FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Orman Building Demo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2012 at 9:25pm
"Still pretty high for 3 days work."  Spoken like someone who has never run a business.  This kind of equipment costs big time money, plus the quick, emergency service premium as mentioned above.

I wonder if the city got multiple bids and tried to negotiate.  Guessing not.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2012 at 2:25am
Ground/Bill:  I have experience with "emergency" work.  First, this wasn't really "emergency work"---they had several days to line this up.  "Emergency" is, this water main broke and you need to respond within one hour, and stay on the job 24 hours a day until it is finished."  Whatever it takes.  Send me 10 men and let's go.  By photo evidence, it started on the morning of August 14th.  One hoe, one operator, one worker hosing the dust, and, perhaps, a third operating a front end loader.  Apparently, whatever wasn't reclaimed (large beams) was dropped in the basement and not hauled off.  Project was finished by 3:39, August 16th.  No evidence of overnight work.  So, hoe and operator at, say, $200.00/hr (hoe $125.00, operator $75.00/hr.)  X  24 (8 X 3 days)  equals $4,800.  24 hours labor for 2 other employees @ $50.00/hr. each equals $2,400.  Move-in, move-out, 4 hours (generous) @ $50.00/hr. equals $200.00.  Misc. materials (plastic protective fencing, etc.)  say, $2,000 to be generous equals $2,000.  Water for hosing, let's say $1,000 to be generous (water might even have been supplied by the city at no charge). Even if some disposal was involved, let's again be generous and say $5,000.  Let's see what we have: $4,800 + $2,400 + $200.00 + $2,000 + $1,000 + $5,000 = $15,400.  Yeah, that really gets close to $50,000 real fast.  Can you think of anything that was left out for $35,000?   Also, don't forget that the city has to have an agreement with a demolition company to respond to this type of project relatively quickly.  With as many buildings as the city has demolished recently, this should have been relatively routine.  Just for the sake of argument, let's up the equipment cost to $200/hr., up $75/hr. X  24 hours; add another $1,800.  Total, $17,200.    Uh, yeah, I did do project estimates for a number of years.     chmoore
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2012 at 8:59am

CHMoore,

Not to nit-pick or to start an argument, but just to clarify:

There were actually TWO backhoes working this project.  The large Caterpillar and a smaller hoe (I can’t recognize the make—see the picture on the left posted by 409 on14 Aug 2012 at 6:12pm).

I haven’t done any estimating since 1996 or ’97, but back then your hourly rate figure would’ve been too high for the smaller hoe, and maybe about right ($150 to 200, renting by the hour) for the big Cat).  Your guess for inflation since 1997 is as good as mine (and probably better, if you've been doing estimating since then).

Also, the big hoe (the Cat) used a hydraulic shear, not a bucket, part of the time.  There is an additional rental/equipment usage charge for shears and/or hydraulic rams that can run as high as 50% of the charge for the hoe.  (Hard to believe, I know, but it is true.)  This second hoe also means that another operator is needed.

Finally, to be fair to the City Manager, I recall her saying at the last council meeting that she wasn’t certain of the exact cost but was sure that it was LESS than $50,000.  Maybe it was way less???  Let’s wait and see—hopefully it will be less than $25,000.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2012 at 9:30am
Photo copied from 8/14/2012 Facebook post by W. Pence, showing both backhoes.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2012 at 11:05am
The hoe on the left is a Kobelco SK200. The Bobcat I referenced in an earlier post is actually a Mustang.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic