FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Orman Building Demo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Orman Building Demo
    Posted: Aug 14 2012 at 1:04pm
Apparently they decided to stabilize the wall by taking it down!  This morning....

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2012 at 6:12pm
This afternoon....

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2012 at 7:32pm

At the last council meeting they said they couldn’t use this approach, due to the widespread existence of asbestos that had to be removed before the building could be demolished.  They said that they didn’t have time to get the asbestos removed prior to delivery of the Wausau equipment.

That is why they were going to stabilize the wall instead of demolishing that section of the building.  I don't know what changed.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2012 at 8:09pm
Surely they aint that ignorant?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2012 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" ="Msonormal"><span style='line-height: 115%; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt;'>At the last council meeting they said they couldn’t use
this approach, due to the widespread existence of asbestos that had to be
removed before the building could be demolished.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>They said that they didn’t have time to get
the asbestos removed prior to delivery of the Wausau equipment. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></span>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" ="Msonormal"><span style='line-height: 115%; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt;'>That is why they were going to stabilize the wall instead
of demolishing that section of the building.  I don't know what changed.<o:p></o:p></span>

EPA issue? Fine for not removing asbestos prior to demolishing building perhaps?
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2012 at 12:09am
I could just imagine the fines that they would invoke on this city I pray thats not the case.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2012 at 12:57am
Asbestos?  I don't see no stinking asbestos.      chmoore
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2012 at 6:28am
Originally posted by Bocephus Bocephus wrote:

I could just imagine the fines that they would invoke on this city I pray thats not the case.

Could happen again in this town Bo. Back when they attempted Lake Middletown, someone in the city building (we never knew who made the decision), approved the removal of the temporary dam that separated the lake from the Great Miami River BEFORE the Army Corps Of Engineers told the city they could remove it, and the city paid a $300,000+ fine for allowing silt to be released into the river. Part of the track record this city has accululated for botched projects. If a project has disaster written all over it, look no further than the city building for the culprits.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2012 at 7:22pm
Talked to one of the guys & he said there was no asbestos in that side of the building.

This is as far back as they are going to go for now.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2012 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by 409 409 wrote:

Talked to one of the guys & he said there was no asbestos in that side of the building.
Then what they did (quickly demolishing this one wing of the building nearest the RR track that was in danger of collapsing) was the correct call...better than shoring up the wall (as was indicated they were going to do at the last council meeting) and better than offloading the shipment and trucking it the last few blocks (as I had suggested).
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2012 at 2:51pm
Great photos!

Originally posted by 409 409 wrote:

This is as far back as they are going to go for now.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2012 at 3:39pm
Thanx John!
This is the finished product for now.
Wonder what the price tag was for this?

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2012 at 12:56pm
I believe this demo will cost the city between $225,000 and $300,000.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2012 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

thats crazy

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2012 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

For less than 3 days work + some planning !
I've been in the wrong business !!!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2012 at 2:38am
CORRECTION
I drove past the building and realized that only a small section had been removed so I email Russ Carlos and requested the cost of this demo.
The city paid upto $75,000 for this demo to be paid from the dowtown fund.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2012 at 2:55am
Well, wasn't that cozy?   Up to $75,000.  Our pictorial log started (above) on August 14th---Tuesday---and was broom clean by 3:39 Thursday, August 16th.  Three days, one hoe/operator, debris removal, one guy hosing the area, three sidewalk superintendents.  Not bad for $25,000 a day.   How many bids did they have, again?    chmoore
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2012 at 8:51am
How about the MMF'ers giving the city back the $75,000 to pay for this? They're high rollers. They claim they care about the city, right? I'm sure they wouldn't mind footing the bill out of their own pockets, would they?
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2012 at 4:04am
Have any of you paid for disposal lately? I paid  $875 for disposal of just a 1 1/2 car garage that my brothers and i tore down. Having the ability to get rid of the debris is where the cost/profit comes in.

chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2012 at 12:44pm
lrisner:  I agree that disposal is costly, but that isn't over $50,000 of disposal material.   chmoore
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2012 at 1:38pm
Were there no steel I beams to be recycled?
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2012 at 4:56pm
In this round of demolition there was no debris disposal. With the exception of salvaging large wood beams, the debris was simply compacted with a bulldozer into the lower level. This section had wood beams instead of steel, similar to the old Sorg buildings.
This was posted above. (Bobcat carrying a large wood beam)
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2012 at 10:59am

Ms Judy stated at last nights council meeting that City Hall paid less than $50,000 for the demo of this small section of the Orman Building.

chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2012 at 6:45pm
Still pretty high for 3 days work.    chmoore
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2012 at 9:04pm
Details......unless you do this for a living.  It's expensive when you have to call on a emergency. Hauling/Dumping to clear it quickly costs $$. You want quick service you pay.  This town doesn't know what pro-active means.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic