FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Street Conditions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Street Conditions
    Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 3:16pm
I found this PDF on the city website where on Page 54 it shows the current road conditions as of 2010. Thought you all might find this interesting.

http://www.ci.middletown.oh.us/docs/commsvc/conplan.pdf

ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 3:18pm
Here is also the link where the city did a study on all the neighborhoods in Middletown. I gotta say being new to Middletown I am glad I live on Dover Ave. 

http://www.ci.middletown.oh.us/docs/commsvc/nprofiles.pdf
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 8:20pm
ktf, I was on the street repair committee years ago. Had meetings periodically. Alot of gum flapping. Not too much real action nor content to them. Died on the vine with no real value gained from it. End result as of today.......the city says if you want your street repaired/repaved, ya gotta convince all your neighbors to go along with it and have the costs added to their property taxes for the next decade or two. Haven't heard of one neighborhood that has "taken advantage" of the city's offer to shaft the property owners.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 1:02pm
I just don't know why they don't start with the smaller neighborhood streets first. It would make sense because you can do more of them, rather than working on one major road project that eats up your entire road repair budget. Also it gives the illusion that the city is actually doing something for its residence.  They could easily do one neighborhood street in as many subdivision a year that they can afford. And slowly improve the roads over time.

I also found the Study on the Neighborhoods an eye opener. This is good information to know what parts of Middletown to stay away from. And what is needed to improve them. 

http://www.ci.middletown.oh.us/docs/commsvc/nprofiles.pdf

Edited by ktf1179 - Dec 21 2012 at 1:07pm
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:07pm
They will never get to the residential streets (unless you live in the historic districts of course ) Lived on Stratford Dr. in Ward 1 for 20 years. Houses built in the late 70's on that street. Still has the original blacktop and is slowly going to the subsurface. That neighborhood won't see road work for at least another decade at best. Same for most residential areas. I believe you said you moved into Ayershire subdivision. That was the latest and greatest in subdivisions in the 60's. Now, forgotten about by the city like most other areas that were once valued. Countryside around Shirm, Nelson and Riverview was the high roller area in the 60's. Now, also forgotten about by the city. On my way to work, I travel through the Oaks, where some high rollers live now. Even those streets have issues as to maintenance. Manchester Manor, another high roller area prior to the Oaks being built, could be added to the list of neglected areas.

Study of the neighborhoods.....I've lived here for 48 of my 64 years. Most who have lived here that long will tell you that the areas of town that were once prominent, have been infiltrated by people who haven't maintained the standards that were once held in those areas of town. Grand Ave., for example, use to be real nice from Highland St. on out past Jackson Lane and out to Breile. Now.......not as nice as it once was. The homes have turned over since the heyday of the 50's and 60's and have not had the level of care that was given by previous owners. Kensington St., Euclid......even Dorset Dr.....all were once just "a little nicer" than what you see today IMO. Same with the larger homes between Jackson Lane and Breile on Grand as you go further out east. Anything east...north of Highland was once considered "really nice and respectable". Now, the emphasis in "niceness" has shifted to the north/northeast toward the Marshall/N. Breile/ Manchester Rd. areas, with pockets of "niceness" occasionally concentrated in small locations for the rest of the city. In general, the whole town, no matter what the area, looked "a little nicer" and neater 40 years ago. Now, not so much. There are exceptions of course. Rosedale Rd, west of Breile, has been one of the few areas that has maintained itself, looking much as it did 50 years ago. The Highlands around the old hospital area, McGee Ave..... the same. Very nice areas. Different breed of homeowner with less disposable income for upkeep perhaps occupying property nowadays. JMO Others may disagree.

Edited by VietVet - Dec 21 2012 at 7:19pm
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic