FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This Is What Our Town Is Becoming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2012 at 12:30am
LMAO

I really like your idea of giving your phone number to the neighbors of your tenants…… thanks for sharing it. I can see a few potential negatives, but the positives are definitely in the majority. Thanks again.

GG
"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got"
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2012 at 11:58am
LMAO....If we had more landlord's like you the neighborhood's would be a better place for sure.I know of a house right now with 6 adults and 3-4 children living there with 4 windows boarded over with plywood and a backyard full of trash and who knows where the owner is.I've tried to locate the owner an had no luck.Lord only knows what the inside of the house is like.Funny part is police are fully aware of this house but absolutely nothing has been done by the city to correct it.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2012 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

LMAO....If we had more landlord's like you the neighborhood's would be a better place for sure.I know of a house right now with 6 adults and 3-4 children living there with 4 windows boarded over with plywood and a backyard full of trash and who knows where the owner is.I've tried to locate the owner an had no luck.Lord only knows what the inside of the house is like.Funny part is police are fully aware of this house but absolutely nothing has been done by the city to correct it.
Thank you.I know of a few that do as I do this is why we dont agree with are spineless ones when they want to dip into our pockets to pay to register our properties.We all know all properties are already register through the county.I heard through the great grapevines of Midletown that what our spineless ones eventually want to do is make the owner pay for a inspection everytime a new renter moves in.Which I dont know about any other landlord but before I signed my name to the deed I had the properties inspected.So again why would we want the spineless ones to pry into our bussiness when they cant even operate this city right? Go pick on the ones that negelect there properties and makes the neighborhood look bad.
Hermes you mentioned  you cant find the owner of the property if you like you can send me the addresse and I can try to find out.Usually you can go to the county records online and find out who owner is.Smile
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2012 at 10:57am
LMAO....I appreciate the offer but the owner use to live at the address and never changed it when he left and rented the house so the property records show that address.I actually know the owner but where he went to I have no idea.I have searched for an address on him in vain and come up dry because I don't think he knows what type of renters he has and what they have done to his house.
As for the city wanting landlords to "register" their property,I think personally it's a good idea but not the way the city wants to do it.I don't think fee's are the way to go but I would agree with inspections and keeping track of the landlords,present address and so forth.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2012 at 3:42pm
Well the hits just keep on a comin'....today's Journal....

Robbery leads to heroin arrests

While police were investigating an armed robbery inside an apartment complex on Roosevelt Boulevard, they found four people allegedly cooking and using heroin with two sleeping children nearby.

Police were called at 9:13 p.m. Thursday to the 4400 block of Roosevelt Boulevard after two Warren County men attempted to sell five iPhones

Police arrested Louis Lebow, 23, as well as Aaron Lebow, 26, and Josh Frame, 27, on suspicion of aggravated robbery, a first-degree felony. Louis Lebow was also charged with possession of drug abuse instruments and possession of drug paraphernalia; Frame was also charged with drug abuse.

All three were arraigned in Middletown Municipal Court last week and will have their preliminary hearings at 1:30 p.m. Friday.

Officers said while searching a neighboring apartment, they found four people, including Aaron Lebow and Frame, allegedly cooking, preparing and using heroin.

Josh and Krystina Brewer, both 20 and of Middletown, were arrested and charged with child endangering and permitting drug abuse. Both are first-degree misdemeanors.

Butler County Children Services removed two girls, ages 2 and 1, from their parents, Josh and Krystina Brewer, according to the police report. They were sleeping in the second apartment where the four were allegedly cooking and using heroin. Custody of the girls was given to their grandparents, and the Brewers were not permitted at the time to have contact with them

Ya just have to love the clientele we have as citizens in this city. The people from out of town don't do a bad job of lowering the standards for all of us either. Sure looks like the lower echelon attraction factor the city has for it's theme is hitting on all cylinders. Nice idea to grow a city.
hatethistown View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatethistown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2012 at 8:22pm

Hermes

I agree with all the way.  Section 8 and those that all low income is treated as the Plague a severe and potentially deadly infection. Some people, believe it or not, are trying to make an honest living but with the economy so bad the odds are against them. And because it seems like no one grows up now a days with the belief FAMILYS SHOULD STAY TOGETHER, There ends up being a lot of single parents out. Forced to care for the kids on one income, male or female. And with the economy as bad as it is it almost takes 2 incomes. Thank God for section for those people.

Bocephus 

I see your point that maybe since this town caters to the low income naturally the crime rate would be higher because of pure desperation alone. But I know of families with 2 working parents with great jobs, that their kids are just plain rebellious. Those same parents are taking that kid to court for breaking in a building and robbing it, or a shot out at a school.

I do not see where low poverty caused wealthier kids to act out like that. The way I see it is are justice system , kids have no fear to do what they want ,parents are not allowed to discipline their kids  and when the child gets in trouble and the law is involved what do they get , a slap on the wrist ? You made the comment  Formerly of Marion ? Could this be another pervert brought here by Middletowns section 8 give aways? “ ????? not sure what you mean??????  Section 8 is suppose to check what type of people they are housing, but LMAO your seem to be one of the better Landlords here , The Landlords should do their part because they have the right to refuse a tent even if section 8 approved them .  Such as perverts or those with any previous record. That is not going to stop these low lives from rolling into any neighborhood

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2012 at 9:57pm
Tony B,

Let Me Run Out To The Garage To Get My Shovel, In Fact I Might Need Two.

PacmanCool
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2012 at 10:02pm
You want to solve the crime problem downtown then you need flood the area where the crime is and take a zero tolerance approach.  Now I realize we are short of Police, but if you want to clean up the downtown, we DO NOT need more Art Galleries, more Fancy Resteraunts until you get crime and poverty under control. 
Two ways to reinforce current Police numbers would be to work a deal with Sherifs Department or use reserve officers (whic many city's do).

PacmanCool
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2012 at 1:39pm
once again!!! WCPO.com NEWS   Victim pistol-whipped and shot at during robbery..

MIDDLETOWN, Ohio - Police are searching for two men they say robbed another man at gunpoint early Sunday morning.

Around 1:48 a.m., police were called to the area of Grove Street and Prospect Avenue after a report of several shots fired. The victim told police that he had been jumped by two men who had been hiding behind a fence. there goes that bright future.. damn shame... sure be nice if these two get caught, and have to end their BS by bustin a cap in their A$$..

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2012 at 3:05pm
Pacman,

I'm not sure why you'd need to run to the garage to get a shovel unless you thought I was full of s***! While I'm amused at that, I think you'd be much more surprised at the solutions to some of the problems enumerated above that I would propose.

Flooding an area with police doesn't solve a crime problem; it just causes the crime to move to another area. There already should be a zero tolerance approach to crime. It's more now a matter of crime paying better than any job that can be had in town. When the cost of crime is higher than the reward, crime will go down.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2012 at 8:02pm
Tony B,

You are very perceptive.  Look at New York City which had a zero tolerance policy.  They flooded high crime areas and brought their crime rate under control.  Of course we could always use the old stand by like when I was a cop 30 yrs ago, We would drive the hookers to the city line and point them in the direction they were to travel and if they were to show their face in Middletown again they would be arrested.  Worked pretty well back then.  As far as Crime moving to other areas that is always going to be a fact of life.  And those other areas must deal with it.

Tony B, can you tell me where Middletown can get 3-4 thousand jobs and where they would put them?  It is not my job nor anyone elses in this town to find someone a job.  Nor to provide for them to live on someone elses dime. 

Many of these people aren't even interested in working, as you look around town there are jobs available that may suit them.  Are they 60k a yr jobs? NO, but they are jobs.

PacmanCool
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2012 at 9:50pm
"Many of these people aren't even interested in working, as you look around town there are jobs available that may suit them. Are they 60k a yr jobs? NO, but they are jobs."
You are right about that,sadly it seems lots of people wouldnt work if you begged them to take a job why should they?
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2012 at 7:29am
Pacman,

I did not realize that you had been a policeman in Middletown for 30 years so I'd like to take the opportunity to commend your service and say thank you.

There is plenty of room in Middletown for 3 to 4 thousand jobs in this town. With all the abandoned and closed manufacturing areas and empty storefronts, it shouldn't be difficult to find a place. I do believe you are incorrect when you state that it isn't anyone's job to find jobs. Isn't that why the city has an Economic Development Department? Isn't it their job to bring jobs to Middletown.

As for the idea that there are lots of people who wouldn't work if there were jobs available, I'm not so sure. There are no doubt some who wouldn't work no matter what job was offered but for the most part, the jobs available and the skills of those who seek employment don't match up. No employer wants to hire unqualified workers and in many cases it would be foolish and sometimes even dangerous to let an unqualified worker on a job. Matching workers to jobs was once done by the state, now it's done by employment agencies.Perhaps as a condition of government assistance, those receiving aid should be on an employment agencies listing. Removing a person from assistance who won't work would more than likely result in this person resorting to crime but; quite frankly, those who can but won't work are a burden to society and if prison is the only way to get them to work, it should be considered.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2012 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Bocephus Bocephus wrote:

"...sadly it seems lots of people wouldnt work if you begged them to take a job why should they?

And there you have it!
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2012 at 7:34pm
Tony B,

I was not a Police Office in Middletown I was a Police Office in a southern state that was a right to work state.  Please tell me in detail where 3-4 thousand jobs will go in Middletown and who put them there?  Which major company's want to move into a city:

1 has a poverty rate of probably about 60% now
2 has housing values dropping faster than Niagra Falls
3 has poor educational system
4 poor roads and infrastructure system
5 high taxes
6 high crime
7 No ammenities to speak of
8 currently has 3000 or more dilipated homes that need to be demolished
9 has a city government which shows a lack of leadership
10 hows that ED department been working for us lately?

PacmanCool

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2012 at 8:27am
Pacman,

I didn't say that there would be companies willing to come into town in its present circumstances. There is room for those jobs but I agree that it would take a colossal leap of faith for any company to come to Middletown. I also agree that the ED department has been less than successful. It still doesn't change the fact that if Middletown wants to reduce poverty and crime, they need to bring economic opportunities to its citizens. If the current leadership can't do the job, then it's clear we need new leadership. Correcting numbers 3, 4 and 5 on your list would certainly improve the chances of luring new business.

Sorry if I misunderstood where you were a police officer; that doesn't negate the thank you for your service.
AKBobby View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKBobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2012 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

You want to solve the crime problem downtown then you need flood the area where the crime is and take a zero tolerance approach.  Now I realize we are short of Police, but if you want to clean up the downtown, we DO NOT need more Art Galleries, more Fancy Resteraunts until you get crime and poverty under control. 
Two ways to reinforce current Police numbers would be to work a deal with Sherifs Department or use reserve officers (whic many city's do).

PacmanCool

the mpd does use reserves. A lot. They work all the parades, court security, jail transporting to other agencies. Saves them a fortune in salary and overtime. Also I get a kick how people always say Middletown needs to use the sheriffs office. U do know the Sheriff had to lay off over 30 employees recently and only has maybe 4 officers working the whole county on road patrol at a time dont you? They are in worse shape than any city in butler county.

come on guys do your homework.
AK - What is going on with that?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2012 at 1:01am
Would it be financially feesible to close the jail, close the court, get rid of the Judge, and Use Bobby's reserve officers to ferry the prisoners to Butler county Jail?

Just Wondering??
PacmanCool

Sheriff marketing jail space to generate revenue for Butler County

By Lauren Pack

Staff writer

Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones is the self proclaimed “King of the Jails” with space at his facility in a time when others have none.

The facility that holds 800 plus was built in 1999 and has produced millions of dollars for the county’s coffers, but the revenue is projected to go down about $1 million this year. That money is funneled into the county’s general fund and then used to provide county services.

The sheriff said the down turn in prisoner housing revenue is due to the political cycle, and the economy affecting not only how many officers on on the street to arrest people, but how much money a municipality can spend on housing them. But when one agency ends a contract, the department constantly looks for others.

Cash from boarding of prisoners is projected to be down about $1 million this year and about 20 percent in 2013, according to projections prepared by Assistant County Administrator Pete Landrum.

“Part of my responsibility is to be resourceful,” Jones said. “And resourceful I am.”

Jones and Chief Deputy Anthony Dwyer say they are actively marketing the jail to bring in new contracts and make up the dwindling revenue.

In 2010, boarding of prisoners created $6.3 million; last year $5.9 million and the forecast for 2012 calls for that number to shrink to $5 million.

“The jail is lucrative for the county and has continued to be so,” Dwyer said, “We are still making money. Revenue is higher than expenses … and we are looking for new contracts,” Dwyer said.

Dwyer said billing of the 33 entities with contracts to house prisoners, including federal government, state and regional law enforcement, is monitored daily.

Administrators have the ability to close and open jail pods and the Court Street Jail to adjust for increases and decreases in the jail population.

“We can mothball pods,” Dwyer said. And the facility with 10 pods that holds 848 inmates was built for easy expansion if needed.

Outside agencies are charged rates per prisoner per day based on number of inmates and the consistency bring prisoners to the county jail.

“The more sporadic the more problematic for use,” Dwyer said, noting it makes planning a budgeting a problem.

The going rate per day per prisoner is $53.20 a day for federal prisoners, $60 a day for outside agencies and $70 a day for those with out contracts that rarely house prisoners.

“When you buy in bulk, you get a discount,” Jones said. “It’s no different here. I run this like a company. I am the CEO of the company.”

Because Butler County is centrally located, it is convenient for many agencies. And they have the space when surrounding counties don’t. Dwyer said they now have contracts with smaller cities in Hamilton County because their jails are full.

Dwyer said it is fiscally responsible the department to seek revenue on prisoner housing.

“These are people who are going to be housed somewhere or they are not going to be housed at all,” he said. And generating $5 million in revenue for the county’s general fund means that much less in taxpayer burden.

Landrum said the down turn in revenue is a concern and a stress on the general fund, but he knows the department is doing everything it can to bring in new contracts.

“They do the best job of anybody at marking the jail,” Landrum said. “If anybody can, they can.”

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2012 at 6:11am
Good analogy here......

Sheriff Jones is devising a program to fill the jails to provide revenue where revenue was lost from the state.

Our city leaders have already made some phone calls to HUD and the feds to ask that they send all the low income people, not wanted by other cities, to Middletown to provide revenue where revenue was lost from a combination of a poor economy and from the lack of any planning whatsoever by city leaders to replace the companies they have driven out of town in the last 30 years.

Jones's prisoners will sponge off the taxpayer for food, clothing and facilities to house them. City leader sponsored low income invitees will sponge off the taxpayer for part of their rent, excessive costs for any additional crime coming out of their areas of town, food stamps and other freebie handouts from us taxpayers.

Only difference....Jones' prisoners will be locked up and isolated. The city leader sponsored HUD folks will be free to roam and do whatever they do best....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic