FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Central Pastry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Central Pastry
    Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 4:34pm

Last week we ordered a cake for our son's 5th birthday.  The cake was to be picked up yesterday (June 30th).  We were told the cake would be ready at 0900 and we could pick it up at anytime after that. 

I am really impressed that when we got there at 1115, the cake was still not ready.  Needless to say I was completely enthused to be over 45 minutes late to my son's birthday. 

It made me really happy to not be offered a refund, a partial refund or even an apology. 

I can't wait to go back there again.  Way to go Central Pastry!!

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 4:46pm
Sorry to hear about your experience with Central Pastry. First negative comment I have heard from that business. Been there for decades at that location. Have heard positive feedback until now. One of the few businesses left downtown that hasn't changed (or closed)

Been a long time since we had and actual birthday cake. Usually do the ice cream cake at Dairy Queen.

Wondering now, with these problems, if Central Pastry is under new ownership and are not as dedicated as the previous owner.

Is the "Mom's" in Hunter the restaurant at the five street intersection that you are referring to? That business has relocated to around the I-75/ Rt. 123 area hasn't it?
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 5:26pm
I have always heard positive as well.  Until yesterday and have heard several have had that issue with them.  Unfortunately they had a sign that they are starting their vacation.  I guess getting things ready for vacation is/was more important than taking care of customers. 

I guess that is why they have you pay before you pick up your order.  We have your money, too bad if you don't like it.
The only time I will be going back to Central Pastry is to seek a refund. 

I hear Mom's in Hunter is good.  Guess they have a new customer for now.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 8:13pm
A relative had a bad experience not long ago when ordering what should have been a fairly standard cake.  They couldn't really make the cake, or were missing ingredients, or something ...so they improvised and threw together a cake like Frankenstein.  Slap some frosting on it and here you go.  No offer of a refund or discount.  Incredible. 
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 8:28pm
I can't speak for Central Pastry, HOWEVER
it was a rough week-end to do business here
Many homes and businesses were without power from Fri afternoon until ?? and/or had wind damage(my home power came on this morning).I don't believe that the former downtown area was down(who would have noticed?).
Maybe the owner/workers had serious home issues through-out that time

You got the cake 2+ hours late(how was it?), and were 45 minutes late to the party.
Unfortunate, but not the end(easy fort me to say!)

Be glad that they are still there
That is a brutal location at this time

Hate to hear from a disappointed customer--I'm sure that it matttered to the owners
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 10:44pm
Sure, there are worse things in life.  I'm in a desert being shot at etc etc etc. 
I paid $70 to have a product at a certain time.  It wasn't delivered.  If we didn't pay for it in advance, I would have told them to screw off. 
Spider- Should I expect that you will turn the cheek next time an inventory truck is late or the wrong items are delivered? 
crazycatcher View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazycatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 12:42am
To rngrmed
Finally someone that is willing to speak out about this business. I'll admit if it weren't for the icing I wouldn't go..lol. But the fact remains that you are 100 percent correct in your assesment. The last time I ordered a cake I experienced pretty much the same thing you did on top of the cake being wrong. I know of more than one person who has had a bad experience there. And believe me they do not care. When I went in to compalin about the cake I got a nice pat on the head and shown the door. Just because you have been in existence forever does not give you the right to treat your customers without a little bit of kindness. And really people should anyone really sell a smiley face cookie, made out of lard for $1.50.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 7:06am
med--unfortunately I have to turn the cheek daily, since there is little that I can do about certain situations
It is that scary and un-certain in the retail world currently

I DO understand your frustration and sympathize--believe me(I'm sure that you do)

Two other complaints since you posted--says a lot imo

might as well get ready to do without quite a few long-time businesses in that approx.area
The crime, poverty and lack of real customer traffic has destroyed this community
Wish that I could still operate a bakery, but there is no $$$ in operating a bakery
Have to sell a lot of donuts to survive, +you need experienced bakers to work pretty much all night
It is not a pretty business
That is why you now see so few REAL donut shops today, and instead get the thaw/ice and sit out to self-serve sell everywhere now
crappy stuff unless you are really hungry

$70 for a cake today--wow
Didn't get your $$ worth
yes--I would be upset also

Maybe Dorothy Lane in Springboro?
Probably $170 there

hnmmm---Colleen's Cakes now located in Monroe(used to be @ Central and Crawford--had to move for obvious reasons)is a good alternative that few think about now

jjmo
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 7:22am
Spider
I didn't know that Colleen's Cakes had moved.
I thought that she specilized in Wedding Cakes.
I went to wedding that served one of her cakes and it was beautiful and so YUMMY!
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 7:38am
When all those things are against you, you would think you would have a GREAT product and GREAT customer service.

I know business is tough.  I get it.  Its not just them.  But a simple, I'm sorry we messed up messed up goes a long with customers. 

Dorothy Lane Market isn't as bad as you would think.

We have ordered a Red Velvet cake from Mom's in Hunter and was very impressed. 

Come to think of it, Central Pastry's rep does revolve around the Butter Cream Icing and not the the overall quality of the cake..

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 7:52am
correct med
quality and customer service are basic no-brainers

I like dlm--I have known the owner and his family for decades
i shop there to buy the unusual items that ?I can't sell or stock
that new Kroger marketplace coming in just down the road will seriously crunch them though
might be one dlm too many now

makes me sad to remember the buzz and siuccess when we opened our S Univ. location in 1972(after being forced to vacate the former Reedy's location that we owned). We had everything, including the best bakery around. People came from everywhere in town to shop, and we were in every trade mag in the nation.
Then Armco headquarters moved to start the mass exodus. The rest is a bloody history. That center is now an embarrassment. I loved that location and the customer base--very loyal, and no more crime than elsewhere. Had to give it up as part of the deal to unload my Roos.blvd location. VERY sad day.

Where was ED to help us?
Lip service and very little of  that.
We have proudly supported virtually everything in this community for multi-decades.
Everything comes to an end--nothing lasts forever
Not complaining--just sadly trying to explain

goose has talked about our W Carrolton adventure
pailed in comparison to S University in it's hey day

jmo
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 8:02am
I've had problems with the last few cakes from Central Pastry. They're not up to the old standards at all. Some have been a little sloppy looking. I'm not aware of Central Pastry having any loss of business. I've heard people drive long distances for their cakes. They'd survive no matter where they are located, but if they don't get their act together they will turn off too many people. It is that icing that keeps us all addicted. If I could find another bakery with that exact icing I would never go back to Central Pastry for cakes.

Does anyone know if they make their own buns? Those would be hard to replace as well. Those buns are so good you can eat the bun all by itself and it's delicious.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 10:30am
I remember going to the old University all the time. Hate that they became Sav A lots...

I remember going to the bakery at the University location in elementary school..

The carts you had there, would always ride underneath...We will sometimes come down to the Central Ave location, or I will stop in there on my way home from work..
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 10:34am
med, I don't know how big you cake to be, but Costco has massive cakes which are superb for about $16.00, with a great butter cream, and very large, so large, we have difficulty getting them in our refrig, which is a very large Jenn-Aire, try Costco next time.

I have never had bad experience at Central Pastry and that goes back to toddler years. I really don't get it what you are stating. They usually will write what you want on the cake, and have an excellent selection of cakes ready, you choose, and they write the name. Unless you had a party of 300 for a 5 yr old party, don't really understand the problem. If you needed one that big, perhaps Costco was the way to go.

I have eaten in some of the finest restaurants in the country and a few in Europe. I don't recall ever eating better icing on a cake than Central Pastry. Same on buns, they melt like a croissant.

I drove up on Sunday to the Town and Country shopping center in Kettering, as I like Trader Joe's. All power was out, and three employees at Trader Joe's were outside with apologies explaining the power was off. I didn't get angry, say I would not be back, I filed up at 3.22/gal for gas, and drove home.

Hit Costco's the next time you want a big cake. You'll spend 1/3 of the money and it will be ready timely, unless you had a 3-4 layer cake. I suspect the Central Pastry store had employees that were without power and probably had an impact on their business.

BTW, Collete's has the best cookies on earth, Dickerson's sister in law, and she puts together spices that are heavenly.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 11:12am
Acclaro, we went down ordered the cake, they (central pastry) gave us our order form with what time we could pick the cake up. Party was at noon. Cake was to be ready at 0900 Saturday morning (We requested 1030, was told it would be ready at 0900 and we could pick it up any time after that), We got there a little after 11, cake was not ready. Had to wait another 30 minutes or so for them to finish it. Plus the drive to Dayton for the party. We paid to have the party at a kids restaurant, so we missed a huge portion because they were late.
Trader Joe's had employees out explaining and apologizing. Central Pastry offered no explanation or apology. Quite smug about it actually. Makes me even more pissed about it.
You give even more reasons to never return there. Never had their buns and I'm sure they are not the only ones with butter cream icing.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 11:32am
med, I have worked with some of the top retained search firms in the business, Kearney, RR, HS, you name it, Occasionally, they will blow the search, don't reveal something meaningful, screw up needs of company, and poor qualification on occasion as to client needs. Wouldn't let one time hiccup mess my plans up. If you said to them they had delayed and inconvenienced you, I cannot imagine they would not apologize and explain what happened. We all have choices. You do. Costco, DLM, Collette's, you name it. Your choice. I'm just saying in 35 years, I have not once, had a bad experience at the Central Pastry. I suspect it had something to do with power, but I would have asked why the delay and asked for a refund, but that's just me. 
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 2:16pm
rngmed, Not to pick at you, but I've had to plan a few parties before so here is some advice. Never ever take for granted something will be ready anywhere when special ordered. Call ahead of time to verify it will be ready. Central Pastry opens very early if I'm not mistaken. Also, when it comes to cakes like they make at Central Pastry, it is best to pick them up the day before they are needed and not at the last minute. By picking their cakes up the day before and letting it sit overnight it makes the cake a little moire moist. I'm not sure what does it, maybe the thick icing and sitting in the box, but trust me, it works.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 4:40pm

excellent advice, Rhodes!

Why didn't I mention that

The icing, along with the temp, seals in the mosture.
Also brings out the flavor

Sorry--I meant Collette's Cakes--now across from the former IGA market on the main street of Monroe
Very nice pretty lady who makes an excellent product
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 9:42pm
You're right, I guess I am being unreasonable.  Why should I expect a company that specializes in making cakes to actually have it ready when THEY SAY they will have it ready?  Why trust my doctor to be at the office when he says he will.  Why trust his diagnosis.  Shouldn't we throw malpractice insurance out the window then?
Why trust any professional? 
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 11:07pm
A $70.00 cake is not quite a $25,000 contracting job, which can go through many delays. As this is such a big deal to you, why did you not not ask for an adjustment on price, and say you'd file a report with the BBB? I mean, what good is it to slam the owner here. Many establishments in Dayton were w/o power. Could have had a friend pick up the cake and brought it to party. How many cakes do you think they make weekly? Any possibility they thought you needed sometime on Saturday. I've had many disappointments in business transactions, but I would never use a blog to slam an establishment. 
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 11:32pm
What does the power outage in Dayton have to do with picking up a cake from Central pastry.  Central Pastry is on Central Avenue in Middletown where there was no power outage. 
I did not have time to sit and argue with some clerk working the cash register to get a refund.  We live in Middletown and the party was held at an establishment in Dayton.
Why a blog...well, that is beauty of social media.  People read this.  A lot of people in Middletown read this whether they comment or not, it gets read.  Maybe many that I don't talk to. 
Maybe they have had this issue as well.  Maybe Central Pastry will choose to address this issue.  Then again, maybe they will follow suit of City Council and say "So what!?!?"  Middletown will continue to come no matter what we do...
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 11:40pm
Acclaro, you're right, my $70 cake is not a 25k contracting job.   So when do I get to be upset over paid services?  If I go to Flemings and order a Steak and get served a hamburger, should I just shut up and eat the hamburger? 

If I go to McD's and order a quarter pounder and get a fish, too bad?  Buy a new car for 15,000 and it doesn't work, too bad? 

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2012 at 11:47pm
I think you tell the owner you promised my birthday cake would be done by 10 am on Saturday. It wasn't. You cost me my time, inconvenienced me and my guests, and I want a 50% discount. Really not that hard is it. I am not quite ready to put Central Pastry in the same category as city council or city hall. If you feel you had a contract, you could always file a small claims against them. I would have told them it impacted your joy of a 5th birthday, and move on. 
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2012 at 1:24am
And I still don't get why companies use a retained search firm.  Barely 30% of retained search firms are able to fill the positions.  Our owner has done a few retained searches, he just sits on them for about 30 days, then just posts an ad on careerbuilder or monster.  How he can call himself a recruiter is beyond me. 
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2012 at 9:00pm
Best Cakes in Town Krogers 1/2 Sheet Cake even had a photo copied on it and only cost 37.00.  They have that great CP I do not go there now. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic