FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

School Replacement / Levy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 11:32am
TonyB!

"While the area still lags in test score performance, they are improving and continued improvement would help in passing a levy"

Tony, I'll ask you the question I ask everyone who sees and admits that the test scores have languished in the abyss, the indicators, by Ms. Andrew's own admission have reduced in number from the 10 of 26 they had at one time to 6(?) of 26, and, as we keep passing levies, albeit after the second and third time of cramming it down our throats, why on earth would people look the other way and suggest they are improving and "with continued improvement would help a levy pass?"

Everyone has seen the test scores for a least a decade. Everyone has not seen any significant improvement coming out of the new elementaries that were built years ago. Everyone sees the reduction in indicators met. Everyone sees that the schools have not moved from continuous improvement for a decade or more. Yet, we have comments that suggest that if we just do a little bit more for them in support through levy approvals, things might change. Where is the evidence that will happen? Haven't we thrown enough money down the perverbial black hole of "just one more time and maybe they will improve" to conclude that they might always be stuck at continuous improvement and we are wasting money by approving their levies? I'll ask you what I ask Ms. Andrew......how much more time (and money) do we give it before we decide to pull the plug and feel there is no more value added benefits? I say 2 or 3 decades is enough time to improve. JMO
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 9:47am
Vivian, please provide any evidence you have to support your statement that Dr. Price wanted more Section 8 in the City. Despite some weaknesses, Dr. Price is a very smart guy who knows better than most the challenges of teaching kids from low socio-economic backgrounds, and that more students from these households would depress test scores for the district (on which he was judged). I find it very hard to believe that he would have encouraged the City to increase Section 8 housing. Also, my understanding is that City Council members who presided during the time that vouchers were dramatically increased did not even realize what was happening or the long term consequences. If that is the case, how do you claim that the school superintendent knew what was happening, let alone promoted it? City government is separate from the schools.

Support Middletown, the percentage amount of the state matching funds was determined by the OSFC at the beginning of Middletown's master plan before the bond levy for the first phase (the elementary schools). The percentage of the total cost that the state will pay is different for each district and was determined based on the "property wealth" or real estate tax base, of the district. At the time the calculation was done, property wealth included the tax base for both real property and business tangible property (equipment and inventory) that was subject to real estate taxes. Middletown was considered a high property wealth district due to its industrial base, primarily AK Steel. Based on this, the state assigned us 26% (I think that is right--I may be off a few percentage points) as the amount the state would pay. Subsequent to this determination, the state legislature revamped the tax structure for businesses, eliminating real estate taxes for business tangible property and putting in place a Commercial Activity Tax for business income. The net result for businesses may or may not be a wash, I don't know, but the net result for schools and others that rely on property tax revenue was a substantial reduction in revenue (the Commercial Activity Tax revenue goes to the state general fund). We have worked with our state representative, Tim Derickson, to amend the law to allow for Middletown and a few other districts in a similar situation to have their state match percentage recalculated based on the current "property wealth" of the district, without the ability to tax equipment and inventory. Twice the legislature has passed a provision to correct the unequitable situation, and twice Governor Kasich has rejected it with a line item veto.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 10:01am
LMAO,

What do you mean by year round school? Do you mean a calendar that would result in an increased number of days in school, or do you mean a calendar that just spreads the same number of school days more evenly over the calendar?

There is some evidence that increasing the number of school days would result in increased student learning and performance on standardized tests. There are a lot of positives to this idea of having kids in school longer. The benefits are especially great for students whose home life is not enriching or worse, is detrimental to their learning and character development. The main negative is the cost; teachers are paid based on the current calendar and can not be expected to work additional weeks for no additional pay. It is part of the contracts and would have to be negotiated. As personnel expenses are roughly 70% of any district's budget, you are talking about a large increase in costs. Let me know what you think, do you think taxpayers would support a new operating levy specifically to pay for more days in school?

As for spreading the same number of school days more evenly over the calendar, the results from districts that have done it are mixed. The rationale is that during long times away from school, kids forget what they have learned, and so they will remember more and need less time on review and repetition if the breaks are shorter. But the evidence does not really support this assumption.

A secondary concern with both ideas is resistance from parents and students who are used to the current school year calendar and want a long summer off for family time, sports, student jobs, etc.

I do not see a connection to the school facilities issue.

Thanks for raising the subject.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 10:20am
Multitrack

A multitrack schedule divides students into multiple tracks so that one group goes to school while another group takes vacation.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 11:38am
Ms. Andrew:

"The main negative is the cost; teachers are paid based on the current calendar and can not be expected to work additional weeks for no additional pay. It is part of the contracts and would have to be negotiated"

WHAT???? Teachers are salaried and are exempt aren't they? Do they not negotiate a SALARIED/EXEMPT contract periodically? If so, the exempt status means that they are NOT paid for extra hours worked JUST AS A MANAGER. ENGINEER, VP OR PRESIDENT EXPERIENCES IN PRIVATE INDUSTRY. IT IS PART OF THE JOB IN THE EXEMPT CATEGORY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE LARGER SALARY OFFERED VERSUS NON-EXEMPT SALARIES, WHO ARE ELIGIBLE TO COLLECT OVERTIME PAY.

SOOOO.....TEACHERS CAN BE ASKED TO WORK MORE HOURS FOR THE SAME SALARY THEY AGREED TO IN THE CONTRACT TALKS. THEY ARE EXEMPT AND SHOULD RECEIVE NO OVERTIME PAY. SAME WITH PRINCIPALS, THE SUPER, ETC. THEY ARE NOT BEING SINGLED OUT HERE AS MANY EXEMPT PEOPLE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT THESE CONDITIONS.

THERE SHOULD BE NO LEVY FOR THIS AS THE SCHOOL DISTRICT SHOULD INCUR NO ADDITIONAL COSTS FOR THE OVERTIME HOURS WORKED. IF THE TEACHERS THINK THEY ARE GETTING THE SHAFT, LET THEM NEGOTIATE THE ISSUE AT BARGAINING TIME NEXT GO-AROUND. WHY DO THESE PEOPLE LIVE BY DIFFERENT RULES THAN 90% OF THE NON-ACADEMIC WORLD MUST DO? WHAT IS SO SPECIAL THAT THEY HAVE TO HAVE INDIVIDUALIZED COTTLING?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Jameshh View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jameshh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 12:36pm
Can you handle the rule truth? I have served on the facilities committee for over 15 years and have been in all the buildings and not just the front office. We truly do need to replace the middle school building as it is a broken building. It is not up to codes for handicap students, has poor lighting, poor plumbing, VERY poor heating system and NO air conditioning. This building I know is a sacred cow in the district but it is also a cash cow! Our children and teachers cannot perform at levels they are capable when dealing with the environment we have stuck them in.

The rule truth of why are scores are not high though is we have VERY high numbers of kids on free and reduced lunches and a lot of parents that just don't care! This can be a great district and has produced several great students but ALL parents have to have a greater involment in their child's life and several parents need to quit thinking their little brats can do no wrong. All you negative pukers on here should go visit our middle schools for several days and see what the staff goes thru with some of our kids and parents or let me say lack of real parenting and then you will have a much better understanding of why the scores are where they are. It only take one rotten apple to ruin a whole bushel so yes it's true that we are so very close to achieving that next level.

FYI, I am not a teacher but an involved parent of former great Middie students and a spouse of a current staff member (not a teacher).

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 1:04pm
Vet, I am well aware of salaried/exempt status in the private sector. I work as a professional in a field where you are expected to work as many hours as it takes to get your work done to very high expectations, for an annual salary. Although teachers are professionals, they are subject to a very different set of rules because they are unionized, and they are public employees so there are state laws regulating many work/benefit conditions. The bottom line is that the contract between the teachers union and the school district sets out how many working days per year, and how many hours per day with students and without we may require teachers to work. Some teachers won't stay a minute longer for a meeting; others come early and stay late and ask for more time to collaborate with other teachers and administrators. We cannot make any unilateral changes on the number of school days in the year. You are right that if they don't like it they can leave, and wouldn't you leave to go to another employer that offers the same or more pay for x number of weeks less work? Unless every other district in the area decided at the same time to add weeks of school for no additional pay, we would have no teachers left.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 1:34pm
LMAO, thank you for your clarification, I was taking a different meaning from your suggestion of year round school. So, are you suggesting that Verity would be big enough if the students were on a split/dual track schedule?

I think the dual track would still be more expensive, because it would require the teachers and other staff to work year round? A new building is a one-time expense, whereas a payroll increase repeats each year, so there would need to be a detailed financial analysis to determine cost/benefit of that approach. Also, Verity would need extensive renovations to come up to the current OSFC standards.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 1:47pm
Ms. Andrew:
"The bottom line is that the contract between the teachers union and the school district sets out how many working days per year, and how many hours per day with students and without we may require teachers to work"

Precisely Ms. Andrew. And how do you think this relationship between the teachers and the school board got to this point where they are telling YOU the way it will be? Your board and those before you gave in to their demands and your board and those that came before you backed down to keep them in place. Intimidation. Collective bargaining and contract negotiations appear to be one-sided, with them winning each time and the taxpauyer getting the shaft.

Ms. Andrew:

"Unless every other district in the area decided at the same time to add weeks of school for no additional pay, we would have no teachers left"

All unions can be busted if they are unreasonable. Unreasonable/overdemanding unions are shoved out the door all the time and replaced by non-union workers, doing the same jobs with less bennies and a lower pay rate. Could be done with the teachers union too. Just would take that one district that says we've had enough. Sure you would have teachers left. How about ex-military, retired managers looking for some day time hours to fill. Alot of college educated people being released from employment everyday in the private sector that, with a teaching license, could fill the departing union teachers position. New college grads in education every year. Why does a district have to be unionized? Do ALL public employees have to be unionized? Would take some time to put into place but not out of the question. You could get rid of overdemanding teacher's union people. If the private world can do it, the academic world could also.

Ms. Andrew:

"and wouldn't you leave to go to another employer that offers the same or more pay for x number of weeks less work?"

Ms. Andrew, I have worked for 44 years with 8 different employers from large companies like P&G and International Paper to small companies like Neaton Auto Products and Crane Plastics. I left some for more money, management was intolerable, or to get away from shift work, but never for "less days worked". All about the same weekly work hours, even the ones where I worked shift work. No. I left most because of poor management practices and the worker/manager relationships that don't pan out alot of times. On occasion, the working environment produced so much political manure, it became intolerable for alot of the workers. Many companies become an employee revolving door for this reason. So....you leave.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

LMAO, thank you for your clarification, I was taking a different meaning from your suggestion of year round school. So, are you suggesting that Verity would be big enough if the students were on a split/dual track schedule?

I think the dual track would still be more expensive, because it would require the teachers and other staff to work year round? A new building is a one-time expense, whereas a payroll increase repeats each year, so there would need to be a detailed financial analysis to determine cost/benefit of that approach. Also, Verity would need extensive renovations to come up to the current OSFC standards.
It should be big enough.Lived in Florida and daughter went to year round school and seemed to work then and still working.The teachers in Florida loved working year round cos they didnt have to go out during the months they was off to find a part-time job for those months.I dont know about anyone else but I would much rather pay someone to crunch some numbers to see what the cost would be for staff and for the renovations before I vote to build a new school.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 10:13am
It seems to work well in the Las Vegas area school system
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 12:11pm
Well, here it comes folks. Gonna ask you to give up some bond money now....

Journal story- 11/22/2012...

District names front runners for possible building project

Middletown City Schools took another step toward updating its secondary school buildings by making a recommendation for hiring an architect firm and construction manager.
A school board subcommittee made a preliminary recommendation Monday to hire the architectural firm of Fanning Howey and the construction management firm of Quandel Construction to build a new middle school and renovate the existing high school.
The district is considering a bond issue on the May ballot to build a new middle school. Initial cost estimates were $29.5 million, which included demolition of the current middle school building on Girard Avenue and the building of a new school. The district had hoped to receive assistance from the Ohio School Facilities Commission, but that state money may not be offered for another two to three years.

CAN'T WAIT FOR 2 OR 3 MORE YEARS FOR SOME STATE FINANCIAL HELP? GOTTA HAVE IT NOW, DO YOU?

The subcommittee was made up of school board members Greg Tyus and Katie McNeil, Long, school superintendent Greg Rasmussen and Thorpe. Based on submitted material, the group evaluated and interviewed the companies for more than seven hours Monday.

WHAT? NO REGULAR CITIZENS FROM THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY TO REPRESENT THE PEOPLE ON THIS? NO ONE WHO IS WELL-VERSED IN THE BUILDING TRADE FOR INPUT? JUST SCHOOL PEOPLE WHO MAY OR MAY NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CONSTRUCTION AND THEREFORE BELIEVE ANYTHING TOLD TO THEM? YOU ARE PLANNING THE ASK THE PEOPLE TO RELEASE SOME BOND MONEY. THE LEAST YOU COULD HAVE DONE WAS TO HAVE THE PEOPLE REPRESENTED IN THIS. WHY JUST NON-QUALIFIED SCHOOL PEOPLE IN ON THIS?

“We had good design in the elementary buildings that gave us flexibility in those classrooms,” McNeil said. “It’s wonderful for the new elementary schools to have the flexibility and space that would enable us to have all-day kindergarten. Some districts aren’t able to afford that opportunity, and so, thanks to the builders’ foresight into what was needed in those schools, we’re very fortunate to have that and to be able to offer it.”

NO, McNEIL, THANKS TO THE VOTERS FOR RELEASING THE FUNDS TO BUILD IN THE FIRST PLACE.

FOLKS, LET'S NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE TWICE ON BOND RELEASES FOR NEW SCHOOLS. THIS DISTRICT STILL HASN'T PROVEN THAT THE NEW ELEMENTARY'S WERE A GOOD DECISION AS TO THE PROMISED PERFORMANCE. BESIDES, THEY CAN WAIT 2 OR 3 MORE YEARS FOR SOME ADDITIONAL AID ON FUNDS. JMO
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 11:44am
Agree with you Vet.The few friends I have and 2 votes from this house we   will be voting "NO".How about Hiring someone to look at the year round school proprosal which we all know it will take a couple of years and then bring it to the table? Sorry but whom ever was on board at the time of the last big build should have done alot more homework then what they done.Smile
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 8:14am
Sunday's Journal....

District moves forward with building plan
Plan includes new gym, middle school and renovated high school

FAVORITE
VOTE (0)
By John Bombatch
Staff Writer
A new competition gymnasium to replace Wade E. Miller Gym, a revamped Tiger Ellison training complex, a renovated and expanded high school and a brand new middle school are all pieces of a master building plan Middletown City Schools officials would like to execute in the next few years.
But first, district officials and the Middletown Board of Education will spend the next several weeks crunching numbers, analyzing data, weighing construction options and figuring out how to fund such an enterprise. District officials took their first step toward getting those plans off the ground this week when they began interviewing several architectural and construction management firms in hopes of creating a professional team that would help them through the building process.

WELL SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!! GEE, THEY SURE KNOW HOW TO PRIME THE PUBLIC PUMP, DON'T THEY?

I LIKE THIS....

"AND HOW TO FUND SUCH AND ENTERPRISE". I LIKE THE WORDING BOMBATCH. LAUGHABLE. THEIR GONNA FUND IT BY GETTING IN OUR WALLETS AGAIN. NO NEED TO TALK AROUND IT. WE ALL KNOW THE GAME THEY RUN ON THE TAXPAYER. GONNA BE MORE BOND RELEASES WITH VOTER APPROVAL.....AND THE VOTER WILL PROBABLY BUY THIS NONSENSE HOOK, LINE AND SINKER.

WILL "REVAMPING" THE TIGER ELLISON COMPLEX CONTRIBUTE TO THE ACTUAL SCHOLASTIC RESULTS? IF THE PLAN IS TO BUILD A NEW MIDDLE SCHOOL, AND THE THINKING IS THAT CLOSED DOWN VERITY IS TOO SMALL, WHY NOT ADD ON LIKE YOU ARE PLANNING TO DO WITH THE HIGH SCHOOL? SAME PRINCIPLE, RIGHT?

George Long, the district’s business manager, announced Monday that the Fanning Howey architectural firm and the Quandel Construction Group would be recommended by the school board’s search subcommittee.

AGAIN, THIS SO-CALLED "SUB COMMITTEE" HAS NO CITIZEN PARTICIPATION PARTICULARLY THOSE VERSED IN THE CONSTRUCTION COST TRADE. WHY WAS THAT NOT CONSIDERED?

The idea was that by the time the Ohio School Facilities Commission would offer money from the state for building new schools, Middletown City Schools would be ahead of the game with its building plan already in place.

RIDICULOUS.

SO, BECAUSE YOU PEOPLE CAN'T WAIT, YOU ARE GOING TO LEAN HARD ON THE TAXPAYER AND NOT TAKE THE AVAILABLE MONEY OFFERED? SOUNDS WRONG TO ME. DELAY YOUR PLANS UNTIL THE MONEY IS AVAILABLE.

But with an 89-year-old middle school rapidly deteriorating, district officials decided that change needed to be made sooner than originally expected. The plans changed a bit in January when a community study suggested going ahead with building a new middle school.

I THINK THE DAM SCHOOLS WILL STAND A FEW MONTHS LONGER, DON'T YOU? THE DISTRICT OFFICIALS NEED TO HAVE SOME MORE PATIENCE. YOU DON'T NEED THIS TOMORROW. THE DAM BUILDING HAS BEEN STANDING FOR 89 YEARS. MERCY!

And finally, if all the planned work were done without state funding, the price tag for the entire operation would be $79.5 million

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD SCHOOL PEOPLE. WE ARE IN A DAM RECESSION. PEOPLE ARE OUT OF WORK. GAS/GROCERY PRICES ARE THROUGH THE ROOF. PEOPLE'S PROPERTY VALUES HAVE GONE IN THE TOILET .......AND YOU PEOPLE WANT TO SPEND MONEY LIKE IT'S WATER FOR YOUR OWN GRATIFICATION. TOTALLY OUT OF TOUCH ON WHAT THIS COMMUNITY CAN AFFORD- ALL OF YOU. WRONG TIME/WRONG IDEA/WRONG SITUATION. THE TOWN NEEDS TO BE MORE HEALTHY BEFORE THIS IS SUGGESTED.

Next week’s story will discuss how the district’s future enrollment population is forecast,

GOOD POINT....THE DISTRICT IS LOSING STUDENTS, HAS NOT SHOWN ANY SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT FROM THE NEW ELEMENTARIES BUILT AND THE TOWN IS LOSING PEOPLE. WHY THE ELABORATE SCHOOLS? AND WHY NOW? ALL OF THIS, VERY IRRITATING.

ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 4:09pm
Middletown needs to follow Springboro's lead

Springboro schools in ‘good shape’

by SPRINGBORO SUN on NOVEMBER 14, 2012

By DOUG SKINNER

Editor

dskinner@tcnewsnet.com

SPRINGBORO — The Springboro Community Schools are in “good shape” financially, according to district officials.

The district is “a year or two ahead” of other districts in terms of financial stability, board of education member Jim Rigano said. “I think we’re in a position … We’re in good shape.”

District officials have been making cuts that will help in the future, according to superintendent Todd Petrey. “Saving a little now could prevent us from having to cut a whole lot later … We are educating kids for college and career.”

With today’s economy, most districts are not passing new levies, Petrey said. Because of this, the district must save as much money as possible.

It is important that the district continue to reduce its spending, according to board president Kelly Kohls. “I do know that we are deficit spending, and I know it’s a goal for us not to do that.”

School officials must follow the spending habits of the public, according to board member Wendy Kull. “They’re being more accountable with their money. The district needs to do the same.”

The board will have to put a renewal of a levy that brings in $9.2 million on the ballot in 2013, Petrey said. Because 14 percent of renewals in Ohio fail, Petrey said he would like to see Springboro’s renewal be put on the ballot in May. This would give the district two chances if it were to fail.

“I don’t think there’s any question that we will have to be on the ballot with that renewal,” Rigano said.

“The (district’s) five-year forecast has a lot of assumptions, and it has a lot of critical assumptions,” board member David Petroni said. The timing of when the renewal is put on the ballot is “critical,” he said.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 6:13am
"School officials must follow the spending habits of the public, according to board member Wendy Kull. “They’re being more accountable with their money. The district needs to do the same.”

ATTA GIRL WENDY. LOOKS LIKE THEY FINALLY GET THE PICTURE IN SPRINGBORO. WHAT ABOUT MIDDLETOWN?

"The board will have to put a renewal of a levy that brings in $9.2 million on the ballot in 2013, Petrey said. Because 14 percent of renewals in Ohio fail, Petrey said he would like to see Springboro’s renewal be put on the ballot in May. This would give the district two chances if it were to fail."

AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM. IF YOUR LEVY FAILS, YOU ARE GIVEN MULTIPLE OPPORTUNITIES TO KEEP RAMMING IT DOWN THE VOTER'S THROAT UNTIL THE VOTER GETS SO TIRED OF BEING BEATEN ON, THEY PASS IT JUST TO GET YOU OUT OF WAY. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE NUMBER OF ATTEMPTS CHANGE TO ONE PER CALENDAR YEAR- YOUR CHOICE WHEN. CURRENTLY YOU SCHOOL FOLKS HAVE, WHAT, THREE ATTEMPTS PER YEAR? NOT SURE AS YOU USUALLY ARE SUCCESSFUL AFTER THE SECOND GO-AROUND.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 6:43am
Jameshh:

"Can you handle the rule truth?"

WE ALREADY KNOW THE TRUTH.

Jameshh:

"We truly do need to replace the middle school building as it is a broken building. It is not up to codes for handicap students, has poor lighting, poor plumbing, VERY poor heating system and NO air conditioning."

NO AIR CONDITIONING? REPLACE THE LIGHTING. BUILD SOME HANDICAPPED RAMPS AND FIXTURES, AND UPGRADE THE HEATING SYSTEM WHILE SAVAGING THE DUCT WORK. CAN'T BE MORE THAN BUILDING A NEW SCHOOL. MERCY! ANOTHER BELIEVER THAT NEW SCHOOLS MEAN AUTOMATIC IMPROVEMENTS IN PERFORMANCE.

"Our children and teachers cannot perform at levels they are capable when dealing with the environment we have stuck them in."

HORSECRAP JAMESHH. THEY HAVEN'T PERFORMED IN THE NEW BUILDINGS EITHER. THERE HAVE BEEN GENERATIONS OF STUDENTS THAT HAVE PERFORMED IN THE SAME ENVIRONMENT. WE HAVE PROVEN THAT THE ACTUAL PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT MEANS LESS THAN THE CONTENT OF WHAT IS TAUGHT IN THAT ENVIRONMENT COUPLED WITH THE CONTROL OF THE CLASSROOM WITH MINIMAL DISRUPTIONS. THE ACTUAL ROOMS AREN'T THE PROBLEM. IT'S WHAT IS OCCURING IN THOSE ROOMS THAT MATTERS. THE OLD ADAGE OF THE PIG WITH LIPSTICK....MAKE IT PRETTY, PUT LIPSTICK ON IT, DRESS IT UP......BUT IT'S STILL A PIG.

Jameshh:

"The rule truth of why are scores are not high though is we have VERY high numbers of kids on free and reduced lunches and a lot of parents that just don't care!"

NOW YOU'RE TALKING! AND THE CITY LEADERS (AND THE LOUSY ECONOMY) HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THOSE HIGH NUMBERS BY INVITING THE ELEMENT OF SOCIETY TO TOWN THAT PRODUCES HIGH PARTICIPATION IN HANDOUT PROGRAMS LIKE FREE LUNCHES.

BUT THAT'S NOT THE WHOLE TRUTH AS TO WHY THE SCORES ARE NOT HIGH. METHOD OF INSTRUCTION, HOLDING STUDENTS ACCOUNTABLE AND COMING DOWN HARD ON NON-PERFORMANCE (STOP THE COTTLING), SOME LACK OF CARING AND DEDICATION BY STAFF AND TEACHERS TOWARD DECENT RESULTS/BAR SET TOO LOW, SOME PARENTS NOT CARING NOR WORKING WITH THE SCHOOLS.......

Jameshh:

"ALL parents have to have a greater involment in their child's life and several parents need to quit thinking their little brats can do no wrong."

YEP, BUT IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN WITH SOME PARENTS. THEY HAVE THE KIDS, REFUSE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY, AND TURN THEM LOOSE ON SOCIETY TO TAKE CARE OF.

Jameshh:

"All you negative pukers on here should go visit our middle schools for several days and see what the staff goes thru with some of our kids and parents or let me say lack of real parenting and then you will have a much better understanding of why the scores are where they are"

NEGATIVE PUKERS? SHOW US SOMETHING POSITIVE ABOUT YOUR LITTLE SCHOOL SYSTEM AND WE'LL STOP POUNDING AWAY ON LESS THAN ACCEPTABLE RESULTS WE HAVE BEEN SEEING FROM THIS DISTRICT FOR DECADES. WHEN PROGRESS IS MADE AND MAINTAINED (LOSS OF INDICATORS), WE WILL RECOGNIZE IT IN A POSITIVE MANNER. UNTIL THEN.......

Jameshh:

"so yes it's true that we are so very close to achieving that next level."

STILL WAITING (FOR DECADES NOW).....TBD.

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:29am

Enrollment decline could cost district state dollars
http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/news/local/enrollment-decline-could-cost-district-state-dolla/nTLRD/

Courtesy: Ohio School Design Manual, Ohio Facilities Construction Commission
The Journal is committed to bringing its readers all the details regarding the Middletown City School District’s building plans. Reporter John Bombatch researched through the 40-page Draft Report which provided the DeJong Healy subcontractor’s enrollment projection data as of August, 2012. He learned that enrollment figures have dropped by 1,214 students over the past 10 years.
Sooo...even with the increase of Section 8 vouchers with an average of two children per household within this time period, we are still loosing population and students at our schools.
That drop in numbers, along with the enrollment reports’ forecast of a declining student population, could potentially cost the school district millions in state funding for its new schools.
If Mr. Adkins reduces 1,000 Section 8 voucher that will remove another 2,000 students from this projection....ooops

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 6:51am
Journal story....

District begins negotiations with building partners
Cost estimates established from negotiations will determine amount of bond levy on May ballot.

THIS IS A SURPRISE.

SO, BASED ON WHAT THE PEOPLE ON THE SCHOOL BOARD WANT AND BASED ON WHAT SOME HAND-PICKED COMMITTEE RECOMMENDED, THE SCHOOL BOARD IS TAKING THE OPINIONS OF A SMALL MINORITY OF THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE HERE AND RUNNING WITH THEIR WANTS......NEVER MIND FINDING OUT WHAT THE COMMUNITY AT LARGE WANTS OR CAN AFFORD.

MY HOPE IS THAT THE VOTERS, COME BOND APPROVAL TIME, WILL EVALUATE WHAT THEY RECEIVED IN APPROVING THE 45 MIL TO BUILD THE ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS AND VOTE THIS DOWN. JUST CAN'T KEEP GIVING THE SCHOOL PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT UNTIL THEY START IMPROVING PERFORMANCE AND JUSTIFYING THE ADDITIONAL OUTLAY OF MONEY FOR NEW SCHOOLS ALREADY BUILT. IF WE KEEP GIVING THEM WHAT THEY WANT, THERE IS NO INCENTIVE FOR THE SCHOOLS TO IMPROVE IN A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME. APPARENTLY, THE "DO A GOOD JOB, THEN REAP THE REWARDS" THEME HAS TURNED TO "GIVE US WHAT WE WANT AND WE'LL "TRY" TO DO BETTER" APPROACH. RIDICULOUS. JMO
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 8:04am

Hmmm….Let me put on my thinking cap….

1. City Hall needs 150 to 200 million dollars for the combined sewer project
    within the next two years.
2. City Hall needs another 2 million dollar bond so they can tear down more
    buildings in “Their Downtown” in 2013 for more CS parking.
3. City Hall wants to increase taxes so we can afford more fire and police.
4. City Hall wants to put an extra charge on my water bill to pay for repairing the  

streets and or street lighting.
….…..and now the School Board wants more money to build new schools.

All of this while investments are making no return and property in this town has lost half its value. Confused

Edited by Vivian Moon - Dec 07 2012 at 8:11am
jsmith2011 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 10:14pm
I'm guessing the school district wants to get that levy passed before the state starts with the new school district grading of A to F. That would make it pretty easy for the taxpayers to figure out exactly where Middletown Schools stood instead of the confusing information they send out now. Currently, the school district turns that information around and around to say what they want it to say. If the grade is an A or an F that will be pretty hard to do....

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 6:29am
Hey! It's almost time for another school building levy!

Today's Journal...

School board OKs moving district offices
Board also considers placing bond issue on May ballot

The board also discussed Monday the possibility of placing a facilities bond issue before voters as soon as May 7. The district is considering building a middle school on the site of the Verity Middle School and renovating Middletown High School.

The approximately $55 million project would cost the owner of a $100,000 home about $10 per month, Long said. He said this would provide enough local funding to complete secondary projects without returning to voters when the state funds become available.

If the levy was passed in May it would take approximately three years to complete projects with a move-in date set for August 2016, according to Long. Once the projects are complete, Long said, the state would owe the district about $40 million in state funds.

No state funds would be distributed until the projects are complete, he said.

The board is set to vote on the levy at its Jan. 28 meeting. The last day to pass a resolution for May election is Feb. 5.

NOW WHAT ARE THE CHANCES THEY WILL RECONSIDER THIS LEVY PLACEMENT FOR MAY? LITTLE TO NONE RIGHT? LIKE MANY TIMES BEFORE, WHEN THEY START TALKING ABOUT A LEVY, IT'S ALWAYS APPROVED. SECURE YOUR WALLET AND HOLD ON TO IT. THEY'RE ABOUT TO TRY TO GET INTO IT AGAIN EVEN THOUGH MOST IN TOWN CAN'T AFFORD TO GIVE ANYMORE. APPARENTLY, THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR SITUATION, MR. PROPERTY OWNER.

JUST REMEMBER IN MAY, WHEN YOU GO TO THE POLLS TO VOTE FOR THEIR SCHOOL UPGRADES, THAT THE 45 MIL BOND LEVY WE GAVE THEM A FEW YEARS AGO, PRODUCING THE FANCY NEW SCHOOLS, HAS PRODUCED LITTLE TO NO IMPROVEMENT, AND THE DISTRICT STILL HAS THE REPUTATION OF BEING A POOR PERFORMER. WHAT HAVE WE TAXPAYING VOTERS GOTTEN FOR OUR MONEY SO FAR? ASK YOURSELF, IS WHAT YOU HAVE SEEN SO FAR WORTH GIVING THEM MORE?

I LIKE THIS FROM RASMUSSEN......GREAT EXAMPLE OF EVADING THE QUESTION.

When questioned why the district would want to be located downtown, instead of the East End, where the city is growing, Superintendent Greg Rasmussen said the district has buildings throughout the city, and bringing the jobs to the City Building could make for a “stronger downtown.”

DIDN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION, DID HE? DIDN'T TELL US WHY THE EAST END WASN'T CONSIDERED....JUST THAT THE DOWNTOWN WOULD BENEFIT FROM THE MOVE. AND JUST WHY WOULD WE PREFER THE DOWNTOWN BEING "STRONGER" AND NOT CONCENTRATING ON THE EAST END? THE EAST END IS MORE MODERN, LOCATED IN A HIGHER VISIBILITY CONTEXT, IS THE ENTRYWAY TO THE CITY, HIGHER PRICED REAL ESTATE AND WOULD ATTRACT FAR MORE BUSINESS THAN THE DOWNTOWN. THE EAST END WAS THE FOCAL POINT FOR GROWTH FOR DECADES. NOW, BECAUSE OF SOME DREAMS, WISHES AND DESIRES FROM A SMALL SEGMENT OF THE TOWN'S POPULATION TO CONCENTRATE ON THE DOWNTOWN, IT IS NO LONGER PRIORITY ONE? AS OPPOSED TO THE ANTIQUATED DOWNTOWN AREA? SERIOUSLY?
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 11:22am
Again I and others will be Voting "NO". I say it would be a safe bet that they didnt even look into year round school.
I dont care where they move to but I think its funny what the Super Duper said about movng downtown.LOL
Chris Fiora View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Fiora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 12:02pm
LMAO,
Year round school doesn't address the issues facing Middletown City Schools.  Year round schools make sense when there are more students than there is class room space (for a 9 month school year).  By going to school year round school disticts are able to strech their limited class room space.  This is just like a company who's machine is full of business for day shift.  Rather than buy another machine, the company will add a second shift.

Middletown doesn't suffer a lack of class room space in the Middle School.  The issue with the Middle School is that it is old and antiquated and is not properly located.  It's fairly straight forward to fix the old and antiquated, but this will not change its location.  Middletown Schools lose a lot of students between elementary school and the middle school due to them not wanting their children to go to the current middle school.  You can agree or disagree about the Middle School but the choice is up to the parent's and they are voting with their feet.

If you agree with a new middle school, the high school work follows because the state will pay for it.  If Middletown passes on the state money, the money will not be returned to Ohio taxpayers but will simply go to a different school district.  I personnally don't agree with this system but it's the system that we have in Ohio and we might as well use it to our own advantage.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Chris Fiora Chris Fiora wrote:

LMAO,
Year round school doesn't address the issues facing Middletown City Schools.  Year round schools make sense when there are more students than there is class room space (for a 9 month school year).  By going to school year round school disticts are able to strech their limited class room space.  This is just like a company who's machine is full of business for day shift.  Rather than buy another machine, the company will add a second shift.

Middletown doesn't suffer a lack of class room space in the Middle School.  The issue with the Middle School is that it is old and antiquated and is not properly located.  It's fairly straight forward to fix the old and antiquated, but this will not change its location.  Middletown Schools lose a lot of students between elementary school and the middle school due to them not wanting their children to go to the current middle school.  You can agree or disagree about the Middle School but the choice is up to the parent's and they are voting with their feet.

If you agree with a new middle school, the high school work follows because the state will pay for it.  If Middletown passes on the state money, the money will not be returned to Ohio taxpayers but will simply go to a different school district.  I personnally don't agree with this system but it's the system that we have in Ohio and we might as well use it to our own advantage.

Mr. Fiora:

Actually, the "more students than classroom space" issue was addressed a long time ago in the Middletown school system. When I was a senior in 1966, there were too many students for the high school( old Vail-the middle school now) to handle. My graduating class alone had 567 kids that graduated that year, not counting the juniors and sophomores (9th grade was still considered junior high school back then and not involved). To accomodate the three grades, the schools decided to have the seniors and half the juniors attend from 7AM until 12 noon and the other half of the junior class and the sophomores attend from 1PM until 6PM. If you had a study hall at the end of the day, you were asked to leave and not attend as they wanted as many students out of the building as posible to relieve crowding in the hallways during class changes. Seemed to work back then. If this has proven, in the past, to be a workable solution to the overcrowding of the school, then year around school could be done. It is my understanding that the suggestion of year around school is to devote more time to academics to give this district a fighting chance to improve their performance with the idea of more time in school yields better results. To date,nothing else has worked in all the attempts made to improve. I see no reason not to give the year around/split shift for students program a try. What does this district have to lose? JMO

As to your comment about the middle school "not being properly located" Why not? For decades, it was properly located for the entire town. Students either drove to school, their parents drove them to school or the Ortman-Stewart city bus took you to school. (There were no yellow buses back then) That is another option toward getting to this "poorly located" school. It is in proximity to downtown, which is now deemed worthy of the town's interest. The city thinks this area is "properly located" don't they based on all the activity around that area and the money they have thrown into the area. The school is not that far from the city's favorite location nowadays. You wouldn't be deeming this school "not properly located" because you are trying to convince the public that a new school needs to be built that IS properly located, would you? By the way, who determines what "properly located" is when you are pulling kids in from all parts of the city?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic