FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Art Central Foundation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Art Central Foundation
    Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 1:22pm
MASONIC TEMPLE 11-27-2012

Where will Art Central get the $500,000 needed to resstore this building?
Good luck!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 10:25am
TonyB:

"You see stupidity; I see a well executed plan to control the downtown business district".

Only if the plan works TonyB. To date, I don't see an indication (albeit in the early stages) of the "downtown plan" being successful. Alot of empty buildings of all sizes..... still not alot of activity down there on a consistent basis, right? Is CS showing any measurable activity as yet? How many students are packing the sidewalks to and from classes? How about those coffee houses and sandwich shops? Enough of a downtown crowd to entice new business yet? Pockets of activity, then goes silent until the next event. Kinda hit and miss right now, isn't it?

How much time should we give it to call or ? What happens if this grand plan doesn't work with all the money and effort put forth? Another botched scheme by our city leaders? To date, they have failed at everything they have touched, haven't they?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 10:14pm
Vet,

Your looking for something that just isn't there. There is no economic logic to do what the city has done in buying those buildings because it was never about the money. It was about CONTROL of the economic activity in the downtown area. The statement by Councilman Picard should tell you everything you need to know when you compare it with the list of tenants in the mothballed buildings that were not a part of the Cincinnati State project. 1 North Main was filled with tenants yet now it's mothballed and all the tenants have relocated. Why wasn't it important for that building to be filled and remain filled with tenants? Did city council discriminate against the tenants of 1 North Main in order to control what businesses are in downtown? You see stupidity; I see a well executed plan to control the downtown business district.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 8:37pm
Today's Journal....

City may donate Masonic Temple

MIDDLETOWN — Giving away one of the four Main Street buildings the city spent $300,000 for in 2010 to a Middletown arts organization is in the best interest of revitalizing downtown, city officials said Thursday

Some residents have questioned why the city would give away a property bought with taxpayer dollars. But many on City Council believe donating the building is in the best interest of revitalizing downtown

NOW HERE'S A GOOD ONE FROM MULLIGAN.....

“There’s not a ton of value really left in that building,” Mayor Larry Mulligan said. “Any little money we would get from the organization would be better spent in putting it back into the building for the betterment of downtown.”

OK, IF "THERE'S NOT A TON OF VALUE REALLY LEFT IN THAT BUILDING" AS MULLIGAN STATES, WHY DID THEY USE TAXPAYER MONEY TO PURCHASE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE, AND WHY DID THEY PAY THE PRICE THEY DID FOR IT?

NOW HERE'S A STATEMENT THAT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE AT ALL FROM GILLELAND.....

Gilleland said she believes the city will recoup the taxpayer dollars used to buy the buildings.

HOW IN THE HELL IS THE CITY GOING TO RECOUP THE MONEY PAID FOR THESE BUILDINGS IF THEY GIVE THEM AWAY FOR FREE? HOW CAN YOU RECOUP DOLLARS BY SPENDING MONEY AND THEN GIVING SOMETHING AWAY FOR FREE? SOMEONE WANT TO EXPLAIN THAT LOGIC TO ME?

Councilman A.J. Smith supported Gilleland’s belief the city will get taxpayer’s money back

HOW WILL THAT HAPPEN SMITH? PLEASE EXPLAIN.

“I think the donation to the Art Central Foundation is a great move on our part,” Smith said. “They do a lot for downtown Middletown, and the community at large.”

NO, THE "COMMUNITY AT LARGE" ISN'T INTERESTED IN WHAT THE ART CENTRAL FOUNDATION DOES. 5% OF THE COMMUNITY WOULD BE INTERESTED SMITH....IF THAT.

Council woman Anita Scott Jones believes over time the Art Central Foundation’s initiatives will provide the city with many ancillary benefits.

AND WHAT WOULD THOSE "ANCILLARY BENEFITS" BE MS, JONES?

NOTICE HOW GILLELAND, SMITH AND JONES MAKE THESE GENERALIZED STATEMENTS TRYING TO JUSTIFY THIS NONSENSE, BUT NEVER OFFER SPECIFICS TO CLARIFY THEIR GENERALIZATIONS?

“They have invested a lot into that building, and it ties in with what’s going on with downtown Middletown,” Jones said

AND......SO WHAT? MEANINGLESS.

Vice Mayor Dan Picard said by giving the building, it keeps a downtown building filled.
“There isn’t a buyer for it, and I don’t know how long we could continue to carry it,” said Picard

SO THE POLICY IS TO BUY A BUILDING AT THE ASKING PRICE, SIT ON IT HOPING AND PRAYING THAT SOMEONE COMES ALONG AND OFFERS TO BUY IT, THEN FINDING OUT THAT IT'S A WHITE ELEPHANT AND AN ALBATROSS AROUND THE CITY'S NECK, SO THEY END UP GIVING IT AWAY. GREAT PLAN. WELL THOUGHT OUT.

THIS WHOLE SITUATION IS A CLUSTER AND ANOTHER BVNGLED MESS CREATED BY STUPIDITY AT THE CITY MANAGEMENT LEVEL. HINT....GET OUT OF THE REAL ESTATE BUSINESS AND LET THE PRIVATE SECTOR, USING PRIVATE SECTOR MONEY, TAKE THE RISKS. STOP USING TAXPAYER MONEY FOR YOUR RISKY PROGRAMS.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Bocephus Bocephus wrote:

Originally posted by Miss Kitty Miss Kitty wrote:

If the Moormans can't get it for almost free and turn around and make big money, they don't want it. Maybe they want to strip the old building of its hard wood and stained glass and then tear it down.

Maybe if the muslims bought it and opened a mosque that would make you happy,I hope and pray that Romney wins on Nov.6th so you liberals can go cry your eyes out.

What?
Miss Kitty View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Kitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 6:09pm
Well, if the Muslims did purchase the building for a Mosque, the Moormans could do the stained glass work like they did in West Chester!!! and make MORE $$$
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Miss Kitty Miss Kitty wrote:

If the Moormans can't get it for almost free and turn around and make big money, they don't want it. Maybe they want to strip the old building of its hard wood and stained glass and then tear it down.

Maybe if the muslims bought it and opened a mosque that would make you happy,I hope and pray that Romney wins on Nov.6th so you liberals can go cry your eyes out.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 6:26pm
Middletown29 - Jay and Linda were instrumental in bringing The Pendleton concept to Middletown so why would they want to compete with it.

I believe their hands are pretty full with all the other projects they have going on.
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 3:56pm
As I nderstand they wanted to open an event center. But Gilliland does not want anything that she thinks competes with The Pendleton,
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Kitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 3:16pm
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2012 at 7:28pm
Maybe they do.....but the fact remains there was an offer to buy the building Gilliland is now wanting to give away.

It is crazy.

When is city council going to wake up.
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2012 at 5:18pm
The Moormans say many things.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2012 at 6:21am
Why would the City give a way a building when someone has offered to pay for it.
Talk to the Moorman's.
Something smells very bad on this one.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Kitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2012 at 10:21am
I wonder what Mrs Wittman pays herself to be president of ACF?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2012 at 11:46pm
Don't you remember these rallying cries:

This time we will succeed...this time we've got Beau Verre!!!

This time we will succeed...this time we've got PAC!!!

This time we will suceed...this time we've got Cincinnati State!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2012 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by tomahawk35 tomahawk35 wrote:

If they didn't have any value,why did the city waste the taxpayer's money ? Oh that 's right they have been doing that all the time.
That's easy!!!  City Hall was afraid that someone might buy one of them and use it for a real business (City Hall would not approve of that, of course) that had a chance to succeed, and that then it would take Marty and his friends a couple of years to drive them into bankruptcy.

That could cause a delay in them trying their failed, risky scheme over...again!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2012 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by SupportMiddletown SupportMiddletown wrote:

The building would cost a couple hundred thousand to demolish and would not hold very many parkings space, so the city is really giving away something that doesn't have much value anyway.
If they didn't have any value,why did the city waste the taxpayer's money ? Oh that 's right they have been doing that all the time.
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2012 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

"The Art Central Foundation has leased the former Masonic Temple Building since it set up a downtown location several years ago."

Really? Then I have a problem with the city’s accounting department.
Under what name is Art Central leasing this property?

RESEARCH…..
Downtown Fund 2011 Revenue shows the following:
Gemini Music Studio
NAACP
Weinrich Law Office
Intergrated Electrical Solutions
Fred Ross
Landendorf Law Office
Hoglund Atty
Gary Swupe
Primary Heath Butler Co.
Don Imhof Law
Don Whittington
Miami Univ
Cox Ohio
Bill Bowen Law
Casper & Casper
Crown Castle
Mark McClure
Sonshine Products
Dan The Plant Man
Patriots Communications

Hmmm...Where did all these business go when the City took over these properties?
How much revenue has the city lost?
Hmmm…lots of questions seem to need answers.

Many of the tenants you listed were not in the Masonic Temple, but the other buildings bought as part of the package (most First National). You are right on to question where these businesses went. If you walked through the old First National Building during its final days, you would have seen notices from all the relocated tenants, most seemed to have relocated out of the city. Casper and Casper went to East Pointe, some went to Breiel, Cox went to Liberty Township...

As far as why ACF is not on the list, I believe they had an agreement to use the building rent free (or $1) if they took care of all utilities and maintenance costs.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2012 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

I just found it interesting that our city manager stated that "arts" is the theme and the reason for the move
This is the crux of the matter.

City Hall thinks that they have to control everything, and the problem is that they just don't do a very good job of it.  They don't use common sense.  They ignore market analyses.  They think that they can "force" the outcome that they desire regardless of how illogical it may be.

The result is that they fail...but instead of learning from their mistakes, they keep repeating them over and over by trying the same things over and over.  So they fail over and over...but they don't seem to care since they don't really pay a price.  It is not their money, it is "free" money courrtesy of the taxpayers.  They keep getting their paychecks just like clockwork (also courtesy of the taxpayers).

Anyone who tries to invest private money in downtown by starting a business that CAN succeed it is met with resistance from City Hall since such businesses likely don't meet City Hall's vision.  City Hall then throws one roadblock after another at them until the business fails.

City Hall is downtown's problem, not its solution.  Downtown will never have a chance at success until wholesale changes are made at 1 Donham Plaza!!! 
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2012 at 8:25pm
hey crazy
I like the ACF
I support them getting the building
I just found it interesting that our city manager stated that "arts" is the theme ansd the reason for the move
Then Sue pops off stating that retail and a restaurant downstairs are the top priority
So--what ACF activities have been going on down there lately?
I get invited to cool parties that usually cost me a lot of $$, but other that that??
I trust the ACF leadership until they become married to city admin
Then, u\sually, things begin to get strange

jmo

hey--better them than a freebie to someone else
But could we keep it's use as advertised and intended?
Would make a great party/music spot!
crazycatcher View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazycatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2012 at 8:23pm
Viv

Money for not-for-profits comes from all types of places and I'm guessing the money needed to renovate and operate this building the ACF will continue to look towards all of those sources. I think Mr. Thatcher's desire was just to give, whatever group, a low cost alternative so they could focus on what their mission was versues just giving them a building, that yes, quite frankly they could not afford to upkeep. He spent thousands on the building just to get it ready for the Rising Phoenix when they were in there.
I do not believe you are against the arts and a huge portion of me agrees that just giving the building to the ACF is not appropriate considering many things. But I also think empty buildings are pointless. So either let people use them or tear them down. A rental and or lease agreement in this partiular situation would be more appropriate.  As for the MHS I just know what I've heard and while they may at one time wanted the Bank One Building I do not think they do any longer. And while I'm not a tax attorney I do believe there is benefit of giving large sums to a NFP even if you are a city...but don't quote me on that.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2012 at 3:34pm

You all know that those buildings, whichever were intended for Cincy State, or some other venture will just sit there until someone is brave enough to take one of them on and renovate it and do something productive with it.
Where will ACF get the needed funds to renovate this building?

So what is all the clamouring for? You scream and scream on this site about the taxpayer well if the tax payer was so upset about what was going on in Middletown then this site, the voting polls, etc., would have a lot more interest.
I can not speak for the actions of others.

As for the Masonic building and Vivian's cry for proof of leasing funds. Before Perry died he offered to give the
Masonic Building to several diffrent organizations in town. All turned him down accept the ACF they saw something in it and still do apparently. So for the cost of the utilities they were "given" the building. When Perry died and the city took over the buildings they honored Perry's agreement with the ACF becasue the organization had already scheduled several events. When the city decided to "mothball" their collected properties ACF got the boot.

If that was Mr Thatcher intent then he should have signed the deed and turned the property over to ACF. 
Then Art Central did not have a lease they simply had an understanding to use the building for the payment of utilities. Wasn't the last ACF event held at PAC Ballroom because the Masonic Temple was too small?

They are a passionate group of people who believe in what they do. Much like some woman and her crusade for a cemetary. Not sure why Spiderjohn is all hopped up on this issue, pretty dure he has generously donated to this oganization several times.
Crazycatcher, I’m not against the Arts or ACF but this building was purchased with public funds. Therefore it should be sold or offered to someone that will open a business and produce property taxes and jobs in the downtown area. When questioned that is what Ms Judy and City Council said they would do with the buildings that were not used by CS.
Last year we were told the City was going broke and now they are giving away property.
Why are we asking other bussinesses to purchase building while other commercial property is given away? Why don't these buildings have a FOR SALE sign on them?

As for the Historical Society they are in no way taking over or have they requested the
Bank One Building. At one time this might have been rumoured but they have moved on to other prospects.

The City received a letter from the MHS shortly after they aquired the property, requesting the Bank One building. I believe it was read during a city council meeting, therefore It is public record. Where will MHS get the funds to renovate this building?

As for those busineses that used to be in the First National Bank Building...look around Viv most of those busineses are still in Middletown, paying taves.some are at the Pendelton, you know where Casper and Casper are. a few are in the First Financial Building down the street. and who gives a crap about COX Ohio it's not like we have the Middletown Journal any more.

crazycatcher View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazycatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2012 at 1:37pm
You all know that those buildings, whichever were intended for Cincy State, or some other venture will just sit there until someone is brave enough to take one of them on and renovate it and do something productive with it. So what is all the clamouring for? You scream and scream on this site about the taxpayer well if the tax payer was so upset about what was going on in Middletown then this site, the voting polls, etc., would have a lot more interest.
As for the Masonic building and Vivian's cry for proof of leasing funds. Before Perry died he offered to give the Masonic Building to several diffrent organizations in town. All turned him down accept the ACF they saw something in it and still do apparently. So for the cost of the utilities they were "given" the building. When Perry died and the city took over the buildings they honored Perry's agreement with the ACF becasue the organization had already scheduled several events. When the city decided to "mothball" their collected properties ACF got the boot.

They are a passionate group of people who believe in what they do. Much like some woman and her crusade for a cemetary. Not sure why Spiderjohn is all hopped up on this issue, pretty dure he has generously donated to this oganization several times. As for the Historical Society they are in no way taking over or have they requested the Bank One Building. At one time this might have been rumoured but they have moved on to other prospects.

As for those busineses that used to be in the First National Bank Building...look around Viv most of those busineses are still in Middletown, paying taves.some are at the Pendelton, you know where Casper and Casper are. a few are in the First Financial Building down the street. and who gives a crap about COX Ohio it's not like we have the Middletown Journal any more.

later folks..Wink
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2012 at 1:24pm
The City sold the CG&E Building for $201,000 to Cincy State-HEP.
This is the same property that Mr. Thatcher was leasing to
Casper & Casper and Cox Publishing for $15,069.55 per month.
….and yet the building was only sold for $201,000 plus Cincy State-HEP  were given the old
Senior Center
I'm sure glad we have a these a real estate guru working for our city.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2012 at 12:46pm

What was the total amount of property taxes that Mr. Thatcher paid on the Manchester Inn, Sonshine Products, CG&E building, Bank One, First National Bank and the Masonic Temple the year before he sold these properties to the city? Hmmm…Now they have no value? LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

How much money has the city spent on upkeep, utilities and taxes on these building since they were purchased? CryCryCryCry

ROI?…I think not!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic