FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Better Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2012 at 9:37am
I didn't see the article about someone smashing through the window at Subway to get chips. But my guess is that if someone is doing this, they have bigger concerns. Then again, I'm sure that is just a small excerpt from the article. Maybe it was just someone being a malicious. And I'm not excusing the crime, based on the individual's rationale. They are still wrong. Just because you break a law, doesn't deem you a hardened criminal.

How many people in here complain about the camera lights. Why? If you don't run the red lights, it is not an issue. Maybe the repeat offenders need some jail time. What about those that smoke "a little" dope? Not hurting anyone, but still against the law. And no, I don't smoke, or pop pills, hell I haven't even had a drink of alcohol in over 2 years.

What if the Subway guy is able to pay restitution?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2012 at 10:46am
rngrmed: "How many people in here complain about the camera lights. Why?"

Won't speak for anyone else on this forum, but for me, it is all about Big Brother Government (city,state,feds- doesn't matter) watching over my shoulder and attempting to oversee my behavior. I don't need an entity as inept as the lousy government dictating to me how I should act in my own car. Same way with telling me I must wear a seatbelt in my car. We've all heard of the driver and passengers dying from not wearing their seatbelts, right? Ever hear of a person in the other car dying because the opposing car's occupants weren't wearing belts? It is none of the governments business to try and tell me how safe I choose to be INSIDE my car. If it affects those OUTSIDE the car....different story. The cameras? IMO only, too much gov. intrusion and let's face it, the cops and the city can give you all the crapola they want about their concern for our safety but that's, at best, secondary. It is strictly a revenue enhancement program done, in Middletown's case, because the city leaders are too ignorant and lazy to gain meaningful revenue the correct way through payroll and corporate taxes. Would require too much effort on their part to make that happen. Easier to beat the hell out of the people for money. Furthermore, I haven't heard where the cameras have made much of a difference in accident reductions as people will speed through the yellow light to avoid the ticket on the red, intimidated by the cameras themselves. JMO
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2012 at 1:14pm
Vet- My point is if people were obeying the traffic laws in the first place, the cameras wouldn't make a bit of a difference.
As far as seat belts, Yes I have heard of people in opposing cars being injured. But that is/was where I earned my living, taking care of injured/hurt people.
You can even say being forced to wear a safety belt is related to money. If you were to become injured in a car accident because you were not wearing your seat belt or not wearing it properly you may not be able to work or end up in a long term care facility.
Oh yeah, most insurance policies do not pay if you are injured or killed and found to be not wearing your seat belt.

Do you want to be the individual that caused a car accident and killed someone because they chose not to wear their seat belt.

People think all this crime is something new, its not. I remember there was a time in this Country when horse thieves were hung in the public. People continued to steal horses.

I'm glad there are seat belt requirements, but at the same time I think that it is a double standard because of other lifestyle choices that cause health related issues. One way or the other we end up paying because of the choices someone else makes.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2012 at 2:47pm
When are you "privatize government" people going to get it through your head that they WANT more people in jail!!! This country is now going back to putting people in prison for debt!!! Why? Because when you can make money putting people in prison, the government will come up with all sorts of creative laws that make those who support their candidacy money! Notice when politicians and the rich go to jail, they get the "minimum security" country club detainment? It's only the poor who get to go to "private prisons" where they can be forced to work for pennies and denied basic human rights. I'm all for the idea "if you do the crime, you do the time", it's just that I can't see someone else being allowed to profit from it!
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2012 at 3:45pm
Not a fan of privatizing detention facilities.
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2012 at 4:33pm
Great Show! Source CNBC.com

Try to catch the replays at night. Worth the watch.

CNBC's Billions Behind Bars: Inside America’s Prison Industry

“Billions Behind Bars: Inside America’s Prison Industry,” a CNBC original documentary, goes behind the razor wires to investigate the profits and inner-workings of the multi-billion dollar corrections industry.

With more than 2.3 million people locked up, the U.S. has the highest incarceration rate in the world. One out of 100 American adults is behind bars – while a stunning one out of 32 is on probation, parole or in prison. This reliance on mass incarceration has created a thriving prison economy. The states and the federal government together spend roughly $74 billion a year on corrections, and nearly 800,000 people work in the industry.

From some of the poorest towns in America to some of the wealthiest investment firms on Wall Street, CNBC’s Scott Cohn travels the country to go inside the big and controversial business of prisons. He investigates the business model behind a private prison in Idaho, dubbed a “gladiator school” by inmates and former prison employees who cite its extraordinary level of violence. We also look at allegations of improper corporate prison industry influence over a tough immigration enforcement law in Arizona, and chronicle what happens when a hard hit town in Montana accepts an enticing sales pitch from private prison developers. In Colorado, we profile a little-known workforce behind bars, and discover that products created by prison labor have seeped into our everyday lives -- even some of the food we eat. We also meet a tough-talking judge in the law-and-order state of Texas who’s actually trying to keep felons out of prison and save taxpayer money, through an innovative and apparently successful program.

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2012 at 9:34am
"Vet- My point is if people were obeying the traffic laws in the first place, the cameras wouldn't make a bit of a difference."

Agree rngmed. I still maintain that I don't need nor want government monitoring my private life to the degree that they choose to put up cameras and take pictures....especially (IMO) for revenue. They really could care less about my safety nor welfare. Their weak attempt, hiding their revenue intentions under the guise of safety, is a joke. Gotta remember, I came from the generation that mistrusted all government. Some in my generation have become what we use to hate. I have not lost the feeling of despising authority I don't respect. That includes politicians, city building residents, some managers in private industry over 44 years and those that come up with laws that invade my privacy (like how safe I should be in my own car)

rngmed: "As far as seat belts, Yes I have heard of people in opposing cars being injured"

We differ here. I've been driving for 47 years and have NEVER heard of a situation where the person NOT WEARING the seatbelt, ran into another car and caused injury to the passengers of the other car ATTRIBUTED TO NOT WEARING SAID SEATBELT. Injury to the person not wearing the seatbelt- certainly. Don't see how that could possibly happen without the person without the seatbelt being ejected through the windshield and directly into the windshield of the oncoming car. Dam near impossible.

rngmed: "Do you want to be the individual that caused a car accident and killed someone because they chose not to wear their seat belt"

Of course not. I will agree with your statement until it reaches "because they chose not to wear their seat belt". I am responsible for causing the accident and for the injuries incurred by the occupants of the other car to a point. I am NOT responsible for them deciding not to wear their seatbelt and the injuries attributed to their decision.

rngmed: "I'm glad there are seat belt requirements",

We disagree here too. I am not. It is another government intrusion into the lives of private citizens. Remember when the authorities "suggested" we wear the seat belts? Then they said they will "monitor" us wearing them. Then, they said if you are stopped for another violation and found not wearing a seat belt, they would add that to the charge. Then, they escalated it to "we can charge you with not wearing the seat belt even if you are not in violation of any other infraction". It is bull---- the way they ramped this up to dictate to the public how safe they should be inside their private car. This, IMO, is a mild form for fascism.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic