Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Wednesday, April 24, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grant to give facelift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grant to give facelift
    Posted: Sep 02 2012 at 9:05am

Grant to give facelift to downtown Middletown

By Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

More than $650,000 will be spent to fix up downtown buildings thanks to a federal grant.

Eight businesses were awarded a share of $50,000 through the Facade Improvement Program being managed by Downtown Middletown Inc. The businesses are expected to use their share of the grant and add their own money for the improvements.

All projects had to meet the city’s historic commission approval, said Middletown Planning Director Marty Kohler. And once the properties are inspected and the bills are paid, he said the city will then reimburse the property owners.

“I think it’s a good thing,” he said of the grant. “The owners do need to be stake holders and feel invested in a project.”

The facade grant program is one tool to help remove the stigma of a struggling and antiquated downtown, said Downtown Middletown Inc. Director Patrick Kay.

“It takes people to that next level,” he said of the program. “It leverages more money downtown.”

Kay said his group did alter the city’s program slightly. The city required a match only if it awarded more than $5,000 for a project. Downtown Middletown Inc. required stakeholders to match any amount awarded. Building owners could have received up to a 50 percent match of the project cost.

And they must start the work within six months and complete it within 18 months, according to the program parameters.

The ultimate goal of this program is to make downtown Middletown look better and attract more businesses as the place to be, Kay said.

“Once you have more places downtown, it creates a destination down here,” he said.

Since the start of 2011, downtown has seen several new businesses open, including the Pendleton Art Center opened, Tufts of Hair, @ The Square and just this past Wednesday Cincinnati State Middletown.

Kay said the facade grant program is one tool to help remove the negative barrier of downtown Middletown’s antiquated look. But it takes time, he said.

Kohler said the program is funded with money the city still has from an Urban Development Action Grant, a defunct U.S. Housing and Urban Development program.

Applications for projects were ranked and selected based on “a clear and documented set of evaluative criteria,” according to the grant application.

Roland Lutz, owner of the Forest Hill Sports Plex and Country Club on Second Avenue, will improve the sports plex’s gutters, signage and roof. He’ll receive $7,800 for the estimated $16,000 project.

“The goal is as you pull down Second Avenue to see a refurbished, remodeled facility,” he said.

The exterior work will help with the tens of thousands of dollars he plans to invest improving the interior of the sports plex and country club.

These improvements will bring people downtown, Lutz said.

With the volume of traffic and the tournaments and membership, “there are a lot of people that will be coming in to these sports and recreation destinations. That’s important to make it as attractive as we can.”

Improvements will be made to at least one Main Street business. The Sorg Opera House, which was recently sold, will have its upper ballroom windows secured, said Chuck Miller, the lead partner in the ownership group that purchased the 19th-century building at 63 S. Main St.

The $3,000 project will be reimbursed $1,500 from the grant.

“One window is falling out of its bracket and I view that as a safety issue,” he said. “I want to get it back in and properly mounted.

Contact this reporter at (513) 820-2175 or michael.pitman@coxinc.com.

Facade grant recipeints

The owners of the following properties have been granted city money for the Facade Improvement Program:

63 S. Main St.: $1,500 was awarded for a $3,000 project to sure up the ballroom windows at the Sorg Opera House.

68 S. Main St.: $5,000 was funded for a $19,500 project to improve the former Brown house at First Avenue and South Main Street.

1054 Central Ave.: $8,500 was awarded for the $17,000 project that will improve the front entrances to both businesses along Broad Street. They are at BeauVerre at the Square.

1500 Central Ave.: $1,700 was awarded for a $3,400 project to paint the exterior of the Chamber of Commerce Serving Middletown, Monroe and Trenton.

791 Fourth Avenue: $7,800 was awarded for a $16,000 project to improve the exterior of the Forest Hills Sports Plex

1124/1126 Central Ave.: $5,000 was funded for the $89,000 project to enclose a gap in the rear of the Castell building.

18 N. Clinton: $15,000 was awarded for a $36,000 project to an entrance of a new restraunt, Outside the Line.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2012 at 9:30am
Didn't Kohler and company have a "facade redo program" a few years ago?

So much attention and money being poured into downtown. So little attention being paid to the entrance to the city out by I-75. Bass ackwards thinking on the subject of city perception to newcomers. The activity has been in the east end for decades, but the city leaders insist on making the downtown the new frontier of activity. Totally misfocused. The downtown development can come later AFTER the city has it's act together out east. Like the lady who recently moved from Springboro to Middletown said, Middletown has this low class image with the surrounding communities. Funny, back in the 50's and 60's, Springboro was the cow pasture and Middletown was more well respected. Over the years, the people running Springboro had a development plan to grow the farmland into what it is today. Middletown's leaders took the city in the opposite direction by sitting on their butts and letting the city die a little at a time. How sad to see.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2012 at 11:46am
The former downtown area needs much more than a facelift.
Besides--what do you get when you give an 80yo a facelift?

The problem is hardly appearance-- it is a complete lack of substance.
Very little there to attract locals, let alone attract out-of-towners.
Beau Verre is wonderful, though with a very small local niche.
Pendleton has been an expensive bust when not hosting freebies.
At the Square seems to be the best example of something beginning
to take hold.

A few new small shops are popping up--best to them!

A few thousand $$ to the new Opera House owners seems like a waste.
The Brown House across the street looked better before the current renovation.
Chamber headquarters is already too big, they really need landscaping maintenance.

Maybe the $$ should be spent to take down most of S Main St, Sonshine, Wards, Orman, Rose, Ligon's, the rooming part of the Manchester(leaving the restaurant and upstairs ballroom), Studio/Strand, Hobby House and many other wasted Central Ave structures?

Maybe some of the cash should go to SUCCESSFUL business operators in other parts of the
city to improve/expand their operations, possibly tied to job creation?

Are there any job creation requirements attached to the new taxpayer fund granting?

Kinda seems like the SOS that we have experienced for decades that has
produced little and has cost millions to make an area look worse than ever before.

Maybe that area should be returned to farmland and community gardens?

What say--Mtown29?
Agree?
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2012 at 12:15pm
Vet and Sjohn

Your reaction is as expected. No matter what is done, how or by whom, you guys and gals just can't see positive from any attempts at improving the community.

Vet, point me to one positive post you have made here.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2012 at 12:39pm
This action really isn't about improving our COMMUNITY--it is simply a repeat of a failed action years ago. Buildings were given a facelift, and then never occupied or maintained.

Tie this funding to REAL job creation before the match funds are granted. Put people to work down there--would lead to real money-spending traffic.

Go to the first Friday this week-end
At the Square, Pendleton and Beau Verre will be the only businesses open--as has been the case since inception. There has been no growth. You can count on one hand the # of people making a purchaseWill C St. be open for information and tours?

Come on Mtown--quit defending the indefensible!
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2012 at 2:48pm
SJ, I have attended more than a couple First Fridays and I am troubled by the artist turnover. Each time I go there it seems that 20-25% of the artists have moved on and been replaced. I've done my part and made several purchases. But I also see too many who walk out of the building empty handed. I'm starting to wonder if PAC will ultimately fail.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2012 at 3:34pm
stanky--I am a businessman--I notice things like that. I also try to buy something every time I am there, and always bought from their deli lady. Artists are probably always going to have turnover, especially if they aren't making $$. You can be sure that they aren't driving to Middletown for Friday nights just for a good time, + most of their work is obviously done elsewhere since these "studios" mostly don't seem to be working studios.

I like Pendleton and the re-make of the building.
I was troubled by the financial arrangement, however that is water over the dam.
I simply don't see the current situation as a functional business model, and living up to the promises behind the acquisition. I don't see real local jobs being created other than one good night AT THE SQUARE.

Believe me or not, Mtown29, I would like to see this area work.
It would be a boost for everyone.
C St. is the long-term hope currently.
Unfortunately many of us won't be around long-term.

I served for years on the former Downtown Partnership.
I know what happens when you don't own the properties and have no cash other than what is supplied by government. The property owners have to make this work with their own money. This keeps them focused on their own stake. If I owned down there, I wouldn't want anyone else telling me how to manage my properties either--understanding that concept helped me to get along with Mr.Thatcher, the Blakeleys, Mr.Isroff, and the 505(?) group.

We have created an attitude of expected dependance down there, not shared with other parts of our struggling city. It has gone on far too long with far too little to show for the attention and cash outlayS.

Government involvement can't make it work without substantial involvement(innovation and financial) from those who own the properties imo.

Outside of not agreeing Mtown29, where am I wrong?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2012 at 5:59pm

More than $650,000 will be spent to fix up downtown buildings thanks to a federal grant.
Several things in this article are bothering me starting with the very first line. Last month when Mr. Adkins and City Hall were discussing the Land Banking Program needing 1.2 million in matching funding they said they were going to use all the “Downtown Funds” plus money from the General Fund to demo the 300 homes over the next 18 months.

Eight businesses were awarded a share of $50,000 through the Facade Improvement Program being managed by Downtown Middletown Inc. The businesses are expected to use their share of the grant and add their own money for the improvements.
How can Downtown Middletown Inc. manage City Funds since they are not a department of city government? These Funds have been used for Façade Improvement for years.... so why is City Hall making such a big deal over this program now? The devil is in the details so keep your eye on this little devil.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2012 at 7:59pm

City Manager’s

Weekly Briefing

August 27, 2012

Update on Land Bank Activities

The most recent Board meeting of the Butler County Land Reutilization Corporation took place on August 23,2012. Doug Adkins, Community Revitalization Director, is the Vice Chairman of the land bank Board. The land bank has incorporated, adopted a Code of Regulations, and is currently reviewing insurance and legal epresentation options. The land bank has applied and has been awarded the full allocation of just under $2.7 million for the Ohio Attorney General’s Moving Ohio Forward demolition grant program.

The City of Hamilton has already used the land bank to take title to 89 residential properties during July and an additional 4 residential properties in August to meet their revitalization needs. The City of Middletown is completing the 2013 budget at this time to finalize which accounts will fund the Moving Ohio Forward Grant program. Community Revitalization staff are reviewing the first properties to be demolished under the program. To save funds on demolition, two Community Revitalization staff members are in the process of getting asbestos certification to perform the asbestos survey required for any residential demolition. This asbestos survey generally costs the City about $500 per property. The certifications are being paid by Community Development Block Grant training funds and not the general fund. We will perform the original asbestos survey in-house. With approximately 300 demolitions at $500 savings per house, we theoretically save $150,000 in demolition costs over the life of the grant program, which in turn can be reinvested in additional demolitions. We have procured through RFP additional title services to accommodate the large number of title searches required to start the demolition notice process. We have discussed the demolition requirements under the program with our existing demolition contractors and have been verifying that we have the capacity to meet our grant requirements. The first $250,000 in demolition grant funds are reimbursed at 100% by the Moving Ohio Forward fund, meaning we get every dollar spent back. Staff will be approaching Council in the near future to request appropriation authority to complete the first $250,000 in demolitions during 2012, and then re-use the $250,000 reimbursement during 2013 as additional matching funds for the project.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2012 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

Vet and Sjohn

Your reaction is as expected. No matter what is done, how or by whom, you guys and gals just can't see positive from any attempts at improving the community.

Vet, point me to one positive post you have made here.

29- Back at you bud. Point me to one positive thing the dam city leaders have been successful at doing and I'll acknowledge their achievement. Everything they touch they screw up, if not immediately, in time. For God sakes son, open your eyes and look what has transpired in this city under the current leadership. Desolate areas of town that look like a movie set for The Book Of Eli or any other apocalytic movie with that theme. Look at the money spent on various projects and the end results being failures or minor impacts at best. Look at the number of properties for sale in this town......people wanting to leave. Look at the reputation this town has now as opposed to years ago. Look at the condition of the infrastructure and roads, the school system and it's performance and reputation as opposed to years ago. How about the city leaders watching the major employers either downsizing or leaving altogether for greener pastures and taking their sweet old time in finding replacements. The lack of shopping and entertainment. The quality of life in this town is a shadow of what it once was. The town closes up at 9 PM due to a lack of interest from it's residents. Hardly a lively town is it.

29, you tell all of us what is so fascinating about your little rose-colored town and the way it is currently being run. What makes you so dam positive in a town as devastated as this one is. Pendleton? Beau Verre? CS? Hardly progress in epidemic eye-opening proportions. Is it the new street lights for the S. Main St. people that excites you? A new store opening now and then producing $6/hour jobs that makes you all giddy with delight is it? If so, you sure are easy to please and the bar isn't set that high for you, now is it? Mercy! Are you the "Fool For The City".
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2012 at 7:33am

Well, let’s see…In 2008 there was a façade grant program that provided $5,000 (forgivable at $1,000 per year) plus a $10,000 loan (at no interest, if memory serves).

And there was the façade grant program that was part of the exciting Crossroads 2000 program when the mall roof came off back in 2001.  I can’t remember the details of that giveaway of tax money.

I guess in the eyes of some, we should be accustomed to paying for the maintenance of the old buildings downtown for these owners of private property.  They are used to getting it every few years, so we are due once again.

We shouldn’t be surprised to learn that the definition of “façade” now includes:  roofs, gutters, signage, window repairs, enclosing a gap in the rear of a building, and unlisted improvements to a house!!! 

I wonder if our tax money will trickle on down South Main Street to help city officials with the maintenance on their mansions???  I also wonder what would happen if Spiderjohn, or MiddletownUSA asked for some of this grant money for repairs to their businesses, or if I would ask for some to improve the façade of my home??? 

Of course, we have the very same Historic Commission overseeing these “façade improvements” that thinks junk auto hoods used as siding is historically appropriate.  What could possibly slip by them???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2012 at 8:24am
It's shameful that Middletown has so many people that can't seem to figure out the old saying about doing something over and over and expecting a different result as being ultimate failure.

The reason nothing works downtown is b/c the demographics do not support revitalization. That's it. Nobody seem to want to accept that fact. At least the revitalization always being pushed by those in control.

I was reading about Columbus City Center the other day and what that mall went through. There's a lot of good information at Wikipedia on it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_City_Center   Basically, what was a very upscale thriving mall died out b/c new shopping malls opened in the suburbs and were MORE CONVENIENT. Not only did the mall close down, it was demolished and is now a park. It's unbelievable that mall is gone if any of you have ever been there, but it is. Like it never existed.

If Middletown is going to invest government money in the downtown, it should be to cater to the population that lives in Middletown. There has always been a small group of people in Middletown that like to pretend they are high society and trendy. It never fails in Middletown. I've seen it my whole life. They fantasize about a booming downtown, but never want to admit the old booming downtown was full of middle class Middletown residents doing average type shopping. It wasn't some upscale haven of rich people fawning at art. It's too bad someone doesn't try to open up a shop downtown that makes those velvet Elvis Presley paintings and see how welcomed they are with that type of art.

If you want to cater to the core of Middletown residents, take a look at the crowds at the Broad Street Bash events. That's the only thing that has brought real crowds to downtown on a consistent basis for a few years now. I'm not meaning to sound derogatory at all by saying this, but just looking at those crowds the downtown could be booming if it invested those tax dollars in things that feature live bands, beer, motorcycles, fishing, softball leagues, pizza bowl/bowling alley, anything NASCAR related. There is nothing wrong with catering to who actually lives in Middletown and pays taxes to live in Middletown. Middletown is NOT an art lover crowd town. I just don't get all this pretending to be something the town isn't mess. Let it be what it is. There's nothing wrong with the people that live in Middletown. They are who they are. It's their tax dollars so cater to them instead of handouts to the "you know who" people.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2012 at 9:31am

Rhodes,

I am in complete agreement, with one addition:

I wouldn’t care so much that they keep trying the same thing over and over and failing over and over, IF they did it with their own money.  In that case I would be very supportive.

But they keep doing it with our money—worse yet, borrowed money that our children and grandchildren will have to repay—just so they can try to live out their fantasies.  They keep forcing us to be unwilling investors in their risky schemes, with no chance of recouping our investments.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2012 at 12:28pm
Thanks Viet, I didn't think you would have one.
You make my point for me better than I could ever dream of.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2012 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

Thanks Viet, I didn't think you would have one.
You make my point for me better than I could ever dream of.

What??? 29, your post makes no sense just as your support for the city leaders and their ideas make no sense. You have used the phrase "you make my point for me" on a number of occasions now. Someone pulling that ring in the back of your neck for you? A tad bit repetitive in nature, annoying and as vague a slogan as one could conjure up. Try offering something with some substance to clarify your desire to support your argument. To date, you have failed to convince anyone that your buddies at city hall are doing the right things. It is inconceivable that a person can assess what has transpired in this town and yet call it a success. Classic case of denial of reality. And so it is with you 29. The Fool For The City.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2012 at 6:47pm
I doubt the money can be spent on anything other than the planned target. there are strings to Grant money, you all should know that by now.

i am very much NOT  a fan of the people Downtown right now, but even someone as flawed as Ms Judy doesn't deserve the non stop whining that goes on here.

let's be realistic and talk about what CAN be done to solve some of the cities problems. Let's not waste time bitching because money NOT available for any other purpose is not being spent wisely.

Case in point...in addition to my 30% staff cuts, i say we check into the possibility of  clearing whole neighborhoods out to make the land available for Residential Development, much like what was done for the Trinity Place Project 30 years ago.

Until these blighted areas are gone, there is little hope for downtown Middletown.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2012 at 6:27am
Go Irisner. At lease you are putting something out there as a positive suggestion.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2012 at 7:53am
nice thoughts, risner...

but you know that staff cuts are a pipe dream
Trinity has become mostly govt.subsidized housing now, though last time I was there, it was still a nice place.

The boundaries for these programs simply need to be abandoned/re-set.
Remember--our whole town has been declared a slum(becoming an accurate assessment!)

Rhodes summed it up--there is little business traffic  in the formerly downtown area because there are no businesses that appeal to our citizens/demographics.
And there won't be any attractive businesses until the p[roperty owners create and support these efforts with their own $$ and hard work.

Why worry when a govt.funded bail-out comes every few years to line their pockets?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2012 at 8:53am

Irisner -I doubt the money can be spent on anything other than the planned target. there are strings to Grant money, you all should know that by now.

If you look at the records of the Downtown Fund you will find that this money is not really a dedicated fund at all since it  has been used for numerous different projects from paying salaries, taxes, loan payments, loans, utility bills and purchasing property. The only thing that seems to be dedicated is who decides which friend of city hall receives these funds

I am very much NOT  a fan of the people Downtown right now, but even someone as flawed as Ms Judy doesn't deserve the non stop whining that goes on here.

Are you saying that I do not have the right to question where and how City Hall spends this money? Let me remind you that in December 2011 we were told the City was going broke.
    let's be realistic and talk about what CAN be done to solve some of the cities problems. Let's not waste time bitching because money NOT available for any other purpose is not being spent wisely.
    But that is the money not being spent wisely is my complaint and it should be yours also.
    Case in point...in addition to my 30% staff cuts, i say we check into the possibility of  clearing whole neighborhoods out to make the land available for Residential Development, much like what was done for the Trinity Place Project 30 years ago.

Well Irisner where will the City Hall come up with all the money needed to purchase a square block of housing and clear the land? I would guess that this plan is for the 2nd Ward. The Trinity Place Project was built for high end rental and it failed! Now the City has approved another 260 unit high end rental complex at 1-75. We have been assured that these will NOT become Section 8 rentals but I wouldn’t bet my bank account in this deal either. Ya see the City has NO control over who will rent these apartments after they are built.
Until these blighted areas are gone, there is little hope for downtown
Middletown.

Where were all the city officials with their code enforcement letters over the years as they watched all the building downtown slowly fall into ruin?
So now you think that the taxpayers should foot the bill for the failure of City Hall once again…
Do ya remember the 1.2 million bond that paid for the demo of Swallens and the City Garage. It was going to save us $90,000 a year and that money would be used as payment on the bond…LOL  LOL LOL ....I will let you do the research on how well this plan worked out for the taxpayers.

ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2012 at 9:59am
Being a guy in his 30's I lived in Springboro my entire life until 2011 when we bought our first home.  I saw Springboro grow from the small little farmer town, to an upscale suburb over night. I would always hear that Middletown was a nice place to go from my neighbor, and and she would say that the Town Mall was better shop at than the Dayton Mall back in the 80's. I do believe that Middletown does have potential to regrow again, and change it's image from "Middletucky" to something more middle and upper class.

However, it will take some time but I do think it is possible. You do have an excellent location in between Dayton and Cincinnati. And the growth keeps moving to the Butler, and Warren Counties.

Middletown needs to start with the basics by lowering the Tax rate to be cheaper than the surrounding cities. It is crazy that I am paying more in taxes than Springboro, and getting less services for that money.

Middletown definitely needs to focus on the theft, and drug problems that is going on all over the place. I was defiantly surprised that in one week there was 2 drug busts on Victoria Ave. shortly after moving in. Needless to say I was second guessing my decision to move here, if it wasn't for the cheap price I got for our house.

They absolutely need to focus on improving the roads, and sidewalks. You are not going to attract any middle and upper income people to the city when there is dirt in the middle of the road, grass growing on the curbs, and and all the sidewalks cracked and have turned to gravel. They also need build a sidewalk along Ohio 122 and Grand Ave. mainly because of Safety. I see too many people almost getting hit, as they walk to work because of the lack of Sidewalks.

They defiantly need to do something about the Town Mall, either get the owner to remodel it or tear it down.

Finally Middletown needs to do some major re-zoning, and continue to tear down the blighted buildings all around the city.

Once the City begins to fix the outside areas of the city, and make them attractive to people outside of Middletown to move to, growth in the Downtown should happen on its own.

As a former Springboro City Council Member once told our high school class "A City has two options it either grows, or it Dies." Right now Middletown is dying, but with the right plans, and proper budgeting on priorities it can grow again.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2012 at 10:24am
Vivian's negativity raises its ugly head once again.

Can't stand even the slightest positive comment.

Come on Vivian, I'll give you the same challenge I gave Vet, give me one example of a positive word from you on MUSA.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2012 at 12:02pm
Middletown 29. Will you please read the post from ktf1179 above your latest post. The comments from this post come from a former Springboro resident and a newcomer to town and reflects exactly what we, who have lived here for years have been saying all along. This new resident hasn't been here long enough to have been "corrupted" by the negativity that you seem to be obsessed about, yet, without the corruption factor present, this person still sees this town as needing alot of help. As one reads their assessment of the town, one must see that the negative things outnumber the positives by a substantial margin.

I would think that if we brought in people from the outside, they would see things as we see them.....ie more bad than good offered by this city. It is you (and the city leaders) who see things as better than they are and that's why we are in the shape we are in. Denial impedes progress. Misfocused efforts away from the real problems will never address the issues that need to be solved. You can make the downtown as pretty and as appealing as you would like but if there is no substance to draw people, it is just a pretty desolate downtown. That is what we have now. Facades don't draw shoppers. Offering services, choices,being in tune with the community, decent prices and giving people what they desire does. Can't blame us for the critique in this post. It is an honest evaluation not influenced one bit by our "negative attitudes".
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2012 at 12:32pm
Besides why remodel downtown, when you end up getting lost trying to get there. LOL And there is no quick way into Downtown. At least the City of Hamilton has a divided highway running from I-75 to its downtown, rather than side streets and traffic lights. Let's face it Middletown's roads is such a tangled mess I need a GPS to get to the City Building. Even when I was a kid, my mom had to always stop and ask for directions anytime she had to travel to Middletown for something.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2012 at 10:45pm
Middletown Journal 9/5/12

Improvements planned for Towne Boulevard

Towne Boulevard will be widened if the city is able to secure grant funding to help pay for the $1.25 million road project.

Mayor Larry Mulligan said "...Towne Boulevard is a main access point to Towne Mall and its 24 businesses. The improvements will help the mall, which is anchored by Sears and Elder Beerman, with better access and a wider road"

ktf1179,

You are right on in your post above.  But when you have leaders such as Mulligan who make quotes in the paper as above this is the reason Middletown is failing. 

The KFC in from fo the Mall has more customer traffic in 24 hours that the Mall itself.  Just go to the Camera on the front page of this website and you can observe the number of cars in the parking lot at any given time of the day.

On another note, for my fellow MiddletownUSA posters, who foots the bill for new sidwalks and gutters on this project at town blvd.  Will it be Staples, Walmart, Meijers, Feds  Just wondering?

PacmanCool
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2012 at 6:18am
"Mayor Larry Mulligan said "...Towne Boulevard is a main access point to Towne Mall and its 24 businesses. The improvements will help the mall, which is anchored by Sears and Elder Beerman, with better access and a wider road"

Good Lord, what a waste of money. There are no other, more urgent roads in this town besides Towne Blvd. to improve? Wrong focus again?

WHAT???? There hasn't been 24 stores in the Towne Mall for years has there? Where did he get this number? How will this improvement "help the mall" Lawrence? Why do we need "better access and a wider road when no one goes there to begin with? What is this guy thinking??

"On another note, for my fellow MiddletownUSA posters, who foots the bill for new sidwalks and gutters on this project at town blvd"

How much foot traffic do we normally see on Towne Blvd. to necessitate a sidewalk? The only foot traffic you see are the people waiting for the bus on the corner by Staples and the old Dillards hair shop. Not enough need to justify the cost of sidewalks, right?

Speaking of Towne Blvd. anyone know if something is going in the old REX building. People in there rehabbing and painting the exterior. Still no takers on the old Social Security building. Still haven't gotten a reasonable response to my question to Boehner as to why a new one was built within 300 yards of the old SS building. Got a passification letter from some Washington government flunky containing some gov. bs lipservice. Another waste of taxpayer money IMO. Think I'll E-Mail old John again and ask him for a real explanation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic