hire a maestro or two, a couple of museum curators, and some Shakespeare-in-the-Park type theatre producers, all on the city payroll, to start performing arts programs in our grand downtown venues.

5.       Hire Knight Goodman to throw out the first pitch at opening day of our “new” olde tyme baseball team, the “Middletowne Rusty-red Stocklings”.

6.       Find Professor Harold Hill to start a boys’ band.

Everyone knows that this is the ONLY approach that will work, and that it is the ONLY thing that we should try…

…again…and again…and again…and again…

(Just in case there is any doubt, ALL of the above was said with toungue in cheek--That means that I am JUST KIDDING!!!)

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2012 at 2:36am

Step right up, ladies and gentlemen, and watch the next trick!!!

You were just amazed when 1.1 MILLION DOLLARS appeared out of thin air, went into our city’s General Fund, was laundered, and now sits there in our GENERAL FUND available to be used however general fund dollars may be used.  (Or at least for any pet project that the right people want it used for.)

Councilman Laubach said the magic word “NO”!!!

So now we have $1,100,000 in UNAPROPRIATED FUNDS in the General Fund that we didn’t have before, available for General Fund uses (such as street paving), right???

Well, watch closely…the pea--I mean the money--goes under the middle shell, the shells get shuffled around…his hands never leave his arms…abra-ka-dabra…the money vanishes, and we will once again be BROKE, with no money available for anything until the next pet project comes along!!!  (Then the pea--I mean the money--will once again magically re-appear under the nut shell on the left!!!)

It's amazing...simply amazing.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2012 at 2:58am

Middletown passes on funds to raze blighted homes

Super majority vote needed; Vice Mayor Picard was absent from the meeting.

By Michael D. Pitman, Staff Writer Updated 10:27 PM Tuesday, June 19, 2012

MIDDLETOWN — The city of Middletown will not receive more than $1 million in state funds to raze blighted homes, nor will it join the county land bank in order to make abandon property productive.
    City Council needed a super majority in order to approve a resolution that would allow the city to apply for $1.1 million in aid from the Ohio Attorney General’s Moving Ohio Forward
Grant Program money the state received from a multibillion dollar mortgage provider
settlement shared with all states.

Also, because of the lack of a super majority vote, the city has pulled out of being a part of
the county’s land bank. Last month, Butler County commissioners approved forming the land
bank, called County Land Reutlization Corp., a quasi-public nonprofit organization that can
acquire vacant, abandoned, tax-foreclosed or other real property for rehabilitation or reuse.
    The land bank would clear property of all
liens, including delinquent property taxes.
    Council voted 5-1, with Councilman Josh Laubach voting against both issues.
Vice Mayor Dan Picard was not at Tuesday’s meeting.
    The county’s share of the Moving Ohio Forward Grant is up to $2.7 million, but the
participating cities — which until Tuesday night was to be Hamilton and Middletown — were to
split the match, which would have been a total of $2.2 million. The grant would have allowed
Middletown to demolish upwards of 300 vacant and abandoned properties in the city, about
10 percent
of its total vacant and abandoned properties.
    The city currently demolishes about 40 to 50 homes a year.
    “We’re going to get a hold of these properties, which no doubt have issues, and they’re going
to require further money to demo them, redevelop them, maintain them,” said Laubach. “The
list will go on and on and on, and it will be this black hole that we’ll never get out of.
    “I don’t think it’s in the best interest in the city,” he added. “I think the only control we have
as a city is to what we can do, and that’s really basic things.”
    Laubach said he believes the market will take care of these properties. However, Community
Revitalization Director Doug Adkins, who was presenting both pieces of legislation, did not. He
said the homes will “just continue to deteriorate, and your neighborhoods will continue to
deteriorate.
    “We have a balanced book, but we haven’t taken care of our issues,” Adkins said. “The market
will not take care of these... There’s not a commercially viable reason for people to get involved
in them.”
    Law Director and acting City Manager Les Landen said staff supported the grant program and
legislation, and understood Laubach’s  concerns. However, he said potential residents and
business owners who see 3,00 blighted homes will not come to the city.
    “We have some very significant problems and if we don’t address those problems, we’re not
going to get the economic development,” Landen said.
    Mayor Larry Mulligan said this would have accelerated the city’s current demolition program
and aided in economic development. He said removing 10 percent of the city’s blighted property
can make a big difference.
    “This is a singular opportunity to really see some additional money to leverage what we’ve got,
” the mayor said. “My concern is if we don’t take care of this opportunity this year, it will be a lost
opportunity and forever be missing out clearing blight from 300 potential sites.”
    The deadline to apply for the grant, which is being applied through the land bank, is June 30.
Adkins said money the county does not apply for would likely be redistributed to the state’s other
counties.
    Adkins said with the city not pursing the grant money, that allows the city of Hamilton — which
he said has expressed interest in the grant — could potentially apply for the entire grant amount.
    Councilman A.J. Smith was leaning against the grant and the land bank, but ended up supporting
it. After the council meeting, he said he felt he needed to put the city “above my own self interests.”
    He said he wished the dollar amount was lower, but said it would have helped the city.
    Contact this reporter at (513) 820-2175 or michael.pitman@coxinc.com.
Follow at twitter.com/mdpitman.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2012 at 6:19am
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"><font face="Calibri">Acclaro:

<font face="Calibri">
<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;">With all due respect, that’s all crazy talk!<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;">

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;">

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"><font face="Calibri">All we need to make Middletown a booming success is a
renewed downtown, and that is a fact.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> 
</span>And all that will take is this:<o:p></o:p>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; text-indent: -0.25in; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1;"><span style="mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-latin;"><span style="mso-list: Ignore;"><font size="3" face="Calibri">1.<span style='font: 7ptormal ormal ormal ormal "Times New Roman"; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal;'>      
</span></span></span><font face="Calibri">Give all of the property owners downtown a grant
of $5,000 per frontage foot (or so) to rebuild all of the storefronts in olde
tyme fashion.  (The money for this is available in the General Fund on the third Tuesday of any month, IF you can pick the correct shell after "The Wizard" shuffles them.)

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; text-indent: -0.25in; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1;"><span style="mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-latin;"><span style="mso-list: Ignore;"><font size="3" face="Calibri">2.<span style='font: 7ptormal ormal ormal ormal "Times New Roman"; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal;'>      
</span></span></span><font face="Calibri">Fill all of the downtown properties along
Central Avenue and Main Street with artsy-type stuff, including olde tyme crafts,
and antique shoppes.<o:p></o:p>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; text-indent: -0.25in; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1;"><span style="mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-latin;"><span style="mso-list: Ignore;"><font size="3" face="Calibri">3.<span style='font: 7ptormal ormal ormal ormal "Times New Roman"; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal;'>      
</span></span></span><font face="Calibri">Do accurate historic interior restorations of all of the
old buildings downtown (using tax money of course).<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>Put special emphasis on the opera house and
other performing arts venues.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>(Hire
Sammie to be in charge of this, at a six figure salary, of course.)<o:p></o:p>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; text-indent: -0.25in; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1;"><span style="mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-latin;"><span style="mso-list: Ignore;"><font size="3" face="Calibri">4.<span style='font: 7ptormal ormal ormal ormal "Times New Roman"; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal;'>      
</span></span></span><font face="Calibri">Hire a maestro or two, a couple of museum curators,
and some Shakespeare-in-the-Park type theatre producers, all on the city
payroll, to start performing arts programs in our grand downtown venues.<o:p></o:p>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; text-indent: -0.25in; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1;"><span style="mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-latin;"><span style="mso-list: Ignore;"><font size="3" face="Calibri">5.<span style='font: 7ptormal ormal ormal ormal "Times New Roman"; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal;'>      
</span></span></span><font face="Calibri">Hire Knight Goodman to throw out the first pitch
at opening day of our “new” olde tyme baseball team, the “Middletowne Rusty-red
Stocklings”.<o:p></o:p>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; text-indent: -0.25in; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1;"><span style="mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-latin;"><span style="mso-list: Ignore;"><font size="3" face="Calibri">6.<span style='font: 7ptormal ormal ormal ormal "Times New Roman"; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal;'>      
</span></span></span><font face="Calibri">Find Professor Harold Hill to start a boys’
band.<o:p></o:p>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-add-space: auto;"><o:p><font size="3" face="Calibri"> </o:p>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-add-space: auto;"><font face="Calibri">Everyone
knows that this is the ONLY approach that will work, and that it is the ONLY
thing that we should try…<o:p></o:p>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; mso-add-space: auto;"><font face="Calibri">…again…and
again…and again…and again…

<font face="Calibri">
<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; mso-add-space: auto;">

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; mso-add-space: auto;"><o:p>(Just in case there is any doubt, ALL of the above was said with toungue in cheek--That means that I am JUST KIDDING!!!)</o:p>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; mso-add-space: auto;">

Mike, you forgot #7 on your list.

7. Hire a small orchestra, tailored after the small group of musicians on the deck of the Titanic as she sinks, and place them at Broad and Central, playing "calming music" as the people panic when the ship starts to go under.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2012 at 6:56am
GG...
"Let me be clearer in my statements. I am in 100% agreement that this city has been poorly managed for a very long time. I’m just not indicting the “current” administrative leaders for the mistakes of the past. At this moment in time, my positive endorsement is limited to the administrative side of our government; specifically the City Manager and the Director of Community Revitalization. In my opinion, their job performance is above the norm and is being performed in difficult circumstances. I stated earlier, that I think Mr. Kohler has been very damaging to the city"

AGREE WITH THE CITY BEING POORLY MANAGED FOR A LONG TIME.

GG..
"I’m just not indicting the “current” administrative leaders for the mistakes of the past".

THE CURRENT CITY LEADERS HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THE MISERY. THEY ARE JUST AS GUILTY AS PAST LEADERS. THEY'VE JUST ADDED THEIR OWN BRAND TO THE CITY'S INEPT DIRECTION. WE HAVE HAD NO COUNCIL MAKEUP IN THE LAST 3 DECADES THAT ACTUALLY HAD THE SKILLS TO LEAD THIS CITY IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. NO LOGICAL COMPETENCE LEVELS IN CANDIDATES RUNNING FOR COUNCIL IN A LONG TIME.

GG...
"At this moment in time, my positive endorsement is limited to the administrative side of our government; specifically the City Manager and the Director of Community Revitalization".

CAN'T SAY THE SAME GOOSE. THIS CITY MANAGER IS ABOUT AS INEPT AS IT COMES. SHE CAN'T MAKE A DECISION ON HER OWN. CAN'T MAKE A DETERMINATION AS TO WHAT THIS CITY REALLY NEEDS. (BASICS FIRST- QUICHE (ARTS AND CULTURE) LATER). CART BEFORE THE HORSE MENTALITY. SHE CAN'T UNDERSTAND THAT THIS TOWN HAS A MAJORITY OF PEOPLE WHO ARE NASCAR/BURGERS/SOFTBALL/FOOTBALL/BEER DRINKING/WORKING CLASS INTERESTS TYPE PEOPLE. NOT WINE DRINKING/ CHEESE EATING/ARTZY/FINGER FOOD/OPERA-LIKING/SOPHISTICATED TYPE PEOPLE. YOU TAILOR THE TOWN'S NEEDS TOWARD THE MAJORITY OF INTERESTS. GET THEM SATISFIED. THEN, YOU ENTERTAIN THE SMALL GROUP OF ARTZY_LOVING FOLKS. BACKWARDS NOW. SINCE SHE AND HUSEMAN (sp?) HAVE ARRIVED AS THE NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK, IMO, THE CITY HAS GONE FURTHER DOWNHILL UNDER THEIR GUIDANCE. NONE OF THE CITY BUILDING PEOPLE WHO ARE IN A "CITY GUIDANCE" POSITION HAS THE CORRECT FOCUS NOR A CLUE ABOUT WHAT THIS TOWN NEEDS. THAT INCLUDES THOSE ADMINS. FROM THE PAST 2 DECADES. WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE "OLD SCHOOL" CITY ADMIN PEOPLE WHO COULD WORK WITHIN A BUDGET AND STILL DELIVER SOMETHING OF CONTENT TO THE PEOPLE OF THE CITY? WE USE TO SEE THINGS GET DONE AROUND TOWN THAT HELPED THE MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE. NOW, WE ONLY SEE SPECIAL NICHE PEOPLE GET THE ROYAL TREATMENT. THE REST OF US ARE NOT EVEN CONSIDERED....UNTIL TAX TIME WHEN THE CLOWNS WANT YOUR SUPPORT.

GG..
"I stated earlier, that I think Mr. Kohler has been very damaging to the city".

VERY MUCH SO. PERHAPS THAT'S WHY THEY FIRED HIM IN LEBANON AND, LIKE FOOLS, SOMEONE HIRED THE CLOWN TO JOIN OUR CITY TO SCREW IT UP ALSO. (WHY?) HE HAS BEEN A VIRUS SINCE HE'S BEEN HERE AND GILLELAND HAS CATERED TO HIS NONSENSE (WHICH IS ANOTHER MISTAKE THE WOMAN HAS MADE). BOTH SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED A LONG TIME AGO.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2012 at 8:32am
Bill, there are, I am a silent partner in one nationally that targets private equity and sourcers, and the F1K (sorry Fortune 1000). In two years ,it has done $20 Mm focusing upon sourcing strategies as it relates to people, processes, and procurement. I'd guarantee a reduction of at least 30% in Middletown's budget and better performance. We take a % of benefit and a fixed rate fee.

DAY 2

I assess my internal cabinet staff, and make an evaluation I need to make changes. I accept the resignation of Marty Kohler, decline Judy Gilleland's offer to retire and double dip in Middletown, and tell Les Landen, I wish him the very best in his retirement and his new adjunct professor role in UD teaching constitutional and municipality law.

I bring in a Planning Director with the order the city will have a balance of 50/50 in corporate payroll and residential property tax. To boost the renter market, I have before council an ordinance that the first year a new resident rents in Middletown, there is no (0%) income tax, with the exception if they are paying the city rate or greater, they file, to claim the reciprical value. But if you are in West Chester, Mason, Deerfield Township, where there is no tax, as a new renew renter in Middletown, you will pay no taxes. That approach continues in year 2, it bumps up to .5% increments, and within 4-5 years, but at max, it will only be 1%. My intent is to fill vacant houses, spur private investment in property, and bring new potential residents in that will stay, and eventually buy (acquire excess inventory). So in contrast to tearing down housing stock, I have private incentives to occupy, based upon a simple tax code. It passes council 7-0.

Next, I tell the residents there will always be transparency and accountability in the GF, and all city transactions. I immediately abolish retainer contracts with people and firms not qualified to perform. I don't have an attorney under attorney/ client privilege handling my business development activities. I have an open dialogue with residents on financial codes used, what they mean, and I post that on te city website. Transparency is the key to credibility.

After that announcement, I walk down the hall and meet the my head of the water department. I state in 30 days, the business model will change. Water will not be a profit center, but he/she will drive out every unnneded dime out of the value chain, and I want that figure monthly. I then tell my residents and businesses, in ll facets of what the city offers, the costs will be simply costs, no making a net EBITDA return of 10% or greater, no cash cow, you simply pay for the cost plus amortization of any nominal added fee. In turn, my strategy is this provides a point of leverage to sell to new residents, new businesses, and those ripe for moving into Middletown, you have the best costs in Ohio, for property, house, and traditional expenses for maintaining your house. Gouging just isn't an acceptable business practice for a city service, period.

At noon, I have plans to round up all of my staff and I announce I have uncovered a startling revelation upon my review of the dictionary and alphabet, and that P becomes before R. I state I want it instilled in them, this is a PR campaign, but different than public relations. P- stands for proactive. R- stands for Reactive. As P comes before R, we are adopting a PROACTIVE stance and attack in every support role we play in supprting our constituencies. I also reiterate P stands for People and Place, and that people in in our place, community, are the reason we are here, who pays our bill, and that is our only focus, unpon them, in meeting their needs, through our core functionality. I bring in Perryville Consultants to do a 3 day workshop so EVERYONE iis on-board with pro-activity.  

I have my head of purchasing evaluate the assets which are acquired, which are subject to variable costs. I work with he/she to combine common asset acquisition to other cities, and within the state, and where possible, I have an initiation of a state or global purchasing agreement  based upon economies of scale and scope.

On my city fleet of vehicles, I begin shifting to acquisition strategies from ownership to lease. I engage with my public safety employees and tell them I want their burden of costs to be the average mean of the private sector, and pay that is competitive, but not higher, than private sector. We come to an agreement, or I reduce staff by 40% in Fire, and augment that with paid volunteers. I outsource the transport from resident home to Atrium (elsewhere). I eliminate the vehicles used in fire department transport, and I sell the assets, which come back into the General Fund.

Next, at about 10 am, I tell my staff I am reducing my salary to 50% of what is paid over a 5 year contract, and I agree to take 5% of the costs I drive out of te budget in waste as a bonus and through a deferred pension payment. I then proceed on my trip to Chicago, where I have meetings with Baxter Healthcare, Caremark, Aon Hewitt, Comdisco, Sears, Hormel, and about 30 F500's, about the Illinois tax rate rising to 67%, and I offer tax incentives to move to Middletown. I also assemble a small team of suppliers to GE Aircraft to target for migration to Middletown, whom in turn, provide products to GE in WC.

By 1 PM- I have a meeting with the city Revitalization Director and I tell he/she, I don't want federal money to tear down buildings, I want to find and bring in grants that offer tax incentives to buyers, regardless of whether this is first home, second home, or 20th. My goal is to offer incentives of at least $5,000. on the first acquisition of a new property in Middletown. If you are a resident, great, the credit is there for buying another property. Within 3 years, I have the housing glut taken care of, associated with renter tenants and new buyers, instead of a wrecking ball doing the work for me.

At 3 PM, I tell my HR Director I want in place within one month or sooner, an Ombudsman, that sits between the city and and resident, business, or other entity, to resolve conflicts. I don't want matters handled in court that can be resolved in this manner. I also task the police chief to actively initiate and help transform Middletown, into a hub of Citizens Watch groups in all neighborhoods which encompass Middletown.

By 4 PM, I eliminate the nonsense associated with Midldetown's brandiing on messaging. I relinquish Bright Past, Brighter Future. I am on the phone with Cisco Systems, and enter into an agreement where Middletown is wifi-ed throughout the city and community, At 4:30 PM, I am on the phone to the President of Cincinnati State telling him Middletown will offer $5,000 in housing purchase credits per house, if he will commit to 100 professors and staff, and a Dean in Middletown. By 4:45 PM, I am speaking to the CEO of Accretive Health, and state Middletown would be perfect for relocating the fastest business growing in America associated with Revenue Cycling, and when can I get on her calender.

Day 3 tomorrow.         

greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2012 at 9:28am
Last night's council meeting was painful to watch. Does Mr. Smith have anything between his ears? Although I am very disappointed in Mr. Laubach's decision, it was obvious to me that he was voting for what he thought were the right reasons (Ms. Viv must have got to him more than she thought).
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2012 at 10:16am

oooor...maybe City Hall should have been more frugal over the past five years and they would have had the needed million dollars of matching funds in the General Fund.

greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2012 at 10:55am
agreed..... just hate seeing us miss out on the opportunity to rid ourselves of so much blight.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2012 at 11:43am
GG....you wanted solutions, you have them.

As for last night, become a political beast for a moment. Council would not appropriate funds and then ask the city residents to pass a Sr Citizens and public safety levy, no matter what "alleged" leverage to be. That's why it failed. Terribly misguided strategy and funding effort. When you state you can't afford to pay for a public pool and come up with $.5 Mm to a Mm a few months before an election----it doesn't look good. That's why it went down.

Bring residents IN, don't TEAR DOWN, to resolve the problem.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2012 at 1:24pm
No job for me, acclaro?
Entertainment-inspector-Ed-consultant
Part-time with bennies of course
I was born to lead and know everyone and every corner of this town
Plus I live here( for now)
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2012 at 3:00pm
sj, you didn't wait until Day 3. So here goes:

I eliminate the Mayor position as a council member, and appoint a tribunal panel of three, drawing a 150,000 salary, split 3 ways.

M tribunal is Jim Wendell, to help uplift real estate, Tim Lewis, and drum roll please.......sj, ergo....well....you know.

My work is done, Middletown is put back on a path of recovery, and I am out of a job in two days. My replacement is the tribunal of the three acting as Mayor.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2012 at 6:47am
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

sj, you didn't wait until Day 3. So here goes:I eliminate the Mayor position as a council member, and appoint a tribunal panel of three, drawing a 150,000 salary, split 3 ways.M tribunal is Jim Wendell, to help uplift real estate, Tim Lewis, and drum roll please.......sj, ergo....well....you know.My work is done, Middletown is put back on a path of recovery, and I am out of a job in two days. My replacement is the tribunal of the three acting as Mayor.

What?

No Ann Mort to continue her expertise as PR specialist for the city?

No Mike Robinette to continue his highly acclaimed work on Econ. Dev.?

No AJ Smith to be the go between in union negotiations? He was at his best when he was the spokesperson for his union buddies during the SB5 thing.

No Sam Ashworth given a created position from Ms. G to lead one of his worthwhile causes on behalf of Gilleland while the city pays him some high cotton salary?

No Marty Kohler to continue his bangup job in the planning development of the city nor to provide a heartwarming welcome to new businesses?

No MMF'ers included to keep the ball rolling providing guidance to council and to watch them work their magic with the $83,000 in the old account?

No Lawrence Mulligan the Third (say that with reverence mister) in place to smile, give us his best Stanley impression and play city representative at social functions, delivering his infamous town cryer statement that "all is well" in the city? But who will tell the scripted lies in the State of the City address?

No more "Bright Past/Brighter Future" for the city slogan?

No more Danny Picard or Billy Becker playing "Jay and Silent Bob" as they sit in that big easy chair behind the all important desk and offer.....nothing.

Gilleland is gone? Who is she going to get to make her decisions for her now? How will she function in life? Which town will she try to ruin next?

Adkins gone in your scheme of things? What will we do in dealing with our town that he has deemed as a "54% slum town"? Hey, and how about all that excess Section 8 he is leaving behind? How do we get them to leave?

What about Leslie Landen? Now there's a person to keep. Any law you want changed, altered, mis-interpreted or swung in your favor to accomodate the situation.......he's your man. Invaluable asset to the city. Just make sure it's emergency legislation or don't even bother the man.

Alot of perplexing issues here acclaro. I like the tribunal idea. We could simulate Rome with your tribunal idea and throw some of these people to the lions, burn 'em at the stake ala Salem Mass. or just "Hang 'Em High" at Broad and Central....vigilante style.

Need to stay away from guys like the Spider and that "rabble-rousing" Presta. Unlike the rest of us, they seem to want to stir up too much trouble by stating trivial, non-important facts and bringing to everyone's attention the city's constant screwups with supporting data. Alot of nerve from these two individuals. Vivian's another, with her facts as statement backups. Shame.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic