FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Something Good For A Change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
adamwlewis View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamwlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something Good For A Change
    Posted: Sep 19 2012 at 12:13pm
I've been a site administrator for MiddletownUSA.com 11 years now, and I rarely see anything good written about the city or its staff. I try to keep my personal opinions and thoughts off the site and to myself, but it gets sad seeing story after story after story of negativity regarding the city.

That being said, I just want to shine some good light on Marty Kohler for a change. I recently purchased 17 acres of property in town and have been working with Marty to get everything in place so that I can build a single-family home on it with a barn for horses. This has been no easy task and I have done nothing but bug Marty 5-10 times a week with requests for this, that and the other. Marty has been wonderful to work with. He has been responsive, helpful, and gone out of his way to make sure I always had what I needed. I definitely do not think I could have gotten this project done without Marty's help, and I am grateful for that.

So, next time you want to complain or you read a story about how awful the city is, just remember, there are ALWAYS at least two sides to a story. For all the things you think the city or Marty Kohler do wrong, they do many other things very well. No one is perfect, but I respect Marty and all our city administration for doing a job that is so very ungratifying.
Adam Lewis' Blog
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2012 at 1:39pm
Here! Here!
A positive post from an MUSAer
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2012 at 2:42pm
I have worked with Marty K on a few boards and issues over the years.
I enjoy working with him, and like him as a person.
Obviously we seriously disagree on many local issues, however we can
keep it civil and separate from personalities and non-issue related areas.

The guy can be a huge plus for the city when he is guided in the right direction.
An excellent municipal employee when the right leadership is in control.

CongratulAtions on your purchase, Mr.Lewis!
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2012 at 2:54pm
Way to go Marty, we need more people like him in the city to turn things around. Even though I have had some negative experiences with the city I still hope things do get better.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2012 at 3:37pm
Adam, I am happy for you that you had a positive experience from Kohler and the city on your purchase. It is refreshing to see them "get it right" once in a while. With that said, I will be the first to also add that, IMO, your positive event is not enough to trump all of the negative things that have transpired under Kohler's command as city planning director. It is understood that he is responsible for turning away many business opportunities for this city, for creating his own set of rules as to business exclusion and the unfinished entry to the city and thereby, has contributed to opportunities lost for progress. He is one spoke in the wheel of ineptitude. Now, if this one episode happens to overshadow all the other things this man has done in a negative light, so be it with some of you. Your opinion/ our choice. I think he was, is and will remain a bad omen for the city. He is, by no means, the only one in this group. It is my understanding that the city of Lebanon didn't seem to think he was valued either. JMO
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2012 at 10:47pm
adamwlewis "I recently purchased 17 acres of property in town and have been working with Marty to get everything in place so that I can build a single-family home on it with a barn for horses. This has been no easy task and I have done nothing but bug Marty 5-10 times a week with requests for this, that and the other."

Just out of curiosity and not to be negative but, unless you are building a super dooper mansion on the 17 acres, why would it take soo many meetings or requests for information from Marty to build a single family structure?

PacmanCool
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2012 at 2:35am
No kidding pacman, 17 acres in the city of middletown seems like a lot of land for a single house I would be curious where in the city that much land was vacant but wouldnt want to ask.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamwlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2012 at 9:36am
Hey PacMan, glad to answer your questions.

The land was purchased by a bank out of a bankruptcy, and there were lots of preexisting development plans and such that needed to be rescinded before I am able to build. Also, the land has very with little road frontage. Some of the frontage is to a private street, and some to a public street that has not yet been named. The land also has some areas in a flood zone, and has no recorded address. On top of development issues, I've had a lot of basic questions like fencing regulations, regulations for horses and barns, signage regulations (had to put up a lot of no trespassing signs!!!), driveway requirements and variances, etc.

While my 5-10 times a week estimate in my first quote is an exaggeration, I have called Marty at least 20-30 times over the past few months and he's always gone out of his was to get me the information I needed or point me in the right direction.

Bocephus,

I would tell you, but right now it's still a work in process and I have enough trouble keeping all of the dirt bikes and jeeps off of it! Publicly telling everyone where 17 acres of vacant land is seems like a bad idea at this point :) Once the house is built and the pastures cleared and fenced I'll let you know. Maybe I'll have a MUSA Top Posters get together ;-)
Adam Lewis' Blog
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2012 at 10:59am
Sounds very interesting Adam and good luck to you hope it all works out as you want it
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2012 at 12:03pm
Cat's out of the bag, Adam..

C:\Users\troya\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\ISPXLU3Z\12- October 10-PC agenda.doc

AGENDA

MIDDLETOWN CITY PLANNING COMMISSION

REGULAR MEETING

DATE & TIME: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at 6:30 P.M.

PLACE: City Building Council Chamber

MEMBERS: Chris Amburgey Tom Brickey

Mike Dalton Gary Gross

Fred Rentschler Joanne Mejias-Yancey

Don Keffer

A. J. Smith, City Council Representative

Anita Scott Jones, City Council Alternate

Martin D. Kohler, Secretary

I. Roll Call

II. Approval of Minutes – August 8, 2012

III. Public Hearing - Amendment to the Preliminary Development Plans for Renaissance I and II Dwelling Groups

Petitioner: Todd Huss, Representing Grand Communities LTD. On behalf of the property owners Renaissance Land Holdings and Forty One Corporation

Location: On the east side of Interstate 75, southeast of the intersection of State Route 122 and Union Road

Proposal: A request for approval of an amendment to the Renaissance I & II Dwelling Groups Preliminary Development Plans to approve changes to the road layout, lots, open space, amenities, and a new set of architectural elevations and to allow variances of the Housing and Architectural Standards as set forth in Chapter 1225 of the Middletown Zoning Ordinance.

Decision on Amendment to the Preliminary Development Plans for Renaissance I and II Dwelling Groups

IV. Public Hearing – Amendment to the Preliminary and Final Development Plan for Towne Meadows Dwelling Group

Petitioner: Adam Lewis, Property owner

Location: East of Audubon Dr. and north of Vinny Dr. C:\Users\troya\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\ISPXLU3Z\12- October 10-PC agenda.doc

Proposal: To amend the approved development plan to eliminate the construction of 72 attached condominiums and to allow for the construction of one single family dwelling on a 16.7 acre tract.

Decision on Amendment to the Preliminary and Final Development Plan for Towne Meadows Dwelling Group

V. Public Hearing - Use Adjustment Case # 8-12, 6432 Hendrickson Rd.

Petitioner: Mark Sams on Behalf of Life Bridge Christian Church

Location: At the north east corner of Hendrickson Rd. and S. Towne Blvd.

Proposal: To establish a church and related uses in an existing building in the CP (Commercial Professional Office Park District) wherein such uses are not permitted

Decision – Use Adjustment Case # 8-12, 6432 Hendrickson Rd.

VI. Public Hearing - Use Adjustment Case # 9-12, SW corner of Cin-Day Rd. and Hendrickson Rd.

Petitioner: Curt Hoffman on behalf of AJB Realty, LLC. And property owner Third Edge Development LLC and Progressive Animal Welfare Society, Inc.

Location: South West corner of Cin-Day Rd. and Hendrickson Rd. extension

Proposal: To construct a 99 bed skilled nursing home facility in an I-1 (Industrial Park District) wherein such uses are not permitted.

Decision – Use Adjustment Case # 9-12, SW corner of Cin-Day Rd. and Hendrickson Rd

VII. Public Hearing - Use Adjustment Case # 10-12, 2835 Cin-Day Rd.

Petitioner: Andrea R. Rosenbalm on behalf of property owner AAM Properties LLC

Location: West side of Cin-Day Rd. between Oxford State Rd. and Hendrickson Rd.

Proposal: Live wrestling matches and entertainment in a C-4 (General Commercial District) wherein such uses are not permitted.

Decision – Use Adjustment Case # 10-12, 2835 Cin-Day Rd. C:\Users\troya\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\ISPXLU3Z\12- October 10-PC agenda.doc

VIII. Public Hearing - Use Adjustment Case # 11-12, 1905-7 Tytus Ave.

Petitioner: Shelia Hampton on behalf of property owner Schiavone Foods

Location: On the north side of Tytus Ave. between Hughes and Elwood Streets.

Proposal: To establish a homeless shelter or group home with social services in a former restaurant structure in a C-1 (Convenience Commercial District) wherein such uses are not permitted.

Decision – Use Adjustment Case # 11-12, 1905-7 Tytus Ave.

IX. Confirmation of Planning Commission Action - Use Adjustment Case #5-12, 3538 Central Ave.

Confirmation of a Planning Commission action regarding an application from John Ridge on behalf of JMR Holdings, Property Owner, to establish a pre-school educational facility in the existing shopping center at 3538 Central Ave. in a C-1 (Convenience Commercial District) wherein such uses are not permitted.

Decision - Confirmation of Use Adjustment Case #5-12, 3538 Central Ave..

X. Adjournment

The next regular session of Planning Commission will be held on Wednesday, November 14, 2012.

It is the policy of the City of Middletown to make all public hearings and meetings accessible to all persons, in accordance with state and/or federal laws. If you have a disability which requires accommodation in order for you to attend and/or participate in this meeting, please contact us at 425-7922 at least forty-eight hours prior to the time of the meeting to advise us of the need for accommodation, and reasonable efforts shall be made to provide the same.

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamwlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2012 at 12:09pm
BLASTED! I've been outed! Oh well, not like a simple property search wouldn't have turned up the same thing anyways :)
Adam Lewis' Blog
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2012 at 12:53pm
But what's this with the Schiavone's wanting to establish a homeless shelter. 

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamwlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2012 at 2:23pm
Not sure... homeless or group home... I wonder if a group isn't wanting to buy the property from him but the sale is contingent on getting it rezoned and/or approved for the use? Just a thought.
Adam Lewis' Blog
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2012 at 4:06pm

Wonder if these are the same people who were denied on Crawford...

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2012 at 7:46pm
Indeed it is the same person.

Why seek rezoning. Find a piece of property that is zoned for such use.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic