FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Midfirst Ohio Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Midfirst Ohio Challenge
    Posted: Jul 24 2008 at 6:40am
Many don't understand why many citizens don't trust City Government and city leaders.  Here we have a prime example of why.  You can't have it both ways.  Many in the City are in such a hurry to gloss over the problems that they create even more with these type of actions.  Now both of these stories were written after the event had ended.

First on July 21, 2008 Middletown Journal we have:Big%20smile

Fest soars toward record-high numbers

By Daniel Wells

Staff Writer

Monday, July 21, 2008

Sky-high temperatures didn't lower the spirits of the thousands who came out for this weekend's MidFirst Ohio Challenge Hot Air Balloon Festival in Smith Park.

The 90 degree-plus weather did make flying tricky but it didn't keep the balloons on the ground.

Ann Mort, the event's publicity director, estimated attendance this past weekend was on par with last year's number of 73,800.

Then on July 23, 2008 from The Middletown Journal we get and we are talking a 20% drop in attendance I would think that would have been noticeable back on Monday:Cry

Ohio Challenge attendance drops

Festival official says the hot weather was the main reason numbers were down from last year.

By Eric Robinette

Staff Writer

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It was the hot air outside the balloons that deflated attendance at the MidFirst Ohio Challenge this year, its publicity chair said Tuesday, July 22.

Last weekend's festival drew 59,097 people to Smith Park, down from last year's record-setting number of 73,800, according to statistics released by Ann Mort.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2008 at 7:14am
Now, now Pacman- If we move those numbers around a little and do some creative math like our illustrious city government leaders do on their budgets and the General Fund, you will see that everythings alright in Middie land. Just trust those that have your best interest to heart and know that YOUR city leaders would never present a false picture. Don't fight them. Help them when they ask for it. Let's work as a team. Remember, you are always welcome as long as you agree with everything they say and want.
.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2008 at 4:07pm

I noticed that too.

But are you saying the city was responsible for counting the attendance?

Or was it some city leader making the count?

Is Ann Mort on the city payroll?

Did anyone see Mr. Armbruster walking around with one of those hand held counter things?

Can anyone think of a reason to blame this on George W Bush?

Just asking.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2008 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by .308 .308 wrote:

Can anyone think of a reason to blame this on George W Bush?

The Halliburton balloon was NOT there!  Bush must've arranged this through Cheney just to sabotage this event!  Wink
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2008 at 6:31pm
No, I am saying Ann Mort is basically in the loop with the City, I would consider her a Leader.Wink  They should have waited until they had a firm count rather than try to pump up the figures on Monday.  But the City tends to do the same thing.  Rather than results, we get the Hype 100% of the time.

You now the Old Middletown is wonderful speech.  While many people look at it that way. many outsiders looking in don't.
.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2008 at 9:19am

Good points, but generally speaking I believe that oversight and simple human error can be found anywhere and our city leaders and city government are no exception. I find this a much more believable explanation to Most matters as compared to trying to see a conspiracy behind every blunder.

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2008 at 1:26pm

Consider this:

The first article claiming attendance figures on target with 07’s event ran in Monday morning’s edition of the Middletown Journal. 

It is likely that Ann Mort was interviewed either late Saturday afternoon/evening or early morning Sunday to make a press deadline for Monday’s edition.  Perhaps Mort was accurate in her initial assessment based on attendance figures for Friday and Saturday.  She wasn’t quoted in the article giving any figure.  So who knows exactly what Mort told the Journal.  It’s likely she made a very generic statement, such as “on par with last year” and the Journal simply just printed last year’s figure as well.  Nor did it give any intention as to when they spoke with Mort to provide additional perspective.

The threat of storms on Sunday could have affected attendance that day, and ultimately the final number for the entire event.

Ann Mort is one of the biggest cheerleaders Middletown has and has given so much to the Middletown community.  Cut her some slack.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2008 at 3:24pm

So what you are saying roughly 25,000 people came to the Challenge on Fri. and 25,000 Sat. which would put it on par with last years figures and then on Sunday only 9,000 people showed up.  OK if that makes you happy.  Believe....................Wink

I have nothing against Ann, lets just keep things in perspective.  Lets not pretend that everything is wonderful when work needs to be done.  Don't tell me the K-Mart Shopping Center looks wonderful when 2/3's of it looks like crap and 1/3 looks great.  It's time for us to get off our asses and stop fooling ourselves.  Fooling ourselves seems to be a full time job in Middletown, rather than action.  I am more than willing to do my part, so lets get going and stop telling me and everyone else how wonderful it all is and show me how wonderful we can make it by doing something.

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2008 at 4:34pm

What I am saying is that none of us know what time she spoke to the Journal and she could have been accurate in her assessment at that particular time based on what she knew then and what she knew from the previous year.

She didn’t write the headline that attendance soars towards record.  And notice that the statement below was not a direct quote:

Ann Mort, the event's publicity director, estimated attendance this past weekend was on par with last year's number of 73,800.

So we don’t know exactly what she told the Journal.  Her only quote in the article about attendance was that last year was a record setter:

"And that was a record-setter," she said.

And I don’t think she was trying to imply that 08 was going to be a record-setter either.

I think any time citizens of Middletown (and surrounding areas) can pull together and put on an event that can attract 60,000 to 75,000 people is something wonderful, worth celebrating and talking about.

Who’s saying that the K-Mart shopping center looks wonderful?  Ann?  Myself?  I think it looks 100% like crap, especially since Club Roosevelt and Dillmans going to the Save-a-Lot concept.  There are a lot of other centers (Hills, old Target) that look like crap as well.

No one will argue that Middletown has serious problems that need to be address.  But some us also like to talk about the good things that are happening when they do happen.    

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2008 at 12:53pm
BTW SAVEALOT has been a good thing, offering an option to the conventional markets.
AND even though eliminating deli,bakery,cigs and most alcohol(and shortening business hours), SAVEALOT is doing more business than the prior location format.

swohio--you might have your individual preferences, though they simply don't coincide with local demographics and proven shopping patterns.

Pick a shopping center in Middletown proper--they are all suffering.
What beautiful city centers come to mind,swohio?
I was in the Towne Mall last Thursday--that may be the #1 eyesore hitting everyone on the face as they enter the city.
How is Economic Development and the Chamber of Commerce working to improve these situations?

The old Kroger center at the southern end of Breiel has been an eyesore for decades, and the Breiel southern extension plan has obviously fallen off the agenda. Wouldn't this wasteland be the BEST location for the new SunCoke plant?
Nothing happening in the area--very close to AK to eliminate the rail travel to a large degree--no residential impact. Make sense?

Club Roosevelt?
What did the closing gain?
People can still drink,smoke,gamble and find sex at any other local bar or private club in the city, plus you can get shot or killed also.
Club Roosevelt is a perfect example of the inconsistencies within our city hierarchy.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2008 at 7:12am
Swohio, you need to re-visit and look at the Kmart Ctr.  When the Old Dillmans was converted, they did a good job of improving the look, the Center needs a facelift all the way around as the does the Parking Lot.   Has the City been in contact with the Landowners to see about any improvements.   My point is the City Officials are constantly telling us Middletown is wonderful, wonderful, wonder.......but in reality if needs an image boost physically and mentally.  Why do you think people don't move here?
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2008 at 10:06am
Packman:

Why attack the city and Ann Mort? I don't think this is any big deal. Lets worry about how we can fix our potholes without raising taxes. 

Sure there are people who are corrupt in government. But Ann Mort isn't one of them. She has done more for Middletown than most. Find a better target for your tirade.

One that is hurting our town, not helping.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2008 at 10:49am

There is a fine line between a city government being a cheerleader for a good image and .... say ...becoming a sign Nazi.

As far at the Journal goes I remember an article they wrote a few years back claiming Aeronca made B52 bombers that took part in World War II. So who knows where they get their facts.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2008 at 10:55am
John: As a longtime resident of this town ( since 1948) and as an observer/participant of the good times ( the late 50's and the 60's), I can relate to what Pacman( I think) is trying to convey in his messages as they relate to the current and some past leaders of this community. In the past, it seemed as if we elected council and school board members that understood what the community needed and what the citizens wanted in this town. They seemed to be more " in tune" with the general public. They were more friendly and more "approachable" with the public and certainly gave the impression that they were more trustworthy. They did a better job at running the city and teaching the kids too as compared to today's crew. Back then, when an idea was formed, logical/measurable action was taken and the taxpayer could actually see and benefit from those decisions/actions. As an example, during the 60's and 70's, we saw the boulevard system installed that gets us around town in a much more expedient manner than before. We saw the city expand beyond Central Avenue into the WPFB area with MUM established.A high school built in 1970. The airport was operational with Armco flight operations. Now, we have a shadow of all of this caused by some outsiders that changed the course from progressive to stagnated or regressive. Unfortunately, right or wrong, Ann Mort, being associated with this newcomer group, has been labeled as an affliate of the "club" that has helped take this town in an unwise direction. There are some of us older residents that do not like what has been done to this town by the folks that have come in the last 20 to 30 years. Right or wrong, fair or not, that is the undertow that is occuring here.JMO-Comments?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2008 at 1:48pm
Mrs.(and Mr.)Mort are in no way part of our problems.
They are both fine caring & involved people who personify the term "volunteer".
I like the Morts and am VERY glad that they live here.
Do I agree with them on everything? Of course not!

vet--when I look at our Council,school board and associated admins, I don't see a large group of newbies(or "outsiders"--your term). I see people who have been here for a while, truly care about our community and WANT to make a difference. Our problems have come mostly from our long-termers who are unwilling to change or accept the new demands for accountability. Most "outsiders" don't hang around here for long anyway.

jmo

Being born here and living here for your entire life(like you and I) hardly makes one right,wrong or well-intentioned. The 50s and 60s are gone 4ever. The entire world has changed, and there is no return to the "happy days". The guaranteed legacy well-paying/benefitted factory jobs are only a memory. Opportunities for unskilled, half-educated workers are non-existent. We, and most other communities, are in a period of transition. We are struggling to establish a new identity. Hopefully we will find something(hopefully many things) to provide opportunity for those willing to do the hard work. also becoming community role models and neighborhood contributors.

It all starts within your own home.
Then it branches to your immediate neighbors and neighborhoods.
When we restore pride and order locally, the feeling has to spread.
"Us vs. them" will never succeed. There is really only one side.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2008 at 3:11pm
Spider: the "us vs. them" mentality was just not thought up by the group of people who resist the influence the "club" has in this town. This attitude was cultivated/nurtured through years of not being listened to by the leadership of this town. It has come to fruition since the 80's when this town started to struggle. It takes the two sides to meet somewhere in the middle for understanding. I don't see the one side moving despite the pleas from the many letters to the editor, the posts on this and the Journal's blogs, the SoundOffs in the Journal and when council is addressed at Council meetings. All I see is a group of community leaders who, at best, may listen as a common courtesy, then ignore what you say and do what they want without an explanation. That is not cooperation. My guess is the dynamic movers and shakers that made an impact on Middletown are all gone.They either died, retired and moved away or are sitting in their Middletown home, totally disgusted as years have gone by as I am. As for accepting accountability, I don't see the new crop(post 70's) of leaders accepting any accountability. As a matter of fact, I don't see any of the new crop( post 70's) of leaders DOING ANYTHING to require accountablity. To accept accountability, one has to make a decision that one will be judged on. I see major procrastination on the part of both the school board and the council UNLESS IT INVOLVES PLACING A LEVY ON THE BALLOT TO GENERATE MORE REVENUE. Only then, are they definite on their decision making.Struggling for a new identity?- We've been "struggling" since the 80's. That is 28 years ago. How long should it take for one town to get it's act together? Other towns have made the switch and did it years ago. Why are the leaders in this town so darn stubborn when it comes to identifying what works and implementing it? Lord knows, there are plenty of game plans around to copy suit.Why the reluctance? I live on Rachel Lane. My neighborhood is "orderly and prideful". So are other areas of town. We will always have those areas that don't seem to get the message on pride and orderliness. I can name the areas of town that haven't in the past and will never change for the better, but won't. You know them also. You are correct- the 50's/60's are gone and we need to find the progressive alternative to those prosperous times( as you say- our identity)BUT- we need to place people in key positions that will make that happen. We haven't found the right combination of people in over 30 years. That's what is so hard to believe!In general,all councils and school boards since the 80's have been inundated with non-decision/non-direction makers. As for Ann Mort- she is self appointed cheerleader and spokesperson for Middletown.At times, she has a tendency to paint a "rose-colored glasses" portrait of a situation that isn't necessarily very positive. It's this tendency of denial from her and city leaders that infuriates some of us. Spider- she is still an outsider because she wasn't around when we were properous and she hasn't a basis of comparison for the way that it was. It's not her fault, it's just the way it is. JMO
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2008 at 3:16pm

John no one said Mort was corrupt or attacking her personally.  It is a matter of lets get things right.  Now we bring Mr. Mort into this. 

John if we all sit here and just nod our heads up and down, you know where we will all be next year at this time, right where we are now and the year after that and the year after that.  I have lived here going on 5 years and have seen ZERO change in the city for the good.  It is the same issues now as they had 5 years ago only they have gotten worse.

We can all continue to just tell ourselves everything is wonderful in Middletown or we can face the fact that Middletown has issues that it needs to face and resolve.  It appears that the "Middletown is Wonderful" crowd is the overwhelming majority and is happy to keep telling themselves and everyone else that.

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2008 at 4:36pm
Pacman et al

You all raise good valid points, many which I agree. But we must have some good too. Its here staring us in the face. Middfest, Broad Street Bash, Fenwick and Greek Festivals (plus many others), our park sports and activities. Middletown is still a good place with great potential and very affordable housing.

I want to make the forum constructive with positive leanings.

Heres hoping. And thanks for sharing your opinions. I read everyone of them.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2008 at 6:56am
John: Your entertainment examples are valid. There are some positives that can be mentioned about Middletown. I tend to take the positives for granted and concentrate on the negatives about the community because of the urgency to address them. It is difficult for me seeing the town, that I care about, disintegrate right before my eyes. The character and personality of the town has changed dramatically over the years from a town of progress and prosperity, to a town of stagnation and one that has been bypassed by surrounding communities that were once cornfields. It's difficult to see this transpire when one was around for the "good times". Yes, this town has great potential but that potential hasn't been developed for many years, I believe, due in part, to past and current city leaders that have formed many action plans over the years, but don't know how to execute them nor finance them. City Centre Mall- marketing failure. Lake Middletown- EPA/sediment fine failure. Bicentennial Commons- Non-usage failure. Airport- marketing/non-usage failure. Downtown area- marketing failure. Towne Mall- marketing failure in conjunction with the owners.Economic Development Program- failure so far as to significant positive impact on the community. No high paying jobs as yet. The affordable housing is caused by the exodus from town due to lack of decent paying jobs, the manner in which this town is being administered, and the perception that the town is stagnant.People are willing to take losses to unload them. The house you buy in the Oaks for $230,000 now, would go for $350-$400 thou. in West Chester. Positive change starts with a total change in thinking out of the city building/ council and the school board. Electing the same old recycled candidates will yield the same old recycled failed, non-decision, non- committed actions that have brought this town to it's knees. It's time to let a new group of progressive thinkers take center stage. The old guard has had their chance and failed.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2008 at 10:22am
John I think we can all stipulate that we have nice Parks and decent Festivals.  The problem is most people don't move anywhere for the Parks and Festivals.  Now with that out of the way, why can't the city move forward in tackling some of it's major issues, and no I don't expect it to happen overnight.

1)  Lack of amenities to draw people to move to Middletown.  This requires more involvement with the business community.

2)  Roadway Improvements, they want a tax increase which I seriously doubt will be forthcoming in the next two years, with the school levy's that are coming.

3)  Section 8---Save approximately $1,000,000.00 per year by giving Butler County and Warren County the 1663 Section 8 vouchers that Middletown has and pays to have administered by an outside company.  This program benefits only 5-10% of the population if that much.  I have discussed this elsewhere on this blog and it appears that currently Council is going to stay with the status quo.  Gee $1,000,000.00 would do what for the city?

4)  Downtown desperately needs something and soon and it needs to be privately funded.  But I don't see a lot of Private money rushing to rehab downtown. 

5)  Much of the housing stock in Middletown is outdated and needs serious help, where is Mr. Sawyer I don't know enough about Real Estate for this one.

6)  Controlling Costs.  In my business with the current economy I have had to make drastic changes in my financials, cut backs, restructuring debt, etc. to stay healthy financially the city needs to do the same.

You get the point these are a few of the issues that need to be addressed now.   The Parks and Festivals are already rolling along and doing fine lets move on to the more pressing matters.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2008 at 10:51am
Its great to have ideas. But we need people to spearhead. Our jobs as concerned citizens is to engage those who can get things done. Like Packman's point #3.

The city really needs to downsize, but it can't without reducing services. That's why, through good times and bad, we need those who care be those who do.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2008 at 11:34am
John- "concerned citizens should engage those that can get things done". There are people who have been living in this town that have been here longer than your 21 year old business that have been trying to engage those who can "get things done". THIS IS THE SOURCE OF THE FRUSTRATION. We "engage" them by addressing them at council meetings. We "engage" them through Letters To The Editor. We "engage" them through the SoundOffs. We "engage" them by participating on their Street Repair Committee. But John, they have to have a desire TO BE ENGAGED. It is a one direction conversation with these people. They don't respond to "joe average citizen" They only respond to those that they consider within their realm of acceptance. I have suggested that the city downsize positions in the Street Repair Committee meetings. They DIDN'T RESPOND to that line of thinking. They don't want to hear it.They want business as usual. This town can't tolerate more "business as usual" anymore. We already have indicated that we care. We have been trying to "DO" for years! How do you propose that we open their minds and change their attitudes?
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2008 at 12:14pm
VietVet

I appreciate and concur with your comments. There was a time that I was so frustrated with the city that I was ready to relocate anywhere. And I almost did. So I know what you are saying.

But I do believe that Judy Gilleland is much more open minded than previous city managers. My suggestion is to post constructive thoughts that people can act upon. You would be surprised who reads this website and forum. although our readership is small, it is also made up of people educated and interested in the city.

So lets build a database of ideas for those who can do. Lets make sure our ideas and suggestions for a better Middletown are right in front of our most educated citizens.

Sure its one small step.

But just like Neil Armstrong: That's one small step for (a) man; one giant leap for mankind.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2008 at 5:39pm
John: I agree that Ms. Gilleland has some promise as opposed to what we have had in the recent past. I do believe that city managers from years ago (Bill Klosterman/Dale Helsel(?) did a more effective job than more recent managers such as Ron Olson. They seemed to grow the town in a fashion that was more progressive and the town seemed to prosper more under their guidance.As for the database of ideas: Airport- need to replace the Hogan Air operation with another cargo carrier. A citizen that I talked to recently suggested contacting a cargo carrier that operates out of the Dayton Airport(or Cincy Airport) and ask about interest in using the Midd. airport for cleaning the aircraft fleet and doing night maintenance.Perhaps if successful, the city might work with these carriers to upgrade the Midd. airport facilities. Might provide job opportunities for Middletonians, which leads to suggestion two- higher paying jobs. Fiber optics, corporate warehouse operations, defense contractor operations, Japanese auto operations/ultrasonics operations like they see in Eaton. Research and development operations which would create higher paying jobs and enhance the chances of filling our abundant housing vacancies. If all these jobs came to Middletown, retail would come to follow the money sources. You wouldn't need to market the town. It would market itself with the money influx and flow. The schools- you've got to get the scores back up to where they are suppose to be. When that happens, the schools reputation will be out of the gutter and people will start considering buying in Midd. again. The schools have taken an awful beating on their reputation because of their performance.The town looks "junky" in certain areas. Enforce the grass height codes, enforce the "junk around the house" codes. No excuse for this- you can be poor, but you can still pick up your trash and take a little pride in what you do own. Buy a bucket of paint once in a while. There you are John and people "who can do"- that's a start on John's suggestion of constructive thoughts. More to come, if wanted.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic